Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Fister Roboto posted:

What happens if you try to read the letter when Kim isn't around?
He appears and saves you anyway. He's got your back, always. But do you have his, Harry? Can you make him trust you when it counts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Fister Roboto posted:

What happens if you try to read the letter when Kim isn't around?

Even if you read it in your room completely alone at 2am while Kim is taking the body back, he still somehow knows. Which is slightly creepy. Oh, someone reported an officer down, huh Kim? You’re definitely not sneaking into my room to check on me at night? Hmmmm

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Even if you read it in your room completely alone at 2am while Kim is taking the body back, he still somehow knows. Which is slightly creepy. Oh, someone reported an officer down, huh Kim? You’re definitely not sneaking into my room to check on me at night? Hmmmm

As someone said, Kim's Espirit de Corps score is just 'Yes'.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

There are some spots where Kim will chime in even if he's not there.

I got it when I tried to read his notes in his room when he was away.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As someone said, Kim's Espirit de Corps score is just 'Yes'.

I have vague memories of one of the skills saying that he also has huge Authority. Guess he went for a Psyche-heavy build?

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Finished this a couple of days ago after a six month mourning period: when I woke up after the tribunal, Kim was dead and Cuno was my new partner. I was a very sorry cop, and couldn't continue.

Loaded the save before the teleportation and did more stuff like opining the freezer finishing the nightclub. Still had a bit of a disaster with the tribunal but I dodged a bullet and saved Kim. We checked the window in the apartment and went to the island.

Is it possible to pass the window check and visit the island before the tribunal?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

No, it’s not.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

domhal posted:

Finished this a couple of days ago after a six month mourning period: when I woke up after the tribunal, Kim was dead and Cuno was my new partner. I was a very sorry cop, and couldn't continue.

Kim doesn't die, he's just too injured to continue the investigation with you

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
So it's impossible to have the right suspect at the tribunal. What does a "good" tribunal outcome look like? (I think I got 5 killed.)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

domhal posted:

So it's impossible to have the right suspect at the tribunal. What does a "good" tribunal outcome look like? (I think I got 5 killed.)

I think no matter what a couple people die or one dies and another runs away, something like that.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Yeah I just finished the game last week and thought I hosed that up pretty bad, but I guess that's pretty standard

Edit: I hosed that up pretty bad, but I guess that's pretty standard: the Disco Elysium experience

zenguitarman fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 16, 2020

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

one of the beauties of disco elysium is that there is no way to make the tribunal go "perfectly," or even "well"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

But you can manage the degree of failure. Just like in real life!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

domhal posted:

Xander77 posted:

I'm a bit late here, but the Tribunal outcomes are:

1. Shanky. Runs or stays and dies depending on whether you talk about the Wild Pines representative. Unintuitive, and the game has a really hard time keeping track of whether he lived or died.

2. Elizabeth. Lives if you pass the Logic check after telling the scab leader the Hardies didn't do it or never even attempt the dialog option.

3. Titus. Lives if you succeed at burning / shooting the head merc, dies if you fail or just stand there.

4. Kim. Wounded if you fail or never attempt the final authority check.

5. The mercs. It's very complicated.

6 Alain and Eugene. Always live.

7. Theo, Glen and Angus. Always die.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have vague memories of one of the skills saying that he also has huge Authority. Guess he went for a Psyche-heavy build?

Yeah, if you try to get him to tell a secret about himself, and press him on it, he raises an eyebrow at you and your body just completely locks up. Your volition tells you that his authority is off the charts. It's one of the few "always fail" checks in the game.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I was watching one of the let's plays posted above and realizes the game probably gives you two savoir-faire reducing items in your starting clothes, just to make it more likely you fail the 'slip away unnoticed' check at the start if attempted.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Peanut Butler posted:

ZA/UM does not seem like a studio likely to shy away from political peril

Just want to fact check this post from a bit back, the creator said specifically that slavery never existed in Elysium, lmao

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Just want to fact check this post from a bit back, the creator said specifically that slavery never existed in Elysium, lmao

Seems like they skipped straight to neocolonialism

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Holy poo poo that's what that 300 bottle is for!?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

do you have a link to this interview or whatever? sounds bizarre. my initial reaction is wondering if such a claim is more about, like, the nature/structure of the transatlantic slave trade, as opposed to the entire concept of "owning people"

Philman posted:

Holy poo poo that's what that 300 bottle is for!?

looks like you need to wear your horrific necktie more often, *bratan*

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

World War Mammories posted:

looks like you need to wear your horrific necktie more often all the time, *bratan*

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Interestingly no-one seems to comment if you don't wear pants and shoes, but if you don't wear (or haven't picked up) your jacket, Kim's line when you ask how he knows you are a cop changes a little.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Tylana posted:

Interestingly no-one seems to comment if you don't wear pants and shoes, but if you don't wear (or haven't picked up) your jacket, Kim's line when you ask how he knows you are a cop changes a little.

if you go there wearing no pants and kim asks about your badge you get "check your undies" instead of "check your pockets"

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

however it makes a sense given the different material conditions imagined by for example having a single world religion from the dawn of time that acted as a supranational entity in terms of law and social organization - which would make serfdom far more likely than slavery, imo - and transisolary travel being way more loving complicated than transoceanic, which meant that Insulinde, being the only isola without people had to be permanently settled, something that you could not do slaves

besides, I think it is an unfair take re: "political peril" because of stuff like the detailed commentary on the matter of imperialist oppression and colonialism, which goes up to and including a thoroughly descriptive atrocity involving mutilation, rape and cannibalism by first world mercenaries against villagers

(there are like five skills which pop up at the time to give content warning)

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Played a little bit of a new game with high psy/phys (opposite of what I had the first go round), and boy, uh, he sure is obsessed with muscly men now

Philman posted:

if you go there wearing no pants and kim asks about your badge you get "check your undies" instead of "check your pockets"

And then the game basically sighs and tells you that if even Kim isn’t going to comment on you being naked, nobody’s going to, so please just put your clothes on

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I finished my very first playthrough as an impossibly contradictory person and a successful(?) detective who could leave no stone unturned at least 3 times over. Wow. What a ride. Enjoyable enough that I might do a second playthrough instead of just reading a the alternate options/lore online.

Does hardcore mode have any value other than as a high score challenge mode thing for min-maxer build-n-execute sort of people? Replacing the main menu music with the proto-hardcore beat got a good chuckle out of me.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

however it makes a sense given the different material conditions imagined by for example having a single world religion from the dawn of time that acted as a supranational entity in terms of law and social organization - which would make serfdom far more likely than slavery, imo - and transisolary travel being way more loving complicated than transoceanic, which meant that Insulinde, being the only isola without people had to be permanently settled, something that you could not do slaves

besides, I think it is an unfair take re: "political peril" because of stuff like the detailed commentary on the matter of imperialist oppression and colonialism, which goes up to and including a thoroughly descriptive atrocity involving mutilation, rape and cannibalism by first world mercenaries against villagers

(there are like five skills which pop up at the time to give content warning)

interesting idea about the innocentic system being a single world religion in the present day - but I have to assume that wasn't the case during the dawn of dolores dei.

spoiled out of an excess of caution:

I think joyce says flat out that every isola except Insulinde was inhabited before anyone from Mundi knew about them, so presumably they had native religions.

and now that I'm thinking about it, I also recall that joyce specifies that at least one isola discovered Mundi rather than the other way around:
"The nations of Mundi proceeded to discover five more isolae -- or they discovered us -- all in the rush of the great inter-isolary reconnection..."

which ties in to encyclopedia's lecture about dolores dei's death. whether she was actually human, and the ravings of her guard-slash-assassin:
"Something that had walked in our midst, watching us stumble for hundreds, if not thousands of years, until it decided to interfere -- interfere in the course of our history. 'We were supposed to come up with this ourselves!' the man was reported to have screamed at the innocence..."

I can't think of any further discussion of gods. but I suppose the existence of the genius loci of la revacholiere implies the existence of genius loci of other things, possibly including things like "humanity" and "Elysium itself."

finish translating the loving novel zaum I swear to god I'll pay you heck of cash for it.

Roumba posted:

Does hardcore mode have any value other than as a high score challenge mode thing for min-maxer build-n-execute sort of people? Replacing the main menu music with the proto-hardcore beat got a good chuckle out of me.

the harder checks will heavily encourage you to take shitloads of drugs and possibly slightly different routes. towards the end the bonus xp makes the difference disappear. not particularly difficult and it gets you an achievement

e: VVV lmao I didn't catch that. also I guess I should spoil most of this

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 17, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

my eyebrows leapt off my head when encyclopedia said that Dolores Dei's agents were called her "harriers"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paladin posted:

I was watching one of the let's plays posted above and realizes the game probably gives you two savoir-faire reducing items in your starting clothes, just to make it more likely you fail the 'slip away unnoticed' check at the start if attempted.

Also the "don't die of a heart attack while trying to get your tie off of the fan" check.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

my eyebrows leapt off my head when encyclopedia said that Dolores Dei's agents were called her "harriers"

looked it up, gonna be a huge pedant:
"Although she is often considered to be the greatest human being to ever live, there *was* something ominous about Dolores Dei -- constantly surrounded by her Therriers..."

...but ancestry.com says the surname "therrier" is related to "harrier",
so that's close enough for me

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

????

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

World War Mammories posted:

looked it up, gonna be a huge pedant:
"Although she is often considered to be the greatest human being to ever live, there *was* something ominous about Dolores Dei -- constantly surrounded by her Therriers..."

...but ancestry.com says the surname "therrier" is related to "harrier",
so that's close enough for me

i forgive myself for misremembering because yes, they are the same thing

that too, but we sometimes just call them can-openers

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Roumba posted:

I was probably never going to bother trying hardcore mode, so thanks for posting this, that is such a hilarious little touch for them to add.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
It's great. Comrade(?) Egghead shouts out with a 'Yeahh Hardcore!' and the windows of the church pulse with laser light.

I wonder if that's universal or if I unlocked that by being an awesome hard-cop who helped them set up the best drat night club on top of the start of the end of the world: Disco Elysium, where Love is the only drug allowed and it's all you need.

I hope it ends up right next to the youth center to spread our beats to the next generation

Roumba fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 17, 2020

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

trying to do art cop this run...anyone have any lines they know of? I've hit up tommy the man, cindy, the statue, the fritte girl, the heimjdall man book, and missed the little girl comment on dirk gently or whatever the fictional detectives name is. i feel like i should have the thought by now

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Here's a guide

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

I think they mean trans-Atlantic-style slavery, because Klaasje talks about the possibility of being made a sex slave in a Boogie Street brothel. Also, Elysium had serfdom millennia ago, but the Innosence book talks about how Franconegro ended it (but implemented hereditary monarchy to replace it lol).

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Yeah I did all of those aside from the little girl one, and I didn’t get it. Cool

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Here's a better guide and remember that you need Conceptualization 4+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah DE is very much a European game in the same way that Fallout games (at least 1,2, and New Vegas) are quintessentially from the U.S.