Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PMush Perfect posted:

That might be the largest contrast between "length of active thread participation" and "number of posts" I've ever seen. Two pages in seven years.

That depends on how you define active, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Scintilla posted:

Alright. This one's much longer and more detailed.

Unfortunately these are the only two articles I thought to save. Still, they provide an interesting insight into how Rich designs his villains, especially when comparing the Fire King to Redcloak.

Thanks for this. I’ve been trying my hand at creative writing, and this should prove immensely useful for fleshing out what I already have in mind for my main antagonist.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

goblin week posted:

So what would be Xykon’s theme music?

I'm not sure what exactly would fit the notion of "lazy goofball who is also hypercompetent and terrifyingly powerful." I'd probably peg him with some sort of Heavy Metal. If we're drawing from the well of Final Fantasy themes, I'd peg him with Clash on the Big Bridge; it's frenetic, but with an undercurrent of danger.

I'm mostly annoyed that he uses "Edea's theme" as an example, given that she has at least three different themes, none of which are actually labeled as such. I'm gonna guess Fithos Lusec Vecos Vinosec, since it projects a fair mix of cunning and power. Succession of Witches is also very insidious and threatening, but is way too obviously cold to fit a fire-themed villain, and Premonition is pretty melancholic.

I'm more curious about the emotional themes, though. Redcloak is clearly fueled by revenge, with undercurrents of justice and hatred, and Xykon inspires abject terror, but what of the other way around? The Order has been largely indifferent to Redcloak until this very moment, but if the parley was meant to inspire a singular emotion, I'd definitely peg it as frustration. He kept getting side-tracked and taking jabs at Durkon, and when negotiations broke down, Durkon used what could have been his last words ever to call him a fucker.

Xykon's emotional foundation is harder to pin down. What we're given of his goals is that he wants to amass power and never die, which you could pass as greed, lust or even fear, but I don't think any of that entirely scans. If his ultimate goal was to not die, threatening the very foundation of creation and the gods themselves when you're already immortal is not the best way to accomplish that. I also don't think he actually believes the Plan will succeed, given his evidenced distrust for Redcloak. I'd say he's guided by complacency more than anything; he's good at being a villain and he doesn't know how to do anything else, and bailing on Redcloak to find a whole new scheme to threaten the world and a new set of minions takes more effort than seeing where things go.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lechuck from monkey island is the same archetype, and his music fits xykon well enough

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I thought I had saved all of the articles back when Rich said he was taking them down. If I find where I saved them, I'll repost.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm not sure what exactly would fit the notion of "lazy goofball who is also hypercompetent and terrifyingly powerful." I'd probably peg him with some sort of Heavy Metal. If we're drawing from the well of Final Fantasy themes, I'd peg him with Clash on the Big Bridge; it's frenetic, but with an undercurrent of danger.

I'm mostly annoyed that he uses "Edea's theme" as an example, given that she has at least three different themes, none of which are actually labeled as such. I'm gonna guess Fithos Lusec Vecos Vinosec, since it projects a fair mix of cunning and power. Succession of Witches is also very insidious and threatening, but is way too obviously cold to fit a fire-themed villain, and Premonition is pretty melancholic.

I'm more curious about the emotional themes, though. Redcloak is clearly fueled by revenge, with undercurrents of justice and hatred, and Xykon inspires abject terror, but what of the other way around? The Order has been largely indifferent to Redcloak until this very moment, but if the parley was meant to inspire a singular emotion, I'd definitely peg it as frustration. He kept getting side-tracked and taking jabs at Durkon, and when negotiations broke down, Durkon used what could have been his last words ever to call him a fucker.

Xykon's emotional foundation is harder to pin down. What we're given of his goals is that he wants to amass power and never die, which you could pass as greed, lust or even fear, but I don't think any of that entirely scans. If his ultimate goal was to not die, threatening the very foundation of creation and the gods themselves when you're already immortal is not the best way to accomplish that. I also don't think he actually believes the Plan will succeed, given his evidenced distrust for Redcloak. I'd say he's guided by complacency more than anything; he's good at being a villain and he doesn't know how to do anything else, and bailing on Redcloak to find a whole new scheme to threaten the world and a new set of minions takes more effort than seeing where things go.

Immortality with none of the downsides of being a lich, maybe?

But, yeah, it’s something that I’ve been noticing: despite being the ostensible main villain of the story, it’s... still really unclear just what the hell is keeping Xykon going aside from sheer inertia at this point. We’ve gotten so much analysis of Redcloak from the story itself that Xykon has almost fallen out of focus.

If anything, it seems like Sloth has become his most defining attribute, even after V gave him one hell of a wakeup call. He’s undeniably powerful, but he puts most of his creativity into being a petty dick, instead of making newer overarching plans as circumstances change around him.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Xykon is just bored, not slothful. He wants to be entertained.

Someone who slights him will suffer no end of energy and aggression, but he won't destroy you merely for being in his way.

Unless it's funny.

Ochul or V, if he sees them again, are in for the full brunt of his villainy

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Pope Guilty posted:

I realized I would've started sometime in 2004 and that's a big oof from me.

:same:

It's been so long I have no idea how I first came across it or what my first strip was. Lost to the mists of time.

(eta: Also, it's been seven years since my last post in this thread. What's my prize?)

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 16, 2020

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

PMush Perfect posted:

Apparently. Jesus.

Edit: Meanwhile, I've got a 10.7 posts-per-day average despite A) being here for eleven years, and B) having taken a few several-month long sabbaticals.

How do you figure this out? By hand or?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

How do you figure this out? By hand or?

It's on your profile.

Yours is 2.37 posts per day.

Though it's not necessarily accurate since.some subforums don't count your posts or even count them as negative. YOSPOS, BYOB, and FYAD, for instance. I assume CSPAM is there, too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I thought I had saved all of the articles back when Rich said he was taking them down. If I find where I saved them, I'll repost.

This is the last snapshot of the main page for the articles on the Internet Archive.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200216152147/http://www.giantitp.com/Gaming.html

And likewise for the stories, which never got more than the Duke's Wolf by Amber E. Scott, in four parts. I've never read it and forgot it used to be there.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200216152139/http://www.giantitp.com/Stories.html

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Xykon doesn't particularly have a driving motive in any normal sense. He seems to just want to... be as powerful as possible, for as long as possible, and does awful things both in service of this goal and to pass the time.

He's like if a billionaire were to just shoot people in the street sometimes.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ikanreed posted:

Lechuck from monkey island is the same archetype, and his music fits xykon well enough

LeChuck? Really? I'm thinking of LeChuck's various appearances and I don't think he's ever a goofball. Sure, he lives in a setting where comedy is a huge element, but he's generally a straightforward threat.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

paradoxGentleman posted:

LeChuck? Really? I'm thinking of LeChuck's various appearances and I don't think he's ever a goofball. Sure, he lives in a setting where comedy is a huge element, but he's generally a straightforward threat.

Rewatch the first cut scene with him and his first mate and tell me that again.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't remember when I first started following OotS actively, but I do know that I at least read some of it around fall 2006 when another student brought it up during an intro group project at university

I think maybe that was during the star metal arc, or just after it?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Endless Mike posted:

It's on your profile.

Yours is 2.37 posts per day.

Though it's not necessarily accurate since.some subforums don't count your posts or even count them as negative. YOSPOS, BYOB, and FYAD, for instance. I assume CSPAM is there, too.

Oh. I knew that part, but I thought Pmush was talking about this thread specifically.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh. I knew that part, but I thought Pmush was talking about this thread specifically.

I mean if you feel like doing a little math and using the ? function...

Counting this post, I have made just over 0.112 posts per day in this thread since Dec 21 2009

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I don't remember at which strip I started following OotS, but it was very blue

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

...poo poo, imagine a Demon Zombie Ghost Pirate Lich. LeChuck is, certainly a good comparison yeah.
He's totally a goof, or at least acting for the tropes. I mean, look at how he never really TRIED to kill Sheepcomb.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
"Oh hello, needlessly verbose newbie who's somehow familiar with all the thread references. It's a shame you didn't get here sooner, there was another guy I think you'd hit it off with but he got banned last year."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sloth feels right for Xykon to me. His primary goal is basically "ensure that nothing can ever happen to me that I don't enjoy."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shugojin posted:

I mean if you feel like doing a little math and using the ? function...

Counting this post, I have made just over 0.112 posts per day in this thread since Dec 21 2009
I napkin mathed mine, and I'm a bit under 2.5 posts per week, over ten and a half years.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

I napkin mathed mine, and I'm a bit under 2.5 posts per week, over ten and a half years.
You figure that works out to what, a post per comic?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There's been a lot fewer pages than I've made posts.

I do not shut up.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Did I just do the math backwards in this grognard thread

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

how the gently caress did I fail to post at all in this thread during 2014, a year when this comic was going nuts with twists and turns

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh neat. April 30th, 2007 was my first post in this thread.

Thirteen loving years, been reading this (at least)

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

ikanreed posted:

In "how will Xykon be defeated" chat, I had never considered grabbing a random bottle of root beer and spraying it at Xykon.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I discovered OotS through the comics in Dragon (or was it Dungeon?) magazine back in the early Aughts. I have no idea what strip was current when I went to the website because I went straight to the beginning.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
The main thing that this diversion has reminded me is that I need to buy the books. I’ve had a lot of entertainment from this comic over the years and although I bought some books in the Kickstarter, they were lost in a house move. I should definitely send some money Rich’s way!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have two or three signed books somewhere at my dads, he was at Origins in 07 or 08. The next year he got sick and had to cancel but that was the year I got the OotS boardgame

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I'm still holding out for the pdf release of Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales, now that the hard copies seem to be gone.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

PMush Perfect posted:

That might be the largest contrast between "length of active thread participation" and "number of posts" I've ever seen. Two pages in seven years.

I have less than one page of posts, and my first post is the third one in the thread.

I /think/ I probably started reading while they were in the dungeon of Dorukan, but it's difficult to remember. Of the still-running web comics that I still read OotS is the oldest.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

maltesh posted:

I have less than one page of posts, and my first post is the third one in the thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZzlPGnKdU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't speak unless I have something to say. It's both a part of my internet life AND my real life!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Sky Shadowing posted:

I don't speak unless I have something to say. It's both a part of my internet life AND my real life!

Hey, we’re like twins!
Except I go from long lengths of extreme silence to manic-fueled word-vomit which gets me in trouble
On Internet life AND real life!

Twins!

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
Caught up on page 253 (Harry Potter parody page), which looks to have been in 2005. Taking a look at my, uh, teenage LiveJournal, it looks like I was also into Sluggy Freelance, Shortpacked, No Rest for the Wicked, Girly, and a bunch of relative unknowns--Jesus, haven't thought of most of these in ages.

PMush Perfect posted:

aegof posted:

Lurking is an art.

it appears I have made one post per year on average in this thread

Tjadeth fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 17, 2020

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I started somewhere in the middle of the Miko plot line before they got to Azure City, because I remember waiting for strips to come out while they were meeting Shojo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't post much because I actually have very little actual D&D experience (older brother DMd when I was in grade school, and I played 4E for a few months in my twenties) , so I have nothing to add to rules-related discussion. My comic discussion is mostly "Comic Good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

YggiDee posted:

I don't post much because I actually have very little actual experience

This attitude is a grave abuse of how posting was meant to be.