Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru posted:

Haha, this is such a bunch of bullshit. As if they would be dumb enough to stream the geometry o... wait a minute!

Also, all modern games constantly swap objects and textures in and out and changes between level of detail versions of things in order to maximize the system resources for what's needed on-screen. You'd have to go back and use some decade(s)-old console engine to find one that doesn't d… oh… wait another minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

There are forum ranks, with exclusive rewards and perks both on the RSI site and in game depending upon how much money you have contributed toward development in total. Becoming a member of the Chairman's Club entitles you to Concierge Services and rewards.

High Admiral = $1000+

Grand Admiral = $2500+

Space Marshall = $5000+

Wing Commander = $10,000+

Praetorian = $15,000+

Legatus Navium = $25,000+

At $7,512 I am half way between Space Marshall and Wing Commander, the date on the certificates is wrong I've been a Space Marshall since 21st December 2015 but the certificates were only awarded on 19-11-2018 to everyone who qualified.

My favourite perk is having the hardbound copy of the Chairman's Handbook.

quote:

They are listed on the website I linked. In game clothes and equipment. Access to in game Chairman's Club Lounges - they are not open yet but there is one at TEASA Spaceport, and another coming at Orison on Crusader, there will be more.

There are in game services planned for Chairman's Club such as Sharrington Cross online catalogue, Epulae Dining, Imperial Access - a Chairman's Club only VIP access to in game events - includes VIP tickets to in game sporting events and the opera house on Mars or the Fashion Week held on Prime - Terra II etc. There are exclusive resorts to stay at such as the Lagora Island Chateau on Tangaroa. They have a luxury travel service called Visangio, they operate a fleet of luxury Genesis Starliners.

Real World

Access to Concierge account section. Preferential access to our own dedicated customer service rep. Access to the Concierge section of the forums.

PTU access to wave 1. Early access to sales of new concepts and physical goods in the RSI store etc. Early access to ticketed event sales - the majority you meet at CitizenCon are Concierge members. There have been Chairman's Club only public events, you can buy tickets to those. There has been only one CitizenCon that had a Chairman's Club lounge but there will be more. Chairman's Club members also sometimes get a different type of 'goody-bag' at CtizenCon - all attendees get one but the contents may be 'extra' for Chairman's Club. In 2017 at CitizenCon Frankfurt, Concierge members got an Intel Optane SSD drive in their goody-bag, if I recall correctly.

Real world items: Concierge card - metal credit card sized. other physical goods. Limited editions. Chairman's Handbook - limited edition.

All players of Squadron 42 will have the right to buy an F8C Lightning in the PU for in game credits after Squadron 42 release, but Chairman's Club members Wing Commander and above get theirs gifted as of right without the need to complete Squadron 42 Chapter One. Praetorian and above get a gold skinned F8C Lightning. Legatus Navium also get an exclusive Executive edition 600i ship -'free'.

They add more as time goes on. The latest was a zip file with 2 tracks from the official soundtrack - track 1 and track 18 - uncompressed one of which is 'new' and not heard before.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Ub3NXXK.gifv

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Nyast posted:

Just look at these lunatics, which in year +9 still don't understand that client framerate is decoupled from server performance. Server meshing, assuming they get it working one day (hint: they won't), is not gonna affect client performance. Seriously, why don't these guys understand game development ?

Years ago the dependence between server and client performance was just incredible. Any single object in the entire universe would constantly be broadcast to all other players in the session. So if you fire a bullet on one planet, that shot would sent to, received and processed by clients that were hours away. When a ship spawned on the server, a file weighing megabytes was sent to all the clients detailing the ship, instead of say, a hash representing its configuration. The tick rate of the server was weirdly tied to the clients: the rings at the Olisar station were rotating, but every single rotational tick was sent individually by the server to the clients. So you would regularly see the ring jitter back and forth in its rotation as lag would gently caress up the rotation. They absolutely were trailblazers in figuring out novel ways to gently caress with the game.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

On the topic of scammy MMOs, has the thread ever taken a look at Entropia Universe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTPLp5u3iSU

It's a cash-based Sci-Fi MMO from 2003 and it seems to have pioneered some of the tactics that we also see in CIG. For instance, they figured out more than a decade ago how to sell digital land to their gamers. People could invest in land deeds and then resell them later, making profit in the process. It also has a lot of these time-sinking, second-life-like roleplaying traits that SC has. And doing this without pumping real money into the game takes time. As in SC, you can theoretically earn your way up the hierarchy without putting in any money. But also like Star Citizen, you'll have to mop space floors (i.e. scoop space poop) for dozens of hours in order to make any noticeable progress in the game. Never mind all those exclusive high-roller backer clubs that SC have that convey social status in a similar manner as it's done in Entropia. There are many very interesting parallels between the two games and their monetization schemes.

What distinguishes Entropia from SC is that Entropia allows their users toconvert game money back to real-world money, which combined with in-game gambling mechanics opens up all kinds of cans of worms. They also incorporated community- or third-party-created content into their game, which ironically went out of the window for SC when CIG scrapped mod support. What I'm wondering is to what degree Entropia Universe is, or will become a role model for Star Citizen.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 16, 2020

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The best part was still the many ways the repeatedly managed to make the rings decouple completely from the station and instead start rotating around, or relative to, completely unrelated objects. Including players.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Fidelitious posted:

1. The roadmap is completely inaccurate in which case you might as well not even update it
2. Management and direction is so incompetent that this actually representative of how much work they can do in 3 months
3. 90% of their resources are directed towards the currently invisible work on Squadron 42 and they've just left enough people on SC to complete a token amount of progress.

1 is correct, but you need something there because you're The Most Open Developer and you need to show whales progress. You might think the progress looks horrible, but they've already sold the whales on the idea that there's tons of ~super secret~ stuff that they can't put on the roadmap. There has been a secret dev build where everything works and is amazing for at least the five years I've been following this trainwreck.

2 isn't even accurate because it's not representative - they will absolutely move the bulk to the next patch. They're far more incompetent than their hilariously low bar for goals would make it seem.

3 is a popular theory right now, and probably the closest to being true, but that doesn't mean it is progressing. There's no S42 roadmap and during the recent times of low morale CIG responded by saying they're in the process of making a roadmap to the creation of a roadmap. This is good for Star Citizen. If the crobbler being pushed out and the radio silence is indicative of anything I'd say a large portion of the company is currency being pressured hard to scrap enough to make something, anything, that'll pass console cert in 2021.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The utility ships for the military are not going to be sold. Military cargo and transport vehicles etc as well. Quite a few won't be seen by players prior to Squadron 42 release. The advocacy (the UEE police) has ships that are specific to the role they play in the universe. Inter-system prisoner transport ships etc. There is an assumption that CI show everything they have made in the PU or in videos, they don't... not all. Also they talk often as though they made something yesterday.. when actually they made it years ago and only updated 'yesterday'. This I know for a fact because I've seen things they made years ago but didn't show until much later.

The Fleet Militia Initiative was a special dispensation to allow ageing military ships to be sold to civilian militia's but normally front-line military equipment and ships are not sold to the general public so that the UEE would never face an insurrection within it's borders from ships with equal capability to front-line military ships. Military grade is harder to get in the PU, sometimes you need special permissions to own and operate ships/vehicles or you MUST Be ex-military - like the F8C Lightning.

It's not a free-for-all, there are a lot of rules to live by in the UEE and there is security everywhere you try to go. You have to have licenses for some things and places you're allowed to go. Citizens have more rights than Civilians, but certain places are restricted to ex-military only.

The UEE is still more or less a militaristic society which is very stratified. You have the political class, the rich super elites, the diplomatic class, the military and Advocacy which are very tightly controlled by the political class - and then there is all the working class or civilians. There are factions within the UEE and not all are friendly to the military, even the ones that are may still cause problems - for example the Terra System is a law abiding system but they want the UEE centre of power to be moved from 'old ~Earth' to Prime on Terra II. There are plenty of 'contested' systems that do not want to be under the UEE control, not only haven't we seen all the ships, we haven't even seen all the manufacturers of ships and weapons yet. We've only seen a handful of the racing ships. Murray Cup racing is huge big business in the Empire.

The Banu are inveterate gamblers, they gamble on just about anything. They are addicted to SataBall not so much because of the skill involved but because of the potential to make fortunes quickly. You hear backers insist that SataBall was dumped and won't be in the game, if that is so they will have to go back and re-write a lot of the universe lore... it isn't so. SataBall will happen it's just not ready for the players.

The Chairman's Club Handbook for Concierge members is full of interesting little bits of information about life in the UEE systems that don't get discussed widely. There have been leaks, some of which you'll find on Youtube and Twitch.. but there are others you won't find. Even the leakers keep secrets. In the last few days The Chairman's Club section of the RSI site has included another perk for Concierge members. It is a zip file that contains two uncompressed music tracks which we are told is from the OST which is to come, one we already know and a new one we haven't heard yet. The tracks are numbered 1 and 18. Track 18's title is 'Battle of Centauri' which is a star system right next to the Vanduul line of star systems.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That is insanely sad.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
The sad part is I think this guy will be insanely upset when it never happens.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

Also, all modern games constantly swap objects and textures in and out and changes between level of detail versions of things in order to maximize the system resources for what's needed on-screen. You'd have to go back and use some decade(s)-old console engine to find one that doesn't d… oh… wait another minute.

Yeah, it's pure bullshit to try to excuse the performance of the game. But the "you fell thru the floor because it wasn't loaded yet" is particularly funny.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress yes, no better reason to visit the danganronpa sistem than to stay at the Lagora Island Chateau smoking a Nilgumek cigar with a fine glass of Radegast on the rocks before heading to Shorebreak

This is the life!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 16, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
subscription helmet is still funny

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Lord Stimperor posted:

It also has a lot of these time-sinking, second-life-like roleplaying traits that SC has. And doing this without pumping real money into the game takes time.
So Entropia always increases?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

BRB fixing my windows virtual memory settings.

A completely normal thing to do in the year 2020.

Dude, if you want I can copy you my boot disc?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Lord Stimperor posted:

On the topic of scammy MMOs, has the thread ever taken a look at Entropia Universe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTPLp5u3iSU

It's a cash-based Sci-Fi MMO from 2003 and it seems to have pioneered some of the tactics that we also see in CIG. For instance, they figured out more than a decade ago how to sell digital land to their gamers. People could invest in land deeds and then resell them later, making profit in the process. It also has a lot of these time-sinking, second-life-like roleplaying traits that SC has. And doing this without pumping real money into the game takes time. As in SC, you can theoretically earn your way up the hierarchy without putting in any money. But also like Star Citizen, you'll have to mop space floors (i.e. scoop space poop) for dozens of hours in order to make any noticeable progress in the game. Never mind all those exclusive high-roller backer clubs that SC have that convey social status in a similar manner as it's done in Entropia. There are many very interesting parallels between the two games and their monetization schemes.

What distinguishes Entropia from SC is that Entropia allows their users toconvert game money back to real-world money, which combined with in-game gambling mechanics opens up all kinds of cans of worms. They also incorporated community- or third-party-created content into their game, which ironically went out of the window for SC when CIG scrapped mod support. What I'm wondering is to what degree Entropia Universe is, or will become a role model for Star Citizen.

Entropia is an ASTONISHINGLY poo poo game.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No, in SC there is a clear relationship between client performance and server performance. People have hacked the game to be offline and when it is it runs perfectly fine.

This is in fact worse than if the client was actually fully decoupled with the servers performance because the spaghettis code being tangled between each other makes it significantly more difficult to actually unfuck

Yes, but that was pre OCS right ? The time when the server was sending to the client spawn / despawn messages for a random object that was a million Km away from the camera, hence causing the client to do a ton of useless work. That should've been fixed some time ago. What I was trying to say is that server meshing is not gonna affect client performance at all, because whether there's one static server or a hundred dynamic ones, the client's still only connected to a single one at once, so the amount of work the client does is strictly identical. I mean, in theory. CIG's capability of loving it up is still a big unknown.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Pixelate posted:

subscription helmet is still f#q4r';oth3

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

There's a metaphor here somewhere

https://i.imgur.com/DYPApNH.gifv

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That gif breaks my heart, like the raccoon that tries to clean its candy-floss.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Honked posted:

What happened to Eddie Parr in the end?

He lost faith and ended up parrping out of there. Subsumption AI, you know.

Tippis posted:

He certainly was critical to getting that movie made.

So absolutely critical he couldn't even splurge on an executive producer credit.

You know what's hilarious? That's still less producers than IMDB lists for the first episode of Star Trek: Discovery

IMDB posted:

Produced by
Jesse Alexander ... co-executive producer
Aaron Baiers ... producer
Gretchen J. Berg ... executive producer
Aron Eli Coleite ... co-executive producer
Jill Danton ... producer (produced by)
Elan Dassani ... producer: Jordan
Rajeev Dassani ... producer: Jordan
Bryan Fuller ... executive producer
Akiva Goldsman ... executive producer
Aaron Harberts ... executive producer
Geoffrey Hemwall ... producer
Issam M. Husseini ... unit producer: Jordan
Heather Kadin ... executive producer
Alex Kurtzman ... executive producer
Joe Menosky ... co-executive producer
Nicholas Meyer ... consulting producer
April Nocifora ... producer
Kosta Orfanidis ... producer: Jordan
Olatunde Osunsanmi ... co-executive producer
Rod Roddenberry ... executive producer (as Eugene Roddenberry)
Trevor Roth ... executive producer
David Semel ... executive producer
Craig Sweeny ... consulting producer
Dana N. Wilson ... associate producer

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

trucutru posted:

Yeah, it's pure bullshit to try to excuse the performance of the game. But the "you fell thru the floor because it wasn't loaded yet" is particularly funny.

I think one of the later battfields did that in their solo campaign on release — maybe it was the cops-and-robbers one? You were meant to bust through the door all cinematically-like, but the room behind it invariably failed to load so you and your NPC buddies would just run in and die. :D

Bofast posted:

You know what's hilarious? That's still less producers than IMDB lists for the first episode of Star Trek: Discovery

At least a fair bunch of those were willing to shell out cash for the “executive” title.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

The best part was still the many ways the repeatedly managed to make the rings decouple completely from the station and instead start rotating around, or relative to, completely unrelated objects. Including players.

https://i.imgur.com/xOOvkqK.gifv

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nyast posted:

Yes, but that was pre OCS right ? The time when the server was sending to the client spawn / despawn messages for a random object that was a million Km away from the camera, hence causing the client to do a ton of useless work. That should've been fixed some time ago. What I was trying to say is that server meshing is not gonna affect client performance at all, because whether there's one static server or a hundred dynamic ones, the client's still only connected to a single one at once, so the amount of work the client does is strictly identical. I mean, in theory. CIG's capability of loving it up is still a big unknown.

I dont think its entirely divorced from the client with OCS. It improved it and what gains they had have already been taxed by the other unoptimized poo poo they've added. Sever meshing wont fix anything because again, any gains they get will be rolled over by more poo poo.

I still think the reason why they haven't introduced the ability to jump to other systems yet is because the servers/databases will buckle at the seems because of how they've coded everything else.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I still think the reason why they haven't introduced the ability to jump to other systems yet is because the servers/databases will buckle at the seems because of how they've coded everything else.

I would be trivially easy (as in actually so trivial even CIG could do it) to simply reduce the amount of stuff available in system A temporally so that their servers/dbs are able to handle a second system.

The reason why they haven't introduced the ability to jump to other systems is really straight-forward: they don't have other systems to jump to.

They also haven't even started to design how the jumps are going to actually work.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I got a beta disc for Entropia back when getting into betas was actually a rare thing and I never installed it because my computer at the time couldn't play it

I remember when getting into a beta was a big deal because they sent out a limited number of discs for free and you felt like you were in some exclusive club and now we just pay extra for it since it's been re-branded early access lol

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

monkeytek posted:

The sad part is I think this guy will be insanely upset extremely satisfied when it never happens.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I haven't thought about this game in years. What's going on with it? Is it out yet?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

fridge corn posted:

I haven't thought about this game in years. What's going on with it? Is it out yet?
It's forever in some form of intermediary state between pre-alpha and death, sustained by remaining pledging denialist escapist whales, money laundering and occasional investment by some deceived shady guys. Anyway, buy an Idris.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Dwesa posted:

It's forever in some form of intermediary state between pre-alpha and death, sustained by remaining pledging denialist escapist whales, money laundering and occasional investment by some fools/shady guys. Anyway, buy an Idris.

It's like Shroedinger's cat, except that instead of having a cat in a box, you have Star Citizer in a box. It's in an overlapped state of being released and being alpha, being worse in every patch yet being the best funding year, etc..

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Dwesa posted:

It's forever in some form of intermediary state between pre-alpha and death, sustained by remaining pledging denialist escapist whales, money laundering and occasional investment by some deceived shady guys. Anyway, buy an Idris.

So nothing has changed in like 5 years?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

fridge corn posted:

Body dragging is in the game now

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

fridge corn posted:

Maybe they managed to make additional 3% of then promised features while number of promised features increased by about 150% since then. Anyway, they are making amazing progress and many things they work on were never done before and never will be done.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 17, 2020

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Dr. Honked posted:

Body dragging is in the game now

Fudster, body dragging has always been a core part of the SQ42 experience that will revolutionise pc gaming, I was shown it during a preview tour of the LA office in 2014, it's part of the dev build. Revealing it would however spoil the SQ42 experience that marketing wants to keep under wraps though, but Chris pbuh has said that not only can you drag bodies, but with Tier-1 body dragging we crates, boxes, canisters and barrels will also be draggable.

The item on the roadmap is only optimization of the extremely advanced multithreaded code to account for the updated flight model and switch to Vulkan.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

fridge corn posted:

Nope

https://i.imgur.com/JtIVFFF.mp4

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mmm yes, our rich varied lore where an entire species can be described as gambling addicts.
The merchantman must be on its way right

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

reddit posted:

the unforgettable 3.10 experience

I spawned at arccorp and made a b line to dumpers to see if I could buy hornet turrets for my F7C which is currently a $110 paperweight. Surely after 6 months of no turrets they'd fix this bug. Nope. So I went to spawn my Titan, excited to do the new delivery missions, and saw that my prospector was wiped in the not-wipe. Bummer. I'll just grind deliveries for another month to get it back. So I accept two deliveries, try to fly out of arccorp, and all of a sudden my ship spontaneously combusts, making me scream in surprise, which in turns made my cat run into a wall. It turns out the ATC guy in charge of the autopilot went rogue and made it self destruct people's ships. He also made the waypoint for the new spline system nearly invisible if you don't know to look for it, to mess with new players probably. What a dick.

Anyways, deliveries turn out to be pretty mind numbing, ~25 minutes work for 8k... except one of them bugs out (not enough shelf space in the outpost unfortunately) when I turn it in so it's 25 minutes for 4k. Oh well guess I'm not doing those anymore. Guess I'll do an fps mission then. I massacre that security post by crusader, I'm great at FPS games. After killing 6 guys with extreme kentucky windage (must have dropped my 4x scope and knocked it out of zero) there's 1 guy left, and ... my gun won't shoot. Click click click. The guy runs into cover right next to me for some reason, stares me down. Click click click click. Nothing happens. The NPC seems to know and just watches me. Three seconds later he shoots me. Well screw that poo poo. I guess I'll do an investigation mission, those were fun and make okay money. So I get the 10k one and fly out to a starfarer in my $110 paperweight which has no engine sound for some reason. I get there, cellin is as beautiful as ever, and... jesus christ there's more NPCs in it. Guess I'll take my chances with the dice roll gun malfunctions. I take two of them out, just waiting for my gun to jam again, then OH poo poo IT'S CAPTAIN T-POSE. He flickers around the room, appearing upstairs, downstairs, left, right, teleporting all over the place like a DBZ villain. Then I die

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

I would be trivially easy (as in actually so trivial even CIG could do it) to simply reduce the amount of stuff available in system A temporally so that their servers/dbs are able to handle a second system.

The reason why they haven't introduced the ability to jump to other systems is really straight-forward: they don't have other systems to jump to.

They also haven't even started to design how the jumps are going to actually work.

But the same thing could be said about cutting the amount of stuff in one system and just pasting it in another system just so that there is an actual thing to do mechanically thats supposed to be core to the gameplay of SC. And really, jumping 1.0 could just be travelling to a beacon and pressing a button to initiate the jump.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Maybe I'm misremembering, but isn't the current system already composed out of "multiple" systems? Like they have stuff in there that in the "lore" is in other systems, and the only reason it's there is because they hadn't implemented jumping from one system to another yet? Am I remembering this wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Please remember that they've shown going through jumppoint's colon, so obviously they already have it done, they just need to finish [insert random acronym] first