Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
My mum would have TNG on at dinner time so I would half-pay attention to it when it was on, however I remember ‘Disaster’ really getting my interest - I will always know that episode as the one that made me a Trek fan.

It all kinda fell apart from there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sponges posted:

I’m get into Trek as a fully grown adult :dance:

Hadn't you better rethink that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFrdqQZ8FFc&t=118s

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
"Family" does a really good job with the unenviable task of dealing with the fallout from "The Best of Both Worlds" and getting Picard back to normal since we can't have season-spanning arcs in Star Trek yet. It has an A, B and C plot, yet Picards arc does not feel rushed.

The little British sounding kid is annoying, but Picards brother, Robert, is wonderfully surly. Patrick Stewart is very convincing in portraying how tortured and at sea Picard feels, and the scene where he breaks down is heart wrenching. I love how resolute he is at the end of the episode, that confidence is the core of the character, much more than his fancy speeches, to me at least.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

For the Trekker who has everything, here's the entirety of TOS on MOTHERFUCKING BETAMAX.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Everything including a Betamax player.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

thotsky posted:

"Family" does a really good job with the unenviable task of dealing with the fallout from "The Best of Both Worlds" and getting Picard back to normal since we can't have season-spanning arcs in Star Trek yet. It has an A, B and C plot, yet Picards arc does not feel rushed.

The little British sounding kid is annoying, but Picards brother, Robert, is wonderfully surly. Patrick Stewart is very convincing in portraying how tortured and at sea Picard feels, and the scene where he breaks down is heart wrenching. I love how resolute he is at the end of the episode, that confidence is the core of the character, much more than his fancy speeches, to me at least.

I think Family is probably in my TNG Top 5. I love the way it humanizes Picard and I like that he’s genuinely tempted by the idea of just giving everything up and staying on Earth to hide from his trauma.

The Worf b-story is really sweet too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

"Family" is a super underrated TNG episode.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I can't recall not watching Star Trek. i remember catching glimpses of TOS on syndication at times but I know I started on TNG, but I can't recall how far back I started watching.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

thotsky posted:

IMHO, you are correct, and this is showcased very well in Tapestry. He basically himself says he was young, dumb, and brash and not much else I think lol.

TBH, as I've aged, that part of Jean-Luc has always resonated with me, as somebody that can sadly relate a little too much with your own gall leading you to get stabbed in the heart and having nothing else to do but laugh at it.

I guess I'm really glad that Picard decided his mistakes were worth it in the end

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've always been around "Star Trek." My parents both watched TOS reruns, and Mom watched TNG. I very clearly remember the Primordial Goo scene in "All Good Things" freaking me out for some reason as a six-year-old.

I didn't really get into Trek til 2007, when I had some extra cash one summer and just decided to buy TOS on DVD. I worked all the time at that point, and only had about an hour of free time a day, and that would be eating dinner and watching TOS.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Statutory Ape posted:

IMHO, you are correct, and this is showcased very well in Tapestry. He basically himself says he was young, dumb, and brash and not much else I think lol.

TBH, as I've aged, that part of Jean-Luc has always resonated with me, as somebody that can sadly relate a little too much with your own gall leading you to get stabbed in the heart and having nothing else to do but laugh at it.

I guess I'm really glad that Picard decided his mistakes were worth it in the end

Yep, I was thinking of that episode too. The whole "That's not who I am!" showcases the same self-confidence and self-image.

It is great how Robert needles Picard about his humility. I think only Q, and maaaybe Troy had come close to picking up on that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd never seen any Star Trek until... year 7 or so? I remember one was on TV that I watched (Generations, I think), and then the next week we happened to have a school excursion to scienceworks (sci and tech museum in Melbourne) and one of the travelling exhibits visiting at the time was a Star Trek props and things exhibit, and one of the other kids was very into it and went on a lot about it and then I checked it out more. I had limited access to the TV show but I remember I read just about every Trek book in the local library.

I remember when going to scienceworks and seeing the displays of all the enterprises that they were really... fascinating, they weren't like any regular sci-fi design, they looked so strange and cool.

I was late to TV/movie sci-fi, I'd also never seen Star Wars until I was in like Year 9. I was devouring other sci-fi books years before I got into Trek, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 17, 2020

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MikeJF posted:

I'd never seen any Star Trek until... year 7 or so? I remember one was on TV that I watched (Generations, I think), and then the next week we happened to have a school excursion to scienceworks (sci and tech museum in Melbourne) and one of the travelling exhibits visiting at the time was a Star Trek props and things exhibit, and one of the other kids was very into it and went on a lot about it and then I checked it out more.

I remember when going to scienceworks and seeing the displays of all the enterprises that they were really... fascinating, they weren't like any regular sci-fi design, they looked so strange and cool.

my parents gave me the star trek generations enterprise model that had panels that could pop off because they thought it was a star wars and i didnt even understand

my first contact with star trek proper was first contact because it had cool cover in rental store and the place had a deal of 5 movies, 5 days, 5 bucks so I grabbed all of the TNG films and woops

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MikeJF posted:

At the end of season 2 Seaquest II is kidnapped by aliens and goes to fight an alien war on another planet and helps the rebels win and then blows up to save the alien world but then they got a surprise third season so it turns out it didn't blow up and it teleports back to earth ten years in the future when there's a new evil fascist empire taking over the world and is requisitioned by the military and given lots of guns and lasers and underwater fighter planes and a new captain to lead it in the war in season 3.

what

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

sure hope you're adding "that's loving awesome" to the end of that

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCo93oVMvuo

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OK so there is a predator subplot in both Seaquest and Sealab, I guess that adds up

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think we can all agree that Pod 6 are jerks

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

TNG's The Defector (S3,ep10) is my jam, a great example of what type of Star Trek I like: plot driven, puzzle/strategy.

The ones centering on morality and ethics I tend to like less. Too much pop psychology and liberal platitudes.

Also as a new viewer I gotta say I like Geordi best. Just a solid guy trying his best. That actor sells it in every scene he's in, no matter how silly the set piece or situation is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sitting here on Monday morning trying not to do a spit take with my coffee when someone refers to LeVar Burton as "that actor."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

bull3964 posted:

Sitting here on Monday morning trying not to do a spit take with my coffee when someone refers to LeVar Burton as "that actor."

:same:

Did that kickstarted Reading Rainbow reboot ever happen?

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost
One of my favorite memories is going to the movie theater as a family, which was super rare for most of my childhood, where I think we were meant to see An American Tale. The show was sold out, so my father (who regularly watched Trek on TV and had gotten my older sisters into it) convinced my mother to call an audible and watch The Voyage Home.

It turned into Star Trek being literally the only show I could occasionally stay up late to watch. Remember when the big networks used to make a huge production out of broadcasting a movie? We had taped Wrath of Khan, which I watched so much during summer break I could quote the entire movie. The only other movie I came remotely close to memorizing was Ghostbusters.

When TNG came out, we would watch it as a family after dinner. By this point I was reading the books. My sisters, who had quite a collection of books, hugely enjoyed Diane Carey’s Lt. Piper books; I really preferred How Much for Just the Planet?

I stopped watching partway through DS9’s airing, maybe season two or so, and watched the premiere of Voyager and tuned right out. I would catch an episode of one show or the other now and then, but didn’t really get back into it until I was home on leave and my father took me to see the 2009 movie. My mother begged out - turns out she’d never been interested. She is a saint.

Drone posted:

They topped $6 million, but got hemmed up in lawsuits. The app that was the purpose of the Kickstarter couldn’t use the Reading Rainbow brand, but it did get made (and initially released as Reading Rainbow). Now it’s called “Skybrary” - it’s still a great app for getting kids into reading and still has some digital episodes baked into it, but the name sucks.

Edited to add that the LeVar was also sued for ownership of the phrase “...but you don’t have to take my word for it.”

destitute fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 17, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Drone posted:

No, apparently Levar Burton didn't actually own the rights to Reading Rainbow, and the television station that actually owns the rights successfully sued them to cancel the project. The station's website claims they are going to revive it, but it looks like that isn't happening.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drone posted:

Ended up in a lawsuit and Levar is no longer involved with RR. His podcast Levar Burton Reads is a good listen though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Drone posted:

I don't think the kickstarter was ever intended to produce a new TV show - it's now an app that gives kids a virtual backpack with ebooks and such.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i hesitate to imagine a TNG without my buddy mr la forge

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

bull3964 posted:

Eh if you're not American you're not likely to be familiar with him except as Geordi

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Levar Burton was actually the “big name” cast member when TNG premiered, at least to US audiences. As a small kid I was very confused why the guy from Reading Rainbow was wearing a headband over his eyes.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Voyage Home's video release had a trailer/preview for TNG before it, and oh god was it cringe when it was introducing each character.

"Picard, a french man who is bald! Riker, a brash white dude! Georgi LaForge, a blind man who pilots the ship (and is black)! Wesley Crusher... uh a kid! Tasha Yar, she's got spirit!"

edit - Actually it's way not as bad as I remember, probably because my years of hatred of Rick Berman has tempered my memories. But only clips from Farpoint Station... oh boy. Maybe they should have added clips from Code of Honor toooooo!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Finished up a run on the entirety of Enterprise and to be honest, I'm kinda shocked this show isn't more popular. It's amazing what a bad theme song will do to an audience.

Good points:

1. Overall great thematically in terms of an overarching story on how the federation was established in its early years.
2. The show makes the galaxy seem hostile and very dangerous. Enterprise is frequently outgunned wherever it goes and there aren't any starbases nearby or any help whenever they get into a jam.
3. Most of the acting is pretty top notch despite there being a lack of character development for most of the cast. The cast with the exception of Bakula really hit their parts consistently well.
4. Great production value all around. This is easily the best looking trek show both in stage craft and special effects.
5. I thought the Xindi storyline was really good as it stuck to its guns of what the overall theme was: for humanity to survive it must form alliances and make friends and avoid war.

Low points:
1. Bakula's archer is just... not good. He's all over the map emotionally with no consistency to the character. He comes across as a hot headed dickwad who would likely cause any crew member to hate working under him.
2. The hamfisted attempts to 'sex up' the show. The decontamination gel concept was cringe.
3. Lack of character development for most of the cast. Even TNG era trek gave their diverse cast more to do than this show and it's really sad that character development was limited to 3 members (all white) while the rest at best get some portion of an episode dedicated to them.
4. Adding in teleportation tech at this point in time was clearly just laziness of the writers.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*Hears someone talking about Enterprise and phases in through the wall*

I actually enjoyed Archer as a character for pretty much the reason you listed - he absolutely should not be in command. He got the job through nepotism, is hot-headed and brash, but also simultaneously naive and just...kinda dumb. Honestly, he’s pretty realistic in terms of a non-enlightened human being in charge of Earth’s first deep space vessel.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i liked enterprise

i dont hate the theme song although i was pretty bummed we didnt get a cool orchestral one

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

HD DAD posted:

He got the job through nepotism, is hot-headed and brash, but also simultaneously naive and just...kinda dumb.

And then he gets elected President

Makes ya think

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

And then he gets elected President

Makes ya think

Probably not as bad as the Federation President who conducted illicit arms deals and orchestrated a coup to cover that up, as well as not helping the Andorians with their genetic degradation because reasons, or the President following him who covered up the fact her Predecessor was assassinated right after retiring because :moreevil: Section 31.

Granted those are both in novels.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Archer is just a terrible character for a lead

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Archer is an oblivious rear end in a position of power, which is not innately a bad idea for a character or even a lead character but a terrible idea for a Trek show in particular. They either should have given him a brain or made him the snotty admiral who the protagonists always ignore

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Archer is an oblivious rear end in a position of power, which is not innately a bad idea for a character or even a lead character but a terrible idea for a Trek show in particular. They either should have given him a brain or made him the snotty admiral who the protagonists always ignore

Also would've helped if they gave him some character development where he stopped being an oblivious rear end but that didn't really happen and by the time it was starting to happen it was already too late.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Not sure which was first, but it came from one of two places: either being a latchkey kid in the summers and staying in my room watching the Sci-Fi Channel all day every day while I made stuff, or sleepovers at friends houses whose sole over-the-air channel was Fox which seemed to play nothing but syndicated Trek all night.

e: Found the '99 schedule for the Sci-Fi Channel. Oh the nostalgia :allears:

I remember going on a father-son campout for Cub Scouts and while all the other kids and their dads were in flimsy tents getting rained on my dad and I were in our '73 Riviera watching the original broadcast of "Q-Who?" on a portable TV plugged into the cigarette lighter. :smug:

One of my earliest memories is watching the CBS TOS marathon over the summer of 1987 before the premiere of TNG, seeing the commercials for it and being SUPER EXCITED for this strange new thing coming out.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

Also would've helped if they gave him some character development where he stopped being an oblivious rear end but that didn't really happen and by the time it was starting to happen it was already too late.

It's this. "arrogant asshat who thinks humans are always in the right" is an extremely reasonable character for a show about humanity's first foray into long-range spaceflight, but you can't have the guy go through zero character growth until suddenly he's responsible for the creation of the big "we are all equals" organization at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The thing with Archer is that it's pretty obvious he wasn't meant to be an incompetent, pig-headed rear end in a top hat, at least in the eyes of his creators (Berman and Braga). The intent was more on the lines of "he'll make mistakes at first, but his inherent all-American can-do heroism will pull him through and he'll end up teaching those aliens a thing or two about the value of the human spirit!" :bahgawd: I mean, the adverts for the show in the UK literally just said "Kirk's Childhood Hero" with a picture of him in a spacesuit. But just as Janeway ended up seeming like a bipolar psychopath through of the weight of plots demanding she act that way in order to work, Archer's cumulative actions turned him into, well, an incompetent pig-headed rear end in a top hat. (And a lot quicker than Janeway's deterioration.)

Funnily enough, I watched the ENT Mirror Universe episodes the other day, and Mirror Archer really only differs in his open jaw-clenching malevolence. Otherwise he's just as angry, petty and prone to loving up as his Prime counterpart.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 17, 2020