Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

An even weirder situation is the Southern Water Tribe where they could've easily established dominion whenever they wanted to, but just settled for killing off all the waterbenders.
Guessing the poles felt like trash land to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

A thought occurs: would the next Water Avatar be one of the swampbenders?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Eh, I dunno about that. Colonization is what the Fire Nation was doing to the Earth Kingdom, and that was harsh, but not genocide. They genocided the Air Nomads because they wanted to genocide the Air Nomads,

i thought they genocided the air nomads cause they wanted to make sure the avatar was dead?

actually thinking about it, the fire nation wasn't 'that' bad when it came to the people they conquered. in that one episode when that one fire nation governer was tricked into thinking the citizens of that city had some kind of plague, he was simply content to banish them instead of outright engaging in systematic slaughter

MonsterEnvy posted:

Guessing the poles felt like trash land to them.

well, i believe they didn't go after the northern water tribe for a long time cause they were heavily fortified and practically impregnable.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I mean in the end you can trace almost all of Korra's problems to the fact it was planned to be one season/miniseries (and you can tell because of how cleanly everything got wrapped up with Korra unlocking airbending and getting a boyfriend and Aang saying good job) but then Nick wanted more and so the rest of the series was kind of flying by the seat of its pants.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

I mean in the end you can trace almost all of Korra's problems to the fact it was planned to be one season/miniseries (and you can tell because of how cleanly everything got wrapped up with Korra unlocking airbending and getting a boyfriend and Aang saying good job) but then Nick wanted more and so the rest of the series was kind of flying by the seat of its pants.

So, a little bit of trivia: A:TLA was originally only picked up for 13 episodes, meaning that The Blue Spirit would have been the series finale if it didn't get renewed. The creators went in with a 3-season plan and they stuck to it. With Korra they had to fight tooth and nail to even get Book One (even though it was basically guaranteed to be a success) and they didn't want to disappoint their fanbase by returning only to leave an unfinished story. I get why they did it but I feel like the result kind of speaks for itself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So, a little bit of trivia: A:TLA was originally only picked up for 13 episodes, meaning that The Blue Spirit would have been the series finale if it didn't get renewed. The creators went in with a 3-season plan and they stuck to it. With Korra they had to fight tooth and nail to even get Book One (even though it was basically guaranteed to be a success) and they didn't want to disappoint their fanbase by returning only to leave an unfinished story. I get why they did it but I feel like the result kind of speaks for itself.

Makes a lot of sense that Avatar was, no pun intended, shooting for the moon from the start, and taking less risks has less payoff.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Reminds me of how Steven Universe was originally going to potentially end on Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem before they got an extension order right around the show's premiere, and if it had ended there apparently it would have been 99% the same as the version we did get, just with a couple different lines of dialogue to make it a bit less open

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There was a time when I would have been incredibly excited to see Korra on Netflix. But, over the last five years, I've really soured on it. While I believe that a large part of it is that Bolin and Mako being terrible characters, it's also true that I simply cannot ignore its politics. This video series does a really good job of explaining things, though I disagree with part of their interpretation of Book 4.
TLDR: Korra is peak liberalism.

Wait, one of the bad guys is a white-masked counter-culture guy named "Amon"? Are you loving kidding me?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If SU ended at Ocean Gem, it still would've been a fantastic series and a bright shining light to inspire later creators. It managed the mystery in a way where even though the audience would be left wanting more, it'd still feel good. There's ways that you can make a story relatively flexible about where it starts and stops.

The way Korra was structured was really inelastic, if you tried cutting it shorter, then there's all this emotional and dramatic buildup into dead ends with even less catharsis, and when they extended the series at the last moment, they tried keeping all the same dramatic beats to the narrative, so they just...duplicated them. And since they had the bright idea to do this one big dramatic beat to really push the boundaries by having Korra lose one fight so bad that she's absolutely destroyed, they had to keep doing that each season, which is too much. And of course, the whole thing had a lack of breathing room since all the plot was being crammed into one season. It's a lot like reading superhero comics.

It doesn't feel "fair" that playing corporate politics with the network execs is an important part of planning out and making a show, but that's the way it is.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There was a time when I would have been incredibly excited to see Korra on Netflix. But, over the last five years, I've really soured on it. While I believe that a large part of it is that Bolin and Mako being terrible characters, it's also true that I simply cannot ignore its politics. This video series does a really good job of explaining things, though I disagree with part of their interpretation of Book 4.
TLDR: Korra is peak liberalism.

just finished watching those. good stuff. some really yikes-y stuff the creators came up with, particularly the line when mako says it's okay to be a violent dictator as long as your heart's in the right place. :psyduck:

the politics of korra seem so much worse than TLA's, it's almost impressive

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't want to think about all the behind the scenes stuff that gave way to that stuff.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the speed that amity's character went from "haughty rival" to "comically in love with the protagonist" in owl house is neckbreaking but i can't say i dislike it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

the speed that amity's character went from "haughty rival" to "comically in love with the protagonist" in owl house is neckbreaking but i can't say i dislike it

Reminds me of the rich girl in As Told By Ginger in that regard

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Its a pretty standard cliche at this point

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Avatar was an excellent cartoon that should stay an excellent cartoon. How many good live action remakes of cartoons have there been? Would there be stunt doubles for all of the martial arts? How many child actors are also grandmasters of Chu Gar style Southern Praying Mantis? The special effects budget would be a nightmare

Actually here's the thing, I don't think you can really keep the same tone as the show, with the characters as the same age, in a live action series. Like, Avatar is an adventure series with Serious Themes, but it's an optimistic show with a strong humor base and I think all of the child violence would be a lot more uncomfortable if I were watching it happen to an actual twelve-year-old.

I may be talking entirely out of my rear end but that's my basic opinion. Like congrats to Bryke, they made a really really good cartoon but now maybe they should go make different things.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kidcoelacanth posted:

Don't dislike it, but still not really like it that much since it feels too rushed and like it's shuffling out anything involving their perceived rivalry particularly since their mentors are sisters with contrasting views and styles.

drrockso20 posted:

They wanted Courtney to come out as gay to Ginger. I'll look for that link later.

Xelkelvos posted:

Its a pretty standard cliche at this point

Yeah it kind of is. It's not bad when well executed and given time to grow and expand.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

owl house has weird pacing and is structurally all over the place but i like when the green girl acts a fool around her crush so i shall continue to watch

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

The creator worked on Gravity Falls, right? Maybe she saw Alex Hirsch get burnt out and the Pacifica Northwest/Dipper thing come to nothing, so she's just moving her romance plot in fast forward in case anything happens to her/the show.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

I remember that show. The artystyle was ugly, but it handled growing up and other tough topics in a very mature manner.

One of Ginger's best friends was the absolute worst, though. It was the one with pigtails, who was only concerned about being cool and popular. One episode had her be assigned to the school's PA, which she then used as a gossip column and to out kids who had a dandruff problem. And then it turns out her mom is exactly like her. I was disappointed we never got Ginger to :sever: with her.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

amigolupus posted:

I remember that show. The artystyle was ugly, but it handled growing up and other tough topics in a very mature manner.

One of Ginger's best friends was the absolute worst, though. It was the one with pigtails, who was only concerned about being cool and popular. One episode had her be assigned to the school's PA, which she then used as a gossip column and to out kids who had a dandruff problem. And then it turns out her mom is exactly like her. I was disappointed we never got Ginger to :sever: with her.

Yeah Dodie is probably one of the worst characters in the "best friend" slot of any show I've ever seen, even Bloo is less terrible than her and that's really saying something

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

"Wing it Like Witches" was a pretty lightweight episode since there wasn't much more to it other than the Harry Potter pisstake, but every scene with Amity was gold and so all is well. For all the B plot time they spent with Eda and Lilith, it didn't seem to shed much light on their situation.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Madurai posted:

"Wing it Like Witches" was a pretty lightweight episode since there wasn't much more to it other than the Harry Potter pisstake, but every scene with Amity was gold and so all is well. For all the B plot time they spent with Eda and Lilith, it didn't seem to shed much light on their situation.

It certainly seems like Eda's curse plot and exploration of her place in wider Boiling Isles society has been put on the backburner with all the attention being on Luz settling in at Hexside and her relationship with Amity. And that's after the early episodes took what felt like a really long time to get into Luz's magic education while focusing more on Eda's beef with covens and her curse. It feels like they maybe could have spaced those plot threads out more evenly. Regardless, I'm enjoying it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

YggiDee posted:

I think Avatar was an excellent cartoon that should stay an excellent cartoon. How many good live action remakes of cartoons have there been? Would there be stunt doubles for all of the martial arts? How many child actors are also grandmasters of Chu Gar style Southern Praying Mantis? The special effects budget would be a nightmare

Actually here's the thing, I don't think you can really keep the same tone as the show, with the characters as the same age, in a live action series. Like, Avatar is an adventure series with Serious Themes, but it's an optimistic show with a strong humor base and I think all of the child violence would be a lot more uncomfortable if I were watching it happen to an actual twelve-year-old.

I may be talking entirely out of my rear end but that's my basic opinion. Like congrats to Bryke, they made a really really good cartoon but now maybe they should go make different things.

Well apparently they think so too :v:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

kidcoelacanth posted:

owl house has weird pacing and is structurally all over the place but i like when the green girl acts a fool around her crush so i shall continue to watch

Yeah, it's really adorable. Fills a big gay hole in my heart left by She-Ra.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

amigolupus posted:

I think I remember that episode and she was outing kids who had head lice.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think I remember that episode and she was outing kids who had head lice.

Was gonna mention that along with the fact that she gasps and remarks that she'll go down in school history for outing that the popular it girl has lice. I found it really nice that Courtney personally thanked and hugged Ginger for bailing her on that. And yeah, Dodie was absolutely loving vile.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still the scariest part that shallow wannabe social climbers screwing over their vulnerable peers for the slightest amusement and/or perceived increase in social standing has always been the most realistic part of high school shows.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Courtney was a way better friend to Ginger than Dodie, that I'm surprised the series didn't have Ginger stop being friends with Dodie once they got to high school. Especially after that episode where Ginger found out that her boyfriend was cheating on her with a cheerleader, and that Dodie knew all of this and kept it a secret from Ginger despite being her supposed best friend.

doomrider7 posted:

Was gonna mention that along with the fact that she gasps and remarks that she'll go down in school history for outing that the popular it girl has lice. I found it really nice that Courtney personally thanked and hugged Ginger for bailing her on that. And yeah, Dodie was absolutely loving vile.

Pretty sure Dodie got mad at Ginger for stopping her, too. It was really weird that the episode ended with the two apologizing to each other for what they did when Dodie was the one in the wrong.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How the hell edited this recap for Infinity Train Seasons 1 and 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADCagZ7o7s0

It's genuinely terrifying and implies completely the wrong thing about the earlier seasons.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Seems like they were shooting for a trailer that doesn't reveal any of the major reveals of season 1 and 2, which requires not showing anything beyond episode 8 of either, and that leads to a pretty grim-dark interpretation of it.

Xelkelvos posted:

Simon's never shown the ability to be outwardly duplicitous and it made sense for him to not hide it at all.

These five episodes have definitely given the audience some interesting nuggets on the backgrounds of our two Apex heads. Grace obviously came onto the train to deal with her parents' perfectionism in dance and how it isolated her. Her bonding with Hazel running her number down was indicative of her beginning to fully accept and bond with others. It's not clear why Simon came on the train yet, but obviously his abandonment by the Cat (which she obviously regrets) pushed him into his full blown hatred of the Train Denizens. He may have already had preexisting abandonment issues which were exacerbated by it but that's not been shown.

I feel like we'll definitely see Grace change her tune this season (and maybe go home?), but it's very open-ended about Simon. Obviously he's very attached to her, and he's really attached to the Apex structure they've set up, but I couldn't tell you which he would pick if he was forced to choose, which it seems like he will in a few episodes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Are we really sure Amity in the Owl House is into Luz? The attraction is really subtle. Either way, it goes completely over Luz's head.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cant cook creole bream posted:

Are we really sure Amity in the Owl House is into Luz? The attraction is really subtle. Either way, it goes completely over Luz's head.

It has not been subtle at all in the last couple episodes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Woosh

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

cant cook creole bream posted:

She seems to just be a very good friend.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I'm sorry I thought they might have been like five episodes behind or something!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobulus posted:

I feel like we'll definitely see Grace change her tune this season (and maybe go home?), but it's very open-ended about Simon. Obviously he's very attached to her, and he's really attached to the Apex structure they've set up, but I couldn't tell you which he would pick if he was forced to choose, which it seems like he will in a few episodes.

Simon's abandonment issues will be put to the brink if Grace "abandons" him and the Apex and that's probably the most dramatic outcome. Since he'll lash out the most in that way.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Senerio posted:

She seems to just be a very good friend.

I thought they were cousins

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Have you considered that they're just really close cousins?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i feel like i should watch amphibia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

i feel like i should watch amphibia

Its really cool, i like it and owl house a lot as action adventure fantasy.

Those and ducktales and craig of the creek are my picks for best cartoon shows right now.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 16, 2020