Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
tbh when you live in The Land of Tornadoes, it's hard to get real excited about straight-line winds.

. . . . until yesterday, that is :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You can't blame Midwesterners for ignoring something that has a Spanish name, it's instinctive.

if you change "derecho" to "cheese dip" they're more okay with ordering it and it's a high-margin item

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Weathergeddon 2020: Chairicane Warning

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

these hypercanes could be a good way to subsidize public transit by giving everyone a voucher for one of those flying squirrel suits, just suit up and safely ride the winds to work every morning

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

blatman posted:

these hypercanes could be a good way to subsidize public transit by giving everyone a voucher for one of those flying squirrel suits, just suit up and safely ride the winds to work every morning

sir that is extremely offensive

businesses worth commuting to close at least the day before any hypercane is projected to hit, because the electrical grid is expected to become unreliable

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

blatman posted:

why bother just leave the front door open until your patio umbrella gently floats into your living room

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/MatthewCappucci/status/1294759244722581505

lmao. fire tornado. FIRE TORNADO

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

did this storm spring up out of nowhere or something why wouldn't you bring your furniture indoors

The forecast for the day was like a 30% chance of rain. There was maybe 20 minutes of warning if even that and it was in the middle of the day when a lot of people were out of the house.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
In 2012 there was no warning in the DC area even after the ~Super Derecho~ had left most of Ohio without power. It just *happened* and when I saw 200k reported outages and climbing by the minute on the local power company's tracking website I grabbed a bag and went looking for a hotel that still had power and hadn't thought to gouge their rates yet.

Looking back at the history of the event, meteorologists could see atmospheric conditions were primed, but nothing like it had happened before, and I guess there's no reason to scare people with something you'll have to explain.

Maybe after this they'll finally start calling them Inland Hurricanes so people will instinctively know they're not to be hosed with.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/nevada_traveler/status/1294799157241118720

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It's the first time they've put out a warning, but it's far from the first time it's happened. I'm guessing that the Carr Fire blindsiding a couple of fire agencies with an EF3 tornado was the straw that broke the camel's back.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Complications posted:

It's the first time they've put out a warning, but it's far from the first time it's happened. I'm guessing that the Carr Fire blindsiding a couple of fire agencies with an EF3 tornado was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Supposedly that was a fire whirl which regardless of speed is technically distinct from a fire tornado.

https://twitter.com/weather_chest/status/1294765716462342145

Thats a tornado - its a goddamn supercell!

As for the Carr Fire one...
https://twitter.com/NWSSacramento/status/1025125984465498112

https://twitter.com/NWSReno/status/1025147689028263938

So... since there was no radar coverage and nobody saw it so it could not fulfill the requirements for a warning? Regardless, a firewhirl resulting from the updraft of fire is different from a pyrocumulonimbus taking on supercell characteristics and dropping a tornado.

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Aug 16, 2020

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
look am i gonna see righteous hellfire spew forth from the sky or not?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

depends what you consider righteous

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Giga Gaia posted:

look am i gonna see righteous hellfire spew forth from the sky or not?

From both the ground and the sky.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

taqueso posted:

depends what you consider righteous

old testament style

hobbesmaster posted:

From both the ground and the sky.

inshallah

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm kinda surprised the Dericho only got like 5 posts in this thread because holy poo poo. Hurricanes aren't supposed to happen in the middle of a continent. We only got power back 6 days later and our neighborhood is one of the luckier ones. There are places that won't have power for weeks. Tens of thousands of trees down and they took out every other house in the county. The storm was on Monday and we didn't even have cell phone reception until Thursday and there were no gas stations open until this weekend. A couple grocery stores and home improvement places got themselves powered with generators and that was it for commerce. My internet happens to be DSL so it is working since the phone lines came back up with the power but all my neighbors have cable internet and don't even know when they'll be able to get service again so like five houses are all using my wifi. We drove two hours away on Tuesday morning to get a chainsaw from my wife's parents and got our place cleared by noon on Wednesday so started just driving around to friend's places and seeing who needed help. I've spent more time cutting trees the last few days than my entire life up to this point and it's probably going to continue for another week, though at this point more and more people have everything cleared that can be done without professionals with cranes and poo poo. The place I work just shut down and told everyone to check back in next week.

There has been zero government response until the governor finally activated the national guard on Friday. Just an utter and complete failure. It's been entirely just members of the community doing whatever they can to help others. There are whole neighborhoods that still lack power and water and there are still people sleeping in parking lots outside of their apartment. I don't even know what to do to help at this point. All my family and friends have non-huge trees cleared, and any friends of friends seem set as well. But I know there are still thousands of people who need support within a couple miles of me and I don't know what I can do for them.

https://twitter.com/notrealMolly/status/1294443333654384647?s=20

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Sitting here in northern California, in the middle of a pandemic, in possibly the largest heat wave ever, during a red flag fire warning, and awakened to easily the largest dry lightning storm I've ever seen. Spot fires popping up everywhere, and power lines arcing. This is nothing short of apocalyptic feeling.

Maria Juana
May 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Sitting here in northern California, in the middle of a pandemic, in possibly the largest heat wave ever, during a red flag fire warning, and awakened to easily the largest dry lightning storm I've ever seen. Spot fires popping up everywhere, and power lines arcing. This is nothing short of apocalyptic feeling.

:piss:

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Oh forgot to include the rolling blackouts, can't forget those!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

:wow:

https://twitter.com/JohnnyVolk/status/1294995100661977091

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

donnie darko was a documentary

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
That was probably the largest thunderstorm I've seen in the Bay Area

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna guess the technical distinction between a true firenado and a fire whirl, even a big one, is whether or not it's associated with a mesocyclone.

Shits getting bad here in Colorado too. Four major fires and Denver has been pretty hazy. Sometimes it smells like a charcoal grill outside

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Here's a cute li'l firetwister from 2003

I remember being so impressed with it, but it's really nothing compared to yesterday's :ohdear:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I don't see the big deal, if you go into the fire tornado fight with 2 ice rods u can win in 2 rounds

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blatman posted:

I don't see the big deal, if you go into the fire tornado fight with 2 ice rods u can win in 2 rounds

might work against a fire whirl but will just get you killed against a fire tornado

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Thoguh posted:

I'm kinda surprised the Dericho only got like 5 posts in this thread because holy poo poo. Hurricanes aren't supposed to happen in the middle of a continent. We only got power back 6 days later and our neighborhood is one of the luckier ones. There are places that won't have power for weeks. Tens of thousands of trees down and they took out every other house in the county. The storm was on Monday and we didn't even have cell phone reception until Thursday and there were no gas stations open until this weekend. A couple grocery stores and home improvement places got themselves powered with generators and that was it for commerce. My internet happens to be DSL so it is working since the phone lines came back up with the power but all my neighbors have cable internet and don't even know when they'll be able to get service again so like five houses are all using my wifi. We drove two hours away on Tuesday morning to get a chainsaw from my wife's parents and got our place cleared by noon on Wednesday so started just driving around to friend's places and seeing who needed help. I've spent more time cutting trees the last few days than my entire life up to this point and it's probably going to continue for another week, though at this point more and more people have everything cleared that can be done without professionals with cranes and poo poo. The place I work just shut down and told everyone to check back in next week.

There has been zero government response until the governor finally activated the national guard on Friday. Just an utter and complete failure. It's been entirely just members of the community doing whatever they can to help others. There are whole neighborhoods that still lack power and water and there are still people sleeping in parking lots outside of their apartment. I don't even know what to do to help at this point. All my family and friends have non-huge trees cleared, and any friends of friends seem set as well. But I know there are still thousands of people who need support within a couple miles of me and I don't know what I can do for them.

also to be real for a moment; i think everybody knows this but it's worth emphasizing that this is the new normal, coming soon to a community near you

natural disasters will shatter lives and livelihoods, leave vast numbers without power or amenities, cripple local economies, and the news cycle will move on within days...if you're lucky to get coverage at all

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

i thought the storm had moved up north of me then out of nowhere saw a flash and the loudest thunder i've ever heard. set off half the car alarms on my street. got some rain though, so now it feels like missouri here 100+ and high humidity

i just apologized to my daughter for the hellworld she will inherit :smith:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Thoguh posted:

hyperlocal mutual aid networks among neighbors is really all there is left to rely on. even at the town level most municipalities are to debt burdened by their state govs that public works depts have been gutted.

We were without power for a week a few weeks back when the tropical storm hit CT. Our neighborhood averaged about 1 generator every three houses, but people were awesome, and instead of just powers their own houses fully, everyone was running cords to multiple houses to keep people’s refrigerators running. Was pretty funny having my fridge be the only source of light in the house for a bit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Luneshot posted:

also to be real for a moment; i think everybody knows this but it's worth emphasizing that this is the new normal, coming soon to a community near you

natural disasters will shatter lives and livelihoods, leave vast numbers without power or amenities, cripple local economies, and the news cycle will move on within days...if you're lucky to get coverage at all

"Oh? A Derecho damaged your house? And yes, I can see you have Homeowner's/Renter's Insurance with us, and a twenty-three year account holder ~and we do thank you for your business and loyalty~. Buuuuuuut...you didn't elect to take out a Catastrophic Natural Disaster Type C add-on package that specifically covers storms like Derechos. Sorrrrrry, absolutely nothing we can do!" :troll:

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Aug 17, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Oh? A Derecho damaged your house? And yes, I can see you have Homeowner's/Renter's Insurance with us, and a twenty-three year account holder ~and we do thank you for your business and loyalty~. Buuuuuuut...you didn't elect to take out a Catastrophic Natural Disaster Type C add-on package that specifically covers storms like Derechos. Sorrrrrry, absolutely nothing we can do!" :troll:

They don't cover "cool sounding storms". So for example - hurricanes, that sounds cool right? Well, they don't cover hurricanes! Imagine the insurance industry's surprise when they were about to laugh about hurricane sandy trashing NYC and not having to pay for it, except surprise! Sandy underwent an extratropical transition so it was just a regular low and they had to pay out.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Does the insurance industry try to lobby climate scientists and meteorologists when it comes to storm categorizations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

this isn't what I meant by coverage but it's also depressingly accurate

anyway content:
https://twitter.com/NWSLakeCharles/status/1295171129707868160

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Atrocious Joe posted:

Does the insurance industry try to lobby climate scientists and meteorologists when it comes to storm categorizations.

crack

ping

*smiles blissfully*

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'd be really surprised if that's not a big portion of AccuWeather's business model.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Atrocious Joe posted:

yeah that doesn't make any sense

insurance covers the type of damage, and wind damage is normally covered, why would storm categorization, which is based on wind speeds, even be an issue

btw the things you need extra special insurance for are flooding and earthquakes. and flood insurance for huge parts of the country like the gulf coast is heavily subsidized by the government, and earthquake insurance is cheap as hell

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

No matter how many wings you attach, pretty sure that house ain't getting airborne.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

dr_rat posted:

No matter how many wings you attach, pretty sure that house ain't getting airborne.

maybe if it was on a treadmill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dr_rat posted: