Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
crabdad first mcpon from the reserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ded posted:

crabdad first mcpon from the reserves

Would a reservist MCPON be considered ADOS or...?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Crabdad has broken the Navy and it owns.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Crabdad has broken the Navy and it owns.

Seriously, when someone figures it out they're either going to send an assassin or make him a recruiter.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

Seriously, when someone figures it out they're either going to send an assassin or make him a recruiter.

I tell my Marines stories about my reservist Navy buddy who somehow hits the jackpot on everything he does.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

McNally posted:

Would a reservist MCPON be considered ADOS or...?

American Descendants of Slavery

what

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Godholio posted:

Oh god I would have to go down to E5 to be a recruiter so.... shucks I get I missed that bullet.

orange juche posted:

You've escaped from the skate-est rank in the Navy though sadly enough, now you're actually going to be expected to do poo poo.

I fear this is the truth. However I really do get something out of helping new arrivals to my unit. Getting dumped unceremoniously into a NOSC then a unit is a very lovely experience. I may not be a great or even good Navy IT but if I can assist newcomers I'll feel fine about this advancement. I've had some great E6s in my last 3 units that just so happened to be my last three evals really pull for me and I hope to pay it forward someday soon.

So my original plan of not bothering to mobilize until I was 1rst class has come to fruition. Now I got a couple years to focus on getting a really good mobilization to a command were I can actually do my job instead of send requests to a civilian to fix everything because we don't have any permissions.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

So my original plan of not bothering to mobilize until I was 1rst class has come to fruition. Now I got a couple years to focus on getting a really good mobilization to a command were I can actually do my job instead of send requests to a civilian to fix everything because we don't have any permissions.

If they have a MOB still to RSHQ/USFOR-A in Kabul as an IT1 take it. The guy that I was there in 16-17 was a VA IT govvie who actually enjoyed just doing basic help desk lvl1 compared to his actual GS job due to the simpleness of it

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ded posted:

what

Active Duty for Operational Support.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ded posted:

what

I thought it was Actively Desecrating Other Sailors.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh god I would have to go down to E5 to be a recruiter so.... shucks I get I missed that bullet.

Haha there are plenty of e6 recruiting billets friend. Not to mention those are typically more of a suggestion.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Navy Remote Maintenance

I dont understand why the 'Machinery Space Laptops' aren't replaced with cell phones or tablets and why people are carrying portable servers around.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It looks like that's more of a developmental prototype that someone fast-tracked, but honestly getting connectivity between systems anywhere in the navy is always a massive pain in the rear end, so hauling around the server may legitimately be the best solution.

I had $25,000 worth of Samsung tablets sitting in a box under my desk because "we're going to paperless flight pubs" but nobody bothered to provide any support for them or figure out a way to actually load products onto them, because they're not compatible with NMCI and can't connect to classified mission planning systems.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It looks like that's more of a developmental prototype that someone fast-tracked, but honestly getting connectivity between systems anywhere in the navy is always a massive pain in the rear end, so hauling around the server may legitimately be the best solution.

I had $25,000 worth of Samsung tablets sitting in a box under my desk because "we're going to paperless flight pubs" but nobody bothered to provide any support for them or figure out a way to actually load products onto them, because they're not compatible with NMCI and can't connect to classified mission planning systems.

Not my desk, but we had literally the same scenario at Fallon.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Has anyone seen any literature on this phenomena of how hard it is to actually make these systems work in the dod cyber beauracracy?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

piL posted:

Has anyone seen any literature on this phenomena of how hard it is to actually make these systems work in the dod cyber beauracracy?

GAO type reports can sometimes - enlighten your world, but my assumption is anything current is going to be FOUO or higher. There have been case studies on various USG IT projects that have gone off the rails.

This one in particular has some good reports. https://www.infoworld.com/article/2672020/anatomy-of-an-it-disaster--how-the-fbi-blew-it.html

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

piL posted:

The ATO process is absolute insanity.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

At least part of the DoD recognizes part of the problem: https://innovation.defense.gov/software/

I recommend

- Vignette 3 – Making It Hard to Help: A Self-Denial of Service Attack for the SWAP Study
- DIB Guide: Detecting Agile BS
- Vignette 6 – JMS: Seven Signs That Your Software (Program) Is in Trouble

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Thats pretty bad. Private sector has had systems like this in place for shore side equipment for almost two decades. That is a completely different environment as the O&M vendor can just about take complete control, patch at will, start/stop equipment, whatever but there's no reason suitable gaps and procedures could not be implemented.

With the Navy skills shortage it may even make sense to concentrate expertise and push it out remotely. Systems will only be increasing in complexity and therefore knowledge and expertise required. I'm rather surprised that effectively implementing such a system hasn't been at the top of the list for the last several decades.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 16, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

The ATO process is absolute insanity.

That much is true, and its certainly been a thorn in my side before. I thought the RMF was going to get rid of it, but it didnt.

Thanks much, I'll give these a read. I think its exactly what I was looking for.

lightpole posted:

Thats pretty bad. Private sector has had systems like this in place for shore side equipment for almost two decades. That is a completely different environment as the O&M vendor can just about take complete control, patch at will, start/stop equipment, whatever but there's no reason suitable gaps and procedures could not be implemented.

With the Navy skills shortage it may even make sense to concentrate expertise and push it out remotely. Systems will only be increasing in complexity and therefore knowledge and expertise required. I'm rather surprised that effectively implementing such a system hasn't been at the top of the list for the last several decades.

Goldwater-Nichols ensures that nobody who buys/makes the stuff are the same people who use the stuff. Combine that with military style hierarchy, and its impossible for our decision makers to have a real sense of what the workers do--they call a week ahead, Sailors do extra cleaning, and announce the Admiral's presence on general announcing--nobodys working because all hands are at the all hands. A star is about as dangerous to a Sailor's career or liberty as a fuel oil leak. I suspect the flags are scared to ask questions because they know their inquisitiveness is often interpreted as direction and like the position and velocity of a particle, they can't ask without affecting the scene.

To me, this means that flags will rarely observe the force wide implications of a broken piece of software or a missing part of implementation. So whatever project just slowly dies behind the scenes unless its somebody's baby.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

We made the switch over at the start of the year to the Samsung tablets. Instead of plugging into NMCI or any of our normal networked stuff to upload/install pubs, we buddy load all our stuff on the tablets from a spare CF-20 the pilots use to update all their pubs.

The fun part was we made the switch, but the tablets weren't authorized to be in the simulator for the first month due to not being authorized electronic devices. :psyduck:

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
When I transferred from the Navy to NOAA they gave me my own laptop and an iPad mini with Foreflight and cell data. It was... confusing? I was blown away after 8 years of sharing two computers amongst the wardroom and having a fleet of PFPS and JMPS laptops nobody knew how to update or connect to the network.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Every flight I flew as an instructor NFO I had a tablet with me. I still had everything I needed in my nav bag but flying with a tablet was so much more convenient.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wonder Free posted:

When I transferred from the Navy to NOAA they gave me my own laptop and an iPad mini with Foreflight and cell data. It was... confusing? I was blown away after 8 years of sharing two computers amongst the wardroom and having a fleet of PFPS and JMPS laptops nobody knew how to update or connect to the network.

Hey, are you just on the P-3, or do you fly the Gulfstream as well?

Between amazon and ya’ll, the FAA went ahead and made Lakeland tower a 24hr operation. In 2020. The worst timeline.

It might be the only expansion of service I see in my career.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
P-3 only. You only fly one or the other since their primary mission is hurricanes and you can’t be in two crews at once.

The 24 hour tower will be nice since we fly all sorts of odd hours for hurricanes and other stuff. I would guess Lakeland’s next move is to try to lure commercial airline service back in again.

Looking at a possible deployment for a wave coming across the Atlantic now. A bunch of tracks bring it into Florida next week, so that’ll be a mess again.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1295818350262616064?s=20

"I am sure the LCS MCM module will prove as effective," as I take a big sip of coffee and think of the Gulf and SOH yes I see that the Bahrain based ships are staying there

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1295818350262616064?s=20

"I am sure the LCS MCM module will prove as effective," as I take a big sip of coffee and think of the Gulf and SOH yes I see that the Bahrain based ships are staying there

Whats the most effective ship for MCM operations?

Partnerships.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
Why did we even have MCMs in San Diego? Apart from training I guess, what mines they looking to find out there? Bahrain and Japan I get yes, San Diego I don't see why.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Al Capwn posted:

Why did we even have MCMs in San Diego? Apart from training I guess, what mines they looking to find out there? Bahrain and Japan I get yes, San Diego I don't see why.

They were transplants from Ingleside which is where NMAWC was before Ingletuckey got BRAC'd and they needed a new home. (That's also part of the reason they went up to 4x in Sasebo from the 2x they used to have.)
The stateside sweeps were there to train MCM crews as they rotated to the Bahrain hulls and provide a fleet concentration area for the mine force. But, really, they were all built in the late '80s/early '90s as a countermeasure if the USSR decided to get froggy and mine US harbors.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

AlternateNu posted:

(That's also part of the reason they went up to 4x in Sasebo from the 2x they used to have.)

Well, that and the odds that at any given time at least one of the four sweeps was operational enough to do something more than anchor in the harbor over the weekend.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My current CO was a commander of a sweeper and I want to ask him how many sailors he sent to mast for touching weenies but I'm not sure that's a stereotype outside the forums.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hekk posted:

Well, that and the odds that at any given time at least one of the four sweeps was operational enough to do something more than anchor in the harbor over the weekend.

It's been a clip since I was on mine, but we were only down hard for maybe 2-3 weeks total during my tour. Of course, this doesn't count our MMGTG which was down for 7 months because we had a sea water leak at the heat exchanger into the lube oil system corroding the entire loving thing. :v:

LingcodKilla posted:

My current CO was a commander of a sweeper and I want to ask him how many sailors he sent to mast for touching weenies but I'm not sure that's a stereotype outside the forums.

Can't speak for the whole mine force, but I had to mast a kid and boot him out for touching weenies.

I also had to ADSEP a kid who should never had been recruited. He had to take the ASVAB three times to get his 37 score, and the recruiter somehow got him signed up as an AO. But surprise, surprise, he could never get through the AO pipeline, so they rate-transferred him to EN and sent him to us. If it was in my power, I would take everyone in the kid's recruiting + training pipeline and would court martial them for gross negligence and dereliction of duty.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Al Capwn posted:

While during the rotational crew days they were there as training ships, after the MCMs went to single crews back 5 or 6 years ago they remained stateside due to a combination of NORTHCOM homeland defense requirements, cost to move to FDNF, and political will of the host nations to increase force laydown.

LingcodKilla posted:

I had a handful of gay guys on my sweep. I never had issues with unauthorized penis touching.

However, 2 years before I got there there was serial molester that was touching dudes weiners while they were sleeping in their racks. He got caught in the act and had to be removed from the ship due to death threats.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

However, 2 years before I got there there was serial molester that was touching dudes weiners while they were sleeping in their racks. He got caught in the act and had to be removed from the ship due to death threats.

I didn't know if this was real or minemen making things up for conversation during watch. I should never have doubted.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

piL posted:

Whats the most effective ship for MCM operations?

Partnerships.

Brute force, of course

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The SS Bridgeton

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Bridgeton

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 20, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Got frocked today and that dropping "ping" sound I heard while getting my crows put on ended up being important a few minutes later when a Lieutenant Commander congratulated me by shaking my hand and idly slapping my crows.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

Got frocked today and that dropping "ping" sound I heard while getting my crows put on ended up being important a few minutes later when a Lieutenant Commander congratulated me by shaking my hand and idly slapping my crows.

You've been hazed friend. You must report this to the nearest admiral.

Congrats!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol but oof I bet that poo poo smarts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LingcodKilla posted:

The DOD assassin strikes!

Alternately, try putting in for a Purple Heart like the dude from F Troop.