Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

The Kiribati trick "works" insofar as I can launch the app, it just immediately gives me an error (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.) Tried resetting just about everything related to the Windows Store, but no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Works with New Zealand region if I'm actually VPNed to New Zealand, didn't seem to without it.
Once the download started I turned the VPN off and it's still downloading.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Oof, the PC Gamer review:

Fingers crossed they are overreacting.

Wait you're telling me I can't just do the tutorial and then hop into a real airplane and know exactly what I'm doing? 1/5

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

2/10 tutorial didn't teach me how to fly an Airbus A320

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ign gave this game a 10 lol

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

0/10 tutorial didn't warn me about the dangers of giant holes

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Why aren't FS tutorials good enough to allow me to get my PPL in real life??? Microsoft :argh:

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
OK I found a workaround, at least. Googling turned up a post saying that "digital ownership" might be bugged, and suggested that it might work if you join xbox game pass for a trial month (costs a quid), and then try playing the Standard Edition install that comes with that. Did so, and it went through to the installer page and is now downloading the updates.

Hopefully the issue will get sorted (I hope so as I paid for the deluxe edition!). But at least that'll get you started and downloading if you're having the same issue.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

cool new Metroid game posted:

0/10 tutorial didn't warn me about the dangers of giant holes

IGN "10/10, I;m thinking about thos holes"

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

love to have to run the game in the background to download the 91 gb. No it's cool, i wasnt planning on using my pc for hte 12 hours this will take

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

giving it a 0/10 for this loving updater

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

lobsterminator posted:

But GF Experience has one under shadowplay settings.

Yes, I would like to book the gf experience with shadow play please

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ethanol posted:

love to have to run the game in the background to download the 91 gb. No it's cool, i wasnt planning on using my pc for hte 12 hours this will take

It's taking 10% of my CPU and the music is so annoying I had to turn it off in Windows sound mixer. Guess I'm just gonna watch a movie or two until this thing finishes.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

:smugdog:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mine crashed at 80gb and then booted like it was done and then crashed again while I was allowed to select initial settings ya and now it’s downloading what seems to be the rest.

The real game, we always knew, would be getting the game to function.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

There's already some poo poo in the store, including options to upgrade to the deluxe and premium editions.

dunno wtf a VC is, virtual currency? vanatu currency code is VT or VUV :shrug:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

There's a manual cache option

e; wish it'd use that map in the world flight planning map :argh:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I get USD currency code.

I landed a Cessna! I didn't die! :woop:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
WTF is it doing, there's a stuck progress bar but it's using a full CPU core. There's no disk or network activity, so it's not downloading anything.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

if the loading bar is stuck about 15% through, by some trees, close the app and restart

I did that, it let me choose the install directory, then it did it again, so i closed the app and restarted and now it gave me the option of the 90gb update

edit: the downloading of each file and then individually decompressing it before moving on to the next one is a sweet rear end homage to austin and xplane

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I ordered a 1TB SSD last Tuesday and it still hasn't arrived! So no Flight Sim for me yet. They did estimate 3-5 business days and now is the fifth so hopefully I will get it soon.

I will have to live vicariously through your posts.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

I ordered a 1TB SSD last Tuesday and it still hasn't arrived! So no Flight Sim for me yet. They did estimate 3-5 business days and now is the fifth so hopefully I will get it soon.

I will have to live vicariously through your posts.

Delete something useless from your PC, like old unplayed games, films you watched and forgot to delete, music, photos of your children.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

flying over my beautiful native homeland of kiritimati

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

If anyone new to FS is struggling with the (lack of) tutorials, Squirrel has started his own series on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL4q_Tbv0jM

I haven't had time to sit down and watch them yet, but I would expect the quality to be pretty good.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

holy poo poo this updater is just trash, I can't get over it

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
anyone who installed on a different drive, don't forget to go to Data settings in game and change the rolling cache location. It defaults to C: even if you have the game installed somewhere else.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Zip! posted:

If anyone new to FS is struggling with the (lack of) tutorials, Squirrel has started his own series on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL4q_Tbv0jM

I haven't had time to sit down and watch them yet, but I would expect the quality to be pretty good.

I watched that and he got a couple things wrong though, like he thinks that the checklist assist is what causes the automatic pushback but it's the ATC AI assist that does that. checklist assist just gives an option to have the items on that checklist page be automatically done for you so no need to disable it, just leave the atc assist off when starting a new flight. also he got the gyro assist option mixed up which I guess is kinda understandable and they changed the name of it in the release version options to make it more obvious that you turn it ON to have the gyro not need recalibrating.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Works with New Zealand region if I'm actually VPNed to New Zealand, didn't seem to without it.
Once the download started I turned the VPN off and it's still downloading.

Does this work for Steam, or are you using Microsoft Store?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
New Nvidia driver for MSFS is out: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-game-ready-driver/

It's so new I can't actually grab it through GF Experience, so direct links: standard DCH

I said come in! posted:

Does this work for Steam, or are you using Microsoft Store?
Xbox app since I have game pass (so MS Store)
Steam isn't doing a staggered release.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 17, 2020

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

pranged it

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Hello, Nigel Farage.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
just get out and flip it back over what's the big deal

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The lack of place names on the map is annoying, as predicted. I can't find my home town.

Is there a way of matching the blue triangles with codes on the VFR map with real locations?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nigel Farage, is that you?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Oof, the PC Gamer review:

Fingers crossed they are overreacting.

I like the implication that a player new to flight sims will be annoyed that there's not a 200 hour instrument rating course.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Malloc Voidstar posted:

New Nvidia driver for MSFS is out: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-game-ready-driver/

It's so new I can't actually grab it through GF Experience, so direct links: standard DCH
Xbox app since I have game pass (so MS Store)
Steam isn't doing a staggered release.

Thank you! I bought this on Steam, so just going to have to sit tight. No pre-load sucks but i'll be at work anyways while i'm finally able to download it.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

sum posted:

I like the implication that a player new to flight sims will be annoyed that there's not a 200 hour instrument rating course.

I’ve been chomping at the bit all week to toss in $120 for a few months of fake flight school similar to the old Americas Army tutorials where you had to walk your character into first aid classes and answer questions on a quiz to unlock the medic class.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

fuf posted:

The lack of place names on the map is annoying, as predicted. I can't find my home town.

Is there a way of matching the blue triangles with codes on the VFR map with real locations?

https://skyvector.com/

Real VFR maps can help you find VORs and other navigation landmarks near your house. If a TAC is available for your area that will provide even more low level detail.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Holy poo poo it works, and works amazingly. 30-40fps at 2560x1440 on a vanilla 1070 and 8086k at "high end", no tweaking.

The world gen is so good I can fly by landmarks and the Icon A5 is fun as hell. It goofs on a lot of buildings but it does well given the constraints, like my old house looks like my old house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

clouds are nice