Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
In Germany the US ambassador admitted to be supporting far right groups, it could be the same in Portugal, it is worth mentioning that the rich people today are the exact same in estado novo, and they like to stir poo poo up now and then to scare the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthropic Void
Oct 9, 2012

I admit that being out of the country for last 11 years might make my perception out of date.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i wonder if the sharps are still active, they used to get into fights with the hammerskins like 20 years ago

Celexi posted:

In Germany the US ambassador admitted to be supporting far right groups, it could be the same in Portugal, it is worth mentioning that the rich people today are the exact same in estado novo, and they like to stir poo poo up now and then to scare the left.

I mean, chega is financed by those same fuckers

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Celexi posted:

Rich people will always support fascism, because rich people only care about two things in life: getting richer, and screwing over the rest of the world. Supporting fascism is the best way to achieve goal #2, even if it doesn't always help with goal #1.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Honest Thief posted:

i wonder if the sharps are still active, they used to get into fights with the hammerskins like 20 years ago

I mean, chega is financed by those same fuckers

They are, they just dont go to jukebox anymore.
This caught everyone by surprise though.

And yeah , the infusion of money is a thing.IL are being bankrolled internally by old money but chega is getting money from that creepy movement of euro fascists and us evangelicals.and cops.so many cops.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

They are, they just dont go to jukebox anymore.
This caught everyone by surprise though.
used to hang in transmission a lot in my heavy drinking days until someone pointed out the clientele :yikes:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Rich people will always support fascism, because rich people only care about two things in life: getting richer, and screwing over the rest of the world. Supporting fascism is the best way to achieve goal #2, even if it doesn't always help with goal #1.

No, that doesn't really make any historical or sociological sense. Not everyone that you think is bad is bad in all the exact same ways. It is true that the rich will generally prefer fascism over any sort of strongly economically left-wing ideology, but in the context of global neoliberal hegemony and the collapse of the far left, that's not a choice that's relevant right now. The choice nearly everywhere is between liberalism and fascism (both broadly defined), and in that scenario they will always choose for the status quo since it is least disruptive to their class interests. Trump's support base isn't the establishment, it's exactly the other way around; many of the uneducated and poor voted for him because he promised to disrupt the existing order.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reCMB81A70k

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I'm Italian. Another boat full of immigrants is coming to our shores; this time it's in Corigliano, close to where I am right now.
Is there anything I can do to help them? I have been extremely sad and frustrated with my powerlessness towards the rampant racism going on in my country and I want to do something to fix it, anything.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm Italian. Another boat full of immigrants is coming to our shores; this time it's in Corigliano, close to where I am right now.
Is there anything I can do to help them? I have been extremely sad and frustrated with my powerlessness towards the rampant racism going on in my country and I want to do something to fix it, anything.

Yeah the problem with rampant racism is it usually involves rampant violence aswell. Don't try to help the migrants and have the police arrest you for some extreme crime you didn't actually commit.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm not sure you can do much about those still at sea without incurring some serious risks that other institutions, or volunteers, are best suited to take. But there's very likely local organizations that work to help migrants, distributing housing, meals, teaching italian etc. You could look into volunteering for one of those.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I wish I could find some of those organizations. I haven't found any online, and I am terrible at being connected to the neighborhood and other Italian people.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I wish I could find some of those organizations. I haven't found any online, and I am terrible at being connected to the neighborhood and other Italian people.

You're not the only one. Isolation and disconnectedness from the neighboring community is the disease of our century. Still, it couldn't hurt to ask around. Ask around the volunteer orgs you have found, see if they can point you the right way. It's all about hitting up the right network. Guy who knows a guy who knows a guy etc. Also you might want to look into your local centro sociale. Lefty student movements are usually at the forefront in this sort of stuff.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

"Wow I'm glad I live in the EU where there is peace and the state doesn't violently oppress people"

https://twitter.com/News24/status/1294597222064168963

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

for all the poo poo we give the yanks on their immigration stuff, we are objectively so much worse. our camps are worse, our giant moat that we hope will kill them off is worse, and we actively criminalise people trying to save lives by hitting them with people smuggling charges

it's loving disgusting

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

"Wow I'm glad I live in the EU where there is peace and the state doesn't violently oppress people"

jesus loving christ

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

V. Illych L. posted:

for all the poo poo we give the yanks on their immigration stuff, we are objectively so much worse. our camps are worse, our giant moat that we hope will kill them off is worse, and we actively criminalise people trying to save lives by hitting them with people smuggling charges

it's loving disgusting

It's loving disgusting is right. Can't wait till they send a boat to collect the bodies and return them to their native countries. Because that would top the cake in terms of this loving massacre.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've been wondering what mechanics cause a ruling clique to face massive protests, but still manage to stay in power. When does it shift from "we can wait this one out inside our golden palace" to "run for the hills" to "poo poo they've taken the walls". In the same vein, why do crowds that number in the tens of thousands not succeed or even try to, well storm the Bastille/palace, so to speak? Is it a case of not being angry enough? is it because modern riot control and military gear is too efficient at disrupting and harming large crowds of people?

What are the moving components here?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I can't speak for the first thing, but even if you're in a very bad situation as an abused citizen, dying to police brutality is still a worse outcome for most.

And not everyone believes violent revolt is the answer, no matter how dire things are looking.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Generally, as long as both the army and the police support you, you're good. See also Venezuela, I thought Maduro would have been long gone by now.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Phlegmish posted:

Generally, as long as both the army and the police support you, you're good. See also Venezuela, I thought Maduro would have been long gone by now.

This. If the police and military does not stand down or in part defect there will be neither regime change nor revolution.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

paradoxGentleman posted:

I asked a friend in Rome who works with refugees and family reunification, she said Caritas is usually easiest to volunteer for if you're in a smaller village, otherwise it's not easy to find a way to help out directly. If you're comfortably employed and can't find anything, a regular donation might be your best bet

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Lord Stimperor posted:

This was basically the end game since at least 2015, im just surprised it didnt happened before( it definitly happened before, see the story in march about the coast guard trying to capsize a boat).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Well what are the poor darling politicians supposed to do?

They have a duty to process everyone who come in, and even being stringent about it a significant portion of them will be considered refugees, and all the while their twatty constituents clamor for reduced immigration. What is a put-upon politician with a comfy public job on the line to do?

There's always the option to build a massive militarised border zone with jeep patrols and the like (e.g. see the US), but how do you do that on the sea? Even turning people around (and leaving them to drown) gets you condemned. That's a tough one.

Maybe they should try to create a refugee cap like the US, in flagrant violation of international law. Just send back everyone over 60k a year (per region) or whatever, let the number gods sort them out.

e: I'm being sarcastic obvs.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 17, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lukashenko is really getting a lot of heat right now. Who knows, though. I also never thought Assad would manage to hold on to power when the Syrian protests first started.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

Lukashenko is really getting a lot of heat right now. Who knows, though. I also never thought Assad would manage to hold on to power when the Syrian protests first started.
Orthodox State of Belarus and the Pale.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This was posted on r/italy the other day:

Nice to see that I've still got some time to bring down the national average, I guess.

Can't help but notice that nations that are more economically stable have tendentially lower averages, especially the Scandinavian ones that provide a lot of support for young people.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

This was posted on r/italy the other day:

Nice to see that I've still got some time to bring down the national average, I guess.

Can't help but notice that nations that are more economically stable have tendentially lower averages, especially the Scandinavian ones that provide a lot of support for young people.

17.8 in Sweden seems insanely low

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Well yeah, the whole point is you don't have to pay rent. In the Czech Republic at least average studio rent in large cities (outside Prague) is about £483 (14k CZK) per month bills included, and median after-tax income is £882 (25k CZK). Given that it's not hard to see why young people are forced to live with their parents.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Italy for as long as I can remember has been known for having embarassingly low salaries, both avg and median. And the generation that came in the deregulated job market since the 90s has even lower earning prospects. I mean, 1.2k/month is a good salary. Most young people coming in the market expect to start at 800, when its not an internship. And real estate speculation has been squeezing out people just as much as in other European big cities.

So yeah not surprised.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Well yeah, the whole point is you don't have to pay rent. In the Czech Republic at least average studio rent in large cities (outside Prague) is about £483 (14k CZK) per month bills included, and median after-tax income is £882 (25k CZK). Given that it's not hard to see why young people are forced to live with their parents.

Here in Italy prices vary wildly from city to city, but generally in, say, Rome, monthly rents range from 900 to 1000 euros per month (and I'm talking princely rooms here, including utilities) to 500 euros (and these generally have barely usable kitchens and generally do not include utilities).

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Here in Italy prices vary wildly from city to city, but generally in, say, Rome, monthly rents range from 900 to 1000 euros per month (and I'm talking princely rooms here, including utilities) to 500 euros (and these generally have barely usable kitchens and generally do not include utilities).

Yeah I have personal experience of the hell that is Roman real estate. 500/month is w/roommates. And the vice is tightening dor uni students too. Going rate for 1 bed is like 900/1k in most areas.
Going to the suburbs is often the only option, if you are a family. And all in all it's still marginally better than Milan.

Funny story, the mechanic I usually go to lives a whole city over, in Viterbo. He commutes like 1h each way. For a ludicrously low price he gets a whole country house to himself. Big city real estate markets have gone loving nuts

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

€900-1,000 is actually not too bad for a 'princely' apartment in a major city. But yeah, if salaries are really that low even in Rome, it's still going to be unaffordable.

I was 27 when I moved out here in Flanders, but (besides being a passive goon) I deliberately waited a while so I could accumulate enough money to skip the renting phase and buy a (tiny) house with some help from my parents. My monthly mortgage is at a very affordable €550.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Andrast posted:

17.8 in Sweden seems insanely low

Yeah, it looks suspiciously young and doesn't agree with what I've seen. Also according to SCB 92% of 18yo still lived at home and the avarage age of moving out was 21 in 2016. I guess things can change but I still find It strange.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

€900-1,000 is actually not too bad for a 'princely' apartment in a major city. But yeah, if salaries are really that low even in Rome, it's still going to be unaffordable.

I was 27 when I moved out here in Flanders, but (besides being a passive goon) I deliberately waited a while so I could accumulate enough money to skip the renting phase and buy a (tiny) house with some help from my parents. My monthly mortgage is at a very affordable €550.

Yeah, keeping in mind - median salary in Italy is 1.5k, that's the perspective.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fader Movitz posted:

Yeah, it looks suspiciously young and doesn't agree with what I've seen. Also according to SCB 92% of 18yo still lived at home and the avarage age of moving out was 21 in 2016. I guess things can change but I still find It strange.

I assume it's because most of them move out to pursue tertiary education at that age, and then simply never come back full-time.

If that's it I don't know if I would consider it 'moving out', really. I also lived near campus when I attended college, but I still went back to my parents every weekend, and was dependent on them for a ton of things.

mortons stork posted:

Yeah, keeping in mind - median salary in Italy is 1.5k, that's the perspective.

Gross or net? I remember when I started out, my gross salary was something like €2,000-2,200 (can't remember exactly), but after brutal Belgian social security contributions + income tax, I was left with around 1.6k.

Honestly, I'm such a miser and my hobbies are so inexpensive (especially back then), that I probably would have been able to afford a decent Rome apartment on that. Saving significant amounts of money would have been impossible, though.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 22, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holland seems quite high to be honest, almost everyone I knew moved out of the parental house after high school, most to pursue education of some kind. but, this was around 2000, so maybe that has changed.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Phlegmish posted:

I assume it's because most of them move out to pursue tertiary education at that age, and then simply never come back full-time.

If that's it I don't know if I would consider it 'moving out', really. I also lived near campus when I attended college, but I still went back to my parents every weekend, and was dependent on them for a ton of things.

You finish gymnasiet, the secondary education, the year you turn 19 so I'd be surprised if a substantial number of people moved before that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not saying "apartment", I'm saying "room plus use of kitchen and bathroom". Most places at that price bracket have two bathrooms, but I'm pretty sure you're still sharing with at least one other person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

oliwan posted:

Holland seems quite high to be honest, almost everyone I knew moved out of the parental house after high school, most to pursue education of some kind. but, this was around 2000, so maybe that has changed.

Between 2000 and now were two real estate booms, increases in student numbers, and the slashing of financial assistance. In the 2010s there were plenty of commuting students.