Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Salisbury Snape posted:

Most of the servers I've played on have the custom recipes turned off, so I've never really used them, apparently they used to be mega op and could sate your water, food, health and stamina. Maybe it's been adjusted, but I also have no idea how much effort it was to craft.

They still are pretty hilariously broken. The raw meat and water ones, with a max level max craft would give you like 50 HP, 100 food and water, for like 10 or 12 raw meat and water in an industrial cooker. It was like peak lazy mode, empty giga into cooker, wait, profit.

If you used fancier stuff, you could get food that gave you like a permanent regenerative effect, because it tried to slowly heal you for like 700 hp, and as long as it never hit full, it would just tick up forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
10 meat + 10 element dust on max craft will give you like +700 hp/stam/food but im not sure if it ticks away forever anymore, it seems like when you max out it stops ticking?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

bus hustler posted:

10 meat + 10 element dust on max craft will give you like +700 hp/stam/food but im not sure if it ticks away forever anymore, it seems like when you max out it stops ticking?

What about regular craft? I've not put any points into crafting, but that sounds dope as gently caress. In other news, Rock Drakes are Uber Awesome.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

What about regular craft? I've not put any points into crafting, but that sounds dope as gently caress. In other news, Rock Drakes are Uber Awesome.

Rock Drakes are my Genesis MVP. Normally on Aberration I just fly around in a tek suit, but without that option on Gen, climby glidy rock drake is the best bet.

They suck for fighting though. At least compared to more traditional fighting tames.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Warmachine posted:

Rock Drakes are my Genesis MVP. Normally on Aberration I just fly around in a tek suit, but without that option on Gen, climby glidy rock drake is the best bet.

They suck for fighting though. At least compared to more traditional fighting tames.

Really? Because my Drake just murders EVERYTHING in about 2-3 bites. Only tame that does more damage is my Lightning Wyvern.

Edit: Could be right though since my Spino also does a lot of dps.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 17, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Really? Because my Drake just murders EVERYTHING in about 2-3 bites. Only tame that does more damage is my Lightning Wyvern.

Edit: Could be right though since my Spino also does a lot of dps.

I've found rexes have bigger bites for the speed, and things like spinos are quicker for nearly the same damage. The drake's animation takes so long that I'm pretty sure just about any of my fightman dinos (Rexes, Theris, Velonasaur, and Deinon) will outbid it in a DPS race.

A big part of this is the same problem wyverns have: you can't get bonus levels from taming efficiency. Either way, the drake does its job for me--crazy taxi.

BRB painting my drake yellow and black.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
IS there a way to make your auto turrets come back online automatically after an electrical storm? I'm having to go around and turn them back on manually every time and it's annoying.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Loiku posted:

IS there a way to make your auto turrets come back online automatically after an electrical storm? I'm having to go around and turn them back on manually every time and it's annoying.

Not automatically afaik but the offline guard system structure from the workshop mod has a neat feature that lets you turn off or on every turret within the shields radius.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
That's very useful to know, saves a lot of time. Are the liquefied indominus rexes able to breed or get mate boost bonuses? When I see them in the desert they have N/A for their gender.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Nah, they can't mate boost. breed or be imprinted as a balancing measure, they are pretty drat nasty even without those bonuses.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Goons Ruin Everything - Server Update

Ragnarok
steam://connect/104.192.226.130:27039
Discord: https://discord.gg/uaPn6z6

First the past few weeks I've been hosting a goon Ragnarok server, testing out different settings and mods. As of today, it's pretty much done in terms of gameplay configuration! Here's a list of what I've changed or added:

• All creatures from all DLC have been added to the map, some with custom-placed spawn areas and others that can spawn anywhere in the world. Nobody needs any of the DLC to fully enjoy the server.
  • All engrams from all DLC have been enabled, engrams are unlocked automatically as you level and you no longer have to worry about engram points.
  • Maximum player level is 150, before any bonus ascension levels or chibi pets. Dinos can receive up to 150 additional levels.
  • Orbital Supply Drops and Element Veins from Extinction can be found in various fixed locations. Creatures spawned by these events are cleaned up after it ends, and any stray ones are marked with a bright beacon to make cleanup easier.
  • Exotic creatures from the Crystal Isles Extension mod have been added to various locations around the map. The formerly empty and barren southeastern desert is now overrun with terrifying ethereal apex predators, the narrow cliffs and mesas to it's west contain crystallised versions of existing creatures, and the volcano hosts three unique fire-themed creatures.
  • Certain rarely-visited caves and dungeons are now home to alpha-level boss creatures guarding high level red loot containers.
  • Rarely, creatures with a much higher level cap than usual can spawn and be tameable.
  • Dozens of totally-new creatures from 2 mods, plus some significant quality of life improvements for many of the less-used creatures.
  • Hand-placed Gas, Water and Oil Veins in more convenient locations.
  • Obelisk terminals located throughout the world, not just at the Obelisks themselves
  • All materials and resources from Abberation, Extinction and Genesis can be found around the map, including small Element nodes.

Plus a slew of other small fixes and additions.

Also, I'm now hosting two additional custom maps in a cluster with Ragnarok. These maps are regularly updated and are pretty high quality. Once again, free maps so no DLC is required:

Hope

steam://connect/103.214.108.12:27043

quote:

The map has all of the dino's from The Island,SE and Aberration. Set in a slightly fantasy style with high detailed biome's to explore. Infusing all 3 expansions onto one map ! with plenty of great building areas for either large,small or solo tribes. Overseer and Rockwell end bosses offer end game play, giving you a complete ark experience.

Olympus

steam://connect/103.214.108.12:27047

quote:

Welcome to Olympus, once home to the mighty gods of old. It has been many years since they ruled over this world, and time has not been kind. Explore the wilds of this once great civilization, discover its secrets, and see if you have what it takes to ascend and stand as equals with those who came before!

Olympus is designed to be a more scifi feeling ARK. Due to years of neglect, several areas of once hidden advanced technology are visible and some has even taken on a life of its own. I wanted to try and create a blend of nature and machine to make a unique and different experience.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
:siren:Hidana Cave Castle Raid Event:siren:

Raid Castle Event is officially live!

Important information:
Location - Hidana Cave (co-ords 45,32)

Outside the main entrance:

Outside the rear entrance:

Inside the cave:

The castle:

The vault within:

Break into the fortress found deep within the cave, reach the castle and destroy the tek shield generator located inside, protecting the ultimate goal - A vault teeming with extremely good blueprints, tek gear and items, cryopodded special unique creatures with higher than max level caps and more. Within the cave you will find towers, houses and huts. These contain lootcrates, and a few of the towers contain the tek generators powering the defences. These should be your priority before approaching the castle. The creatures defending the cave are extremely powerful - expect a tough fight! They are wearing mastercraft/ascendant saddles, and the turrets have a lot of ammo inside them, so don't forget to loot them after you destroy them.

There is no time limit or event end date - once it has been stripped bare, the event ends. Anyone can participate, and feel free to band together to improve your chances.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

nightwisher posted:

:siren:Hidana Cave Castle Raid Event:siren:

Raid Castle Event is officially live!

Important information:
Location - Hidana Cave (co-ords 45,32)

Outside the main entrance:

Outside the rear entrance:

Inside the cave:

The castle:

The vault within:

Break into the fortress found deep within the cave, reach the castle and destroy the tek shield generator located inside, protecting the ultimate goal - A vault teeming with extremely good blueprints, tek gear and items, cryopodded special unique creatures with higher than max level caps and more. Within the cave you will find towers, houses and huts. These contain lootcrates, and a few of the towers contain the tek generators powering the defences. These should be your priority before approaching the castle. The creatures defending the cave are extremely powerful - expect a tough fight! They are wearing mastercraft/ascendant saddles, and the turrets have a lot of ammo inside them, so don't forget to loot them after you destroy them.

There is no time limit or event end date - once it has been stripped bare, the event ends. Anyone can participate, and feel free to band together to improve your chances.

Ok, this is some real effort.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Seriously, that's loving amazing.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Ark's currently on sale on Steam for 80% off, so for anyone who's been wanting to pick it up cheap, now's the time. If you want to play on the goon server, all you need is the base game for 10bux, however the explorers edition is a pretty nice purchase as well, giving you the first 3 dlc as well for an extremely cheap price.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I play on Windows 10, so no mods. I'm on Valguero and these days I can pretty reliably beat the gamma bosses, so I want to give the betas a try. My rexes all have like 300% damage and 16000 hp, so not even close to enough. I want to breed some new tougher rexes, get some mutations, but I have to hatch like 25 eggs to get one mutant. Is this really the best way to get beta-boss-quality rexes? Also, is there an easy way to tell which stat is mutated? I really wish I was on steam, I know there are great breeding mods, but sadly I'm stuck on Win10.

As a side now, I'm considering switching maps since Valguero has been fully explored. Does anyone else rent server space from Nitrado? Do you know the best way to switch maps while saving all your structures and dinos on your old map, so you can come back to it?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I play on Windows 10, so no mods. I'm on Valguero and these days I can pretty reliably beat the gamma bosses, so I want to give the betas a try. My rexes all have like 300% damage and 16000 hp, so not even close to enough. I want to breed some new tougher rexes, get some mutations, but I have to hatch like 25 eggs to get one mutant. Is this really the best way to get beta-boss-quality rexes? Also, is there an easy way to tell which stat is mutated? I really wish I was on steam, I know there are great breeding mods, but sadly I'm stuck on Win10.

As a side now, I'm considering switching maps since Valguero has been fully explored. Does anyone else rent server space from Nitrado? Do you know the best way to switch maps while saving all your structures and dinos on your old map, so you can come back to it?

Yeah without mods you're just going to have to hatch a shitzillion rexes and slowly build up a mutation line. You can adjust rates so that breeding and maturing new dinos is fast, but it's still going to be a slog.

I'm not sure 100% how Nitrado works but changing maps is as simple as changing the console-line launch command to pick a different map, your existing maps are saved wholly so there's no issue switching to and from. You'll need multiple servers in a cluster if you wish to run more than one map concurrently. Nitrado is pretty expensive in my opinion compared to other hosts, if you do decide to go down the server cluster route there's some pretty cheap, competitive options out there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

You can also go and try to hunt for high stats. On vanilla, you really want to be starting your mutation lines with lots of wild levels in melee and HP because of how big of a pain in the dick it is. You might even be able to get away with just finding some high wild stats in HP, Stam, and Damage, mashing them together, and throwing a good saddle on it.

Problem with unmodded Ark is that even with favorable multipliers, time is still not on your side.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

You can cheese a giga into most boss arenas if you so want.
Leave enough space around the terminal for a giga to pop out of cryo and yeet it down when the timer ticks from 1 to 0
It makes alpha ragnarok boss a breeze since the giga can run around munching golems and keep your rexes unpinned to munch the dragon and manticore when they land.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

nightwisher posted:

Nitrado is pretty expensive in my opinion compared to other hosts, if you do decide to go down the server cluster route there's some pretty cheap, competitive options out there.

Any specific recommendations for other hosts?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

so I can access Nitrado via ftp to download a backup file (and I have a shitload of HDD space so that's not a problem), and that'll let me swap to Crystal Isles. Nice. My next question is: to anyone who's done this, what stuff gets saved? I assume bases, dinos in bases, items in bases etc. Characters? Items on characters? Not sure.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Traxus IV posted:

Any specific recommendations for other hosts?

HostHavoc I've been using for years now, 15usd for a 30 slot server with dedicated hardware, extremely fast ticket response times and 100% uptime. TCafmin control panel as standard. Clustering is free and they have US, EU and AU server locations.

ark servers.io is another good pick for 16usd per month, their server config is custom written and easily allows you to change every possible variable in a simple GUI, mod installation is an absolute breeze and in general thier control panel is miles ahead of TCadmin. They also have an 8-hour free trial, after that you can choose to rent a server to continue playing.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 6, 2020

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

so I can access Nitrado via ftp to download a backup file (and I have a shitload of HDD space so that's not a problem), and that'll let me swap to Crystal Isles. Nice. My next question is: to anyone who's done this, what stuff gets saved? I assume bases, dinos in bases, items in bases etc. Characters? Items on characters? Not sure.

Everything on the map is saved to the maps own save file. Characters are separate to map data so they are usable no matter the map and retain their inventory, stats and exp. Switching maps in a server context is practically identical to switching maps in single player. Unless Nitrado do something different, it should work fine.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Salisbury Snape posted:

You can cheese a giga into most boss arenas if you so want.
Leave enough space around the terminal for a giga to pop out of cryo and yeet it down when the timer ticks from 1 to 0
It makes alpha ragnarok boss a breeze since the giga can run around munching golems and keep your rexes unpinned to munch the dragon and manticore when they land.

Yeah I've done this on official

E: saddle is still important!!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Does it still respect the tame number limit? Or can you do 20 rexes + 1 giga for instance?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

nightwisher posted:

good poo poo

Thank you! That's a huge help, I'll check them out

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I've not tested the tame limit, I just play on the side of caution and take 19 tames leaving the extra slot for the giga if it gets through.
I always run the best shotgun I've got to smack the manticore anyway. Generally off the back of a yuti with some movement speed since they are fast as gently caress and can just peg it around the arena with impunity buffing the rexes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So after two failed attempts at soloing Rockwell because I have poo poo situational awareness of the orbs, I press-ganged 3 other people from my cluster to help out, and boy howdy do extra bodies make that fight easy. Two of them on orb duty, two of us on tentacle duty, and 12 megalosaurus on Rockwell himself. No casualties, only a couple points of armor damage, and some alpha ascensions all around.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
So yeah. Dino Storage v2 is impossibly OP. Just died doing something stupid un the Lava Cave with my one Rock Drake when we fell in the lava she was likely gonna die. I just used admin soul recovery and BAM, back like nothing. I had already known this would work since I did it before when I lost a Bulbdog on a mountain in Valguero(found her afterwards) and it also works as a "Dino Dupe".

Edit: Got there in time so now I have two Rock Drakes.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 26, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

So yeah. Dino Storage v2 is impossibly OP. Just died doing something stupid un the Lava Cave with my one Rock Drake when we fell in the lava she was likely gonna die. I just used admin soul recovery and BAM, back like nothing. I had already known this would work since I did it before when I lost a Bulbdog on a mountain in Valguero(found her afterwards) and it also works as a "Dino Dupe".

Edit: Got there in time so now I have two Rock Drakes.

You can disable that via INI. Or at least, I think you can. I know it's not an option on my cluster.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Warmachine posted:

You can disable that via INI. Or at least, I think you can. I know it's not an option on my cluster.

...I think I'll leave it on. No loving way am I gonna spend hundreds of hours on a breeding program to take on the bosses even with my boosted numbers when I just "clone" my tames. Also, losing any of them breaks my heart so there's that too. I did lose one of my REALLY good ghillie suits though which sucked. Funny thing about the Rock Drake is that she was swimming in the lava and taking damage obviously so in the time it took me to fly over there with the duped Drake and get to her, she had only lost something like a 1/3 of her of her HP, definitely less than half by the time I managed to get her out due to the MASSIVE health pool she had.

To allow it, you just need to give yourself admin privileges. At least that's how I recall it working for me on ASM.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I'm really enjoying Kraken's Better Dinos. I tamed some piranhas, and they get a +8 pack bonus. It's great! The gigantopithecus hits hard as hell, even with a lovely sword. I'm working on breeding an army of them right now. Their exploding barrels are hilarious.

Someone made some Game.ini changes that allow you to make alphas drop saddles from the mod. They mostly drop chibis, but they also drop a saddle every now and then. Note that it doesn't work through ARK Server Manager, but you can paste right into your Game.ini file and it'll work. https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1565015734/2281582783357683849/

There's also a great guide to Dino Storage v2 here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1822824970

You can enable automation, so dinos in the terminals generate their resources passively. It even worked with Kraken's Better Dinos. My eurypterids give me silica pearls and black pearls.

Now I'm trying to see if there's a better beacons equivalent for alphas. It'd be nice if they were capable of dropping all gear.

How do I make the Game.ini changes to Alpha saddle drops?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Just note that if you're using nitrado for an Xbox cross play server you can't transfer dinos back to a pc dedicated host, or access any of the files. I was trying to roll everything back to my own pc hosted server but you can't cluster it, and supposedly Microsoft won't let nitrado hand out the save data.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Man this game is really loving good.

Started playing a week or two ago with 2 of my buddies. We’re on our 4th base or so on the valguero Xbox/pc cross play server. Two assholes showed up with rocket launchers and just demolished our base.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The last I played was handful of years ago, and the only content was training dinos for raiding, and then going raiding. There was no real end game for pve, does this game still have no end game for PvE?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

The last I played was handful of years ago, and the only content was training dinos for raiding, and then going raiding. There was no real end game for pve, does this game still have no end game for PvE?

Bosses and caves still.

PvE is basically a fancy base building simulator.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah that’s what I’m having fun with. The added bonus of people being able to just destroy your poo poo and make you relocate is annoying but gives it that fun sense of danger.

I’m still having fun smashing raptors with my sword though. I got a lot of game left to see I think.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Harton posted:

Yeah that’s what I’m having fun with. The added bonus of people being able to just destroy your poo poo and make you relocate is annoying but gives it that fun sense of danger.

I’m still having fun smashing raptors with my sword though. I got a lot of game left to see I think.

There's a section of cave you can build a nice little base in the Emerald Forest area in Valguero. Area also has some pretty interesting resources though I can't recall if they're there in Vanilla or if my mod added them in(Valguero got trimmed when it was made official).

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

We’re setup on a tall hill near beach spawn 2. It’s got a waterfall running underneath and it’s working ok so far. We’ve built it up enough that we’re probably gonna stick it out here until somebody chases us away.

Anyone else getting dropped from the server every 30 min since Turkey Time started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

doomrider7 posted:

There's a section of cave you can build a nice little base in the Emerald Forest area in Valguero. Area also has some pretty interesting resources though I can't recall if they're there in Vanilla or if my mod added them in(Valguero got trimmed when it was made official).

I'm not sure where the 6x structure damage multiplier stops in that cave entrance, I thought it extended until it opened up just past where you are talking about but I may be wrong.

On one PvP Val server I built up on a flat section on the edge of the map south of the swamp area right against the map border wall. People only saw it if they could fly and were looking at the ridge.