Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

teagone posted:

100% likely because the version of the RAM you have isn't on your motherboard's QVL (quality vendor list). The Vengeance LPX RAM part number is probably listed on your motherboard QVL, but because of Corsair's super lovely inventory practices, you likely got a batch of LPX RAM from a revision that wasn't tested/isn't 100% compatible with your motherboard DESPITE having the same QVL part number. I've run into the same problem with Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM, twice. My Plex server only supports Vengeance LPX ver 4.31 DDR4-3200, but when I ordered the same part number online to add another 16GB, I received ver 4.36 or something, and I can barely run the RAM at 2933 MHz.

I think I got them in the wrong slots, but it detects it in BIOS as 3000mhz? Anyways its only an office computer so whatever JEDEC speeds are probably fine for now.

I'll try the other ram slots with COPD speeds later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

movax posted:

I feel like I’m reading a post from an audiophile forum...

ryzen smoother? w/e

ryzen is brighter and deeper

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

movax posted:

Audiophiles - the second worst phile there is

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
QVL lists usually don't matter. Be sure to update your Bios to the latest version, that might help. And use the slots recommended in the mainboard manual, as suggested.

The RAM might also simply be defective and not run stable at full speed.

teagone posted:

My Plex server only supports Vengeance LPX ver 4.31 DDR4-3200, but when I ordered the same part number online to add another 16GB, I received ver 4.36 or something, and I can barely run the RAM at 2933 MHz.

If your RAM is dual-rank, that is the reason - not it being incompatible. Running four dual-rank sticks is like running 8 single-rank ones, which consumer CPU memory controllers can't do at high RAM speeds.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

E2M2 posted:

So I just built my wife a super budget machine.

Athlon 3000g
Asus B450M-A/CSM
16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengence 3000mhz
430W Corsair

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Anyways the question is why I can't set the ram to COPD speeds without crashing? Its giving it 1.35v on the DRAM. Straight up Youtube crashed it. And sometimes it wouldn't even POST past BIOS. I think I had to manually set it to 2933mhz to get into Windows.

teagone posted:

100% likely because the version of the RAM you have isn't on your motherboard's QVL (quality vendor list). The Vengeance LPX RAM part number is probably listed on your motherboard QVL, but because of Corsair's super lovely inventory practices, you likely got a batch of LPX RAM from a revision that wasn't tested/isn't 100% compatible with your motherboard DESPITE having the same QVL part number. I've run into the same problem with Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM, twice. My Plex server only supports Vengeance LPX ver 4.31 DDR4-3200, but when I ordered the same part number online to add another 16GB, I received ver 4.36 or something, and I can barely run the RAM at 2933 MHz.

Looking at the list here, there appears to be one entry for

CMK16GX4M2B3000C15(Ver4.24) 2*8GB DS Hynix 15-17-17-35 1.35 3000 3000

If you didn't get that version, you are probably screwed, because of Corsair's lovely practices, like Teagone said.

I too, have been bitten by this, and as a result, am running a pair of 3200 sticks at 3000 instead.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

taqueso posted:

ryzen smoother? w/e

Radeon graphics give you better colors and sharper images!

(People have unironically said this on r/AMD)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fame Douglas posted:

QVL lists usually don't matter.

Not in my experience with Ryzen, lmao.

quote:

If your RAM is dual-rank, that is the reason - not it being incompatible. Running four dual-rank sticks is like running 8 single-rank ones, which consumer CPU memory controllers can't do at high RAM speeds.

See the following regarding my friend's issue with trying to get his Corsair Vengeance LPX sticks to run at their rated speed:

teagone posted:

ElehemEare posted:

Wait this is a thing? gently caress me. I have CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 v4.32, not v4.31. If this is my problem wouldn't I expect a DIMM debug, at least?

Hello, welcome to the recent experience I had when helping a friend build their PC, lol:

teagone posted:

Friend of mine got his PC all built, but he's having issues with getting the RAM to run at 3200MHz. Specs are Ryzen 5 3600, MSI Pro-VDH MAX mainboard, 2x16GB QVL listed Corsair RAM kit. With the XMP profile enabled in BIOS, the speed stays locked at 2133MHz. With the XMP profile enabled and manually setting the DRAM frequency to 3200 (everything else on auto), the board spits out a Memory Overclocking Fail error, sending him back into the BIOS. I had him try using the boards "Memory Try It!" CAS 16 3200MHz timing instead of XMP, but gave the same fail error. Also tried increasing DRAM voltage to 1.4, and still nothing.

The QVL part number is the exact same on mainboard's support page, but it does list a specific version number of 4.31... is it possible that he may have gotten a newer/different revision that would cause instability issues? The SPD tab in CPU-Z unfortunately doesn't list the version number, but he's going to remove the RAM module later to check the part label. Everything else in the SPD tab (below) matches up with what's listed on the mainboard's support page though.

Here's the QVL listing on the Pro-VDH MAX's compatibility page:

[edit] My only guess is that maybe he needs to install the new BIOS update with the AGESA 1.0.0.5 firmware? The board's current BIOS is the version just before that one.

teagone posted:

Confirmed, the RAM my friend received is version 4.32, not 4.31... ver 4.32 is not listed on the Pro-VDH MAX's QVL. That's unfortunate. Super annoying that the different versions of RAM share the same exact part number, and that you can't choose which version you get when ordering.

So, is it safe to assume the different version is likely why he can't properly run the RAM at 3200MHz?

teagone posted:

Was able to post and boot into Windows no problem using these settings:

I feel like with the CAS at 14, that should be comparable to like CAS 16/18 3200 right? Or just a little performance left on the table? Or am I completely wrong, lol.

So, unable to get the PC to boot with the RAM at CAS 16 3200, but CAS 14 3000 works no problem. Ryzen is weird. I suspect my Plex server (Ryzen 3 2200G/MSI B450M Mortar) trying to run 4.32 RAM sticks with 4.31 RAM sticks in a 4x8GB config is what was causing instability running the RAM past 2933MHz. I opened a ticket with Corsair to see if they can swap my 4.32 modules with 4.31 sticks, but haven't heard back yet.

I had similar issues trying to get my own ver 4.32 DDR4-3200 Vengeance LPX sticks on an MSI B450M Mortar board (latest BIOS) and a Ryzen 3 2200G to run at 3200MHz. I could only ever get the sticks to cap out at 3000 MHz on my Plex server; this was running with ONLY the ver 4.32 sticks installed. If I ran the 4.32 sticks with the 4.31 sticks together, I could sometimes boot at 2933MHz, but if I ever had to restart it was 50/50 if the RAM timings/frequency would stick or do the memory fail boot loop to reset the timings back to the JEDEC speed.

I can run the 4.31 sticks at their rated 3200 MHz speed without issue... because that specific version is on the QVL of my Plex server's motherboard.

[edit] Also, Corsair's RMA department won't/can't swap your sticks with the proper version if you didn't get the version number you wanted. Because of that interaction I had, I'm personally never buying or recommending Corsair RAM again lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 16, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zen+ doesn't have the world's greatest memory controller, and Zen 1's even worse. In my limited experience Zen+ tops out at 2933 without getting into the weeds, but the performance difference between 2933 and 3000 or even 3200 will be imperceptible in all circumstances, so I wouldn't worry about it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

teagone posted:

Not in my experience with Ryzen, lmao.

:same:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Get QVL RAM for Ryzen. The small premium you have to pay in money and time is worth it when you could end up being the guy fiddling with memory timings to get it stable.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

movax posted:

Ha, Arctic Silver? Good luck with your CPU cooler creating micro cavities in the thermal compound in the 285kHz range. You're really limiting your 0.001% lows.

If you want to dampen the impacts of that without having to remount your cooler, you could hang these satchels filled with a specially compounded silicate that's designed for that very range.

Normally I'd recommend checking out brazing your CPU cooler directly to your lid, but it obviously seems like you're not ready for that kind of commitment to computing if you're already using cheapout shortcuts like thermal paste.

I hope I'm not sounding too harsh, but you'd obviously benefit from lurking more because this is really basic stuff and I'm embarrassed for you.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

taqueso posted:

ryzen smoother? w/e

ryzen has an open computestage even more so if you delid it!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MikeC posted:

Get QVL RAM for Ryzen. The small premium you have to pay in money and time is worth it when you could end up being the guy fiddling with memory timings to get it stable.

Yup. The thing is you don't get to pick what version of Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM you get from whatever vendor you're ordering from online. So while the part number for the Vengeance LPX is on the QVL, you're basically playing the lottery when it comes to what version you end up with because of Corsair's aforementioned lovely inventory practices, unless you physically got to a Best Buy or Micro Center and ask the employees to look for the specific version of the LPX kit you need... which is dumb, and why I now won't recommend Corsair RAM for any potential Ryzen builders.

[edit]

Some Goon posted:

but the performance difference between 2933 and 3000 or even 3200 will be imperceptible in all circumstances, so I wouldn't worry about it.

While true, it sucks when you don't get exactly what you paid for.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 16, 2020

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

teagone posted:

Yup. The thing is you don't get to pick what version of Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM you get from whatever vendor you're ordering from online. So while the part number for the Vengeance LPX is on the QVL, you're basically playing the lottery when it comes to what version you end up with because of Corsair's aforementioned lovely inventory practices, unless you physically got to a Best Buy or Micro Center and ask the employees to look for the specific version of the LPX kit you need... which is dumb, and why I now won't recommend Corsair RAM for any potential Ryzen builders.
Yeah I bought two separate 2x8GB kits of the same part number of corsair RAM only to find out one kit was samsung and one kit was micron dies. My motherboard at the time didn't play well with this combo at rated XMP settings, but actually worked fine after I upgraded the motherboard :shrug:

But yeah I'm also avoiding corsair and sticking to crucial from now on.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Ha, Arctic Silver? Good luck with your CPU cooler creating micro cavities in the thermal compound in the 285kHz range. You're really limiting your 0.001% lows.

If you want to dampen the impacts of that without having to remount your cooler, you could hang these satchels filled with a specially compounded silicate that's designed for that very range.

Normally I'd recommend checking out brazing your CPU cooler directly to your lid, but it obviously seems like you're not ready for that kind of commitment to computing if you're already using cheapout shortcuts like thermal paste.

I hope I'm not sounding too harsh, but you'd obviously benefit from lurking more because this is really basic stuff and I'm embarrassed for you.

Brb, inventing computophile grade motherboard standoffs to isolate harmful mains noise from the motherboard and brighten the bits whilst removing jitter and noise from RAM slots, therefor solving RAM compatibility’s problems.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've been doing fine with G.skill but I got a full 32GB kit that was on my motherboard's QVL list. It clocked to 3200MHz with the XMP profile without a hiccup.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Looking at the list here, there appears to be one entry for

CMK16GX4M2B3000C15(Ver4.24) 2*8GB DS Hynix 15-17-17-35 1.35 3000 3000

If you didn't get that version, you are probably screwed, because of Corsair's lovely practices, like Teagone said.

I too, have been bitten by this, and as a result, am running a pair of 3200 sticks at 3000 instead.

Still kinda mad that its 2020 and I gotta look up exactly what ram will work on my motherboard.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

sincx posted:

try to buy crucial for Ryzen builds

it's generally around the same price as other brands, but you'll get micron e-die, which is very good for zen chips

I'm running 64 gb (4 dual-rank sticks) of cheap crucial ram (rated 3200 cl16) at 3733 mhz cl16, 1.4v.

I've been buying G. Skill for the last several years for both Intel and AMD builds and they are also great. Their Samsung B-Die kits are usually very affordable. I have a 16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 kit in my current 3600 build running at 3600MHz 14-15-14-28 no problem. I had managed to get it to run at 3800MHZ CL16 but my IF wouldn't clock past 1800MHz so I dropped it back down.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Regrettable posted:

I've been buying G. Skill for the last several years for both Intel and AMD builds and they are also great. Their Samsung B-Die kits are usually very affordable. I have a 16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 kit in my current 3600 build running at 3600MHz 14-15-14-28 no problem. I had managed to get it to run at 3800MHZ CL16 but my IF wouldn't clock past 1800MHz so I dropped it back down.

My previous AM3 desktop also had G.skill DD3 that has been perfectly fine. Started with an 8GB kit that might have been G.skill but I can't remember offhand, then went to a 16GB G.skill kit that was good. Not as finicky as AM4/Ryzen I don't think but still, it's been good RAM.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

E2M2 posted:

Still kinda mad that its 2020 and I gotta look up exactly what ram will work on my motherboard.

The only speeds on RAM guaranteed to work 100% anywhere anytime are their JEDEC specced speeds. XMP is really just a suggestion of how far they can be safely pushed to most of the time, but everyone markets this as if it was JEDEC.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Palladium posted:

The only speeds on RAM guaranteed to work 100% anywhere anytime are their JEDEC specced speeds. XMP is really just a suggestion of how far they can be safely pushed to most of the time, but everyone markets this as if it was JEDEC.

To be fair, it feels like XMP from Intel is a tighter standard than DOCP from AMD. I haven't heard of people not getting their timings on the newer Intel stuff though that simply could be they aren't moving large volumes so we don't hear about issues that don't occur.

Also if a RAM manufacturer is selling you RAM at rated speeds above JEDEC, they better deliver or you can refund it as a faulty product. Otherwise, they can't be segmenting their product stack like they are doing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MikeC posted:

To be fair, it feels like XMP from Intel is a tighter standard than DOCP from AMD.

XMP isn't a standard of quality, it's just some info on the ram module that tells the bios what speed settings to use. That's all the standard does. DOCP is the exact same thing, but XMP is trademarked so AMD doesn't call it that. Plenty of AMD mobos call it "XMP" in the BIOS of their AMD boards anyways.

The the memory maker can put whatever specs they want in their memory, there's no enforcement (other than reputational and cost to the store for returns) if it doesn't work. They say that such and such product is XMP 3600, and on most modules in the fine print somewhere it says "validated on Intel Core platform".

The difference is that Ryzen's memory controller sucks compared to Intel's, so memory makers choose Intel as the main platform to claim their validation. DDR-3600 memory that Ryzen can barely run, or can't run, will comfortably work on Intel, in a crap mobo, on a unshielded benchtop case sitting next to a shortwave ham radio set. The issue is 100% with Ryzen, which is why we look at QVLs.

If things change and with DDR5 the AMD memory controller is way better than Intel's, you'll start seeing "DDR5-6900 *Validated with AMD Ryzen 6" real quick. And there will be "for Intel" branded memory that's $10 more for the same spec.

But speaking of reputational damage, I've stopped putting Corsair memory on AMD builds in the PC build thread because of their version shenanigans. Selling DDR-3600 that can't run on Ryzen is fine, that's our lookout. Selling a product where you can't tell whether it is QVL or not is not fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
QVL is just whatever their validation group did interop with, and it would be impossible to do all options.

It would be interesting to know what failed interop but that’d never be made public outside of select customers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

E2M2 posted:

You don't HAVE to. QVL lists are the same thing as you going on to the internet and googling if X memory kit will work with Y motherboard and Z processor, it's just already compiled into a list and hosted by the motherboard manufacturer.

Either way, don't buy Corsair for memory. (I actually think you shouldn't buy Corsair for ANYTHING at this point, see my earlier posts about the loving power supply that shat itself before the warranty was out and was replaced by a Seasonic unit almost ten years old by this point without a hiccup.)

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You shouldn't buy Corsair for ANYTHING at this point, see my earlier posts about the loving power supply that shat itself before the warranty was out and was replaced by a Seasonic unit almost ten years old by this point without a hiccup.)
Same, I got a Corsair RM650x, 650W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified for Covid pricing a few weeks ago, since mine was pretty old, it was DOA, I RMA'd it and my old Seasonic was 750 watt and still in the 10 year warranty so I'll wait it out another year.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SwissArmyDruid posted:

(I actually think you shouldn't buy Corsair for ANYTHING at this point, see my earlier posts about the loving power supply that shat itself before the warranty was out and was replaced by a Seasonic unit almost ten years old by this point without a hiccup.)

This is actually rather sad, because I used to view Corsair as great for reliable memory and PSUs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I still think Corsair PSUs in particular are a good & reliable brand. I think there's been a spate of higher DOA rates across the board for everything from pandemic disruption -- in the PC build thread there's been more reports of that for mobos, ram, and all sorts of things.

OTOH Corsair overall isn't my favorite for non-PSU gear, as I think they do a lot of premium brand positioning without always backing it up. I have a corsair case that I got for my old parts / guest PC, which was very much Corsair's version of the Fractal Define C (very compact ATX). I was kinda disappointed with it in comparison with fractal cases I built for other people, in a lot of the small details. Bulky and awkward plastic PSU shroud (but also removable, so I threw it away). Crap drive sleds. Dust filter behind an over-stiff front panel that broke one of the plastic tabs trying to get it off. It was on sale for a fair shake cheaper than the Define, but normal prices were the same.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Corsair SFF PSU's are legit good, and have a decent cable selection from the manuf, even if it is a PITA to navigate compatibility (because PSU + i have a tiny brain).

I just use Gskill for RAM. I only deviate away if they don't have something in particular I want.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We buy a lot of PSUs for work and used to get corsairs and moved to the full modular evgas.

Fun fact, you can plug the modular pcie cables in to either supply (keyed the same on the psu side) while the 12V and Gnd pins on the output side are flipped! Lol.

I have a lot of corsair gear, I like their mechanical keyboards, they were a really good price point for a while. Might be better options now though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

priznat posted:

Fun fact, you can plug the modular pcie cables in to either supply (keyed the same on the psu side) while the 12V and Gnd pins on the output side are flipped! Lol.

Nice. I've got a bunch of unmarked modular cables, this prompts me to just throw them all out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Nice. I've got a bunch of unmarked modular cables, this prompts me to just throw them all out.

You.. you could just use a multimeter and spend 10 seconds confirming if the pins are proper or not.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You absolutely should. Modular PSU cables don't have consistent pinouts between manufacturers or even sometimes between product lines of the same manufacturer. Using the wrong one will damage something.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ratbert90 posted:

You.. you could just use a multimeter and spend 10 seconds confirming if the pins are proper or not.

I actually just did this. Looks like none of them are compatible with any PSU I currently have!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I actually just did this. Looks like none of them are compatible with any PSU I currently have!

Awesome! Now you can throw them out without ever wondering!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah always always check.

In our case it wasn’t too bad because the evga ones were braided cables and the corsair were the flat plastic coated ones so it was easy to spot them once you knew.

But that first plugin, lol (blew up a diode with a flash but otherwise the board survived)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I got an all-caps warning about modular cables put into the OP of the pcbuild thread, but in retrospect I should have made a giant 50pt blingee sparkle text gif for the warning so even fast skimmers would see it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Same, I got a Corsair RM650x, 650W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified for Covid pricing a few weeks ago, since mine was pretty old, it was DOA, I RMA'd it and my old Seasonic was 750 watt and still in the 10 year warranty so I'll wait it out another year.

It's not even a COVID thing, the PSU had been in this computer that I'm presently running just fine for almost three years. The only change made was that I bumped the card from a 1050 ti (bus-powered) to a 1660 ti (single 6-pin) which would make the power supply crap itself after about half an hour under a moderate load (I hesitate to call FFXIV a "heavy" load, under any circumstances), or just about as I'm running up on the final boss of a dungeon in FFXIV, thus entirely obviating the point of running the dungeon in the first place. (Rewards are backloaded.)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

From Hot Chips, AnandTech covering some of the APU stuff coming out in more detail now. X-post GPU thread for obvious reasons.

Interesting situation with the new consoles being more or less contemporaneous with the state-of-the-art for PC gaming — Zen2 cores, plus fixed-function accelerators for audio, storage and other functions. Wondering how games will map to PC levels of performance offered; would a current-gen Threadripper with its extra cores make up for the HW accelerated audio processing and storage decompression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

God please yes and no for Threadripper on gaming.

Su-bmit and face to bloodshed.