Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Etuni posted:

I still have it, going to cancel it next week after I finish transferring all my subscriptions and auto-payments, and pay myself back the last of my UR points. That feature has definitely been super helpful!

Yeah, I like it a lot. I'd honestly recommend changing the CSP into a regular Freedom if you've already have signed up for the Freedom Unlimited; then you'd have more (rotating) 5% categories available (this quarter is still Amazon and Whole Foods). If you already had a Freedom, you could alternatively product change it into a no-annual-fee, 3% foreign transaction fee, "Sapphire" card with 2x dining.

Another bonus of the product change is keeping all its credit history rather than having it drop off your report in several years. I'd be surprised if lenders didn't continue tightening up or tighten up even further, so I'd be reluctant to close something at this point.

e: I also read more people were targeted for those bill payment bonuses, so make sure to check it out again if you weren't targeted before and didn't get a bill payments promo email already!
https://www.chase.com/mybonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Citi Double just added 5% bonus categories - I got an email with "click here to activate", so I don't know if it's for everyone or not

quote:

You already earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% as you buy and 1% as you pay. Now for a limited time, enroll in this special offer and earn an additional 5% cash back, up to $25, on eligible purchasesą you make at:

Restaurants: including takeout meals and curbside pickup orders
Grocery stores: including curbside pickup and online delivery
Gas Stations
Drugstores: including prescription orders made online
Mass Transit & Commuter Transportation Vendors

To enjoy this special offer, sign up by 09/30/2020.

Good times

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

MorrisBae posted:

Citi Double just added 5% bonus categories - I got an email with "click here to activate", so I don't know if it's for everyone or not

targeted offer

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I got a Chase Freedom Unlimited a few months back, am I able to get the 5% groceries bonus? If so, do I need to request it somehow or is it automatically applied?

Also, bumping my post from the last page if anyone has any recommendations:

literally this big posted:

Hello goons, I'm looking for recommendations for cashback cards or current sign-up bonuses.

I'd appreciate a bit of help figuring out what my next step should be now that I've got the basics taken care of, and I've got a solid financial / credit foundation to build off of.

-Current cards: Logix FCU Rewards (1.5% flat, excellent credit union), Citi Costco, Target Red, Chase FU.
-Credit score: 788 (according to Credit Karma)

Logix is my primary card, a flat 1.5% back and Logix has always treated me well. Costco is for all my gas (4%), restaurant & travel (3%, though I never really use this), and Costco purchases (2%). Target card offers a nice 5% back there. Between these, I feel like I've got all my bases covered, and I'm not sure if there's much else to be considering. I'm currently using the Chase FU for the $200 SUB, but plan to go back to Logix when that's used up.

I've applied for the Citi Double Cash, but they've sent me requests for my 2019 tax info. I had lots of investment income but very little earned income for 2019, so I don't want to send that in (don't want it to potentially effect my Costco card either), but I've earned plenty of money in 2020, so I feel good about my chances next year. I'm also considering the Fidelity 2%. 2% seems to be the best $0AF flat cashback rate one can get at the moment, is that the case?

I'm interested in a no-AF card that actually adds something to my portfolio. The Citi DC seems to be the best no-AF flat cashback card out there. Not too interested in dealing with rotating categories across multiple cards, or splitting up my cashback rewards across too many accounts. I feel like the only reason to apply for a new card right now would be either a great SUB or to boost my credit limit, though I'd love to be proven wrong here. I'm fine with chasing SUBs if that's my best bet, but I'd need to finish up the CFU SUB before I move on to something else.

So far I've considered the Chase Freedom and Amex's $0AF cards.

The Chase Freedom would probably be easy to get, but I'm completely uninterested in tracking rotating categories, having to activate categories, or tailor my spending to that quarter's bonuses, so I don't think I'd ever carry the card on me or use it regularly. I'm also not too interested in navigating Chase's Ultimate Reward environment, as I don't do much traveling and I plan to stop using the CFU after earning the bonus. It could still be worth it for the credit limit increase or SUB, though. Speaking of, if I'm currently working on the CFU's SUB, would that exclude me from also getting the CF's SUB? Are they both obtainable, or mutually exclusive?

Amex also has some great SUBs that caught my attention, but none of their $0AF cards seem to offer much beyond what I currently have. The Blue Cash Everyday card has a real nice SUB, but the 3% on groceries is the only real advantage it has over the Citi DC, and I already have Costco and Target cards for most of my groceries. The Amex EveryDay card offers Membership Rewards Points, how do those function?

Many thanks.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

I got a Chase Freedom Unlimited a few months back, am I able to get the 5% groceries bonus? If so, do I need to request it somehow or is it automatically applied?

Also, bumping my post from the last page if anyone has any recommendations:

I used the secure message thing to ask them if I could get the 5% on groceries added to my card that I opened about a week before they started the promotion. They said the benefit would be added to my card after two weeks and they'd credit all my grocery purchases that took place during the promo period.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Just got a (targeted I assume) offer from Chase for my Amazon card.

Fine print doesn't mention a dollar limit on rewards. So that's nice, will definitely be replacing my Citi Doublecash (fallback card) and Barclay's Uber* spend until next February.

*3% on dining. Pending what happens with Uber this year, it may be dead and/or have unusable rewards anyway. Barclay's has "temporarily" stopped taking applications “in light of current market conditions.” 

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Uber was done when they killed off cash back this year and converted all your spend to Uber credits. I haven’t used the card since.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oh yeah I agree, I cashed out right before the switch. At the time I kept it just for dining because I figured it was a decent-enough return that I'd eventually use, back when traveling was a thing and I used Uber a few times per year.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I cancelled the Uber card when they announced the change. I didn't really have any much use for Uber Bucks then, and certainly have little use for Uber Bucks now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I keep it around for the phone insurance. I've used it a few times and it's worth it. I just pay my phone bill on it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Not credit cards, but I did a little manufactured spending to hit minimum spends on various credit cards and I am sitting on gift cards for Delta, Southwest, AMC and Airbnb. All companies on the verge of bankruptcy in 2020. So, if they do go under, what do I do about recovering my gift card value? Obviously, I'm not flying anywhere or staying in an Airbnb anytime soon, and AMCs will stay closed here in SoCal for a long time. Am I screwed if they go under?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
It depends on how the bankruptcy proceeds. This page describes some past outcomes but it hasn't been updated during the pandemic. It's possible, for example, that the company's operating name is purchased and continues in business but the gift cards stay in bankruptcy court.

Delta and Southwest have online merch stores that I assume will take the cards. AMC seems to have one too, but I can't figure out how to get in.

e: To be clear, a company will usually arrange to continue redeeming gift cards during the first phase of bankruptcy. You can search for the company here and look for something like an "order to maintain customer programs" to find out what the terms are.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 14, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

silence_kit posted:

I cancelled the Uber card when they announced the change. I didn't really have any much use for Uber Bucks then, and certainly have little use for Uber Bucks now.

Mine lives in our security box now with the other misfit cards.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Has anyone ever heard of site/service called Experian?

Saw an ad for this the other day that talked about it being able to boost your credit score to be meet the requirements for credit cards you're not able to apply for. Since i'm basically trapped in the 'score too low-->only secured card' limbo, this sounds too good to be true, but i'm almost certain there's a catch to this all. Any thoughts on this?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Experian is one of the three major credit reporting agencies, along with Equifax and TransUnion. See if you can find that ad and post it here.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I have a free account with Experian so they send me credit monitoring reports. The "boost" feature they're advertising looks to be for the new/alternative Fico scoring method which takes into account on time bill payments for things like utilities. You need to grant them access to your bank account transactions for it to work.
I haven't seen news about the "new" fico scoring method for a while but I think few if any credit card companies use it so the effect would probably be minimal.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Experian is one of the three major credit reporting agencies, along with Equifax and TransUnion. See if you can find that ad and post it here.

Managed to track it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rGpotMRwbs

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What THF13 said.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Funnily enough, I tried the Boost feature the other day on my account with Experian.

I attached my bank account and it found my electric bill payments that are taken automatically and have never been missed.

It lowered my score with them by 30+ points.

Good feature, will use again!!1

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ah darn, well at least it was worth a shot!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Parrotine posted:

Has anyone ever heard of site/service called Experian?

Saw an ad for this the other day that talked about it being able to boost your credit score to be meet the requirements for credit cards you're not able to apply for. Since i'm basically trapped in the 'score too low-->only secured card' limbo, this sounds too good to be true, but i'm almost certain there's a catch to this all. Any thoughts on this?

The catch is that they really, really want access to your detailed spending data, and they think that "improving your credit score" is enough of a carrot that you'll hand over your bank account credentials. Of course, they'll also try to upsell you to the various consumer credit monitoring services they sell, too.

The information they collect apparently feeds into FICO 8, 9, and recent VantageScore models - as long as that score is calculated with Experian data. I think it just treats utility bills as a revolving credit account up to two years old.

I wouldn't do it, but I'm saying that as someone who already has a solid credit score. If you really need access to credit, it's possible that it's worth it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My friend needs a balance transfer card to help pay down her credit amount.

Is there a good one out right now? One of her cards has quite a lot, and my ex had some good luck paying it down that way

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Cow Bell posted:

I used the secure message thing to ask them if I could get the 5% on groceries added to my card that I opened about a week before they started the promotion. They said the benefit would be added to my card after two weeks and they'd credit all my grocery purchases that took place during the promo period.

I sent them a secured message, and they said they applied the 5% bonus to my card as well. But is there any way I can actually see the bonus on my account in some way to confirm, or do I just have to take their word for it?

I also applied for the US Bank Cash+ card. I'm loathe to gently caress around with having to activate certain categories on cards, but the straight 5% back on all utilities and regular bills seems too good to pass up (compared to the 1.5% I'm currently getting on them with my everyday card), and the category selection rules seem generous enough (categories must be selected every quarter, but can be selected up to 45 days in advance).

I'm also considering the Affinity Cash Rewards Visa (5% on Amazon) and either the Fidelity Rewards or the SDFCU Premium Cashback+ for a flat 2% cashback on everything to round out my card portfolio. Also wondering if I should upgrade from a 4% gas card to a 5% gas card, as gas is such a regular and consistent purchase.

If anyone has any recommendations on these cards, or recommendations for other ones, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

I'm also considering the Affinity Cash Rewards Visa (5% on Amazon)

Why not just get the Amazon Prime Rewards Chase card? No Prime?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a good one out right now? One of her cards has quite a lot, and my ex had some good luck paying it down that way

If she has solid credit, the Citi Double Cash actually has some very good balance transfer offers. 0% for 18 months and a reasonable transfer fee.

The catches:

-She can't use it for any ordinary purchases until she has gotten rid of the transferred balance and get back into a grace period. It's a rewards card, so the interest isn't great, and carrying a transferred balance means she won't get grace period interest on purchases.

- She absolutely has to have a clear plan and discipline to zero the balance within the 0% transfer interest window. Again, it's a rewards card, so the interest is brutal. It's very easy to dig a deeper hole with 0% balance transfers. There's a reason Citi is offering these deals: it's because they are betting their customers will fail at clearing their balances. She shouldn't take the other side of that bet unless she has good reasons to be certain she'll win.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

madsushi posted:

Why not just get the Amazon Prime Rewards Chase card? No Prime?

Nope, no Prime membership. I don't really use Amazon enough to consider it worth it, but a flat 5% cashback on everything seems very nice, similar to the Target Red Card.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Does anyone know if BoA will let you product change into a rewards card?

Turns out my wife has a vanilla card (and annual fee) with them that is her oldest line of credit. So moving to pretty much anything else would be a step up.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

I sent them a secured message, and they said they applied the 5% bonus to my card as well. But is there any way I can actually see the bonus on my account in some way to confirm, or do I just have to take their word for it?

I'm honestly not sure. I figured it would apply after this month's statement processed, which hasn't happened for me yet. If it doesn't apply then I was going to make a fuss, but I think we're going on the honor system for now.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Apple Card now reports to Equifax. It raised my FICO score with them about 20 points.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Covid really dried up most of the good 0%/$0 fee cards but First Tech Fed's Choice Rewards card still has the 12-month 0% offer and never has a fee. Also has a $10K minimum limit if approved, which is nice. Probably need to have a checking or savings account with them, but it's worth opening for the offer.

Another option would be to call Discover if they have a card with them and ask if they have any retention offers available. They offered me a permanent APR reduction, 12 mo. 0% APR on purchases, or 12 mo. 0% APR on Balance Transfer with no fee when I asked a few years ago.

I'll be calling Discover again in November after my First Tech period nears its end if there aren't any new offers popping up.

Keep an eye on AMEX and BofA, they've had offers in the past.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

I''m also considering the Affinity Cash Rewards Visa (5% on Amazon) and either the Fidelity Rewards or the SDFCU Premium Cashback+ for a flat 2% cashback on everything to round out my card portfolio. Also wondering if I should upgrade from a 4% gas card to a 5% gas card, as gas is such a regular and consistent purchase.

If anyone has any recommendations on these cards, or recommendations for other ones, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

I like my SDFCU card, that said, it takes a couple of days for charges to post and you have to have a bank account with them, but it fits my needs and those things don't really bother me. It's my go-to, all-purpose cash back card.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Space Gopher posted:

If she has solid credit, the Citi Double Cash actually has some very good balance transfer offers. 0% for 18 months and a reasonable transfer fee.

The catches:

-She can't use it for any ordinary purchases until she has gotten rid of the transferred balance and get back into a grace period. It's a rewards card, so the interest isn't great, and carrying a transferred balance means she won't get grace period interest on purchases.

- She absolutely has to have a clear plan and discipline to zero the balance within the 0% transfer interest window. Again, it's a rewards card, so the interest is brutal. It's very easy to dig a deeper hole with 0% balance transfers. There's a reason Citi is offering these deals: it's because they are betting their customers will fail at clearing their balances. She shouldn't take the other side of that bet unless she has good reasons to be certain she'll win.

Why do people recommend the citi card over the paypal one which is 2% w/o any oddball conditions?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Space Gopher posted:

The catch is that they really, really want access to your detailed spending data, and they think that "improving your credit score" is enough of a carrot that you'll hand over your bank account credentials. Of course, they'll also try to upsell you to the various consumer credit monitoring services they sell, too.

The information they collect apparently feeds into FICO 8, 9, and recent VantageScore models - as long as that score is calculated with Experian data. I think it just treats utility bills as a revolving credit account up to two years old.

I wouldn't do it, but I'm saying that as someone who already has a solid credit score. If you really need access to credit, it's possible that it's worth it.

Experian is one of the three major bureaus. They are legit. It will raise _a_ score but not necessarily the score that lenders use

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

Why do people recommend the citi card over the paypal one which is 2% w/o any oddball conditions?

In this specific situation: the double cash has a very good balance transfer offer, and the post was about balance transfers

In general: there aren’t any “oddball conditions” on the double cash (unlike a credit card that forces you to redeem cash back into your PayPal account), and although Citi is a garbage bank with godawful IT and customer service, they’re still better than noted “we’re technically not a bank, and that account you have with us isn’t a checking or savings account, so you don’t get consumer protections, and that balance is ours now” company PayPal

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

they’re still better than noted “we’re technically not a bank, and that account you have with us isn’t a checking or savings account, so you don’t get consumer protections, and that balance is ours now” company PayPal

The 2% PayPal card is issued by Synchrony Bank.

The Citi card used to have some nice perks to it that people touted quite a bit, like Price Protection. I think it used to have Cell Phone Protection, too. Now less so.

Only benefit I see to the PayPal card is the lack of a redemption threshold, which if you're like me and don't use a 2% card that often, is nice to have. I've had the Double Cash for a while now and that small perk isn't enough for me to bother opening another 2% card, but if I didn't have one I'd probably go with the PayPal card today.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Citi slashed their benefits on the double cash so outside of the balance transfer stuff I can’t recommend it in good conscience.

Discover finally seems to be embracing contactless cards; it only took a global pandemic to change their minds, I guess.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hey, I'm about to buy an iPhone.

I have the Amazon Prime Visa, seems like the best choice is buying Apple Gift Cards on Amazon, get the 5% cashback, and pay for the phone with the GCs.

Just wanted to check there aren't any gotchas I'm missing before buying the GCs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amex has been sending me a bunch of emails encouraging me to start using my points

We got the platinum last year with a starting bonus, was planning on using our points this year on an international trip, instead looks like we'll have to wait until next year, haven't used any yet. Seems like a tremendous waste to use them on Amazon purchases etc

I'm wondering if everyone is just hanging on to their points with plans to redeem them in 2021 making their partners antsy

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

I'm burning down my UR point hoard as fast as I can against groceries through the Chase "pay yourself back" feature that lets you reimburse grocery purchases at the travel portal rate (1.5 cpp on the CSR).

I hope to travel again once this all settles down, but odds are I'm not going to be racking up points with work travel expenses any time soon, and who knows what will happen with loyalty program transfers and reimbursements as the airlines and hotel chains struggle.

In the mean time, I'll take the cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Hey, I'm about to buy an iPhone.

I have the Amazon Prime Visa, seems like the best choice is buying Apple Gift Cards on Amazon, get the 5% cashback, and pay for the phone with the GCs.

Just wanted to check there aren't any gotchas I'm missing before buying the GCs.

I don't know how the insurance is on that card, but one thing to be aware of is that if you buy entirely with gift cards, you will lose any credit card based purchased protections. If that matters to you.

I once cracked the screen on a two month old iPhone and since it was within 90 days or whatever the window was, my card issuer paid for the repair.