Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just pass a mandatory nationwide quarantine and call it the Enclosure Acts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait let me see if I've got this straight.

With school basically canceled for a year because of COVID, in the UK the schools are just... automatically assigning students grades? And naturally the poor ones are being given arbitrarily worse scores?

It's even more hosed because the results (it is presumed due to rounding errors but noone knows) are actually significantly more unequal than the results in any of the three previous years, according to a study commissioned by schools.

And it was already loving unequal before; posh independent school? 48% quota for students with top grades. State school? 16%.

Oh and - the results are used as practically the exclusive measure for university admission.

Hope you have the money to pay about a median salary in tuition/lodging fees and living expenses or your kids aren't getting that university degree. Better enjoy your prole jobs you prole kids, cause that's your life now.

e: Also it is not normally possibly to retake the exam for better results. This time it is, supposedly, by paying 100 quids for an appeal, though because there were so many appeals the Office for Qualification and Examination Regulation (ofqual) withdrew its appeals guideline so nobody knows??

Ofqual chief: 'This is the fairest way to award grades without exams'

quote:

Results day, whether for GCSEs or A-levels, is an emotional moment for young people across the country. This year, it will be especially so as grades are being awarded without students having had the chance to prove their knowledge and skills in exams. Instead, they are being awarded grades on the basis of teacher judgments that have been moderated to ensure, as far as possible, consistency and fairness.

Look, it's very Fair and Objective that poor kids have worse results and get hosed in university admissions, so that's naturally what we strive to ensure.

Of course the twat did the article paywalled in Telegraph. (a.k.a. Torygraph, the unofficial newspaper of the conservative party)

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 08:43 on Aug 17, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the grades thing is about the most demented poo poo i've ever seen, it's unbelievably dysfunctional and it blows my mind that *anyone* is defending it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This was good

https://labourlist.org/2020/08/tories-delete-tweet-criticising-scottish-results-after-english-a-level-scandal/

The same thing happened in Scotland a week before. Scottish Tories accused Sturgeon of presiding over a scandal. Then the English govt did the same thing - tweet mysteriously disappears

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

https://twitter.com/brexit_sham/status/1295305327030579200

lol

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

V. Illych L. posted:

the grades thing is about the most demented poo poo i've ever seen, it's unbelievably dysfunctional and it blows my mind that *anyone* is defending it

The media and rightwingers in general are extremely well trained at this point to defend anything because the Tories or their favourite right wing figure have done It, rather than any assessment of what it is.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is WAG the british WAP

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
it’s established canon that Sarah Vine has a DAP

https://twitter.com/pippacrerar/status/677024011658919936?s=21

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
where is brexit

where is it

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Third World Reagan posted:

where is brexit

where is it

Brexit - its delicate, but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek Brexit literally means “the pain from an old wound.” It’s a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This policy isn’t a spaceship, it’s a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards… it takes us to a place where we ache to go again.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
brexit means

brexit

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bryter posted:

it’s established canon that Sarah Vine has a DAP

https://twitter.com/pippacrerar/status/677024011658919936?s=21

Considering Gove's career to date it seems like he loves getting publicly humiliated so this is probably their version of foreplay

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait let me see if I've got this straight.

With school basically canceled for a year because of COVID, in the UK the schools are just... automatically assigning students grades? And naturally the poor ones are being given arbitrarily worse scores?

when doing A-levels, your teachers assign predicted final grades based on your coursework, mock exams during the course, and prior exam results in that subject. This contains several subtle inequalities - state schools have far less resources, much larger class sizers and pay teachers less (dropout rate of teacher training has, in recent years, been well over half). The result of all this is that students in state schools have less contact time with educators than public and private school students, in schools that have less staff with less experience. Combine this with the fact the parents are working and aren't anywhere near as likely to have private tutors or nannies, and you see very large disparities in grades despite the fact that anyone that's ever met private school kids (or seen a tory speak) knows they're horrible inbred brainless shites about 90% of the time. All of this, as I say, is inherently factored into grade predictions.

Because exams are a loving impossible mess, and the huge amount of missed lesson time, the exam boards decided that predictions would now be the final result. The government then decided to upgrade all the results of fee-paying schools while massively downgrading state school results because "fee schools get better results". They also decided this should be done with a grading curve, so anyone that succesfully appeals their downgraded results ensures that everyone elses results (up to their new place on the curve) has their results instantly downgraded. Everyone can appeal, but you can't stop anyone else getting further downgraded if your appeal is succesful. I'm not sure if you get downgraded after your own appeal but I think the answer is yes.

I'm not sure about the algorithm stuff. I think it's just a lie tbh. The whole scandal has now ended with the government reversing their intervention and making predictions final again, because they've already announced the abolition of public health england and no longer need to distract the newspapers.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

If there was an algorithm then the only thing that makes sense was it looked at the inherent grade inequalities between fee and state schools and then applied the disparity after predictions, which is still deliberate, evil, and indefensibly stupid.

Oh also Gavin Williamson said a thing about not wanting state school kids to get over-promoted later in life. You'll remember him as spider boy, the guy that the military openly laughed at when he got made their boss, and the minister nominated to head up government intelligence who lost the job because he didn't notice his colleagues were plotting against him.

The over-promotion thing also just assumes that Universities don't exist, and ignores that everything you learn at A-levels is firmly in the "useful but objectively wrong in every way" category

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Spangly A posted:

deliberate, evil, and indefensibly stupid

The Something Awful Forums > Debate & Discussion > C-SPAM: The Void that Screams Back > UK Politics thread: deliberate, evil, and indefensibly stupid

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the grading stuff legitimately blows my mind, as is the apparently unanimous consensus that teachers are assholes who hate their students to the extent that one big exam is more reasonable

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

V. Illych L. posted:

the apparently unanimous consensus that teachers are assholes who hate their students to the extent that one big exam is more reasonable

it's projection, of course. these people simply cannot imagine anyone actually enjoying working with children

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Spangly A posted:

Oh also Gavin Williamson said a thing about not wanting state school kids to get over-promoted later in life.

the naked classism of britain never fails to astound

in the US a statement like that would be veiled behind a concern that the state school kids "wouldn't be able to perform in university", which is quite condescending but at least attempts not to sound evil. meanwhile you all have folks spouting off about how the poor can never be allowed outside their station and that's just normal

edit: for the record im not saying that the US is any better in general, just that this kind of thing comes off a bit like walking into a room and immediately hearing an earnest discussion of racial phrenology

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Aug 17, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Spangly A posted:

If there was an algorithm then the only thing that makes sense was it looked at the inherent grade inequalities between fee and state schools and then applied the disparity after predictions, which is still deliberate, evil, and indefensibly stupid.

Oh also Gavin Williamson said a thing about not wanting state school kids to get over-promoted later in life. You'll remember him as spider boy, the guy that the military openly laughed at when he got made their boss, and the minister nominated to head up government intelligence who lost the job because he didn't notice his colleagues were plotting against him.

The over-promotion thing also just assumes that Universities don't exist, and ignores that everything you learn at A-levels is firmly in the "useful but objectively wrong in every way" category

The government intelligence committee fuckup was actually Chris Grayling, who, if possible, is even worse.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jazerus posted:

the naked classism of britain never fails to astound

in the US a statement like that would be veiled behind a concern that the state school kids "wouldn't be able to perform in university", which is quite condescending but at least attempts not to sound evil. meanwhile you all have folks spouting off about how the poor can never be allowed outside their station and that's just normal

edit: for the record im not saying that the US is any better in general, just that this kind of thing comes off a bit like walking into a room and immediately hearing an earnest discussion of racial phrenology

I think it's the difference between Nouveau Rich aristocracy, and ye olde ancien regime aristocracy.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

therattle posted:

The government intelligence committee fuckup was actually Chris Grayling, who, if possible, is even worse.

grayling is the most comically inept politician i've ever seen and I follow four countries' politics fairly closely

it's astonishing that the man hasn't fallen into a puddle and drowned, much less stopped being a quite senior MP

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

therattle posted:

state school education strikes again!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1298188530620014592

Brexit achieved

Covid defeated

time to retire

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Third World Reagan posted:

where is brexit

where is it

upstaged again! the sun will rise on Empire once more! :argh:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wow he looks like poo poo

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I sincerely hope he doesn't make it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Quit while you're ahead, I say: leave before the crash out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ahahahah how is this joke of a country even real?

perc2
May 16, 2020

This is something that will forever amaze me. This guy could have just chilled with all kinds of money and been like some advisor to some shadowy think tank to add to whatever obscene wealth he already has but he just wants to live the most painful life leading the country. It's almost as if he was indoctrinated from an early age to "rule" at his own expense for powers beyond his control or w/e here we are. Just take the money and run and get a nice suntan. Eton people are loving weird.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Imagine putting yourself through this poo poo when you could live in a nice house forever, times 100.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

perc2 posted:

This is something that will forever amaze me. This guy could have just chilled with all kinds of money and been like some advisor to some shadowy think tank to add to whatever obscene wealth he already has but he just wants to live the most painful life leading the country. It's almost as if he was indoctrinated from an early age to "rule" at his own expense for powers beyond his control or w/e here we are. Just take the money and run and get a nice suntan. Eton people are loving weird.

He wanted to be PM because he wanted to be PM. Not to accomplish anything, but just to satisfy his ego and ambition. And now that he has it he has no idea what to do with it. Thus the heavy reliance on Cummings.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

perc2 posted:

There's so many great details to this too, like how he's always had contempt for people taking sick leave and insisted everyone working for him work through their illness, or how he refused to stop shaking hands with people even when front page news was the government saying DO NOT SHAKE HANDS WITH PEOPLE. Just the most avoidable incident in the world which he practically insisted happen because he genuinely internalised all that insane stoic public school poo poo and refused to take even the most basic measures to protect himself, all whilst being a rapidly aging overweight alcoholic.

perc2
May 16, 2020

therattle posted:

He wanted to be PM because he wanted to be PM.

This motherfucker never had a lucid moment where he thought he wanted to be PM because of any kind of political conviction... he is a product of a system that needs to keep freaks like him at the helm

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

multijoe posted:

There's so many great details to this too, like how he's always had contempt for people taking sick leave and insisted everyone working for him work through their illness, or how he refused to stop shaking hands with people even when front page news was the government saying DO NOT SHAKE HANDS WITH PEOPLE. Just the most avoidable incident in the world which he practically insisted happen because he genuinely internalised all that insane stoic public school poo poo and refused to take even the most basic measures to protect himself, all whilst being a rapidly aging overweight alcoholic.

I think it’s less stoicism and more entitlement and privilege. “This illness affects other people but it won’t get me because I’m special”.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

boris johnson, like a lot of the very upper class of british society, has been thoroughly brutalised since childhood and likely has a deeply damaged psyche. in a very real sense, he's a survivor of serious abuse and deserves pity; the horrific part is that this system of abuse is the ritual reproduction of the british upper class, and the scars are considered emblems of leadership and intellect. the dude thought that winning the biggest popularity contest of them all and embracing his destiny would fulfill him, but it didn't and i'd be shocked if he has any idea how to stop feeling so empty all the time

of course, one damaged posh boy's personal development has come at a really quite disproportionate cost

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

perc2 posted:

denigrating a man for devoting his life to public service to the point it nearly killed him smdh

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm glad i finally clicked through to the article

quote:

"If you put a horse back to work when it's injured, it will never recover," The Times quoted him as saying.

horse johnson

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

V. Illych L. posted:

boris johnson, like a lot of the very upper class of british society, has been thoroughly brutalised since childhood and likely has a deeply damaged psyche. in a very real sense, he's a survivor of serious abuse and deserves pity; the horrific part is that this system of abuse is the ritual reproduction of the british upper class, and the scars are considered emblems of leadership and intellect. the dude thought that winning the biggest popularity contest of them all and embracing his destiny would fulfill him, but it didn't and i'd be shocked if he has any idea how to stop feeling so empty all the time

of course, one damaged posh boy's personal development has come at a really quite disproportionate cost

The entire boarding school system seems designed to create brutal sociopaths that can do the job of running a cruel empire.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Dr Pepper posted:

The entire boarding school system seems designed to create brutal sociopaths that can do the job of running a cruel empire.

Working as intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Partially or maybe just rhetorically it was based on the Spartan agoge, adults loving children to make them better slavers