Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Seriously, do you have to pay extra to drive that roller-skate that looks like it came off an asset store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

90 actual devs out 600 employees, lol

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

quote:

Dramatic FPS drop since 3.4, is SSOCS really working ?
As you can see on the telemetry page :

On 3.4 there was 53% of the user that had 50 FPS or more.

On 3.5 they were 42%

On 3.6 they drop to 24%

There was a small recovery in 3.7 and 3.8 to reach respectively 28% and 33%

On 3.9 it fell to 11%

Currently on 3.10 we are at 6%

This FPS degradation goes hand in hand with servers degradation, I don't know at how many FPS servers are currently running but they must be around 3 to 6 FPS...

Yet according to what was explained in a video from Digital Foundry, the introduction of SSOCS was to increase severs tickrate up to 30 !

Either digital foundry has misunderstood, or SSOCS is still not working as it was supposed to.

Desync and delays between the client and servers has never been so high and seems to increase patch after patch.

This is currently the cause of the immense majority of suffering that players endure, whether it is desync during ship dogfight, enemies who teleport or do not take their bullets during FPS combat, changes made in the mobiglass that take 3 minutes to complete, missions that take several minutes to update, time to buy something in a shop or bartender delay, all this is linked to low server frame rate and service overload.

Will we have to wait for the meshing server for this to be resolved ? or even later ? Is there a solution ?

Just look at these lunatics, which in year +9 still don't understand that client framerate is decoupled from server performance. Server meshing, assuming they get it working one day (hint: they won't), is not gonna affect client performance. Seriously, why don't these guys understand game development ?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This guy is a stupid dick because all of that video he’s using makes the game seem a lot better than it actually is.

All part of the scam.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
Ah, there is a voice of reason in this entire mess of "they said SSOCS would fix framerate - no they did not" thread:

quote:

I have literally STOPPED playing due to stutter and low frames.
If CIG claims that their telemetry still shows good FPS for those who are playing - then I'd say they're only getting telemetry from those who are still playing and not those who are unable to play due to low frame rates = skewed telemetry results.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

MedicineHut posted:

90 actual devs... well that explains a lot.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
One would think that if you were trying to built a game based on a revolutionary technological leap in architecture that no one has ever made before, you would have something more like 400 people working on the engine and features and maybe a few artists to get assets that demonstrate it, instead of the other way around.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Is that really the roadmap? 500 employees and they've got like 5-10 things per quarter. The options that I see.

1. The roadmap is completely inaccurate in which case you might as well not even update it
2. Management and direction is so incompetent that this actually representative of how much work they can do in 3 months
3. 90% of their resources are directed towards the currently invisible work on Squadron 42 and they've just left enough people on SC to complete a token amount of progress.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I liked how in their latest video they pretty much said all the original mocap is too old and unusable so they’ve been refilming it all.

Yeah I got a good chuckle out of that too. First that they’re still doing mocap shoots going into year 9 of development (That 2020 SQ42 beta is release is looking good lol). Secondly, their new lead mocaping guy laughing nervously and all but admitting that all of their old mocaping data from those Imaginarium shoots Chris spent untold millions on is basically useless. It pretty much confirms what The Agent and Bootcha have been saying.

It’s also funny how antiquated it’s all looking at this point, not just the graphics in that one boring scene they show, but just the idea of laboriously mocaping every character animation in the game, during a time when the industry is moving onto much better and more efficient techniques.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I Greyhound posted:

One would think that if you were trying to built a game based on a revolutionary technological leap in architecture that no one has ever made before, you would have something more like 400 people working on the engine and features and maybe a few artists to get assets that demonstrate it, instead of the other way around.

Yeah anytime one of us has ran the numbers from LinkedIn, they do have around the total number of employees they claim, but their ratio of programmers to artists is extremely low compared to major studios that are supposedly just churning out lazy sequels. But I’m sure all of those 22 year old artists straight out of Full Sail will someday produce NPC AI more advanced than what even the major tech giants can achieve right now.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Nyast posted:

Just look at these lunatics, which in year +9 still don't understand that client framerate is decoupled from server performance. Server meshing, assuming they get it working one day (hint: they won't), is not gonna affect client performance. Seriously, why don't these guys understand game development ?

lol, 6% of the player base hitting 50fps. no poo poo your multiplayer game isn't behaving itself. most clients must be routinely getting bogged down with single digit fpa.

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme

For "improved throw", are they indicating that there are 61 unique tasks associated with that single item? What the gently caress could possibly be rolled up into that? Arm fatigue mechanics, tendon strain meters, reduced accuracy due to low argon levels, two handed throwing? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bill Decker
Jan 5, 2020
They've got a team of physicists working on the kinetics of deskeletonized arms.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
90 Developers and 100 open developer positions that need to be filled.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffyhawk posted:

For "improved throw", are they indicating that there are 61 unique tasks associated with that single item? What the gently caress could possibly be rolled up into that? Arm fatigue mechanics, tendon strain meters, reduced accuracy due to low argon levels, two handed throwing? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Argon development.

Try to keep up with the future of PC gaming.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Nicholas posted:

90 Developers and 100 open developer positions that need to be filled.

So their targeted staff base is current 600 + those 100 = 700? lol this is the game that keeps on giving.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

Is that really the roadmap? 500 employees and they've got like 5-10 things per quarter. The options that I see.

1. The roadmap is completely inaccurate in which case you might as well not even update it
2. Management and direction is so incompetent that this actually representative of how much work they can do in 3 months
3. 90% of their resources are directed towards the currently invisible work on Squadron 42 and they've just left enough people on SC to complete a token amount of progress.

There is a whole game mode (Theatres of War) beeing developed that no one asked for that never appeared on the roadmap. It was developed in secrecy for eight months, should have been released early this year, is STILL not on the roadmap, and no one knows whats up with it because no one asked for it.

The roadmap is just smoke and mirrors.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The funny thing is Planetside or Dust 514 done right is one of the few games I would pay $whale money for, but they didn't even bother trying to grift that playerbase with any effort, they just shat out the mode as a disappointment to their Second Life base. Even die hards don't care about it.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

What happened to Eddie Parr in the end?

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Dr. Honked posted:

Programming wasn't up to par.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Scruffyhawk posted:

I'm guessing they are counting literally every single thing that can possibly be related to it (animation, character's hand model/texture, grunting when said throwing happens, targeting reticle or however they implement the player action, physics collisions, input, etc.) because backers like to see number go up.

Meanwhile, the Origin ships are only 35 items each. Much less complexity involved, so it makes sense.

A shotgun has 7 items, while a grenade launcher has 30. Because... I don't know.

Maybe CIG just generates random numbers for everything on those roadmaps and they are actually loving meaningless.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dr. Honked posted:

Look at this guy. Are you telling us you didn't read the lore?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MedicineHut posted:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I liked how in their latest video they pretty much said all the original mocap is too old and unusable so they’ve been refilming it all.

This was one of those sekret discord leaks from 2016 that seemed kind of hard to believe at the time — that the capture process itself was terribly managed and the data made agonizingly difficult to work with as a result. Chris has known it was hosed for 5 years.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fidelitious posted:

Por que no los tres?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

ErrEff posted:

I'm guessing they are counting literally every single thing that can possibly be related to it (animation, character's hand model/texture, grunting when said throwing happens, targeting reticle or however they implement the player action, physics collisions, input, etc.) because backers like to see number go up.

Meanwhile, the Origin ships are only 35 items each. Much less complexity involved, so it makes sense.

A shotgun has 7 items, while a grenade launcher has 30. Because... I don't know.

Maybe CIG just generates random numbers for everything on those roadmaps and they are actually loving meaningless.
Meanwhile "server to client actor networking rework" has 3 items, because they don't know what to do with it.
I think item 2 is ????? and item 3 is PROFIT!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nyast posted:

No, in SC there is a clear relationship between client performance and server performance. People have hacked the game to be offline and when it is it runs perfectly fine.

This is in fact worse than if the client was actually fully decoupled with the servers performance because the spaghettis code being tangled between each other makes it significantly more difficult to actually unfuck

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

G0RF posted:

This was one of those sekret discord leaks from 2016 that seemed kind of hard to believe at the time — that the capture process itself was terribly managed and the data made agonizingly difficult to work with as a result. Chris has known it was hosed for 5 years.

Reminds me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXpJmxleflw

He couldn't make E3 that year, because he had to supervise the mocap in England.

And here is David Braben launching ED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22DAO4dl74w

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

I'm 99% sure that when CR promised private servers and modding tools, he had Freelancer in mind and it's still got servers online thanks to the private server binaries and the modding community that's still supporting the game. Star Citizen is Chris's last huge project - he probably won't have the energy for a Star Citizen 2 project taking up the next 15 years of his life once he's done with shepherding SC out; he's probably going to retire after he finally takes his hands off CIG. He's making Star Citizen not just to make the game, but to cement his legacy. Private servers are what will keep that legacy alive after the company eventually pulls the plug or totally shuts down.

It's impossible to know exactly what CIG plans to do because they won't be working on the private server and modding tools until the game's actually out of beta, but it's a crowdfunding promise that they have to fulfill.

quote:

Maybe something for some FPS Battle, or session like this, but i don't think they will give us the full universe for play "private".

This was never the plan in the first place. Even back in the day the talk was that a private server would be one star system, and that'd be the sandbox to play in. It would not and could not replicate even the OLD plans for what SC the MMO was going to be - a bunch of different servers for the star systems.

I think the closest they will get to a "private" PU is if they end up allowing people to directly rent an AWS instance with a specialized private server version of the normal game server, disconnected and isolated from the main PU but running almost exactly like one of its systems. And they haven't said anything about doing this so it's only speculation.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

G0RF posted:

No, Chris is an awesome business man. They sold the original mocap data to the AAA (American Architectural Association) for 10s of millions of profit.

The AAA are using it to study the performance of wood in a supporting role. :sandance:

Chris is going to use those millions to reshoot the mocap in higher fidelity to better capture the nuance of Sandi Gardiner's performance of "Pusher", a role so good in a masterful script that will redefine entertainment that Chris and Sandi will both receive multiple Academy Awards. (Sandi will end up with more because her divorce lawyer is spanking Chris rear end on a daily basis)

She plans on giving Chris's Oscar to Rexzilla so he can put it on a stack of Red bull in the background of his stream.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 16, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Reminds me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXpJmxleflw

He couldn't make E3 that year, because he had to supervise the mocap in England.

And here is David Braben launching ED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22DAO4dl74w

I can’t believe those hacks at Frontier still don’t have bartenders, the cornerstone of any space game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

16GB is the minimum RAM now, clear out as much as possible to make room for SC - especially browsers, Chrome gobbles memory so much it should be criminal.

You will also want to make sure your virtual memory settings are set up correctly. If you have the room, I'd suggest setting a minimum of 16 or 24GB and setting the max to either the same or a bit higher (32 is probably overkill). The reason for setting it explicitly instead of leaving it to system-managed is that system-managed allocates on the fly and that's slower than having preallocated swap space on disk and even on SSD. This isn't typically an issue when Chrome wants more memory or a particularly large file in some art/CAD/office program does some crunching that takes a little longer, but it's a BIG problem with a game that does very aggressive asset streaming all the time -- something few games do.

Most games put all their long loading times at the start of a level/area and then run entirely in memory. SC doesn't, it constantly swaps objects and textures in and out and changes between level of detail versions of things in order to maximize the system resources for what's needed on-screen. This is why rooms may not immediately load in front of you and you fall into the void if you try stepping through - it's loading and something bottlenecked or, during alpha, might have failed entirely for some baffling reason.

Edit:

quote:

fixing a fall trough the floor bug ain't no big loving deal, and if you think it is, you're just delusional and lying to yourself.

Did you ever consider that "it's because the world hasn't loaded because your Windows swap file is being slow" was a cause for this "bug"? I bet not.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

G0RF posted:

You're saying that like it's a bad thing- it means Croberts can play movie director again. The job he really wants...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/f2rOh1E.gifv

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I will give Croberts this, Lord of War is one of my favorite movies.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Mirificus posted:

Did you ever consider that "it's because the world hasn't loaded because your Windows swap file is being slow" was a cause for this "bug"? I bet not.
[/quote]

“of course it runs like dog poo poo it was specifically designed to. you plebs clearly don’t understand game development :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lammasu posted:

I will give Croberts this, Lord of War is one of my favorite movies.

He certainly was critical to getting that movie made.

IMDB posted:

Produced by

Artemio Benki ... line producer: Czech Republic
Greig Buckle ... line producer: South Africa
Nicolas Cage ... producer
Bradley Cramp ... executive producer
Christopher Eberts ... executive producer
Fabrice Gianfermi ... executive producer
Darren Goldberg ... line producer: New York
Norman Golightly ... producer
Andreas Grosch ... producer (as Andy Grosch)
Gary Hamilton ... executive producer
Douglas Hansen ... co-producer (as Douglas E. Hansen)
Michael Mendelsohn ... executive producer
Andrew Niccol ... producer
Chris Roberts ... producer
Teri-Lin Robertson ... producer: Reeleyes Film Co., South Africa
Philippe Rousselet ... producer
Andreas Schmid ... executive producer
James D. Stern ... executive producer
Ronaldo Vasconcellos ... executive line producer
Jim Vidal ... associate producer: International (as James E. Vidal)
So absolutely critical he couldn't even splurge on an executive producer credit.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Lammasu posted:

I dated a girl that had bunnies and one thing I learned from her is that bunnies hump each other to establish dominance. What the gently caress is the point of being the dominant bunny? It's like being the dominant sandwich.

It pays off at furry conventions.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

[/quote]

quote:

Most games put all their long loading times at the start of a level/area and then run entirely in memory. SC doesn't, it constantly swaps objects and textures in and out and changes between level of detail versions of things in order to maximize the system resources for what's needed on-screen. This is why rooms may not immediately load in front of you and you fall into the void if you try stepping through - it's loading and something bottlenecked or, during alpha, might have failed entirely for some baffling reason.

Haha, this is such a bunch of bullshit. As if they would be dumb enough to stream the geometry o... wait a minute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BRB fixing my windows virtual memory settings.

A completely normal thing to do in the year 2020.