Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Endorph's one of those people who immediately assumes the worst when it comes to ambiguous wording because heaven forbid people not be an enemy, especially when it comes to those who are less NT.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Acerbatus posted:

Did you not see the bolding? :v:

:shobon: I just read to the underlined portion and responded to that. I thought that was the highlighted question.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vinny Possum posted:

Probably a question that's been asked a billion times.

I'm not a huge manga reader but i'm looking for some gay romance stuff that's written for gay guys by gay guys, rather than by fujoshi for fujoshi. Any recs?

Here's an article w/ an interview with Gengoroh Tagame talking about BL and gay manga: http://mangacomics.wpengine.com/tcaf-2015-gengoroh-tagame-talks-gay-manga-bara-bl-and-scanlation/ and it also names a few other manga artists that have had work published in English you might look for. He specifically talks about what Endorph also mentioned, how there's not really a clear divide between the two:

quote:

GENGOROH:
When I look at gay art in comics as a critic, I get really anxious about that division precisely because the simplistic way of dividing it is that BL represents more romance, narratives, thinner body types, more effeminate characters. And then so-called “gay manga” would be just more diesel, big guys and more hardcore sex, etc.

But what happens when the creator is a woman doing more hardcore work? Is that considered gay? Is it BL just because she’s female? Is it about the audience, or is it about the creators? So those are definitely things I think about a lot as a critic.

Furthermore, going back to the gender of creators, that’s problematic as well because sometimes BL creators– and I’m speaking just from personal acquaintance with some of these creators– may be biologically female or identify on the page as heterosexual women, but sometimes they’re actually lesbian or transgender.

And then sometimes it’s the case that a woman will draw sort of muscle-y characters and then take on male pen names for publication in gay media. Which is also very… not problematic, but just raises questions, just how do we start to categorize?

There are anecdotes from the editors of gay magazines who see these submissions, see a male pen name and assume that they’re men, write to (the artist), want to meet, when they meet, it’s a shock! (laughs).

Also a lot of the nomenclature just boils down to "what kind of magazine was this published in?" and is used for marketing purposes (another person in that article also talks about this a bit). So it's not always that helpful to think in terms of say, "BL is like this, but gay comics are like that" since tropes and conventions overlap a lot, as well as author and readership demographics.

What might be more helpful is to figure out something like: I want to read stories that talk about X, or I don't like stories that do Y and then look for suggestions that fit that.

I do want to mention Okura who has a couple of titles available in English, specifically That Blue Sky Feeling which is a school-setting romance and I Think My Son is Gay which is a slice-of-life from a supportive mom's POV

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
school zone never makes me laugh but its charming

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Endorph's one of those people who immediately assumes the worst when it comes to ambiguous wording because heaven forbid people not be an enemy, especially when it comes to those who are less NT.

:yikes:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

dunno about you but assuming someone's super great and neurotypical for brownie points is probably more lovely than whatever crime you believe endorph committed

Aurora fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 14, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

'less nt'

does nt mean neurotypical? because im autistic, shithead

its incredibly loving exhausting how theres an entire genre of person who acts like im their evil stepmom or whatever just because i make post on a forum in a way they dont like

and i literally went 'yeah thats fair it was just unfortunate wording' so i dont know why you're jumping into a conversation thats literally resolved just to get some weird own in, but you've made me intensely uncomfortable, so thanks for that?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 14, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

Here's an article w/ an interview with Gengoroh Tagame talking about BL and gay manga: http://mangacomics.wpengine.com/tcaf-2015-gengoroh-tagame-talks-gay-manga-bara-bl-and-scanlation/ and it also names a few other manga artists that have had work published in English you might look for. He specifically talks about what Endorph also mentioned, how there's not really a clear divide between the two:

Also a lot of the nomenclature just boils down to "what kind of magazine was this published in?" and is used for marketing purposes (another person in that article also talks about this a bit). So it's not always that helpful to think in terms of say, "BL is like this, but gay comics are like that" since tropes and conventions overlap a lot, as well as author and readership demographics.

What might be more helpful is to figure out something like: I want to read stories that talk about X, or I don't like stories that do Y and then look for suggestions that fit that.

I do want to mention Okura who has a couple of titles available in English, specifically That Blue Sky Feeling which is a school-setting romance and I Think My Son is Gay which is a slice-of-life from a supportive mom's POV
Also one thing Tagame doesn't mention there is the opposite case, gay men who publish under female pseudonyms. Sort of the opposite of how there's a fair number of female shonen authors who use more male-sounding pen names, like Hiromu Arakawa. So another thing that kinda muddies the waters.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, and mangaka tend to be pretty private so a lot of the time you just have no idea.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

please inject this straight into my veins, tia

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dryad Office Lady Yuri

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/she_becomes_a_tree_ch01

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Looks like the mangaka read Kase-san and wanted to up the ante

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/with_her_who_likes_my_sister_ch02#1

With she who likes my sister updated.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Can love bloom in the workplace? yes, yes it can

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

time once again to get Useless

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kinda fallen off of that a bit but I hope izuma and iroha kiss by the end.

(outlook unlikely)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Massive dump of Wotakoi just showed up on Mangadex. https://mangadex.org/chapter/996294/1

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

Kinda fallen off of that a bit but I hope izuma and iroha kiss by the end.

(outlook unlikely)

I think it is fairly likely.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i say someone in the 90s for percentage it is likely to happen

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’d love a Wotakoi spinoff off just Nao & Kou hanging out, they are very cute together imho

E: I searched Wotakoi on twitter and the first hit is an ANN post saying the next volume of the manga included a ova focusing on the two

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 16, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

oh im sure, just uhhh, weird wording

Yeah, basically. Sorry about that. As I understand and have experienced it (and I might be wrong), yuri tends to be couched in typical manga tropes and its own structures and expectations, whereas I tend to prefer works that break the mold or at least do something new and interesting. Bonus points if its autobiographical.

I also understand that yuri isn’t really representative of WLW in the real world, at least not the majority of it. The stuff that is is great and I would like more opportunities to see more down-to-earth depictions and situations.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 16, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean yuri is no less representative of real-world relationships than the romance genre as a whole is of relationships in general. there's a discussion to be had about common yuri genre tropes and embellishments and why that would lead some stories about lesbian relationships to preferring using a different descriptor but overall i don't think it's fair to blanket so much of it like that. ultimately it's still media that lots of lesbians both create and relate to

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 16, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That’s fair. I guess it’s not about the genre itself. I still enjoy it, as I would any other romance genre.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not gonna lie: My favorite revelation concerning "stock shoujo/romance" clichés was Nozaki-kun saying "Uh, yeah, unless the bike accomodates for it, that whole thing with the Romantic Bike Ride is Illegal and not kosher anymore".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, basically. Sorry about that. As I understand and have experienced it (and I might be wrong), yuri tends to be couched in typical manga tropes and its own structures and expectations, whereas I tend to prefer works that break the mold or at least do something new and interesting. Bonus points if its autobiographical.

I also understand that yuri isn’t really representative of WLW in the real world, at least not the majority of it. The stuff that is is great and I would like more opportunities to see more down-to-earth depictions and situations.
it does have its own structures and expectations but also a ton of yuri mangaka are lesbians. theres a reason we had that whole conversation about gay male bl authors but you rarely see similar conversations about yuri.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's pretty much pointless to view these kinds of things under a blanket because in reality all it comes down to is personal taste. when you start judging something's status as a true lgbt story under arbitrary metrics things just start getting kind of absurd, like you're trying to grade things on an invisible, undefinable spectrum

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I’d love a Wotakoi spinoff off just Nao & Kou hanging out, they are very cute together imho

E: I searched Wotakoi on twitter and the first hit is an ANN post saying the next volume of the manga included a ova focusing on the two

They are my favorite pairing in the series and good on Yokishi trying to support them.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
LGBT manga is the Harada comic where a bigshot guy at a company gets transferred out to the country in disgrace because he was discovered getting pegged by the president's daughter, and meets a layabout dude who's also really into pegging, and because there's no women to peg them they get drunk and gently caress eachother in the rear end

also Jealousy by Scarlet Beriko

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

LGBT manga is the Harada comic where a bigshot guy at a company gets transferred out to the country in disgrace because he was discovered getting pegged by the president's daughter, and meets a layabout dude who's also really into pegging, and because there's no women to peg them they get drunk and gently caress eachother in the rear end

also Jealousy by Scarlet Beriko
i forget who drew it but ill never forget the autobiographical oneshot some yuri manga artist drew where she describes seeing two of her classmates at an all girls school kissing backstage during a play they were putting on and how it completely changed her life and made her realize she could do that too and made her awaken to her sexuality and her desire to make lesbian art and then the manga ends with her relating this to them at a class reunion fifteen years later and they both reply 'wait, you're a dyke? weird.'

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
IIRC that's Tamamusi, sso now you know

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

DisDisDis posted:

IIRC that's Tamamusi, sso now you know

Wow..

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tamamusi is one of the greatest lesbian manga authors ever just for doing a manga with a panel where two women are lying on a bed and one, as she's preparing to shove her face in the other's pussy, is like "Just let me know if you're tired of me, okay? I don't like messy relationships. I'm gonna lick you now."

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Not gonna lie: My favorite revelation concerning "stock shoujo/romance" clichés was Nozaki-kun saying "Uh, yeah, unless the bike accomodates for it, that whole thing with the Romantic Bike Ride is Illegal and not kosher anymore".

I'm just surprised that bike pegs never caught on apparently. I loved those things as a kid

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly I'm trying to think of a single Yuri or even, like, yuri-y SoL piece I've watched/read that is definitely made by a dude and the only one I can think of is New Game. Certainly all the really popular ones I can think of - Nakatani, Saburouta, Canno, Hagino, Hiromi Takashima, etc - are women.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ZeusCannon posted:

I'm just surprised that bike pegs never caught on apparently. I loved those things as a kid
That's the funniest thing, though: Those are still NG!

Or, as promptly explained by this goofy non-chart

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only popular modern yuri thing i can think of thats by a dude is virgins' empire, and thats nearly ten years old and didnt even really start as a yuri series, it just grew into being that

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Endorph posted:

i forget who drew it but ill never forget the autobiographical oneshot some yuri manga artist drew where she describes seeing two of her classmates at an all girls school kissing backstage during a play they were putting on and how it completely changed her life and made her realize she could do that too and made her awaken to her sexuality and her desire to make lesbian art and then the manga ends with her relating this to them at a class reunion fifteen years later and they both reply 'wait, you're a dyke? weird.'

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/i_saw_some_yuri

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
a few yuri works by male authors that come to mind are that the prism/vampeerz mangaka is a guy, right? and the adachi and shimamura ln author is too

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the final runaway with me
https://mangadex.org/chapter/997759/1
it made me cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm bad at making lists of my top manga but that is definitely one of them