Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

wargames posted:

I don't think I am horrible t my job as they haven't fired me yet, but gently caress trying to find a good IT job on the networking side in north florida. Also i am terrible at writing my resume, any suggestions on resume/job search?

They wont fire you since they are getting you at a huge discount, i would say take an initial stab in updating your resume. Then subscribe to resume to interviews or post on the forum and see what feedback you can get.

klosterdev posted:

Unironically this. My Samsung TV won't stop showing me ads in the home bar. When they first started showing up like a month after I bought it, I called Samsung support, they refused to call them ads, no I can't shut them off because they're "promotions", "suggestions", etc, someone really high up clearly made it impossible for the tech to utter the word "ad" during that conversation, to the point that I deconstructed what it is just to see if they could agree that a promotion inserted into the TV for a 3rd party product was an ad. That word could not leave their lips. Pi-hole fixed it for a while, but then they kept popping up and I kept having to blacklist new domains. Now they show up no matter what I do, and my TV still makes thousands of telemetry calls to their CDN every day.

Never buy Samsung.

I have an old samsung tv, and they show ads on there as well. the fix is to disconnect it from your network and use an apple tv

Thanks Ants posted:

The iPhone marketing could just be "doesn't have all this preloaded poo poo, doesn't have banner adverts in the phone dialer" and that would be enough for me. I'd lose battery life, camera quality, radio quality if the alternative was to be exposed to what carrier-branded Android handsets have become.

https://twitter.com/robotodd/status/1229768673352724480

And people poo poo on the iphone for being overpriced. at least they dont pull this bullshit on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Antioch posted:

The next TV I buy is going to be one of those hospitality ones they sell to hotels. Just a big bright high definition screen with a single input on the back. No WiFi, no smart bullshit, no "recommended entertainment experiences".

Look for professional displays. Or, simply don't connect your TV to the internet.

When a site was looking for a huge rear end conference room TV, I ended up shopping around some 85"+ professional displays, and prices are quite a bit higher then consumer, but not unreasonable. Also they generally are cooled better and are easier to move, since they aren't trying to be razor thin.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

RoboBoogie posted:

And people poo poo on the iphone for being overpriced. at least they dont pull this bullshit on us.

After thinking about it I honestly kind of suspect Samsung has convinced themselves that they're not displaying ads on their products, they just found a new source of revenue by receiving money from partner affiliates to show their users exciting new opportunities.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Does anyone know what Powershell I should be using to replace the certificates in my ADFS farm? All the documentation I can find suggests using the AzureAD connect applet, which is a little too clicky for my preferences

Edit: it might be Get-AdfsCertificate

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 14, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Well, it’ll be Set but otherwise yes

There is also Set-adfssslcertificate

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

And Set-WebApplicationProxySslCertificate on the proxy.

Supposedly the 2016 cmdlets manage the whole farm from one endpoint, but on my 2012R2 deployment, I have to touch each node individually.

I don't get to upgrade the farm to a modern OS until after our hybrid Exchange is updated from 2016 CU10 to 2019 CU6. I have been talking about our unsupported Exchange configuration for something like a year and a half. 6 months ago, we decided that the junior was going to review my documentation and reach out to me for help when he was ready to get started. Not a peep since then.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo pissing me off: People who have no idea how firewalls work telling me how I should configure my firewalls. It was super urgent so obviously they ping me 3 minutes before my weekend starts.

Luckily, I'll have forgotten about that poo poo on Monday.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I HATE ATAs

God drat I wish analog lines would just go away forever.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I wish it didn't take so long to get quotes and orders put together. I am trying to spend half a million dollars, Dell. Get me some numbers so I can put them in front of my boss and do a PO. I know you have servers in a warehouse. Gimme!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I HATE ATAs

Literally at one of our sites rn trying to get an ATA box to work that isn't, burn all analog lines

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I HATE ATAs

I used to configure ATA's to connect to Asterisk PBXs all the time. I had no idea what I was doing, I just checked boxes on the useless GUI until it worked and then I just shoved it in a corner and never touched it again.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Antioch posted:

I wish it didn't take so long to get quotes and orders put together. I am trying to spend half a million dollars, Dell. Get me some numbers so I can put them in front of my boss and do a PO. I know you have servers in a warehouse. Gimme!

I once failed to spend $100,000 because a sales department was so monumentally difficult to work with it was literally easier to just go without.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

I once failed to spend $100,000 because a sales department was so monumentally difficult to work with it was literally easier to just go without.

My "favorite" is the sales teams that refuse to even give a ballpark on price without having you sit through hours of sales presentations.

If our budget is $$$$, and your price is $$$$$$, making us sit through hours of sales pitches is not going to magically make our budget $$$$$$

Just give me a drat ballpark before we waste everyone's time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I used to configure ATA's to connect to Asterisk PBXs all the time. I had no idea what I was doing, I just checked boxes on the useless GUI until it worked and then I just shoved it in a corner and never touched it again.

ATAs are poo poo because you get the basic bit working and then have to spend twice as long on echo correction and getting caller ID working

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

today's version of the dns haiku brought to you by one of my idiot vendors that broke sso on us

it's not certs
there's no way it's certs
it was certs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not interested in anything that doesn't support ACME now, especially if the max cert validity period is dropping to 12 months - it would almost be a full time job running around renewing things.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
4pm on a friday *scheduled* support call with like 10 people? fuuuuck youuuuuuuu

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

My "favorite" is the sales teams that refuse to even give a ballpark on price without having you sit through hours of sales presentations.

If our budget is $$$$, and your price is $$$$$$, making us sit through hours of sales pitches is not going to magically make our budget $$$$$$

Just give me a drat ballpark before we waste everyone's time.

I had a lawyer who didn't like paying the absurdly low rate our MSP was charging us, and insisted I get quotes from a bunch of other places. One of the places I called refused to give me hourly rates, and insisted on sending out a sales team (two people) to talk to us. They do their whole dog and pony show all sorts of "24-hour support, highly specialized teams, experts in their fields, tons of hand-holding," etc. I tell them "we're paying $X. We want to pay less than that. Can you beat that?" They said there was no way in hell they could beat that, and (not in so many words) asked why I would waste their time like that.

It was at least helpful in that I could point at "look, you see, I totally met with these people" to the rear end in a top hat lawyer who insisted on the quotes.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

devmd01 posted:

4pm on a friday *scheduled* support call with like 10 people? fuuuuck youuuuuuuu
Do you work for a financial services software company? Because I just got off a call...

I'm Pacific, so it was only 1:00 my time, at least.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanks Ants posted:

ATAs are poo poo because you get the basic bit working and then have to spend twice as long on echo correction and getting caller ID working

I used to have these knockdown drag-out arguements with customers about outbound CID. Like on your phone, you dial a number and it checks your contacts for a match and shows the name. If you dial a random number it doesn't match and show it, or some phones even google the number and give you the business name. They'd wonder why their desk phone didn't do the same when they called out. I used to get screamed at so much about that. It was nuts. CID is hot garbage.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Antioch posted:

Dell is so loving slow to quote things out, they want to involve an engineer and 2 sales people have like 10 calls and ugh just give me a quote for X.

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
Promised to build my friend’s PC once all the parts came in, yeah? the case finally arrived and he sent a pic of all the parts he ordered; a micro-ATX board, a three-fan 2080 TI and a non-standard AIO. making GBS threads my pants right now thinking of how tight of a fit everything’s going to be, and pushing out a few extra inches of colon at the prospect of getting the wiring wrong after it’s all packed in together. pray for me y’all

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Apathy420 posted:

Promised to build my friend’s PC once all the parts came in, yeah? the case finally arrived and he sent a pic of all the parts he ordered; a micro-ATX board, a three-fan 2080 TI and a non-standard AIO. making GBS threads my pants right now thinking of how tight of a fit everything’s going to be, and pushing out a few extra inches of colon at the prospect of getting the wiring wrong after it’s all packed in together. pray for me y’all

While I do empathize, I really do, I don't want to seem like I'm making GBS threads on you, but if you were going to build it, you really should have asked his budget and provided a couple build out options, and then have your friend order those parts.

sort of a " Bit extra work now, to save yourself more work and headache later".

As an aside, remember how lovely stamped metal those old cases from the late 90s and early 2000s were? I couldn't put my hand inside one, without slicing my hand

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Johnny Aztec posted:

As an aside, remember how lovely stamped metal those old cases from the late 90s and early 2000s were? I couldn't put my hand inside one, without slicing my hand

A true IT Wizard of the 90's knows that a blood sacrifice is necessary to appease the Daemon within!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I still have a case without rolled edges, there's precisely one way to carry it with the side panel off that doesn't cut you open.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A true IT Wizard of the 90's knows that a blood sacrifice is necessary to appease the Daemon within!

IT nerds of the 90s have the scars to prove it.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

IT nerds of the 90s have the scars to prove it.

I kept an HP Vectra case for a long time, despite it weighing more than a car, just because someone put some thought into the insides. All the razor blade bits had been covered in soft rubber. The cage for the drive bays was set up with rails to make it easy to get drives in and out. There were little hooks in side for running cable, and the hooks had the rubber caps on them as well. Who ever designed it had spent time sticking their hands in cases and it showed. Sadly it had a properitary power supply set up and when the supply couldn't handle any more upgrades I got rid of the case.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Thomamelas posted:

I kept an HP Vectra case for a long time, despite it weighing more than a car, just because someone put some thought into the insides. All the razor blade bits had been covered in soft rubber. The cage for the drive bays was set up with rails to make it easy to get drives in and out. There were little hooks in side for running cable, and the hooks had the rubber caps on them as well. Who ever designed it had spent time sticking their hands in cases and it showed. Sadly it had a properitary power supply set up and when the supply couldn't handle any more upgrades I got rid of the case.

To contrast, there was one HP Pavilion case design that managed to always draw my blood whenever I had to work on it. Almost like HP was saying “You deserve this for not just telling them to buy a new Hewlett-Packard PC.”

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
poo poo pissing me off: our Mayor abruptly resigned on Tuesday (no one knows why) and we’re waiting to see who will replace them so I can have the digital signatures for finance updated.

I’ll have 3 business days to get the vendor to update the signatures (and jump through all their hoops) to get the new signatures ready before the next pay cycle. The vendors normal response time is 4 weeks :cry:

It’ll be election time in November, so I’ll be doing this again in a few months as well.

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Aztec posted:

While I do empathize, I really do, I don't want to seem like I'm making GBS threads on you, but if you were going to build it, you really should have asked his budget and provided a couple build out options, and then have your friend order those parts.

sort of a " Bit extra work now, to save yourself more work and headache later".

Tried to, but he found some pricy build online and wanted something unique with the best of the best specs possible without doing much research beforehand.

Build went perfectly fine and took about an hour, was a lot easier than I expected it to be. Bless

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Bob,

We did have an outage on our network Saturday evening that appears to have affected your service. There was a power event at the data center in Anytown, USA where we house our equipment which caused a network card to fail on our Core device. After working with the data center to resolve the power issue, we were then able to replace the card and restore services.

Thank you,

Joe Blow
NOC Engineer I

Why can't you guys send out and automated email when this happens, or have a status Twitter account, or anything except having me guess when she starts breaking over the weekend when I'm on call?

Monday, bossman is all, "Find out why our internet failover didn't work"

Because "the internet" still worked?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Why can't you guys send out and automated email when this happens, or have a status Twitter account, or anything except having me guess when she starts breaking over the weekend when I'm on call?

Monday, bossman is all, "Find out why our internet failover didn't work"

Because "the internet" still worked?

Reminds me of this classic. The website is down.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Let me tell you about the 4 days I spent trying to get a Cisco ATA to pass DTMF properly.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I used to have these knockdown drag-out arguements with customers about outbound CID. Like on your phone, you dial a number and it checks your contacts for a match and shows the name. If you dial a random number it doesn't match and show it, or some phones even google the number and give you the business name. They'd wonder why their desk phone didn't do the same when they called out. I used to get screamed at so much about that. It was nuts. CID is hot garbage.

Don't even get me started. I gave up arguing with Windstream about CID because they SWEAR they are passing it (inbound) to us correctly despite the fact that they're clearly not. Then there's the matter of getting helpdesk requests to "fix caller ID" for random people that don't even work for us because they for some reason have one of our numbers saved in their cell phone as "Joe Blow."

The worst part about caller ID is that each carrier holds their own database. Some even have multiple separate databases that don't talk to each other. So the same number will show up with different "caller ID's" depending on who is being called.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 17, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The worst part about caller ID is that each carrier holds their own database. Some even have multiple separate databases that don't talk to each other. So the same number will show up with different "caller ID's" depending on who is being called.

We have store locations we acquired 4 years ago STILL showing the wrong name for outbound CID for some carriers. I gave up on getting them fixed.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

"Hey, does the computer have to be on for <software> to work?"

All I can do is sigh at this point.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

"Hey, does the computer have to be on for <software> to work?"

All I can do is sigh at this point.

To be fair I can bluetooth send photos from my phone to my laptop while the laptop is closed, asleep, and locked.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

When I got in to VoIP this was the most shocking part. I was loosely aware of SS7 and how the network largely assumed trustworthy actors, but then when I found out how CNAM (caller ID text) functioned I was absolutely amazed that it worked at all.

Fortunately these days it's not uncommon if you're SIP peered with other carriers (or if your upstreams are) that you can get modern native caller ID messaging passed straight through.

That of course has its own issues when someone has misconfigured their trunks and doesn't understand why certain people are seeing the actual name and sometimes internal extension of the person calling them rather than the company name.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
We had an employee leave that had created a personal mobile line with his name + the name of our organization. So he could keep his personal and business line straight I guess. One of our managers noticed this once he left because of CID and wanted to know "what we could do about it". My response was for HR to call him and ask him to change the name of his line and if that didn't work, threaten legal action. I'm not sure what else they expect us to do. Its a personal phone line and we have no control over what any employee does with a personal line.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Pour one out every time you discover an former employee was using a gmail address for working with a 3rd party service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

klosterdev posted:

Pour one out every time you discover an former employee was using a gmail address for working with a 3rd party service

Or signed up for a 3rd party service with their personal CC, and then got terminated.

Or a production S3 bucket is in the founder's AWS account and the CC for it expired and nobody got notifications since it went to his uni email acct, so it broke a major part of the site.