Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The game is very clearly supposed to be a co-op experience seeing as you're rolling as a three person team and player abilities should synergize but instead they just have nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also this weekend is an open beta for Avengers on PS4. I think next week is open for everybody else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't wait to get my Verizon Wireless skins.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The funniest thing about those awful looking skins is that apparently they're a timed exclusive? So you can rock a Verizon skin at some point after launch. Bizzare.

I played the beta little more this weekend, I still think that game's got something fun going on. I really wish you could play as Cap more than they give you in that beta, though.

Also, I'm really digging Miles' suit in the new game:

Infinitum posted:

Prepare for Puddlegate 2: Electric Boogaloo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Volition is still around and currently working on a new Saints Row.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Played through the opening and the first(?) story mission and there are definitely characters that seemed more fun to play than others. Of course the story then goes on to start out with the more boring playing characters. Hulk and Ms Marvel are pretty straightforward brawlers and don't get the gimmicks of other heroes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ms Marvel and Hulk have cool intrinsic abilities, however you need to actually level them up on their skill tree to get the utility out of a lot of them. Like Ms Marvel's parry that really rounds out her intrinsic Polymorph ability, or her quick-starting block breaker attacks that make her a lot more flexible (no pun intended).

Iron Man, by contrast, has a pretty well rounded skill set to start out with and then gets more and more techniques and weapons.
Though on the flip-side, Hulk and Ms Marvel's Ultimates are both very usable right out of the gate, while Iron Man's seems to be really hurt by not having the other skill trees available.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 15, 2020

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dan Didio posted:

Still insane to me that they misjudged their own success and audience that badly.
Didn't the creative lead behind all the Saints Rows game leave right after 4? That would explain a lot; I mean the only cool thing Volition seemed to do after 4 was hire ChipCheezum

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

achillesforever6 posted:

Didn't the creative lead behind all the Saints Rows game leave right after 4? That would explain a lot; I mean the only cool thing Volition seemed to do after 4 was hire ChipCheezum

Most of the same writers from 3+, though (I think it's a single name difference). I looked it up when I was playing AOM and regretting it.

Don't play AOM and don't pre-order a single title from the current walking dead Volition until people get it in the wild.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You mean I shouldn't have preordered Saints Row 3 with slightly worse lighting?

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

Most of the same writers from 3+, though (I think it's a single name difference). I looked it up when I was playing AOM and regretting it.

Don't play AOM and don't pre-order a single title from the current walking dead Volition until people get it in the wild.
What sucks is they were kinda a home town pride thing for me, champaign urbana. I lived a bit to the east in Danville but I had friends get hired and hung out some. I just hope they bounce back again.

Agents of mayhem bored the hell out of me but i enjoyed the saints game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, for me at least, it didn't take that long for the combat in Avengers to start to feel repetitive. Doesn't help that the skill tree is mostly combos and it doesn't look like you'll be able to switch out the hero abilities any time soon.

Although I was always going to be a hard sell on the game as I'm not a big loot driven person and prefer more narrative based games.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There's two more skill trees for each hero in the final game and you can swap out abilities that you unlock as you like, but yeah, I think if it's already getting stale for you, it's probably not going to hold your interest.

I think the other trees are mostly role-switching stuff and different effects. I know one is the Hulkbuster's weapons and upgrades.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it seems *fine* but very generic. When it hits like $20, I might pick it up, but I am definitely not paying full price.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Volition is still around and currently working on a new Saints Row.

I don't give a drat about Saints Row 5 but will immediately slam down money for Saints Row 2 Remastered.

On topic: I picked up a Switch recently and was wondering if I should pick up Ultimate Alliance 3 or track down one of the older ones instead.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Achernar posted:

I don't give a drat about Saints Row 5 but will immediately slam down money for Saints Row 2 Remastered.

On topic: I picked up a Switch recently and was wondering if I should pick up Ultimate Alliance 3 or track down one of the older ones instead.

Unless you really like the characters that are only in the new one, the old ones are much better imo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The old ones are pretty hard to get nowadays unless they worked out something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They re--released MUA1 and 2 on current gen consoles. IIRC they're not great ports but they do exist.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

They were delisted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, the easiest way to get MUA right now is probably emulating a PS2 or Gamecube and :filez:. MUA 2 I just wouldn't bother with.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

thebardyspoon posted:

Unless you really like the characters that are only in the new one, the old ones are much better imo.

Never played MUA2 as I heard it was a dumpster fire, but I enjoyed MUA3 only a little less than 1, and that's saying something as I LOVED the first one.

3 is definitely more streamlined and a little more difficult to break with insane skill stacking (like you could with any ice-slow ability in the first), but I still found it great fun to beat multiple times. It's also a lot easier on the eyes than the older games, even if it's not gorgeous because it's a Switch title.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Maybe I'll go back to 3 at some point but there were so many decisions that really put me off that I'm not exactly aching to go back. Making it so when you unlocked a new character they were fully levelled up to where you were but characters not on your team didn't level passively at all was a massive bummer and really made switching around my roster between missions a massive pain. I know there were those consumables for levelling but nowhere enough. Enemies just felt like they took ages to die as well.

I think I beat MUA 1 and 2 at least a couple times back in the day but only got up to the Dr Strange/Ghost Rider section of 3 I think. Probably one of the games I most regret getting at full price in the last few years.

MUA 2 was fine, definitely less good than 1 but it had some decent characters that weren't in 1 and some cool locales and the moment to moment combat was just as satisfying. Civil War is inherently a lot less fun that the big cosmic wackiness the first game had though and the last third got very generic and lost a lot of that classic comic vibe.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The Midniter posted:

Never played MUA2 as I heard it was a dumpster fire, but I enjoyed MUA3 only a little less than 1, and that's saying something as I LOVED the first one.

3 is definitely more streamlined and a little more difficult to break with insane skill stacking (like you could with any ice-slow ability in the first), but I still found it great fun to beat multiple times. It's also a lot easier on the eyes than the older games, even if it's not gorgeous because it's a Switch title.

Kamala's spin stacks well with any projectile making stupid room clearing easy as hell.

I didn't get into this much when it came out but I played the hell out of it when the pandemic started and I unlocked every character but ultimate Thanos. I got to the point where I was just running rifts and white iso farming.

On the whole, it's a fun game and you can make any team viable pretty easily and if you ever get stuck, just do some of the rifts repeatedly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is the first X-Men Legends game out and about anywhere? I think I enjoy that one more than MUA.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finally playing Arkham Knight and the batmobile is not fun at all. That fight againt the excavator almost broke me. Everything else is:discourse:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MUA 1 was definitely the best just from a completeness standpoint. It had the most heroes with the most costumes with the biggest difference between abilities so it wasn't just the same attacks with different names.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Hm. I mean, that seems promising, but so did every other tease they did before so I think I'll hold off on getting hyped.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

MUA 1 was definitely the best just from a completeness standpoint. It had the most heroes with the most costumes with the biggest difference between abilities so it wasn't just the same attacks with different names.

it's kind of amazing that two sequels and over a decade and developers don't seem to remember/have grasped that fans like alternate costumes. Like, that first game had poo poo like Beta Ray Bill as an alt for Thor and now (if you pay extra money) you can unlock... Ultimate Thor. yaaaay.

MUA 1 is far from a perfect game and I'm pretty sure if I went back and tried to play it now it'd probably suck and I'd jump off of it, but yeah, it's a way more complete game than either of the sequels. (plus it has a better story imo with Doom trying to steal power from Odin instead of Thanos trying to get Infinity Stones again, loving yawn)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But I can deck out Captain America in Verizon colors. Verizon up!

E: Also poo poo I kinda wanna play MUA now

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

But I can deck out Captain America in Verizon colors. Verizon up!

No way! Intel costumes rule this playground!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

it's kind of amazing that two sequels and over a decade and developers don't seem to remember/have grasped that fans like alternate costumes. Like, that first game had poo poo like Beta Ray Bill as an alt for Thor and now (if you pay extra money) you can unlock... Ultimate Thor. yaaaay.

MUA 1 is far from a perfect game and I'm pretty sure if I went back and tried to play it now it'd probably suck and I'd jump off of it, but yeah, it's a way more complete game than either of the sequels. (plus it has a better story imo with Doom trying to steal power from Odin instead of Thanos trying to get Infinity Stones again, loving yawn)

MUA 1 had the best alternate costumes because (just about) every character had 4 costumes. 3 alternate time period costume and then 1 that's actually a different character like Xorn or Ben Reilly or US Agent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So some people datamined the Avengers beta and think they've found a list of unannounced characters. Specifically this list is characters that all have info for a challenge card which is the game's version of a battle pass.

Ant Man
The Wasp
Vision
Black Panther
Dr. Strange
Falcon
Mar-Vell
Mockingbird
Quake
Winter Soldier
Scarlet Witch
Captain Marvel
Kate Bishop
She-Hulk
War Machine

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No Black Knight?
No Goliath?!
NO D-MAN?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

So some people datamined the Avengers beta and think they've found a list of unannounced characters. Specifically this list is characters that all have info for a challenge card which is the game's version of a battle pass.

Ant Man
The Wasp
Vision
Black Panther
Dr. Strange
Falcon
Mar-Vell
Mockingbird
Quake
Winter Soldier
Scarlet Witch
Captain Marvel
Kate Bishop
She-Hulk
War Machine

No real surprises there. All characters with their own movies, supporting roles in those movies, or upcoming/existing shows.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

No quicksilver is a weird choice.

There’s also some other stuff floating about that seems to let you in on some of the game’s story and where things go, who they fight, etc.

Also one of Cap’s unlockable suits is really close to The First Avenger suit, which is nice to see.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 18, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

There’s also some other stuff floating about that seems to let you in on some of the game’s story and where things go, who they fight, etc.

Also one of Cap’s unlockable suits is really close to The First Avenger suit, which is nice to see.

Quicksilver probably still had weird X-Men stuff when this was in development.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That Scarlet Witch didn’t?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dan Didio posted:

Problems with designing / balancing a speedster maybe?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

That Scarlet Witch didn’t?

Scarlet Witch was not appearing in X-Men movies, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Scarlet Witch was not appearing in X-Men movies, no.

Quicksilver wasn’t prevented from appearing in Avengers’ properties because of being in an X-Men movie, though.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Problems with designing / balancing a speedster maybe?

Maybe, doesn’t seem like it would be too complicated, but I can understand how it might mean a lot more testing, especially compared to that roster.