Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TheAardvark posted:

So now that the first commercially available color e-reader is out, how long until we get one big enough for comics? one with two screens would be loving killer but I dunno if that'll ever be a thing

How much money do you got and how low are your expectations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
As long as you're cool with budget local-newspaper color quality, there'll be something comparable to B&W models of the same side with a $50 to $100 premium.

Onyx did Poke 2 color for $300, compared with their Poke 2 for $200. http://www.onyxbooxusa.com/onyx-boox-poke-color

It was a proof of concept as far as I know, but they used a color 100dpi layer which isn't wonderful compared to (same device) its monochrome 300dpi.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

My concern with color e-ink is not only with DPI, but also color shift. Below video shows 2 color ereaders but despite both apparently having the same screen, one has a color shift toward green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXZkLIwNHZc&t=173s

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Just got Oasis as a gift last week. It's a super sleek device, all aluminum with screen covered with glass. The text is nice and crisp, can't notice any unevenness in backlight. All in all a nice upgrade compared to my Kindle Touch. I wish a company like PocketBook made something on par with this because I would prefer an open device but their PocketBook X which cost almost double of this Oasis was so shoddy I had to return in before the fortnight trial period was over. Also they should have a serious talk with whomever thought animations of any kind on e-Ink are a good idea. The first time I've seen the carousel animation to flip through you library I couldn't stop thinking: what the hell?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hey, so last time I got a Kindle, it was a Voyager. I've since upgraded to the 9th gen Oasis. When it comes to reading comics and/or manga, are Kindles still seen as "okay" devices? If I remember right, on my Paperwhite, it was clunky and all together just not worth it. Is this the same story now?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hey, so last time I got a Kindle, it was a Voyager. I've since upgraded to the 9th gen Oasis. When it comes to reading comics and/or manga, are Kindles still seen as "okay" devices? If I remember right, on my Paperwhite, it was clunky and all together just not worth it. Is this the same story now?

Merely OK with manga. 7" is not bad but for some reason there's black borders on the top and bottom in some books and its not something that's in the book itself but apparently some sort of side effect on Kindle rendering (not my picture, but explains what I'm talking about). I could confirm it's definitely not the actual media as I got curious as to why it happened and de-drmed one of my purchases and extracted the images and those borders are 100% not there. It's frustrating. Also if it's an older release, it'll most likely not have flags to have the landscape shift for page spreads.

I stay on the Kobo Forma for manga mostly now as they appear as they should, have an extra inch in screen real estate and the accelerometer is handy to switch to landscape for page spreads.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

My concern with color e-ink is not only with DPI, but also color shift. Below video shows 2 color ereaders but despite both apparently having the same screen, one has a color shift toward green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXZkLIwNHZc&t=173s
First time I'm looking at either of these, but they seem to be different manufacturers with different software so it's not necessarily surprising that they look slightly differently. Is this really a serious problem? Nobody's doing photo editing on them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

First time I'm looking at either of these, but they seem to be different manufacturers with different software so it's not necessarily surprising that they look slightly differently. Is this really a serious problem? Nobody's doing photo editing on them.

I only bring it up because others might see it a such. If it doesn't affect you, go nuts.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's still pretty damned early in this technology. Is there any reason to think it won't be vastly improved upon before Amazon and the like pick it up? I was reading some reddit posts on the Kindle subreddit from as little as 2-3 years ago where the consensus was we wouldn't have any kind of color E-INK available commercially in the next decade. Not that those people mean anything, but doesn't seem like there's any kind of general knowledge of how it's going to evolve.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't seen these IRL, but it's they look pretty good already for what they're supposed to be, I'm not sure something can get massively better soon. I have this black/red screen and it's already very vibrant and contrasty under good lighting. And compared to this one, they're already massively faster too.

https://i.imgur.com/3JQ91FK.mp4

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I only bring it up because others might see it a such. If it doesn't affect you, go nuts.
Nah thanks for pointing it out :) Just seemed an extremely minor difference but maybe it's more pronounced in person.

By the way, is there any way to disable or change the "screensaver" on the current paperwhite? It's pretty annoying that it deliberately hides the page you were reading even though the display could stay fixed forever.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I'm considering getting either a Kobo Clara HD or a Kobo Libra H2O. The thing that's stopping me from my making my decision is how each one feels to operate/turn pages on.

I've got a Kindle Keyboard which has physical page-turn buttons, which feels great. If it had a proper light I'd probably just keep using that, but I'd really like to be able to read in the dark.

Does anyone own either of the aforementioned Kobo devices? If so, how do they feel to turn pages with? How annoying is it to turn pages using a touchscreen vs. buttons, etc.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

neurotech posted:

I'm considering getting either a Kobo Clara HD or a Kobo Libra H2O. The thing that's stopping me from my making my decision is how each one feels to operate/turn pages on.

I've got a Kindle Keyboard which has physical page-turn buttons, which feels great. If it had a proper light I'd probably just keep using that, but I'd really like to be able to read in the dark.

Does anyone own either of the aforementioned Kobo devices? If so, how do they feel to turn pages with? How annoying is it to turn pages using a touchscreen vs. buttons, etc.

I have a libra but have zero other experience other than the old first gen kindles

Feels fine. The integrated buttons are easier for me i just tap a button and it turns.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

neurotech posted:

I just got a Clara and I've had basically every generation of Kindle to this point, most recently the Paperwhite.

It's not as satisfying, not going to lie. I still haven't totally deprogrammed myself from the Paperwhite either. That didn't have physical buttons either, but you could tap the center of the screen to progress a page or swipe. With the Clara, you can swipe or tap... but you have to tap the side of the page to turn. To the left to go back and the right to go forward. Tapping the center brings up the menu overlay. It's a little thing, but my brain hasn't adjusted yet.

That said, the backlight on the Clara is really nice. I don't know how much I buy the science of blue light keeping people awake, but I like that it adjusts the color to a more pleasant yellow shade close to bed time.

Elsje
Nov 5, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I just got a Clara and I've had basically every generation of Kindle to this point, most recently the Paperwhite.

It's not as satisfying, not going to lie. I still haven't totally deprogrammed myself from the Paperwhite either. That didn't have physical buttons either, but you could tap the center of the screen to progress a page or swipe. With the Clara, you can swipe or tap... but you have to tap the side of the page to turn. To the left to go back and the right to go forward. Tapping the center brings up the menu overlay. It's a little thing, but my brain hasn't adjusted yet.

That said, the backlight on the Clara is really nice. I don't know how much I buy the science of blue light keeping people awake, but I like that it adjusts the color to a more pleasant yellow shade close to bed time.

You can change the tapping area in the 'reading settings'.

I used to have a Kobo Aura One, but after it broke I bought a Kobo Libra H2O and it's fantastic. I use the buttons exclusively to change pages. It feels so much better than tapping the screen. The screen stays much cleaner, too. The only thing I miss from the Aura One is the screen size.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Elsje posted:

I used to have a Kobo Aura One, but after it broke I bought a Kobo Libra H2O and it's fantastic. I use the buttons exclusively to change pages. It feels so much better than tapping the screen. The screen stays much cleaner, too. The only thing I miss from the Aura One is the screen size.

That's why the Forma exists.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Elsje posted:

Bless you.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
The battery in my first generation Kindle Paperwhite is starting to go. Even in airplane mode with the backlight off, I have to plug it in every other day.

I'm looking at getting a replacement and I've had my eyes on the Oasis. I know it has a feature similar to flux on a desktop where it can add an amber tint to the backlight? Does this work well?

The main reason I want the Oasis is for the physical buttons, but it is a lot more expensive for not a whole lot of extra on offer.

Also I saw that the Oasis is still using a micro USB port in 2020. Do you think they will release a new model anytime soon with USB C?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

64bit_Dophins posted:

The battery in my first generation Kindle Paperwhite is starting to go. Even in airplane mode with the backlight off, I have to plug it in every other day.

I'm looking at getting a replacement and I've had my eyes on the Oasis. I know it has a feature similar to flux on a desktop where it can add an amber tint to the backlight? Does this work well?

The main reason I want the Oasis is for the physical buttons, but it is a lot more expensive for not a whole lot of extra on offer.

Also I saw that the Oasis is still using a micro USB port in 2020. Do you think they will release a new model anytime soon with USB C?

I have the latest oasis with the flux thing and I think it works very well. No issues falling asleep. A little latency when you first turn on before it goes from 5000K to 1700 or whatever.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Thanks all. I think I'll go with the Kobo Libra H2O.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Hed posted:

I have the latest oasis with the flux thing and I think it works very well. No issues falling asleep. A little latency when you first turn on before it goes from 5000K to 1700 or whatever.

Nice sounds good to me. I'm going to give it another month before I make the purchase. It's pretty low on my list of priorities at the moment and for the time being I can plug my kindle in every other day it really isn't that much of a pain.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

64bit_Dophins posted:

Nice sounds good to me. I'm going to give it another month before I make the purchase. It's pretty low on my list of priorities at the moment and for the time being I can plug my kindle in every other day it really isn't that much of a pain.

Leaving aside all the stuff about whether warm light is better at bedtime or whatever, the yellow is just more pleasant to look at in general. I leave the backlight on with the yellow tint all the way up even if I'm reading in a well-lit room just because it takes some of the edge off the grayness of the eink screen.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

RichterIX posted:

Leaving aside all the stuff about whether warm light is better at bedtime or whatever, the yellow is just more pleasant to look at in general. I leave the backlight on with the yellow tint all the way up even if I'm reading in a well-lit room just because it takes some of the edge off the grayness of the eink screen.

Yeah, I think it looks a lot closer to real paper than the sort of blue-white lighting of the Paperwhite.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I've fallen asleep to my Paperwhite hundreds of times, so the cold light obviously isn't an issue BUT the Oasis light is lovely. You can make it look a lot more like actual paper and, combined with the larger, flush, high res screen, it feels REALLY nice to read on.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

partner and i thinking of getting our very first ereaders! are we correct in thinking the paperwhite is the "safe" choice to make? latest model, waterproofing in case of spills. any caveats we need to know about?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Artelier posted:

partner and i thinking of getting our very first ereaders! are we correct in thinking the paperwhite is the "safe" choice to make? latest model, waterproofing in case of spills. any caveats we need to know about?

The newest paperwhite is pretty much goon-proof. I've had my first-gen for years by now, with the official cover and it's still fine, though with somewhat diminished battery capacity.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The new paperwhite with the flush screen is essential if only for its ability to not collect cat hair in the bezel

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the responses! We have (the best) cat so not collecting cat hair is a huge unforeseen bonus!

Where do y'all get your books? Kindle unaltered prices aren't too kind to South East Asia..

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
So I stupidly managed to break the screen on my Glo HD.

The choices are

Clara HD for £110
Paperwhite for £130 (without ads)
Libre H2O for £150

I side load so the stores don't matter and I much prefer the 300dpi screens but the choices are hard. For a little bit more than the Clara I can get waterproof bit a little more than the paperwhite o can get a 7inch screen.

But then I am spending 40% more than I started out with.

Are the 7inch screens worth it?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I think so but I've seen plenty of people that went from Paperwhite to Oasis and regretted it because it was too big. I was a bit apprehensive going from Voyage to Oasis for that reason but I have zero regrets.

Oh rumor is the new Paperwhites will have warm lighting though, I don't know if that matters to you or not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I definitely returned the Oasis I got and stayed with my Voyage, because, yeah, it was too big for my preference. I eventually got a Paperwhite to replace that.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I don't like the oasis's one handed design at all. I've had mine for a year and a half, and it works, but if they ever release a new voyage I'm going back immediately.

I must switch hands a lot more than the average Kindle reader because I get frustrated by it on a daily basis.

The "no longer fits in my back pocket" problem is also very annoying.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

TheAardvark posted:

I don't like the oasis's one handed design at all. I've had mine for a year and a half, and it works, but if they ever release a new voyage I'm going back immediately.

I must switch hands a lot more than the average Kindle reader because I get frustrated by it on a daily basis.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I love the form factor of the Oasis and I actually find it easier to use flipped than others just because it has such a large handhold on the side. However, if they marketed "Kindle Oasis but the battery lasts as long as the Paperwhite" I would trade it in in a heartbeat.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Paperwhite is pretty drat near the perfect size for an eReader for most people. I guess they could fit a slightly larger display in the same form factor if they really wanted to? Not sure it would matter much though.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I had my eye on the Oasis because it looks cool and is waterproof (unlike my current paperwhite), and the variable CT, but the dealbreaker is I can't find an equivalent of the most perfect Kindle sleeve ever created. It's fluffy on the inside! It's got no dangly zips! Its concave sides gently hug the Kindle so it doesn't slide out!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Bobstar posted:

I had my eye on the Oasis because it looks cool and is waterproof (unlike my current paperwhite), and the variable CT, but the dealbreaker is I can't find an equivalent of the most perfect Kindle sleeve ever created. It's fluffy on the inside! It's got no dangly zips! Its concave sides gently hug the Kindle so it doesn't slide out!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timbuk2-...GIAAOSwk-1aK-UE

I've had a similar plush case for nearly 10 years which has done my Kindle 3, Paperwhite and Voyage. I like to read my Kindle naked :airquote:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I like to read my Kindle naked :airquote:

Narrator: They never let WattsvilleBlues into the library again.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

TheAardvark posted:

I switch hands pretty often and I find the auto adjust to work pretty well. It's not as fast as turning a page but it's not much slower.

I will say though an asymmetrical design but only as wide as the Paperwhite (or even a little less) would be perfect. I can fit the Oasis in the front pocket of most of my shorts but not my jeans like I could with the Voyage.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
They're working on a Paperwhite with the warm light thing, I just hope they don't neuter the battery life too much like the Oasis. A friend of mine has one and he says even with the airplane mode on hes lucky to get a week of reading 1-2 hours a day. My old Paperwhite used to go a solid month between charges.

An awesome goon sent me a Voyage that I'm using right now and its fantastic, I hope they refresh the line up one day.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Gunslinger posted:

They're working on a Paperwhite with the warm light thing, I just hope they don't neuter the battery life too much like the Oasis. A friend of mine has one and he says even with the airplane mode on hes lucky to get a week of reading 1-2 hours a day. My old Paperwhite used to go a solid month between charges.

An awesome goon sent me a Voyage that I'm using right now and its fantastic, I hope they refresh the line up one day.

Ooh that's what I want. Warm white and waterproof, in that form factor. Sold.

I'm still impressed with a noticeably better battery life than phones/tablets/watches (probably Apple device Stockholm syndrome), but yeah longer the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The battery life on my oasis kinda sucks but I'm to blame cause I dropped a metric shitton of ebooks on there and it has to index all those fuckers repeatedly if something changes. That being said, I'd love a warm white option for reading as well.