Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Man, that dry lightning was something. It rained a bit at the time, it's raining down on the Peninsula where I live right now. My son, who grew up in NC, is grimly warning his friends that they think heat is bad, they haven't seen heat + humidity. He said that weather.com (I can't find it) says that if it lasts long enough, the off-and-on rain might break the weather pattern causing the heat wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Southern California checking in. High of 82 this week, partly cloudy.

I picked up food in long beach near the coast. It was a practically a no-mask party and everything was shoved out onto the sidewalks. Packed bars everywhere.

Walked through like 3 restaurants to get to mine and everyone at the restaurants had huge smiles on their faces watching me.

Absolutely terrifying.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Well orange county and riverside are seeing triple digits.

I was watching a flood of morons pouring out of the local mega church. They have an outside tent setup.
Many park their cars across the street in nearby business and neighborhoods. So naturally there was a recall Newsom petition going on catching those leaving. Nobody leaving the church, or people gathering to sign the petition were wearing a mask.
loving death cult is loving it up for the rest of us. Havent seen many people I love since March and I want to rip my loving ears off.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just the worst (California) weather in the bay area right now. Hot dry thunderstorm, windy as gently caress all night, humidity up. Its only going to get hotter too. Expectin more blackouts

Hi there friend we live in the same county of not ~5 miles of each other.

To a fellow nbay goon. HOLY gently caress LAST NIGHT WAS BAD. like press democrat is saying that is the worst thunderstorm we've ever had. The bolts were loving massive. The wind blew a chair in my office over. poo poo was insane from 4am to 8 am.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I got woken up a few times in the East Bay. I can't remember the last time we've had a tropical storm with this much heat in the Bay. I remember tropical storms as a kid but the temps were in the low 70s not the 80s-90s

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I was woken up for a while, definitely the biggest thunderstorm I can remember up here, and the only ones close were in the middle of winter

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I woke up, then stayed in a hazy daze interrupted by thunderbolts, and eventually I fell all the way asleep and got Kafka dreams.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

i woke up early because it was too hot, so i opened my window and then woke up again 30 minutes later because wind slammed my door and also wow thunder, and then i got paranoid rain would blast through my window any second, but it was too hot to close it. definitely not a normal bay area storm, felt like i was on the east coast or the south

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We did a night hike last night here in SLO and were rewarded with the smell of smoke from a nearby fire and a mild light show of the thunderstorm on its way north to you all. Must've been way out over the water at the time, because we couldn't hear it at all.

It was still 80° out when we started the hike at 8 and tiny scorpions were skittering all over :3:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I need to watch 2012 again to remember what happens next

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I woke up, then stayed in a hazy daze interrupted by thunderbolts, and eventually I fell all the way asleep and got Kafka dreams.

Same. My head was cloudy the entire time from waking up to explosions and the humidy. Ugh. This week is gonna be loving horrific. one of the situations Where I can't let my staff boil to death and I'm worried about AC usage with Covid. So it hink what I'll do is run AC from 12 midnight to 8 in the morning to cool the place down as much as possible before anyone shows up.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It will be triple digits today and through much of the week in Sac and I am probably going to die while biking to work as a result. And here I thought it would have been a car that finally did me in.

In non-weather news:

https://twitter.com/PhilTheBern/status/1294914278248443910?s=20

Sacramento solving the COVID crisis by giving the police more money to kill people with.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just the worst (California) weather in the bay area right now. Hot dry thunderstorm, windy as gently caress all night, humidity up. Its only going to get hotter too. Expectin more blackouts

San Francisco at least is supposed to drop back down to mid 70's according to what I've seen. Oakland/San Jose look like they're supposed to peak tomorrow then get better

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Holy poo poo, lightning struck twice a few minutes ago near my apartment and I thought it was bombs going off, cars nearby started beeping. It's not even totally overcast where I am. This is some scary weather.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in San Jose and my power hasn't gone off. In fact PG&E have never turned it off in any of the rolling blackouts they've had. Maybe we're close enough to downtown or something? Anyway it was 79 or so at around 1am but when I was woken up at 6am with the thunder, it was 83 somehow!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I can't think of weather conditions more likely to start a fire than sweltering heat and Zeus-like lightning bolts falling at the same time. Besides meteors falling from the sky like loving Sodom and Gomorrah

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I'm in South San Jose and haven't had any blackouts yet thankfully. According to PG&E nothing is scheduled for my address but I stocked up just in case.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm going to do my best to get my husband to approve talking to Peninsula Clean Energy. Unlike going solar with PG&E, if you have Peninsula Clean Energy you can keep using your solar/Powerwall to power your own house in the event of a cutoff. Plus all the usual environmental benefits.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unlike going solar with PG&E, if you have Peninsula Clean Energy you can keep using your solar/Powerwall to power your own house in the event of a cutoff.
The gently caress? How would they stop you from using your power powerWall in case of a blackout/disruption???

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's all connected to the grid and feeds back into it. Apparently that's how SCE does it too, it's pretty stupid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

adoration for none posted:

I can't think of weather conditions more likely to start a fire than sweltering heat and Zeus-like lightning bolts falling at the same time. Besides meteors falling from the sky like loving Sodom and Gomorrah

Mom is up West of Sebastopol (way, waaaay North Bay), and she reports getting woken up by extreme wind at 4:30 this morning, followed by heavy lightning. She had her wildfire go-bags out on the deck and ready to run by the time the rain came through. We've seen this kind of heat lightning on the East Coast, but this is very weird for California.

I'm just glad I'm WFH until Thursday when SSF should get a break.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I don't think PG&E cares if you power yourself if you have a proper transfer switch and disconnect from the grid.

While you have an on-grid system, they care because:
1) The inverter generating AC from your solar needs to synchronize its frequency with the grid frequency
2) Your excess generation is backfed into the grid. People working on lines need to be able to deenergize them and know that they are off.

Any on-grid or hybrid solar system you can legally install needs to either turn off or disconnect itself when grid power is down.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm going to do my best to get my husband to approve talking to Peninsula Clean Energy. Unlike going solar with PG&E, if you have Peninsula Clean Energy you can keep using your solar/Powerwall to power your own house in the event of a cutoff. Plus all the usual environmental benefits.
Isn't this specially a hardware problem that is solved with a different inverter and transfer switch? I don't see how changing to a community power supplier makes a difference.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/NWSBayArea/status/1295059478572752896?s=20

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

redreader posted:

I'm in San Jose and my power hasn't gone off. In fact PG&E have never turned it off in any of the rolling blackouts they've had. Maybe we're close enough to downtown or something? Anyway it was 79 or so at around 1am but when I was woken up at 6am with the thunder, it was 83 somehow!

Your city buried their infrastructure and almost never has real fire risks on anything other than the unincorp areas. I envy you for this

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Haha flash flood warning issued for parts of Santa Barbara County. In August. What a time to live in.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Foxfire_ posted:

Any on-grid or hybrid solar system you can legally install needs to either turn off or disconnect itself when grid power is down.
Yeah, that makes sense (especially your #2). It sounded like the other poster was saying that "oops, rolling blackout, can't touch the juice out into my battery" despite that being like the #1 bullet point in marketing the things.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

I don't think PG&E cares if you power yourself if you have a proper transfer switch and disconnect from the grid.

While you have an on-grid system, they care because:
1) The inverter generating AC from your solar needs to synchronize its frequency with the grid frequency
2) Your excess generation is backfed into the grid. People working on lines need to be able to deenergize them and know that they are off.

Aha! Thank you. The whole thing makes much more sense to me now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lmao it was 103 in Pomona yesterday. Although while I was driving I saw temps as high as 114F because of course a gigantic gently caress you heat wave is par of the course for this poo poo-tastic year.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Your city buried their infrastructure and almost never has real fire risks on anything other than the unincorp areas. I envy you for this

This set of blackouts is from generator capacity, not fire risk. If demand goes up past supply, bad things happen.

Solar and wind generation are below normal from messed up weather (I think patterns from the storm in the Midwest last week?), a couple of plants are offline unrelatedly, and heatwave has extra demand. When reserve generator capacity dips too low, the organization that manages the regional grip tells distribution utilities (PG&E) to cut demand immediately with little blackouts to prevent catastrophic blackouts and equipment damage.

I don't know how PG&E picks what specifically to cut.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Other countries with harsher, less predictable climates than California don't have rolling blackouts, gas line explosions and forest fires started by unmaintained infrastrucutre. This is some 3rd world poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How many the size of Cali though?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I mean, its PG&E's lovely lines for a lot of it, LA isn't dealing with blackouts despite it being significantly hotter down there

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Italy is almost the same size as California with drat near the same climate and this poo poo doesn’t happen there.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Japan is roughly the same size, with ~3x the population, earthquakes, volcanos, typhoons, and tsunamis, and they manage alright. One meltdown aside.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ratbert90 posted:

Italy is almost the same size as California with drat near the same climate and this poo poo doesn’t happen there.

And it's got more than 20 million more people to boot. (:rimshot:)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

droll posted:

Other countries with harsher, less predictable climates than California don't have rolling blackouts, gas line explosions and forest fires started by unmaintained infrastrucutre. This is some 3rd world poo poo.

ratbert90 posted:

I feel like Morocco's climate is a better match than Italy, seeing as lots of CA is desert. Death Valley is about as harsh a climate as you can find on earth. The US snowfall record was set in the Sierra Nevada too, so there is some extreme poo poo in CA, but those areas are mostly unpopulated and 90% of people live in Mediterranean climate zones. Anyways, i bet morocco has fewer fires than us too and yeah PG&E executives deserve the guillotine

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, its PG&E's lovely lines for a lot of it, LA isn't dealing with blackouts despite it being significantly hotter down there

Anaheim and Lake Forest had blackouts on Friday

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Boredumb posted:

Anaheim and Lake Forest had blackouts on Friday

Oh, whoops, I saw on Friday night that LADWP had avoided having any rolling blackouts, I forgot that LADWP doesn't cover all of LA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What the hell are you guys on about? A huge heatwave crushed Europe like 10 years ago and they think it's responsible for up to 70,000 deaths. There weren't widespread brownouts because almost no one in Europe has A/C in their homes. So yeah the power didn't go out but a shitload of people died.

We do share the European heatwave problem where everyone built these old houses to the climate of the time and they have no insulation in them. Now the heat comes and everyone needs AC for their old lovely homes and we don't have enough excess capacity to serve an outlier heatwave.