Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On a similar note, they should just show tech like, Picard picks up an ordinary looking book off his table and opens it up to blank pages and he goes "Load 'I, Robot', please" and it just appears on the pages looking like a perfectly ordinary print book and he starts reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I found out my wife subscribes to All Access for terrible reality TV so I used her login to watch Lower Decks Episode 2.
It was again, okay. I'm already tired of Mariner being a 'been every where done everything' character. Sad sack is still a sad sack. I like the medical Orion lady as a good contrast to the rest of the group, but the cyborg dude doesn't really seem to have a personality?
The jokes are still a bit flat. This is a bit like Disenchanted where there are a constant stream of jokes that aren't really funny, but at least the characters are better than that terrible show, and the jokes are sometimes a bit funny?
Otherwise the only part of the episode I really liked was how the crew was so supportive of cyborg dude trying to find his passion. Very Star Fleet.
Overall it is the best Star Trek in over a decade and maybe it will get better.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mariner and Boimler are coming into focus as the same dynamic as Randal and Dante, from the short-lived Clerks animated series. One character is straight-up manic and sows wackiness and chaos and seems unable to get stressed out over anything, and a neurotic character who freaks out and tries to pick up the pieces. That setup can be really funny but if the writers don't strike the right balance it can get old pretty fast. (I don't see Rutherford and Tendi as Jay and Silent Bob types, so the analogy breaks down there, I suppose.)

Who is driving? Klingon is driving! How can this be?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My "how many times did I laugh harder than the borg escape opener" rating of Episode two is 3. But one of them had to be after I looked up Jamaharon and saw the "show you later" quote before the punchline hit in the show. Otherwise it would've been a 2. Rutherford's B-plot was a solid gag and the star of the episode.

This show really could go places if the characters were far less 2 dimensional but we haven't gotten to the Naked episode yet so maybe that'll help crack the show open to actual decency.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Two episodes in and, yeah, I'd keep watching, which is better than I managed with Discovery. It's not making me laugh out loud, but I'm a miserable bastard who rarely does. Maybe it's just the comfort of going back to the TNG era.

Edit: put it this way, I can remember Lower Decks' theme tune, generically Trekkian as it is. Discovery's theme? Not a loving clue.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 16, 2020

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Toplowtech posted:

Yes, the second episode is far far better than the first one. That "jayneway protocol" joke was decent.

Honestly I think it looks like it’s gonna be alright. After E2 it feels like a show made by people who know and like Star Trek, not people who either hate it, don’t understand it, or never watched it to begin with, which means it easily beats Disco and Picard

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Delthalaz posted:

Honestly I think it looks like it’s gonna be alright. After E2 it feels like a show made by people who know and like Star Trek, not people who either hate it, don’t understand it, or never watched it to begin with, which means it easily beats Disco and Picard

This is the vibe I get tbh.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve kind of heard and read a few articles and podcast mentions of LDS and it seems like the chief complaint which isn’t “It’s just not that funny” is “it doesn’t treat Trek with reverence” which I guess is just a bridge that can’t be gapped if someone was expecting a serious cartoon with some jokes thrown in rather than an in-canon sendup of the genre. Like okay, if you were expecting an animated TNG where all the humour is subtle or one-off then I’m perfectly happy saying this show isn’t for you.

Which is fine, not every show has to be for everyone, but it kind of irks me that it sets the tone that the show is somehow bad because of it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

I’ve kind of heard and read a few articles and podcast mentions of LDS and it seems like the chief complaint which isn’t “It’s just not that funny” is “it doesn’t treat Trek with reverence” which I guess is just a bridge that can’t be gapped if someone was expecting a serious cartoon with some jokes thrown in rather than an in-canon sendup of the genre. Like okay, if you were expecting an animated TNG where all the humour is subtle or one-off then I’m perfectly happy saying this show isn’t for you.

Which is fine, not every show has to be for everyone, but it kind of irks me that it sets the tone that the show is somehow bad because of it.

No Star Trek is a super serious show you see. Please let me demonstrate by ignoring 70% of it.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

This is the vibe I get tbh.

:same:

The humor doesn't click for me, but I don't get the sense that the people involved have any sort of disdain for the things that make Star Trek Star Trek, you know? I'm kinda sad that I won't get to enjoy LDS the way some of you do but it's still good honest Trek and that's okay. :unsmith:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

You have to wonder about the kind of people that still have any kind of "reverence" for Star Trek after years and years of substandard material with only the occasional nugget of gold in the form of an actor's performance or a neat piece of production design or something here and there. It's just a dumb cartoon, the trailers didn't lie.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I fundamentally agree. And then I remember that I, myself, made a :rolleyes: post about how it’s dumb because the senior officers wouldn’t really treat cadets like that not more than a few pages ago. Kind of feels like I’m a hypocrite to a degree, but I guess it didn’t draw me out of the cartoon universe enough to let it completely destroy my opinion of the show.

I think I’ve posted entirely too much about what I think about others opinions of the show are, recently, and should probably chill out with a quality Star Trek cartoon :cool:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's funny how as a kid I had the technical manuals and the encyclopedias and now whenever these shows start in with their canon references I get the incredible urge to start yelling SHUT UUUUUUPP SHUT THE gently caress UUUUUUUUUUPPPP gently caress YOOOOOUUuuuu at the screen

e: like what is that, what do you call that. Do I have rabies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tarkalian Fandom Syndrome

very sad

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If you have trouble reconciling this show with the greater Trek universe, just pretend it’s diegetically a show in the Trek universe. Something Geordi kicks his feet up and watches at the end of a long day in engineering. Problem solved.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have no trouble reconciling LDS with canon. It’s a cartoon, so yeah, cartoony poo poo is going to happen. But having the Cerritos and Boimler and the crew be real people in the Trek universe is an easy task for me.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I've decided my headcanon until they prove it otherwise is Mariner got so much experience by being cloned over and over by her parents (she's death prone not unlike the venture brothers) and she got good by sheer repetition. :p

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Rutherford starts profusely sweating when confronting the crew chiefs about leaving, and no one in universe comments on it.

The proportions of character's head compared to body breaks canon.

The size of the eyes compared to the head is just plain unrealistic.

The head is also like 15 times larger than their hands. It makes no sense.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

xerxus posted:

Rutherford starts profusely sweating when confronting the crew chiefs about leaving, and no one in universe comments on it.

The proportions of character's head compared to body breaks canon.

The size of the eyes compared to the head is just plain unrealistic.

The head is also like 15 times larger than their hands. It makes no sense.

lol
only the trek thread

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Peachfart posted:

lol
only the trek thread

I think it was a sarcastic post

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm a little apprehensive about jumping into LDS. I mean, I did so much of it in the 60's that I probably missed somebody already making this joke.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CPColin posted:

I'm a little apprehensive about jumping into LDS. I mean, I did so much of it in the 60's that I probably missed somebody already making this joke.

The hell they didn't.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CPColin posted:

It’s a hell of a church. Not even once.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CPColin posted:

No it's ok they accept black people now, much like Star Trek's post racial society.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm trying this new thing with Trek where I go in blind with no expectations and not really engaging with other fans prior to the first few episodes. I'd like to offer some thoughts which may or may not be in line with the thread, since I'll admit I didn't read past the last page or so:

I really like this show. I get the superficial similarities to R&M, obviously not helped by the cross-pollination of crew - but it feels a lot more fresh. For me, R&M stagnated to the point where I was interested and impressed by the early experimental sci-fi stuff, to being kinda bored with it, to then just not bothering to keep up with the series anymore. The show's pessimistic tone did it in for me; ironically, the thing that drew me to it at first.

But Lower Decks isn't as sleazy. I like sleazy but not all the time. I like to watch TNG and take the piss out of it despite really loving it, and this show does it for me. I'll say now that the 'trailer moments' like the blast shield joke/cool scrappy underdogs line are not funny, and do feel a bit out of place. But their set up and delivery on jokes with a bit more thought to them is hitting the right chords.

One of the highlights of the episode for me is our Ferengi friend. I laughed a lot at his seediness and general stereotypical Ferengi ways, because that's goddamn funny. But then I felt a tinge of guilt, like, is this really Star Trek? The show recognized that though and left me with an incredibly satisfying ending when we learn he's not just a creepy weirdo and actually looks educated. It made the joke funnier while still giving us the Star Trek tut-tut about thinking the worst of cultures we don't know, especially when what we read is all we have to go on.

Mariner has quite a few flaws but I like her. She is exactly how the Kelvin Kirk should have been, and I think we'll see a drawn out growth of her character over time into possibly even Captain material. With that said, I know Regular Kirk was a booksmart nerd much more like Brad Boimler - but if you're going to do what they did in 2009 with the whole 'trying to live up to your great parents' thing, Lower Decks is already doing a much better job of it.

That's all I have for now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ferengi are both creepy weirdos and 20th century Americans.

Makes u thinkkk

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

So it turns out Lower Decks has Comedy Bang Bang regulars Tawny Newsome (who I knew was on the show) and Eugene Cordero (who I did not) in the main cast.

This week's episode has those two plus Jack Quaid (the voice of someone called Boimler) on as guest improvisors. If you're interested in an improv podcast then you should check it out, this week's title is "Star Trek: Upper Decker"

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/star-trek-upper-decker/

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Just catching up on the last few pages, I'm surprised that Lower Decks is so popular here.

It's pretty good.The jokes are fairly hit or miss but it feels very appropriately Trekky. It has a heart, I like it.

I've not seen Rick and Morty, I avoided it because my annoying aunt likes it. Since I enjoyed Lower Decks, which is apparently a Rick and Morty clone, I guess I need to start watching.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Rick and Morty is not very much like Lower Decks at all. Lower Decks has far more in common with Futurama. Rick and Morty has some good episodes but its relentless cynicism and smugness becomes quickly overbearing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

piratepilates posted:

So it turns out Lower Decks has Comedy Bang Bang regulars Tawny Newsome (who I knew was on the show) and Eugene Cordero (who I did not) in the main cast.

This week's episode has those two plus Jack Quaid (the voice of someone called Boimler) on as guest improvisors. If you're interested in an improv podcast then you should check it out, this week's title is "Star Trek: Upper Decker"

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/star-trek-upper-decker/

Funny bit of trivia Jack Quaid is the son of DENNIS Quaid and Meg Ryan

e: he's the main character on that comic book adaptation The Boys (it's not very good but he's pretty solid in it)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 17, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Funny bit of trivia Jack Quaid is the son of Randy Quaid and Meg Ryan

e: he's the main character on that comic book adaptation The Boys (it's not very good but he's pretty solid in it)

Dennis Quaid, not Randy.

That was a very odd feeling when I thought that Randy Quaid was at one point dating Meg Ryan and had a son together. Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan I can live with.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

People forget that even Futurama had a bit of a rough stilted start compared to later seasons and we're talking about a show only 2 episodes in. Overtime the writing and animation teams for this show will dial in what works and what doesn't. The fact that at worse it's mediocre is still a blessing considering what a pounding Trek has taken since 2009.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I remember Futurama sucking so bad at the beginning I gave up and didn't go back until years and years later.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

piratepilates posted:

Dennis Quaid, not Randy.

That was a very odd feeling when I thought that Randy Quaid was at one point dating Meg Ryan and had a son together. Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan I can live with.

Oh yeah lol my bad

once you see "a cross between Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid" it's really hard to unsee it

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Futurama was quite rough at first, but by the end of the first season it was pretty good. I'm actually hopeful Lower Decks will get there because the show has potential and has the soul of Star Trek and not 'Generic Space Action Show'.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New info on Strange New Worlds and Short Treks

Main thing is Alex Kurtzman saying that SNW will return to TOS style "planet-of-the-week" stories.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went back and watched some Rick and Morty for the first time in a while and I absolutely do not see any real similarity with this other than some really superficial “both shows have an annoying abrasive character and a weird sidekick” and offer some of that zany comedy that’s the current zeitgeist. It just feels like a forced comparison between [popular thing] and [new thing] for the lack of a better idea of what to compare it to.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Technowolf posted:

New info on Strange New Worlds and Short Treks

Main thing is Alex Kurtzman saying that SNW will return to TOS style "planet-of-the-week" stories.

Thank God, maybe people will quit bitching.

dot dot dot

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

SpeakSlow posted:

dot dot dot

WHY STAR TREK STRANGE NEW WORLDS IS FAILING AT CBS. SECRETLY CANCELLED AFTER THREE EPISODES.

PLEASE WATCH AND SUBSCRIBE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

SpeakSlow posted:

dot dot dot

you liked discovery and picard, lol