Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The Meryn Trant thing was also overdone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he is an abusive pedophile in the books? They just wrote that reveal so Arya could kill him in the most gruesome, gratuitous manner possible and we would root for it.

The whole Arya in Braavos thing, yikes. The Terminator chase with the nameless girl vaulting through the air to catch her, then being riddled with wounds and not getting gangrene from falling into the disgusting Venice lagoon-grade canal water. It violated suspension of disbelief from whatever standpoint you evaluate television.

Also, Jaqen H'agar did blackface.

How amazing would it have been to show all the scenes of Meryn going 'too old', picking out one of the children only for it to turn out that he just wants to know how it feels to be a dad for a night.

Then Arya stabs him in the eyes and we gasp at the monster she's become.

Meryn never really struck me as an evil person, just a Lannister toad that probably regretted becoming a Kingsguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"Don't be like me," the Hound says to Arya, who is already a thousand times worse than him.

“I know a killer when I see one” says Arya of a woman who ten minutes ago burned a hundred thousand civilians alive with her dragon

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Love for the consequences of one of the most impactful events in the series to play out in a single scene.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vichan posted:

Meryn never really struck me as an evil person, just a Lannister toad that probably regretted becoming a Kingsguard.

Meryn beat up Sansa. He absolutely loved being a kingsguard and the authority it gave him.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
tbf the meryn killing scene is pretty much verbatim from one of the "sample" chapters from winds of winter (which is really just a leftover chapter from dance with dragons, because gurm hasn't actually written any new words since that came out).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Alhazred posted:

Meryn beat up Sansa. He absolutely loved being a kingsguard and the authority it gave him.

Yeah he seemed to be fine being a glorified armbreaker and it's not like the Lannisters were the type to punish a Kingsguard for breaking an oath or two here and there as long as they did their job well enough.

Would've been interesting to see him go up against Bronn but honestly given how over the top they took the fan service with the latter it's probably for the best that we didn't.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah he seemed to be fine being a glorified armbreaker and it's not like the Lannisters were the type to punish a Kingsguard for breaking an oath or two here and there as long as they did their job well enough.

Would've been interesting to see him go up against Bronn but honestly given how over the top they took the fan service with the latter it's probably for the best that we didn't.

They could have made Bronn a bunch of different high-level titles (city watch commander again! poo poo like that!) but they had to give him master of coin because it's all about the jokes!!!

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The whole Arya in Braavos thing, yikes. The Terminator chase with the nameless girl vaulting through the air to catch her, then being riddled with wounds and not getting gangrene from falling into the disgusting Venice lagoon-grade canal water. It violated suspension of disbelief from whatever standpoint you evaluate television.

i think after season 5 i was already like, okay, this isnt the show i used to like, but this scene was the one that did me in fully. it wasnt gonna be good again, and i expected poo poo from now on but at least wanted to get to the end

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I remember thinking Arya must be setting some kind of trap, when she was waltzing around the city tossing gold coins around. Then she just gets pounced on like she didn’t expect it to happen, and everything after that is even dumber

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

I remember thinking Arya must be setting some kind of trap, when she was waltzing around the city tossing gold coins around. Then she just gets pounced on like she didn’t expect it to happen, and everything after that is even dumber

once they got past the books every character's maximum intelligence level was capped at Benioff and Weiss', with predictable results

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Pattonesque posted:

once they got past the books every character's maximum intelligence level was capped at Benioff and Weiss', with predictable results

They literally killed barristan selmy out of spite for the actor

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Remember when Arya literally killed two people, carved them up, baked them into a pie, tricked their father into eating them, told him what she'd done, then slit his throat and held onto his head as he died?

Yeah it was Walder Frey and his family and they were pricks but it's also a real hosed and psychotic thing to do.

This was their attempt at adapting Wyman Manderly, who is in fact an awesome badass. Of course his best comparison point is book Dorne Prince Doran so...

God Dorne got so hosed over :(

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lid posted:

This was their attempt at adapting Wyman Manderly, who is in fact an awesome badass. Of course his best comparison point is book Dorne Prince Doran so...

God Dorne got so hosed over :(

Dorne and the Reach are historic powers with big armies relatively untouched by the War of the Five Kings and one gets taken out in a single naval battle while the other lets the depleted Lannister army march a thousand miles and take their seat power completely uncontested

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Laterite posted:

tbf the meryn killing scene is pretty much verbatim from one of the "sample" chapters from winds of winter (which is really just a leftover chapter from dance with dragons, because gurm hasn't actually written any new words since that came out).

It's not Meryn Trant in the preview chapter, though; it's Raff the Sweetling, the guy who kills Lommy Greenhands way back in ACOK and lands himself, along with most of the Mountain's men, on Arya's hit list pretty quick. The way Arya dispatches him in the preview chapter echoes his killing of Lommy: "You'll have to carry me," "Think so?"

Of course, Raff isn't in the show. They have Polliver as the one who kills Lommy, and who later gets shanked by Arya in the tavern fight, with Arya basically using the dialogue from that TWOW chapter as she kills him, as opposed to the book where it's the Tickler she kills (a kill they give to Jaqen in the show), while Polliver is taken out by the Hound in the same fight.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Dorne, a nation whose words are Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken. are not just words because geographically they are akin to a land war with Asia and how even during the age of dragons they could not be conquered because armies would always fail to take Dorne. So yes of course a depleted Lannister force that just got done, and was still involved in, numerous other fronts just takes it over easily.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Pattonesque posted:

Dorne and the Reach are historic powers with big armies relatively untouched by the War of the Five Kings and one gets taken out in a single naval battle while the other lets the depleted Lannister army march a thousand miles and take their seat power completely uncontested

I remember the after show interviews where one of the 2 guys said "The Reach doesn't actually have an army, their power is in their resources and crops"

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Laterite posted:

It shares some elements but most things in the Mercy chapter were used during the fight at the Inn between Sandor and Polliver + friends.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

Everybody says that Tyrion got dumber, but how smart was he to begin with? He had a good plan for defending King's Landing, but then he got played by everyone. He completely fails at every political scheme until he's put on trial and only survives because more competent characters think he's important.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Alhazred posted:

Everybody says that Tyrion got dumber, but how smart was he to begin with? He had a good plan for defending King's Landing, but then he got played by everyone. He completely fails at every political scheme until he's put on trial and only survives because more competent characters think he's important.

He's alright.

Tyrion's thing is that's he's a competent civil administrator -- in all the books he's just about the only person other than Dany who accomplishes anything that improves the lives of the average citizen even a little bit -- and a clever conciliator who is good at negotiating favorable bargains from a positionm of weakness. When he first arrives at King's Landing he does a very good job of defanging his internal enemies while setting up alliances to shore up his extremely shaky position, and it works even if he does get horribly injured. It's only when Tywin shows up and cuts him off at the knees that he starts his long downward slide, but there's literally nothing he can do about that; he has no army, there are no words in the world that will convince his father that he's not a fuckup, and he never had the inner brutality to take the reins of house Lannister by force, which is lwhat it would have taken to make it out alive at that point.

Tyrion is like a good card sharp sitting down at a poker table where everyone but him is armed with revolvers; he can bluff, he can cheat, he can lie, and he can get pretty far, but at the end of the day he's always going to be at the mercy of the suspicious rear end in a top hat with a gun.

That's why Tyrion sailing across the ocean was tantalizing; it looked, for a hot minute, like he might get put in a position where he could wield actual power and we'd get to see whther he actually was that clever or not. But then the show did what it did.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 17, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lid posted:

Not only did they cut out Manderly's plot - which considering how nothing happens in season 5 should've stayed in - they did him dirty because little Mormont calls him out for not coming to the Starks' aid after the Battle of the Bastards.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lid posted:

Dorne, a nation whose words are Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken. are not just words because geographically they are akin to a land war with Asia and how even during the age of dragons they could not be conquered because armies would always fail to take Dorne. So yes of course a depleted Lannister force that just got done, and was still involved in, numerous other fronts just takes it over easily.

Also by this time the Lannisters are broke and their food has been destroyed by the dragon attack. By any sensible standard the war is over.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

because little Mormont calls him out for not coming to the Starks' aid after the Battle of the Bastards.

Christ, did that kid get on my nerves after her first scene.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vichan posted:

Christ, did that kid get on my nerves after her first scene.

I think she was supposed to do one scene as a gag character and that played well, so of course they were like "yes let's bring her back and make her the most important Stark ally behind Dany"

Meanwhile her army according to the script is like five dudes

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lid posted:

this is the part that really bugs me, the Lannisters had lost a not-insignificant amount of men and had been fighting for quite some time, and their allies the Greyjoys had spent themselves trying to invade the North. The Golden Company should have been the actual thing that turned their fortunes around instead of a one-scene joke that got owned by Drogon

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

I don't think the Lannisters took over Dorne at all. I mean, "The New Prince of Dorne" pledges to Dany towards the end, implying that they had been neutral for a while.

It is never stated, but I assumed they were just busy with internal power struggles after the sand snakes were defeated.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SimonChris posted:

I don't think the Lannisters took over Dorne at all. I mean, "The New Prince of Dorne" pledges to Dany towards the end, implying that they had been neutral for a while.

It is never stated, but I assumed they were just busy with internal power struggles after the sand snakes were defeated.

I mean that's the other issue -- Ellaria and the Sand Snakes take over Dorne by murdering Doran despite that not really being how this whole thing works

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I was always really interested in Dorne because of their historical position and them having a very personal stake in Robert's Rebellion. The show started to lose me earlier than others after it became clear they weren't interested in developing any of that.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

I mean that's the other issue -- Ellaria and the Sand Snakes take over Dorne by murdering Doran despite that not really being how this whole thing works

Yeah, it makes no sense for the sand snakes to be the official rulers of Dorne, but maybe they were ruling through a puppet of some kind?

Here is how I would explain things if I was the writer:
The sand snakes have a lot of allies in Dorne, so they manage to install a puppet prince on the throne, ruling through him.
After the Lannisters take out the sand snakes, the puppet prince loses his support and is toppled from the throne.
The remaining Dornish forces return home, to settle the matter of succession.
Eventually, "The New Prince of Dorne" emerges victorious and re-pledges his support to Dany.

This could all be handled with a few extra lines of dialogue, without needing to change any of the big scenes.

Similarly, with the Reach, you have to assume that Lord Tarly convinced some of the other Tyrell bannermen to defect along with him since his influence was the stated reason why Jamie wanted to flip him in the first place.

Simply having Jamie go "It sure is good that you managed to convince most of the Tyrell bannermen to join you, Lord Tarly," would go a long way towards explaining why Highgarden fell so easily, and why the Lannister's have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of soldiers

Instead, they have Lady Oleanna make an asinine remark about how the Tyrells don't know how to fight, even though they have the largest army in Westeros and won the battle of Blackwater.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 17, 2020

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i keep saying, if grrm somehow finishes the books and give them a satisfying ending, gently caress live action adaptation go animated and actually present everyone in their over the top get ups

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Book Doran is one of the best characters on the series.

Book Quentyn is one of the worst, rip.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Just watched S8E3 and I gotta say that the Darkstar cameo was pretty well done.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SimonChris posted:

Instead, they have Lady Oleanna make an asinine remark about how the Tyrells don't know how to fight, even though they have the largest army in Westeros and won the battle of Blackwater.

yeah and they're all like "haha, Loras Tyrell, what a wuss" when the dude in the books is one of the scariest fighters in Westeros

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Pattonesque posted:

yeah and they're all like "haha, Loras Tyrell, what a wuss" when the dude in the books is one of the scariest fighters in Westeros

But he's gaaaayyyyy

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Drunk in Space posted:

It's not Meryn Trant in the preview chapter, though; it's Raff the Sweetling, the guy who kills Lommy Greenhands way back in ACOK and lands himself, along with most of the Mountain's men, on Arya's hit list pretty quick. The way Arya dispatches him in the preview chapter echoes his killing of Lommy: "You'll have to carry me," "Think so?"

Of course, Raff isn't in the show. They have Polliver as the one who kills Lommy, and who later gets shanked by Arya in the tavern fight, with Arya basically using the dialogue from that TWOW chapter as she kills him, as opposed to the book where it's the Tickler she kills (a kill they give to Jaqen in the show), while Polliver is taken out by the Hound in the same fight.

Well, poo poo. My memory of the chapter and what happened on the show got all swirled together in the soup that is my brain.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Unkempt posted:

But he's gaaaayyyyy

The Sparrows kidnap him in the show while he’s sparring and he just goes without a fight

They did the knight of flowers dirty

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Pattonesque posted:

The Sparrows kidnap him in the show while he’s sparring and he just goes without a fight

They did the knight of flowers dirty

I was trying to remember what happened to Loras and it turns out I completely buried that lovely storyline in my memory.

I know in the books he got his face melted off, and it's crazy that that's the better option.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I was trying to remember what happened to Loras and it turns out I completely buried that lovely storyline in my memory.

I know in the books he got his face melted off, and it's crazy that that's the better option.

His face was melted offscreen, and last we saw of the Tyrells in the books, they're making a power play for Tommen post High Sparrow takeover, so odds of it being real are 50/50.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

In the show he's basically like a glass cannon, like how in most of the fights with major characters he gets either a near death experience or a massive beatdown.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Does he ever get a badass moment on the show? Both the mountain and Brienne knock him on his rear end. Jamie, Ned, Drogo, Bronn, Jorah, the hound, ect all get at least one fight to show their skills. Loras gets gently caress all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

He's also such a sulky prick in the show. Isn't Book Loras basically the knightliest knight who ever knighted? (apart from the occasional dirty trick with horny horses)