Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ches Neckbeard posted:

His aorta is 1/2cm from being eligible for surgery.

His aorta is currently ineligible for surgery is what I'm seeing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes, I read the tweet. Is the eligibility criteria an insurance thing ("it's not bad enough yet so we won't pay for the operation") or a medical one?

If it's the latter I'm surprised he can't find a doctor willing to try it out given the whole football thing, there's seemingly plenty of people willing to try experimental stuff for pro athletes

I'm sure there's some degree of risk to the surgery, and he doesn't think it's worth it to doctor shop for a medically unnecessary surgery to keep playing.

Financially he just signed what was likely his last NFL contract as a 28 year old serviceable starter, and I'm pretty sure he gets to keep everything except the roster/workout bonuses. A pretty solid chunk of his money was guaranteed, and I don't think teams make it a habit of trying to get back signing bonuses in scenarios like these- it probably counts as retiring due to injury as he can't pass a physical and it's only hypothetical he would be able to in the future. He might be able to keep all but like $1m of an $18m contract.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
He's in the exact situation I was in. I found out my aorta was enlarged when it was at 4.9 cm. I wonder if he's got a valve problem, too. I had a unicuspid valve, which means they consider surgery a little earlier, so when I got to 5.0 they started talking about it—but they only pulled the trigger when it got to 5.4 cm.

The difficult conversation I had with my surgeon when I got to 5.0 cm and wanted to just have the drat surgery and get it over with was "we have to consider the risk of surgery versus the risk of rupture." There's also the very real fact that you basically want to put off open heart surgery for as long as possible, because the moment you get opened up like that, you're talking about lowered life expectancy, scar tissue, etc. And if he needs a replacement valve, it starts a countdown until the next time he needs open heart surgery (either 10-ish years or 25-30-ish years, depending on the type of valve), and repeated open heart surgeries do really bad things to life expectancy over time.

0.5 cm doesn't sound like much of anything, but in terms of aortas, it's a lot. He could be waiting years before his aorta expands to 5.5 cm. In the meantime, if he's playing football, he's walking around with a time bomb in his chest. Rupture anywhere outside of a hospital is basically a very quick and painful death sentence.

Edit: Also, even if he had the surgery tomorrow, I'd be surprised if the doctors don't tell him his career's over. Aortic aneurysms are typically the result of connective tissue weakness, which means he's susceptible to further problems, especially if he's engaging in contact sports or jacking his blood pressure with heavy lifting. To give you an example, I'm no longer allowed to ride on roller coasters or bumper cars, I'm not allowed to lift more than either 50 pounds or 100 pounds (my cardiologist and surgeon disagree on the number), and I'm on blood thinners so if I take any solid knocks to the head I need to go to the emergency room right away for an MRI. It's not conducive to an NFL career.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 17, 2020

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Toss in the very real problem of major surgery in the time of covid they may be extra cautious.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
welp now I’m terrified I have a giant aorta

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

indigi posted:

unless you're blacking out regularly you're probably fine

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

SKULL.GIF posted:

unless you're blacking out regularly you're probably fine

I do but that's probably the gin

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

He's in the exact situation I was in. I found out my aorta was enlarged when it was at 4.9 cm. I wonder if he's got a valve problem, too. I had a unicuspid valve, which means they consider surgery a little earlier, so when I got to 5.0 they started talking about it—but they only pulled the trigger when it got to 5.4 cm.

The difficult conversation I had with my surgeon when I got to 5.0 cm and wanted to just have the drat surgery and get it over with was "we have to consider the risk of surgery versus the risk of rupture." There's also the very real fact that you basically want to put off open heart surgery for as long as possible, because the moment you get opened up like that, you're talking about lowered life expectancy, scar tissue, etc. And if he needs a replacement valve, it starts a countdown until the next time he needs open heart surgery (either 10-ish years or 25-30-ish years, depending on the type of valve), and repeated open heart surgeries do really bad things to life expectancy over time.

0.5 cm doesn't sound like much of anything, but in terms of aortas, it's a lot. He could be waiting years before his aorta expands to 5.5 cm. In the meantime, if he's playing football, he's walking around with a time bomb in his chest. Rupture anywhere outside of a hospital is basically a very quick and painful death sentence.

Edit: Also, even if he had the surgery tomorrow, I'd be surprised if the doctors don't tell him his career's over. Aortic aneurysms are typically the result of connective tissue weakness, which means he's susceptible to further problems, especially if he's engaging in contact sports or jacking his blood pressure with heavy lifting. To give you an example, I'm no longer allowed to ride on roller coasters or bumper cars, I'm not allowed to lift more than either 50 pounds or 100 pounds (my cardiologist and surgeon disagree on the number), and I'm on blood thinners so if I take any solid knocks to the head I need to go to the emergency room right away for an MRI. It's not conducive to an NFL career.

Sorry you have to go thorough this, but thanks for sharing. Never had any idea what exactly an enlarged aorta entails.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

indigi posted:

Same. I'm clutching my chest and thinking the big one is coming

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
They're not super common (just 5-10 per 100,000, according to some quick Googling), so if you don't have any established issues with connective tissue fuckery, don't worry too much about it. Can rule it out with a simple CT scan, if it comes to that.

(One of my favorite little jokes to recite whenever I talk about my experience with this: "Well Mr. Press, a major spike in your blood pressure could cause your heart to literally explode. You'd be dead in seconds. But stress is really bad for the heart too, so, like, try not to think about it.")

Mine came about because I had a unicuspid aortic valve, which is itself a pretty drat rare thing. It began to calcify and get stenotic, which meant my heart needed to pump harder, which forced blood through my aorta harder, which expanded the aorta. We found the valve after I went to a doctor for (it turns out totally unrelated) chest pains and he discovered a murmur. Cardiologist said, "Eh, we'll check your aorta too, just in case," and whomp: 4.9 cm. Saved my life, because I'd been doing a lot of lifting up to that point. Good chance I'd have died in a loving West Windsor Retro Fitness. When it crossed over into 5.0 cm about a year and a half later I was all about getting the surgery over with, but the surgeon said, "Operating on this now would not be wrong, but it would be very aggressive." Six months later it was at 5.4 cm, which was an alarming rate of growth and meant I went into surgery a few weeks later.

Great news for Gunter is he's young, healthy, and found this before it could kill him. His career is probably over, though, which absolutely sucks. It's such weird and difficult news to process, because you go from feeling completely healthy to feeling completely healthy but with a secret bomb in your chest and all these new restrictions. I hope he's got folks to help him deal with that.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 17, 2020

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ex-NFL RB turned McKinsey guy.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1295324538331369474

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
And University of Chicago! And you thought Snyder believed in austerity!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wait, it's northwestern superstar RB jason wright

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

As much as I generally detest McKinsey, their type seem probably well suited to running a football franchise

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The guy set an all time Motor City Bowl rushing record in a loss to a MAC team

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Celebrating a POS like Snyder for hiring 1 black dude is some lib poo poo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Celebrating a POS like Snyder for hiring 1 black dude is some lib poo poo.

Bomani is fighting the good fight right now.

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1295356437582041088

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

What about celebrating a guy for beating the university of illinois in 2003 where the offense did not attempt a single pass in the second half.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

R.D. Mangles posted:

What about celebrating a guy for beating the university of illinois in 2003 where the offense did not attempt a single pass in the second half.

Praise be unto The Run

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yea but he didn’t win a hat.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1295375940646731776

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I like Fowler and Herbstreit

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Bring back Witten but have him also do play-by-play.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
MNF should get rid of a color commentator entirely and devote the budget to more of those awesome PS1 graphics. Use those every drive.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Three man booths suck. They never just shut up and let the game breath.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/jamisonhensley/status/1295373458721865728

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1295384673602985984?s=19

Hell ya bby love a wasted third rounder

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
Is it just me or does there seem to be more ACL tears this year than years prio- :suicide:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The ACL god demanding some early sacrifices.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I hate training camp

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

AndrewP posted:

I hate training camp

With a short training camp and no preseason players are going to be dropping like flies in the first couple weeks of the season.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Biggie nooooooo :(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Edit beaten

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1295368453960994818?s=21

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Not you too Gerald. :(

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

the NFL is BACK

https://twitter.com/JamesRapien/status/1295383731017048065

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Bengals had Renell Wren on the cart and Green tweaked a hammy (:lol:)

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
gently caress

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1295397063715360769?s=20

Edit: Another shocker:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1295393118859165699?s=200

Catanzaro sucks tho.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 17, 2020

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man, Gerald McCoy was such a monster for years and now he's old and busted at 8 years younger then me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
How many ACL’s have popped today alone? Like 10?