Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh wow, I had no idea it was going to game pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They say Ck3 expansions will be $30 and bigger than the ones they've been doing since CK2, so presumably there'll be bigger gaps between them as well.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

When they say they're increasing the price of the expansions because they want to do bigger and better expansions, you should take the "because" part with a large grain of sea salt.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There was an unusually larger gap between the second to last DLC and Holy Fury, the last DLC. It was over a year, and it very much did contain more content than any other DLC.

But yeah, don't take them at their word for that particular issue. We'll just have to see how much we will get with each of the DLCs.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

HF was also their most successful DLC, I think (possibly after Old Gods?), and the previous expansion, Reaper's Due, was almost as large and also one of the most successful. So, it may be that they want to follow that model over putting out a chain of little DLCs.

I would be surprised if there wasn't an early DLC focusing on the Byzantine Empire. Even after ten years of reworks in CK2 it's still basically a standard feudal state with some weird succession rules, and I think they've said it barely has any special stuff at all in CK3 so far.

megane fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 16, 2020

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

megane posted:

HF was also their most successful DLC, I think (possibly after Old Gods?), and the previous expansion, Reaper's Due, was almost as large and also one of the most successful. So, it may be that they want to follow that model over putting out a chain of little DLCs.

I would be surprised if there wasn't an early DLC focusing on the Byzantine Empire. Even after ten years of reworks in CK2 it's still basically a standard feudal state with some weird succession rules, and I think they've said it barely has any special stuff at all in CK3 so far.

I am 100% positive this will be the first CK3 expansion.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I have over a thousand hours of ck2 and all the content dlcs and I've still made basically zero use of the rajas of India and sons of Abraham dlcs, and barely used a bunch more, so most of the dlc is pretty unnecessary to a new player. I think base game + conclave + way of life is plenty for several hundred hours of pretty updated content, then the other dlcs are there to dip into other religions and time periods.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I really hope they revamp educating your child. I never did figure out how you were supposed to pick an educator and mostly used the same couple paths for everyone.

Pride for my heir, struggle if I needed commanders and thrift for everyone else.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Demon_Corsair posted:

I really hope they revamp educating your child. I never did figure out how you were supposed to pick an educator and mostly used the same couple paths for everyone.

Pride for my heir, struggle if I needed commanders and thrift for everyone else.

There’s good ways to ensure success but after a while you start seeing patterns wherein stuff like Thrift is preferable 90% of the time and certain focuses, like Humility, should basically never be taken unless you outright want to ruin the child.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If we get a DLC that adds China and they don't gently caress it up I will be happy, also a Byzantine government system that isn't poo poo or wildly ahistorical

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean their system was so poo poo that the word Byzantines has become synonymous with needlessly complicated.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Coolguye posted:

There’s good ways to ensure success but after a while you start seeing patterns wherein stuff like Thrift is preferable 90% of the time and certain focuses, like Humility, should basically never be taken unless you outright want to ruin the child.

On the other hand, sometimes you want to ruin the child because you've put yourself into a position to screw over educate a competitor's child. :eng101:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Pride is usually bad, actually. The two child traits it gives are Haughty (which makes them worse at a Stewardship education, improves no educations, and turns into mostly bad traits) and Brooding (which helps a Stewardship education, hinders a Learning one, and... also turns into mostly bad traits). Duty and Thrift are the overall best ones. There's a big table of what all the child traits do here.

Picking an educator, on the other hand, is fairly straightforward. You want two things: first, the educator's own education (not the stat, the education trait) should be of the same type as the kid is studying, and as high a tier as possible, and secondly, try and pick an educator who has the "educator intervention traits" in that table that correspond to whatever traits the kid picked up. Assuming you want the kid to pick up those traits, that is. I usually just invite somebody to court to tutor my heir.

Honestly what I do is give them a childhood focus basically at random (or based on whatever their highest stat is at age 6) and then just set the education and tutor based on whatever comes out.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Regarding post-launch content:

quote:

Question 7: What kind of content can we expect post-launch?
Our DLCs will be split between Flavor Packs and Major Expansions.
- Flavor Packs - SRP $6.99: in-game content focused on a theme or a region.
- Major Expansions - SRP $29.99: larger, meatier expansions with content and mechanics to expand and enrich your experience.
- Free Updates: As usual, each Major Expansion will be accompanied by a free update that will provide new features, fixes and changes to improve our players’ experience.

If you are familiar with Paradox Development Studio games, you surely have realized that we will start with a Major Expansion for CK3 at a slightly higher price point than those of our previous titles. This is due to the fact that we want to spend more time on our CK3 expansions and deliver bigger DLCs with better, more exciting content and well-enhanced mechanics.

From this, I'd expect these flavor packs to drop frequently (2 packs a year) with one yearly major expansion.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ham posted:

Regarding post-launch content:

From this, I'd expect these flavor packs to drop frequently (3 packs a year) with one yearly major expansion.

Sounds similar to the Stellaris model which was Game release>story pack>expansion>story pack>expansion>etc. with the expansions having most of their gameplay overhauls as part of a free update with special content reserved for the paid expansion

Stellaris community has been pretty happy with it so far even if specific updates are occasionally unpopular, it would make sense that Paradox would want to replicate it elsewhere

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I do think Stellaris has the best DLC model going at Paradox right now, so I hope they do indeed follow that. Add the new systems to the base game and have DLC expand on them so that they can be well integrated over the course of the game. You then sometimes even get bonus DLC value down the line where an expansion you purchased previously gets some unique content added in a new expansion because the systems can all talk to eachother.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
We have learned a lot from Stellaris. That doesn't mean the models will be exactly the same, but there's some cross-pollination at the dev team level (notably myself and a tech lead being Stellaris transplants) and I'm excited for CK3's post-release future.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

AnEdgelord posted:

Sounds similar to the Stellaris model which was Game release>story pack>expansion>story pack>expansion>etc. with the expansions having most of their gameplay overhauls as part of a free update with special content reserved for the paid expansion

Stellaris community has been pretty happy with it so far even if specific updates are occasionally unpopular, it would make sense that Paradox would want to replicate it elsewhere

That's probably the order they go for but I'm wondering about the cadence. Stellaris actually had fairly long dev times for pretty much everything, with any one year costing you at most $38 if you got all the content on release. If we assume two flavor packs and one expansion per year for CK3, that puts it at $44 per year. Of course, the team sizes working on those games are probably very different, and it may as well be that there's more people putting time on CK3's (presumably) yearly major expansions, but it'll be a tough pill to swallow for the fanbase. Who knows, maybe it'll be 16-18 month dev times afterall?

Anno
May 10, 2017

LordMune posted:

We have learned a lot from Stellaris.

Nice, that's good to hear. That's kind of what I was hoping when it looked like Imperator had a similar first paid content pack, but I wasn't sure if that wasn't just because of that game's isolated issues.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of CK3, how come I can't pre-order it? I thought I was able to the other week - and on the Steam search screen I can see that it's $70AUD. :confused: Hmm, maybe I just imagined that I was able to pre-order it earlier, and it'll become available in the next week or so...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of CK3, how come I can't pre-order it? I thought I was able to the other week - and on the Steam search screen I can see that it's $70AUD. :confused: Hmm, maybe I just imagined that I was able to pre-order it earlier, and it'll become available in the next week or so...

I mean, I hope it's preorderable because I have it preordered.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I mean, I hope it's preorderable because I have it preordered.

On Steam? Weird. Since all I get is "This game is not yet available on Steam. We'll notify you when it is available". I'm SURE it was purchasable a while back, though. Ah well, I'll just have to keep an eye out

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Major Isoor posted:

On Steam? Weird. Since all I get is "This game is not yet available on Steam. We'll notify you when it is available". I'm SURE it was purchasable a while back, though. Ah well, I'll just have to keep an eye out

It should still be purchasable unless some weird regional restriction is affecting it: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158310/Crusader_Kings_III/

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ham posted:

It should still be purchasable unless some weird regional restriction is affecting it: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158310/Crusader_Kings_III/

Yep, looks like it. Here is a PP thread confirming that it was available here before, but not anymore. :( Hopefully it's fixed soon, so I can get some fancy HRE clothes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Major Isoor posted:

Yep, looks like it. Here is a PP thread confirming that it was available here before, but not anymore. :( Hopefully it's fixed soon, so I can get some fancy HRE clothes.

Out of curiosity is it available on the Paradox store? https://www.paradoxplaza.com/crusader-kings-iii/CKCK03GSK0000001-MASTER.html

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yep, seems to be purchasable. If anyone knows, do you get a Steam key straight away, or only on release?
(Since I mean, unless they have a separate pool of keys for preorders, there's not much point preordering if I'm only going to be able to redeem it post-release and miss out on bonuses :v:)

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

ZombieLenin posted:

I am 100% positive this will be the first CK3 expansion.

In Imperator, they gave Byzantion province ID #1453. Too soon, Paradox, too soon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anno
May 10, 2017

Major Isoor posted:

unless they have a separate pool of keys for preorders)

Pretty sure this is how it works. Like that page even says that it includes the HRE hats.

But obviously you could just wait and see if it’s sorted out on Steam.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Supposedly even Hellenic is in and playable at launch, but if it's not I just hope it comes back soon so I can properly restore the Roman empire. :colbert: :hist101:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I prepurchased CK3 on Steam like 2 hours ago. :shrug:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Eimi posted:

Supposedly even Hellenic is in and playable at launch, but if it's not I just hope it comes back soon so I can properly restore the Roman empire. :colbert: :hist101:

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about their implementation of religion. It seems like a very flexible base to build on in the future (both with official DLC and mods).

I'm not sure if CKIII will be a great game or not on release. I'm quite sure many of the numbers will be hilariously imbalanced, and that the AI will be as quirky as you'd expect from any strategy game... but at the same time, all of the major game design changes they've made from CKII seem very deliberate and well-considered. There isn't really anything that I've seen so far where I've thought "why the hell would you do that?".

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Is there any sort of PG-13 patch? Would like to try and use CK2 as a teaching tool with a group of high-flying HS students now that it's F2P and we are doing distance education, but would like to sweep the seduction/sadistic violence stuff off the table.

Alternatively, if there is anyone who'd be willing to code one for me, give me an idea of how long it might take and what you'd be looking to charge.

:patriot:

Not dissing you, but just the attitude of some parents, especially in America. Good on you for going for a more interesting teaching tool than the ol' textbook.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

orangelex44 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about their implementation of religion. It seems like a very flexible base to build on in the future (both with official DLC and mods).

I'm not sure if CKIII will be a great game or not on release. I'm quite sure many of the numbers will be hilariously imbalanced, and that the AI will be as quirky as you'd expect from any strategy game... but at the same time, all of the major game design changes they've made from CKII seem very deliberate and well-considered. There isn't really anything that I've seen so far where I've thought "why the hell would you do that?".

Yeah like, I view the CK2 as little more than a punching bag in terms of difficulty as is, so as long as the roleplaying aspects are evocative on my end I will be happy.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Best Friends posted:

I have over a thousand hours of ck2 and all the content dlcs and I've still made basically zero use of the rajas of India and sons of Abraham dlcs, and barely used a bunch more, so most of the dlc is pretty unnecessary to a new player. I think base game + conclave + way of life is plenty for several hundred hours of pretty updated content, then the other dlcs are there to dip into other religions and time periods.

You've probably used the dlc without realizing it. Things like culture and religious conversion is from RoI, and borrowing money from the jews is in SoA. SoA also has all the religious relic stuff too, so if you've ever looted a relic while pillaging that was because of SoA.

If you're not playing an Indian or Abrahamic religion it may not be obvious, but there are still a bunch of events/decisions that are because of the DLC.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
I'm ready for some streamers previews now, please

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Ogdred Weary posted:

I'm ready for some streamers previews now, please

Something tells me those should come soon. Starting videos just one week before release is too late, isn't it? So it's probably 2 weeks. Was it 2 weeks for Imperator Rome? And from what I understand gold version is ready for some time, they work on the first patch right now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Azuren posted:

In Imperator, they gave Byzantion province ID #1453. Too soon, Paradox, too soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXZMIC-Z-XA intensifies

Anno
May 10, 2017

A new Introducing CK3 video - Money

The guy who’s done the last few said that the next one will be his last, though it’s unclear if that’s the last of the series or if it’ll just go on to someone else.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

Anno posted:

A new Introducing CK3 video - Money

The guy who’s done the last few said that the next one will be his last, though it’s unclear if that’s the last of the series or if it’ll just go on to someone else.

These videos got me over my imperator-induced dread for this game, nicely produced and makes the 1.0 game look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea very excited for CK3. I mean I'm a mark who preordered the fancy version already because it literally comes out on my birthday and all but still, glad it seems like they're making a solid foundation.