Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My K2 arrived today. The backlight mode that makes waves of color shoot out from pressed keys made me giggle like an idiot. I currently have it set to alien semen yellow and am well pleased.

Within like five minutes I said out loud to no one and google "oh, that's why there's normally empty space around backspace" but who gives a poo poo: there's room on my keyboard tray for my mouse now.

Just got my K8 today as well. Haven't even plugged it to test it yet and I've already removed the keycaps and switches :D

I'm quite pleased with how the board is mounted and the strength of the plate despite being cheaper aluminum. It's got a fair amount of give to it but flexes right back. Probably because it's mounted by a DOZEN screws, which is pretty awesome imo.

of course the switches and caps got removed IMMEDIATELY after taking it out of the box and taking this picture.

Gonna throw some Hako Clears on it and probably some other keycaps.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Okay this poo poo is pretty good now.
Swapped Gateron poo poo browns for the OG Hako Clears and it's fantastic.

Typing sounds a bit muted and hollow which is actually kinda of nice to be honest. The spacebar fukkin THOCKS.
The stabs are actually REALLY good in this and very well lubed with some heavy poo poo.
Bluetooth is excellent.
I don't mind not having scroll Lock or Pause keys (be real when was the last time you used PAUSE) but FOR gently caress'S SAKE WHY ARE THERE TWO GODDAMN WINDOWS KEYS?!?!
Like just give me a goddamn menu key in Windows mode.
The only other mild complaint I have is that there's a definite lack of colors to choose from in solid color mode and I wish the LEDs were just a touch brighter. Also you can't change the speed of the effects which is irksome.
Otherwise it's a great keeb. It's really light so I imagine it will travel well. There's a nice lip around the edge on the underside of the board so if I can get my hands on some poltcarbonate I might try my hand at making a slide-on travel cover for it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Okay this poo poo is pretty good now.
Swapped Gateron poo poo browns for the OG Hako Clears and it's fantastic.

Typing sounds a bit muted and hollow which is actually kinda of nice to be honest. The spacebar fukkin THOCKS.
The stabs are actually REALLY good in this and very well lubed with some heavy poo poo.
Bluetooth is excellent.
I don't mind not having scroll Lock or Pause keys (be real when was the last time you used PAUSE) but FOR gently caress'S SAKE WHY ARE THERE TWO GODDAMN WINDOWS KEYS?!?!
Like just give me a goddamn menu key in Windows mode.
The only other mild complaint I have is that there's a definite lack of colors to choose from in solid color mode and I wish the LEDs were just a touch brighter. Also you can't change the speed of the effects which is irksome.
Otherwise it's a great keeb. It's really light so I imagine it will travel well. There's a nice lip around the edge on the underside of the board so if I can get my hands on some poltcarbonate I might try my hand at making a slide-on travel cover for it.

i see a windows key, a menu key, and a fn key. what's this about 2 windows keys?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Deviant posted:

i see a windows key, a menu key, and a fn key. what's this about 2 windows keys?

He was referring to the layout the K8 ships with, not the keycaps he put on it. The Menu(?) key on the right side is also a Windows key by default.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Do you 60% board users never miss the rest of the keys? I can dig the portability of them, but they seem really cramped.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Boz0r posted:

Do you 60% board users never miss the rest of the keys? I can dig the portability of them, but they seem really cramped.

I did eventually. The ones I missed most were the arrow cluster. Also the backtick. I got annoying having to press 3 buttons to get a backtick, which when coding or writing a lot of markdown documentation is really irritating.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just dedicated arrow keys, really. But a function key on CapsLk hold + WASD is a workable substitute.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Constellation I posted:

Just dedicated arrow keys, really. But a function key on CapsLk hold + WASD is a workable substitute.

I found that too irritating after a while and could never get the muscle memory down.

Which is weird considering how long I've used wasd for movement in games.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Boz0r posted:

I don't have any missing keys on my 60%, they're just in a different layer.

The one key I actually "miss" on any non-full sized board is the numpad enter because I can hit that without taking my hand off the mouse.

.Z. posted:

He was referring to the layout the K8 ships with, not the keycaps he put on it. The Menu(?) key on the right side is also a Windows key by default.

this.
here's what it looks like out of the box:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 15, 2020

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Delete and arrows are about all I regularly use outside of the standard alpha cluster so my custom 60% layout works really well for me. Now when I switch to my TKL I have to readjust to esc being so far away.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm personally glad I went with the K4, I love the numpad. Only issues I have are that I'm still having trouble finding the arrow keys by touch, there's no printscreen, and there's no capslock indicator which is absurd and I wish I could find some sort of software fix for, it seems like it would be trivial to fix.

edit: I apologize, Keychron, yall made an easy fix for this

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 15, 2020

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

.Z. posted:

If nothing else, the greasing really should be done on any board.

Also I've run out of ideas of how to make my stabilizer keys (especially the spacebar) quieter.
They've been clipped, lubed and greased, band-aid modded, and heatshrinked. I've also added foam to the Backspace and Spacebar and the improvements are minimal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AEsz9KvM8A

Any thoughts on what I could do? Re-do the lubing/greasing? More grease? More foam?

don't suppose you could take a pick of the stabilizers? Will they hold themselves up just from the lube like in my pic?

Really the only thing I can think of is that you didn't use enough or perhaps what you used is too thin. If the spacebar is uneven I imagine that the sides could bottom out and back up and so some resonance thing but that is 100% pure speculation I just pulled out of my rear end.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Boz0r posted:

Try a 65%, it's the best of both worlds - still very portable, but you get arrows, delete, etc. without layers.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Is it too much to ask for a simple looking hotswappable rgb fullsize Filco Majestouch 2 style deck possibly with cherry stabilizers and a removable cable without the floating switch design or a possible switch mutilation prerequisite (GMMK)?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Is it too much to ask for a simple looking hotswappable rgb fullsize Filco Majestouch 2 style deck possibly with cherry stabilizers and a removable cable without the floating switch design or a possible switch mutilation prerequisite (GMMK)?

Have you considered just modding a majestouch or paying someone else to do it? I don't think anyone is coming out with a nice clean high profile RGB hotswappable full-size. And by that I mean there isn't a single IC thread for one right now.

Also, did y'all know this was a thing?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/qwerkywriter-s-typewriter-mechanical-keyboard#/

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Massdrop will probably eventually do a high profile version of the Shift.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I did find a 120 in interest check but it's no hotswap

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106501.0

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral
Does anyone have experience ordering from The Key Dot Co? Nice quality? Reliable?

I’m looking to swap the Infinikey Amalfi Keycaps into my Keychron K2.

I’m pretty new to mechanical keyboard stuff, so this would be my first purchase to customize my K2.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Nondescript Van posted:

don't suppose you could take a pick of the stabilizers? Will they hold themselves up just from the lube like in my pic?

Really the only thing I can think of is that you didn't use enough or perhaps what you used is too thin. If the spacebar is uneven I imagine that the sides could bottom out and back up and so some resonance thing but that is 100% pure speculation I just pulled out of my rear end.

Yeah they can stand from the lube.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Did you also lube where the plastic parts contact each other? I see people doing this with the same lube they use for switches but I'm not sure how much it helps.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Grimmeh posted:

Does anyone have experience ordering from The Key Dot Co? Nice quality? Reliable?

I’m pretty new to mechanical keyboard stuff, so this would be my first purchase to customize my K2.

Infinikey makes the keycaps, it's just being sold through TKC.

I don't think infinikey has really been around long enough for people to have a good sense of quality, but it seems pretty decent from the random discussion I've seen on reddit.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I did find a 120 in interest check but it's no hotswap

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106501.0

drat that's actually a sweet layout, I actually dig that sorta squished fullsize thing, I would consider that, the extent of my soldering skills was me at 13 resoldering the laser wires back onto a few different playstations.

edit: same answer to your other question, though I'd really rather not botch my filco, though I suppose I can learn on my tenkeyless filco which I'm not that into

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 17, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Grimmeh posted:

Yeah key company is legit. It's just infinikey plastic sold through another company, but it's really decent.
You should come join us for some of their twitch streams, or their discords. They're real tight knit with the community and they work hard to bring you good products.
Amalfi is a fantastic set and you can buy in rest assured it will be good quality.
I almost bought in to that set as well but I really just don't have use for another Cherry profile set in the foreseeable future. If it were GMK then MAYYYYYYYYYBE. KAT? Definitely. DSA? Probably. But just not Cherry/OEM.
That colorway will look really good on the K2 though. I considered it for my K8.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah key company is legit. It's just infinikey plastic sold through another company, but it's really decent.
You should come join us for some of their twitch streams, or their discords. They're real tight knit with the community and they work hard to bring you good products.
Amalfi is a fantastic set and you can buy in rest assured it will be good quality.
I almost bought in to that set as well but I really just don't have use for another Cherry profile set in the foreseeable future. If it were GMK then MAYYYYYYYYYBE. KAT? Definitely. DSA? Probably. But just not Cherry/OEM.
That colorway will look really good on the K2 though. I considered it for my K8.
Thanks Gnarly and everyone else that replied! Joining the discord!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

drat that's actually a sweet layout, I actually dig that sorta squished fullsize thing, I would consider that, the extent of my soldering skills was me at 13 resoldering the laser wires back onto a few different playstations.

edit: same answer to your other question, though I'd really rather not botch my filco, though I suppose I can learn on my tenkeyless filco which I'm not that into

You could also get an fc980m, which is almost the same thing, except pre-built

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

Infinikey makes the keycaps, it's just being sold through TKC.

I don't think infinikey has really been around long enough for people to have a good sense of quality, but it seems pretty decent from the random discussion I've seen on reddit.

Seconding. TKC is legit. The Infinikey White on Black set they did at the beginning of the year arrived last month and it’s a well made set. Had issues with two keys, sent them a note and they will be replacing those keys.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Llamadeus posted:

Did you also lube where the plastic parts contact each other? I see people doing this with the same lube they use for switches but I'm not sure how much it helps.

Yeah, I had them greased initially, but that made them a bit 'sticky' on the return. Now they're just lubed with switch lubricant.

Anyhow, I decided to use a bit more grease and it's helped a bit more. But I'm still stuck with the clack on the return (especially from the spacebar).

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Dramicus posted:

I have and they're nice, I did point that aspect out it's true but the main thing about that board for me was the extra row of f-keys at the top like a 122 key model m but without the awful + shaped arrow key cluster and the ESC key is in it's proper place.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u here something to tide you over till it ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X492gdfNZBc

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I JUST SPILLED SOME poo poo ON MY 'BOARD AND hosed IT. I NEED A NEW COOL KEYBOARD. I LIKE THE CLICKITY CLACK BUT MY FRIENDS HATE THE CHERRY KEYS OVER DISCORD OR W/E. LEDS AND BEING VERY PRETTY IS VITAL, I'M YELLING BECAUSE I'M MAD AT MYSELF gently caress

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Farg posted:

I JUST SPILLED SOME poo poo ON MY 'BOARD AND hosed IT. I NEED A NEW COOL KEYBOARD. I LIKE THE CLICKITY CLACK BUT MY FRIENDS HATE THE CHERRY KEYS OVER DISCORD OR W/E. LEDS AND BEING VERY PRETTY IS VITAL, I'M YELLING BECAUSE I'M MAD AT MYSELF gently caress

What is your budget?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Wash your keyboard with water and then dry it

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
As dumb as that design and LCD placement is (and it's REALLY dumb), the video is kind of winning me over.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dramicus posted:

I have that one and it's an excellent board

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Farg posted:

I thought you were yelling because the spill broke your caps lock

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

taqueso posted:

Wash your keyboard with water and then dry it

No, OP wants to get him myself something shiny and we need to assure him that he deserves it

OP go buy into a group buy and be excited to get a cool board in 6-24 months

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Farg posted:

Discord now has built in noise suppression by Krisp. Not as good as RTX Voice but still works pretty well at suppressing noise.

Basically what I'm saying is, embrace the clacks and don't hold back.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just dumped coffee into a board. Ripped it apart, doused it with distilled water.. and I mean in everything, in the switches, etc. Kept pouring a whole gallon. Then i doused with rubbing alcohol and then blew the poo poo out of it with a leaf blower. Worked great, no residue, no sticky.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I saw this on Reddit (while searching for Blank Pudding Keycaps) and I actually like this a fuckload

Any idea who makes these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SalTheBard posted:

I saw this on Reddit (while searching for Blank Pudding Keycaps) and I actually like this a fuckload

Any idea who makes these?

sandpaper.