Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Len posted:

But when can I expect Starfox to be in all the other versions of Starlink?

I'm making the petition as we speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

2. Sony owns the rights to the character but he's a Marvel character first and foremost so it bothers people in a way it doesn't Link who is a Nintendo character in a way that Spider-Man isn't a Sony character.

This is a huge factor. Yes, Sony owns the rights but basically everyone thinks of Spider-Man as a Marvel character, because, well,
1)He was created by Marvel
2)Marvel Comics publishes Spider-Man comics
3)He’s been in the Avengers and is a big part of the MCU.
It hasn’t happened with a lot of other games/characters since those didn’t have a company that owned the rights making their own console.

Hell, he’s playable in both Xbox and PS3 versions of the first two Ultimate Alliance games and is in the (terrible) 3rd one, which is Nintendo exclusive.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

spider man is not in the avengers, lol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

spider man is not in the avengers, lol

The movies, not the team. He’s been in the fantastic 4 though. The team. Not the movies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

He's been in the avengers, the team in the comics, at least for a bit when Bendis was writing them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did both Bayonetta games get rereleased on PS4 or was it just the first one?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RareAcumen posted:

Did both Bayonetta games get rereleased on PS4 or was it just the first one?

Just the first one, Nintendo foot the bill for Bayo 2 and 3

But people like Nintendo so it wasn't a big deal

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

it’s me, im the brain genius upset i dont get a character that’s been owned by sony since 1998 on my Xbox

Also me but not as a joke

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
i love it when companies pay to remove content from my full-price game step on me sony daddy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Like do you guys think the free post launch dlc character is going to be fully implemented into the story? It's gonna be like Agent in RE6 at best.

People gonna be coming into the thread years down the line "man it feels like Spider-Man is just kind of there and doesn't do anything" and the thread will go "yep"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

1stGear posted:

i love it when companies pay to remove content from my full-price game step on me sony daddy

We dont know the ins and outs of the sony/marvel spiderman deal, or how it effects the Square game, but I gotta think its a "We'll give you permission to use him, but only on the playstation" instead of a "We'll pay you to not put him on the Xbox" situation. Sony have the rights to make spider-man video games, along with some movie rights (something something distribution, something something profit sharing). Buying exclusivity is a dick move (that both Sony and Microsoft use, but that doesnt make it any less of a dick move), but not allowing a character you have the rights to to be used on your competitions hardware is more understandable to me.

I mean, they lost me at "game as service" tbh, I'll get my spider-man videogame fix from the Miles Morales game when it comes out, as long as it has a beginning, middle and end and doesnt expect me to treat it like a second job.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If it's any mercy the game looks like arse, and the previews have not been kind, so this may sink without a trace. Also why does Kamala Khan look 38 years old?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If it's any mercy the game looks like arse, and the previews have not been kind, so this may sink without a trace. Also why does Kamala Khan look 38 years old?

THANNNOOOOOSSSS :arghfist:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I got a really strong "You idiots! These are not them! You've captured their stunt doubles!" vibe from the characters.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

Like do you guys think the free post launch dlc character is going to be fully implemented into the story? It's gonna be like Agent in RE6 at best.

People gonna be coming into the thread years down the line "man it feels like Spider-Man is just kind of there and doesn't do anything" and the thread will go "yep"

People still playing that game years down the line would be a stretch.

Anyway I think there's a pretty big difference between not being able to play a Nintendo character in your Soul Caliber game and not being able to play one of the biggest (the biggest?) Marvel characters in the big new Marvel game. If Nathan Dake or whatever was the playstation exclusive character THEN that would be a good analogy and also no one would be mad about it.

I personally don't give a poo poo but if you're somehow hyped for that game I can see why it would bother you.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Aug 17, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

Just the first one, Nintendo foot the bill for Bayo 2 and 3

But people like Nintendo so it wasn't a big deal

This isn't the first time you've gone back to this one and no, dude, people were pissed and still are that bayonetta 2 was a nintendo exclusive. And the big difference between "Getting pokemon on the playstation" and this is pokemon is a first party Nintendo series while Sony owns the film rights to Spiderman. If anyone even wanted to put a pokemon game on another platform they would have to deal with nintendo, there's no reason why spiderman should be sony only but for some loving reason he is. But keep going to bat for the mega corporation that has a long standing history of really awful and exploitative business practices, including a very notable history of trying to maintain a stranglehold monpoly on multiplatform releases with this kind of garbage exclusive DLC and other shady poo poo, by all means.

Len posted:

I mean they have a stronger argument for it than you do given that the devs have already said that every character is going to have story missions. So the end result is either Spiderman is just going to have no content due to this, which is a detriment to a very popular character, or there's going to be story content that only the Sony platform gets which is pretty BS.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Aug 17, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

People still playing that game years down the line would be a stretch.

There's always going to be someone like Bioenchanted going "huh what's this game like?" and grabbing it on extreme discount

I'm getting a copy because Verizon gave it away the other day and how bad can it be?

Nuebot posted:

This isn't the first time you've gone back to this one and no, dude, people were pissed and still are that bayonetta 2 was a nintendo exclusive. And the big difference between "Getting pokemon on the playstation" and this is pokemon is a first party Nintendo series while Sony owns the film rights to Spiderman. If anyone even wanted to put a pokemon game on another platform they would have to deal with nintendo, there's no reason why spiderman should be sony only but for some loving reason he is. But keep going to bat for the mega corporation that has a long standing history of really awful and exploitative business practices, including a very notable history of trying to maintain a stranglehold monpoly on multiplatform releases with this kind of garbage exclusive DLC and other shady poo poo, by all means.

And Sony just negotiated a whole new deal with Disney with the guy. Do we know they dont get dibs on videogame appearances?

But if you're so concerned about correctness is Starfox in every Starlink?

Edit 2: Mortal Kombat 11 didn't have an exclusive on any other systems either. Where were the outrage think pieces then?

Len has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Aug 17, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quote is not edit

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

But if you're so concerned about correctness is Starfox in every Starlink?

Edit 2: Mortal Kombat 11 didn't have an exclusive on any other systems either. Where were the outrage think pieces then?

Spider-Man had been in games on other consoles (Ultimate Alliance 3 on the Switch) as recently as last summer, so there’s a very different expectation as far as exclusivity goes.

What Mortal Kombat 11 character are you talking about? I have it on PS4 and PC and the rosters are the same as far as I remember.

E:Are you thinking of Kratos in MK9? There was actually an attempt to add Marcus Fenix to the XBox version so each console would have an exclusive, but it fell through.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Aug 17, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Spider-Man had been in games on other consoles (Ultimate Alliance 3 on the Switch) as recently as last summer, so there’s a very different expectation as far as exclusivity goes.

What Mortal Kombat 11 character are you talking about? I have it on PS4 and PC and the rosters are the same as far as I remember.

E:Are you thinking of Kratos in MK9? There was actually an attempt to add Marcus Fenix to the XBox version so each console would have an exclusive, but it fell through.

Yeah I dunno it may have been 9? I Googled poorly because my stance of "why is Pokemon not on PlayStation is worse than a bad faith argument" and I know it. Bayonetta 2 absolutely didn't get the rage and think pieces Spiderman being exclusive has though

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

Yeah I dunno it may have been 9? I Googled poorly because my stance of "why is Pokemon not on PlayStation is worse than a bad faith argument" and I know it. Bayonetta 2 absolutely didn't get the rage and think pieces Spiderman being exclusive has though

Bayonetta 2 was also in the position where it wouldn’t be made if Nintendo didn’t fund it, it wasn’t taking content out of an already existing game and sticking it on a console.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
e: nah

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Spider-Man is one of the most beloved comic book characters in history. It's pretty understandable, whether you agree with them or not, that people are mad about being locked out of playing him.

And from what I've read, it's like the people not getting him are losing out on a whole portion of the game, with story missions etc that are just not going to be available on Xbox or PC

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

https://kotaku.com/actually-it-is-kinda-b-s-that-bayonetta-2-is-a-wii-u-5945445

Literally three seconds on google, and there are countless more examples. Of course Bayonetta 2 didn't get the same reaction spiderman has: Avengers is a bigger franchise and Spiderman a much more popular character, Bayonetta is an incredibly niche series not to mention that Bayonetta 2 came out over five years ago and even in five years the general climate in regards to people being tired of this poo poo has shifted.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Memento posted:

Spider-Man is one of the most beloved comic book characters in history. It's pretty understandable, whether you agree with them or not, that people are mad about being locked out of playing him.

And from what I've read, it's like the people not getting him are losing out on a whole portion of the game, with story missions etc that are just not going to be available on Xbox or PC

It can't be that important since it's going to be content released a year after launch when nobody is playing anymore

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Memento posted:

I seriously doubt they're putting a ton of effort into the Spider-Man mission(s). Most exclusive stuff like that is bare minimum effort poo poo. Like I doubt that many of the characters will even have Spider-Man specific dialog when dealing with the character.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

I seriously doubt they're putting a ton of effort into the Spider-Man mission(s). Most exclusive stuff like that is bare minimum effort poo poo. Like I doubt that many of the characters will even have Spider-Man specific dialog when dealing with the character.

Given that the game has been in development forever I wonder how much is gonna be no-effort stuff made to be platform exclusive, how much is going to be stuff that they actually tried on but planned to cut anyway, and how much was stuff that they were planning on keeping but decided to take the guaranteed money on a deal with Sony when it looked like the game was shaping up to be a disaster.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

muscles like this! posted:

quote:

One of the biggest issues surrounding this exclusive partnership between Marvel and Sony is that Spider-Man isn't merely getting tossed into the game. Spidey will have his own self-contained story arc that will be integrated into the larger narrative of Marvel's Avengers. This means that PlayStation owners will not only get access to the character, but also to a fair bit of additional campaign content. While not much is known about Spider-Man's role in the game, Crystal Dynamics has stated that their own rendition of the superhero will be an integral part to Marvel's Avengers. The core storyline, the other heroes, and even the villains are set to speak to where and how Spidey belongs in the world before the character is released.

https://screenrant.com/marvels-avengers-spider-man-missions-playstation-exclusive-bad/

:shrug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Every other iteration will just have custom scenes of the other characters shrugging resignedly and expressing their sadness that Peter died last week

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every other platform gets Ben Reilly as Scarlet Spider in otherwise completely identical cutscenes where everyone exclusively refers to both characters as "Spidey"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Len posted:

drat near every person in the world knows who Spider-Man is, Bayoentta has a solid cult following but the first game sold 1.35 million copies, it’s not really an odd thing that people are more vocal about this.
Also, again, an entire game being made for one system and not entire is super different than a game have less content on another system.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There's also the fact that a big focus of that Avengers game is giving every character a distinctly different playstyle. Captain America fights similarly to the Arkham games, Thor's apparently reminiscent of the new God of War, Black Widow is very Devil May Cry-esque. Nobody's really 'like' anyone else, so making a comparison to version-exclusive characters in a fighting game doesn't quite hold, even if it looks like it does, because it's a lot more substantial.

It's like if Final Fantasy XV decided to make all Prompto content Playstation-exclusive. Only in this example Prompto is a character beloved by fans for decades, had never been explicitly tied to Playstation in any way, and had been in a game on another platform just the year before.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Super Mario Bros. had delightful water levels back in the 80s and it has been downhill ever since.

Funny, for me that was the first time I remember hating water levels.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I remember not liking them, but being conflicted because they were a videogame, and nobody could make a videogame without it being good :confused:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cleretic posted:

It's like if Final Fantasy XV decided to make all Prompto content Playstation-exclusive. Only in this example Prompto is a character beloved by fans for decades, had never been explicitly tied to Playstation in any way except Sony using a Prompto Font for literally all their system branding for over a decade

Bushmaori posted:

Funny, for me that was the first time I remember hating water levels.

Admittedly they're nowhere near as good as Mega Man 4's Dive Man stage, which is probably the actual apex of water levels, but I always thought they were a nice change of pace.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

There's also the fact that a big focus of that Avengers game is giving every character a distinctly different playstyle. Captain America fights similarly to the Arkham games, Thor's apparently reminiscent of the new God of War, Black Widow is very Devil May Cry-esque. Nobody's really 'like' anyone else, so making a comparison to version-exclusive characters in a fighting game doesn't quite hold, even if it looks like it does, because it's a lot more substantial.

I dunno about that, everyone still looks pretty identical to me. Well, okay, Thor and Captain America both look really similar, I didn't really check everyone because my internet is stuttering right now but the two of them really look the same. Thor can throw his hammer and right with his bare hands instead and fly but the combat still looks the same to me.

If you're dealing with someone who's using a shield nothing aside from throws or a charge attack breaks through that and there only seems to be the one combo or whoever was showing it off was doing an awful job at showing the combat. With what they've shown so far I'm expecting them to stick a Go Pro into Spider-Man's forearm and give everyone vertigo like it's Amazing Spider-Man all over again.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Borderlands 3 skippable cutscenes are great but the game is built around a hub, Sanctuary. It feels like a punishment to players, a testament to gently caress You. The size, the layout, the repeated back and forths, and unskippable ingame events. gently caress you sanctuary

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

HAmbONE posted:

Borderlands 3 skippable cutscenes are great but the game is built around a hub, Sanctuary. It feels like a punishment to players, a testament to gently caress You. The size, the layout, the repeated back and forths, and unskippable ingame events. gently caress you sanctuary

The fact that you STILL can't jump over the engine and have to listen to Ice T every time you try is the most annoying part because it looks SO JUMPABLE :argh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno about that, everyone still looks pretty identical to me. Well, okay, Thor and Captain America both look really similar, I didn't really check everyone because my internet is stuttering right now but the two of them really look the same. Thor can throw his hammer and right with his bare hands instead and fly but the combat still looks the same to me.

If you're dealing with someone who's using a shield nothing aside from throws or a charge attack breaks through that and there only seems to be the one combo or whoever was showing it off was doing an awful job at showing the combat. With what they've shown so far I'm expecting them to stick a Go Pro into Spider-Man's forearm and give everyone vertigo like it's Amazing Spider-Man all over again.

I tried to stick to the ones that have proper comparisons, which all look kinda similar but do in practice apparently play very different. Iron Man and Hulk are VERY different from everyone else, but not in a way that's as easy to pitch to people. Iron Man I saw described as 'Anthem But Good', and that's not a comparison that's gonna win anyone over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Avengers starts with Thanos walking and snapping, then turning towards the camera and saying "so much for spidey boy!" and wink.