Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Splinter posted:

If you can wait, have you checked out the NR200? Believe it has similar GPU support, is 2L smaller, and would save you $60+. Another option with similar GPU support that could save you money (~$40+) is the Lian-Li TU150, though that is ~3L and change larger than the Ophion Evo so maybe it is larger than you want to go.

I can't comment on that particular cooler, but you can definitely get quiet and cool via air coolers in some SFF cases too (especially if you're only running a 3600, which is only 65W TDP) so don't feel like you need to go AIO unless you want to. Your air options are limited in the Ophion Evo as max cooler height is only 90mm (AIO might make sense here, I'm not too familiar with what your options are on the air side here), but the NR200 supports up to 155mm (which can handle all the but the super massive air coolers like the D15 which would be insane overkill for a 3600 anyway) and the TU150 up to 165mm (which can handle pretty much any air cooler). Due to increased CPU cooler compatibility, the NR200 would potentially save you even more than just the difference in case price, as you could replace that AIO with an amazing air cooler in the $50-80 range.

Thanks, the NR200 looks like a pretty good budget option, though it doesn't look like it has any dust filters. I don't think I want to go as big as the TU150 though.

The Ophion Evo definitely limits air cooler options, but it also seems like it has a really good AIO setup.

I'll keep looking for cases as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
It certainly feels like we are about to cross SFF cases mass production threshold. Specifically cases designed for ITX systems from ground up and not just scaled down ATX versions.

Just this year we had Fractal design Era misfire, pretty good all in one NZXT H1, and Cooler Master NR200 gonna sell like hot cakes.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the NR200 is wild because it's like $80 and looks infinitely easier to build in than any other SFF case I've ever seen in my life

maybe everyone who gets in on this preorder is gonna wind up owned by QC issues or something but if it works and they keep making it, it seems like it might be a bit of a hit

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Although I love some of the smaller 10~ litre cases, their price, availability, difficulty to build in and temperature considerations are making me lean towards the NR200 as a happy balance between form and function. At the moment I can only see listings for it on US websites, anyone know if/when it's likely to become available in the EU?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

At the moment I can only see listings for it on US websites, anyone know if/when it's likely to become available in the EU?

it's still technically available only for "preorder" and launches in a few days (which is why it's not on e.g. Newegg yet), so might show up then?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Warmachine posted:

I'd say the SFF size range goes between the Velka 3 and the NR200, so pick something in that range and I can give recommendations.

I pre-ordered the NR200. Looks promising.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

A large preorder window just opened for the FormD T1. They've been doing weekly drops for the last month or so, but they routinely sell out in minutes or less.

Obligatory Optimum Tech video for those unfamiliar it; the producer is one of the guys who developed the NCase M1.

Stoked for my first SFF build and possibly my first custom loop :sweatdrop:

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
If I hadn't broken down and gotten a Sliger SM550 a couple months ago I would totally be ordering myself a FormD T1.

By all accounts it's one of the most premium of the sandwich cases, and looks super fun to build in.

Just can't justify buying one now just to swap my stuff out of my current case which is almost exactly the same size and gets the job done.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mistikman posted:

If I hadn't broken down and gotten a Sliger SM550 a couple months ago I would totally be ordering myself a FormD T1.

By all accounts it's one of the most premium of the sandwich cases, and looks super fun to build in.

Just can't justify buying one now just to swap my stuff out of my current case which is almost exactly the same size and gets the job done.

Yeah, I just got my Ncase put together in May, and while that looks super fun, I still have the GPU side of the Ncase to finish. That said, it'd be fun for the bootleg ARK server I want to build...

No! No spend.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know that Sliger cases are built out of steel but hot drat are they sturdy. I just finished my SM580 build and I feel like I can drop it down a flight of stairs with no issue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Amazon pls...

:negative:

Did anyone else who pre-ordered the NR200 get a shipment confirmation of any kind?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

teagone posted:

Amazon pls...

:negative:

Did anyone else who pre-ordered the NR200 get a shipment confirmation of any kind?

oh no, that's brutal. I had had my eye on it but hadn't bothered to preorder since I figured it was shipping on the 15th so must be in stock. no wonder it doesn't even have a product page on Newegg yet

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

abraham linksys posted:

oh no, that's brutal. I had had my eye on it but hadn't bothered to preorder since I figured it was shipping on the 15th so must be in stock. no wonder it doesn't even have a product page on Newegg yet

I got the same thing today and gave up as it’s the last part of a new build I’m waiting on. Going with an open box Lian Li TU150 I found for cheap in the interim, maybe I’ll circle back around and try it out once it’s readily available. Shame as I was hoping to tinker around with it!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Kikuchiyo posted:

I got the same thing today and gave up as it’s the last part of a new build I’m waiting on. Going with an open box Lian Li TU150 I found for cheap in the interim, maybe I’ll circle back around and try it out once it’s readily available. Shame as I was hoping to tinker around with it!

ooh, that looks nice. only $100 new on Newegg (same price as windowed variant of the NR200). will have to watch a video review, know offhand any drawbacks by comparison?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

abraham linksys posted:

ooh, that looks nice. only $100 new on Newegg (same price as windowed variant of the NR200). will have to watch a video review, know offhand any drawbacks by comparison?

I had a TU150. It's actually a great case with really good airflow (though you can't mount fans at the top). And it fits that beefy rear end Noctua NHD15. If you do have a huge CPU cooler like that you might have to use a slim 120mm fan at the rear. If you put some fans at the bottom your GPU fans will basically never spin up unless you're really putting a high load on it. I had a 5700XT Red Devil in there and put some slim Noctua fans below it and never heard it spin up to a high rpm once.

Only thing I didn't like was you can see how poor your cable management is. Some of my cables weren't long enough to route through the top so it looked a little messy, but that's an entirely subjective thing. I just don't like seeing cables.

If you do have a longer graphics card like the Red Devil, put the motherboard in without mounting your air cooler (assuming you're using a tower cooler) THEN put in the gpu. You'll have to put it in at an angle diagonally to get it in the case. There's a lip around the case that the Red Devil didn't clear when trying to put it in straight forward.

If you have any questions on the case feel free to ask. I had it from when it launched up until a couple days ago when I switched to a SM580.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

I think Romes128 hit it a bit more in-depth than I could, but the only other thing I’d add is the size differential - it’s about 22 liters or so which is slightly larger than the NR200. But other than that I liked a lot of the same things - ability to toss in a beefy CPU air cooler, for example.

Only other thing I’d say is if you live near a Micro Center, see if they have any open box. Got mine for just under 80 bucks that way, which is nice. Will just have to make sure the side panel isn’t cracked when I pick it up!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, the silver Lian Li Tu 150 is only $109.99 on Amazon. I might just end up getting that tbh since the case is the only part I need for my build right now too.

[edit] Oh, it doesn't come with any fans already installed? Bummer.

[edit 2] I want the aluminum sidepanel version, but Amazon doesn't have it. God. Damnit.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 15, 2020

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
This is kind of early, but I'm thinking about building a new computer this Fall/early Winter when the new Nvidia cards come out and was interested in an Mini-ITX, or some other small size. Seems like a great size for a desktop.

The thing is I've only had laptops before this so I've never actually built a computer, and I'd imagine it could be harder to build with so much less space. Is this a concern? Are there any cases I should look at that are small but forgiving to build in, or characteristics I should look for that are particularly important?

I don't really know anything about cars beyond googling the last few days, so if there's any other resources y'all would suggest that'd be great too.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Building a computer in general isn't particularly difficult, but the smaller you go, the more consideration you have to have for part compatibility (just in terms of physical dimensions) and the lower the tolerances are for the space you are working in.

For example, if you were wanting to do a build in a Dan Case A4-SFX with the 92mm AIO, you would have to be sure to get RAM that's not too tall, and you would have to install the parts in a specific order and at times you would have less than 1mm of clearance. It can be pretty stressful even for an experienced builder.

I am sure some people can suggest cases that are a lot friendlier to build in. You also likely want to wait until we have specifics on the 30 series cards, as they might introduce new variables to all this that we will have to work around, specifically with regards to power supplies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The NZXT 210 and Thermaltake Core V1 are easy ITX cases but they are pretty huge in comparison to something like a Dan A4.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

X13Fen posted:

Since we're talking about the SM560 (vented all round), it's been brought to my attention that running 50-60C when idle probably isn't a good thing? Maxes out in the 80s when gaming, so that's less concerning, but would explain why my exhaust fans are always going

I'm running a R5 3600 with the stock cooler, but I'm looking to upgrade that to the Cryorig C7G but replacing the stock fan with a Noctua A9x14

Could just be bad paste (thermal grizzly veto bait via pea method), but figured may as well go for a better cooler anyway

Tl: dr is : stick with kryonaut or get a different paste it doesn't matter? I figure with sff a few degrees difference between pastes can make a difference?

I've managed to fix my fan curves so my fans aren't always spinning without any difference in temps. Still sitting around mid-60s when idle, which isn't great, but at least it's not aggresively loud while doing so.

I'm going to get the Cryorig C7G and repalce the stock fan with a Noctua NA-A9x14, which is Reddit's favourite combo. Hopefully that'll drop me down into a much lower idle temp.

I have kinda fallen in love with the NZXT H1 though. If I can't get my temps down in the SM560, I might look at upgrading to that. Only trouble is I'd need to replace my GPU and monitor, which in :aus: is gonna be like $2500, which I definitely do not have right now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cancelled my CM NR200 pre-order

:smith:

But ordered a Lian Li TU150 with the aluminum side panel from newegg for $113 shipped.

:unsmith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMP3-881X5o

I really wanted this case. Oh well.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I wonder if I can fit 4x3.5HDD in there with no graphics card...

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

abraham linksys posted:

A bit large for mITX, but this comes with the benefit of almost full CPU/GPU air cooler support and an easier build in general (good for a first mITX build, the pop off exterior panels are awesome for this as well). Doesn't come with fans, only a dust filter on the front intake, not the best AIO support (this case is a better option for air cooling). Thermals are good, but not great (for it's size, partially due to no top panel exhaust due to the handle), but with most builds this shouldn't be an issue at all. Overall it's a great mITX case, as long as you're okay with it being a bit bigger larger than other non-sandwich layouts (like the M1 and now the NR200).

Romes128 posted:

I had a TU150. It's actually a great case with really good airflow (though you can't mount fans at the top). And it fits that beefy rear end Noctua NHD15. If you do have a huge CPU cooler like that you might have to use a slim 120mm fan at the rear. If you put some fans at the bottom your GPU fans will basically never spin up unless you're really putting a high load on it. I had a 5700XT Red Devil in there and put some slim Noctua fans below it and never heard it spin up to a high rpm once.
Not sure about the D15, but with the DRP4 you can fit a full size 120mm exhaust fan, but it sits directly against the cooler so it's almost more like a 3rd fan for your CPU than a case fan. If you want to sacrifice the SSD mount above the CPU, you can mod the case to add a top exhaust. I saw someone put a 140mm fan up there (it sits in the top cable management compartment IIRC, lots of hole drilling required).

Romes128 posted:

Only thing I didn't like was you can see how poor your cable management is. Some of my cables weren't long enough to route through the top so it looked a little messy, but that's an entirely subjective thing. I just don't like seeing cables.
Yeah, Corsair SF power cables generally aren't long enough to use the ideal routing with this case (which would be directly into the top compartment from above the PSU). If you want to do this, get some extension cables (Silverstone sells braided ones for all the different types of power plugs). However, if you're okay with seeing the cables but still being fairly clean/non-obstructing, you can make the stock SF cables work (especially true if you're not running a glass side panel).

Pic of my case showing both the full size rear fan fitment and PSU cable routing with stock Corsair SF cables:

One thing to note, if you are planning on putting a drive above the CPU on the top panel (personally I'd go M2 + the mount location by the front intake before using this spot) I'd get extension cables for the mobo and cpu power cables, as I'm using one of the drive mount holes to velcro tie the power cables in place to keep things clean (my CPU power cable is actually able to route up through the top panel, but whether that's possible will depend on where your specific motherboard puts the CPU power).

If you're going to use a giant air cooler like the DRP4 or D15, a few tips:
- Attach the power cables to the board prior to installing the CPU cooler (assuming you have a modular PSU)
- Consider getting extension cables for your front panel connectors (and/or right angle adapters if the port are right at the edge of the board) and attach these before installing the cooler. I didn't do this, and getting the front panel audio connector in potentially could've been a pain (due to how far under the cooler the port sits). I somehow got it in quickly, but I could barely get my fingers on the plug so it was more luck than anything. Look at your board layout to see which ports may be troublesome once covered by a cooler. A right angle for the USB3 port would've been ideal as well.

teagone posted:

[edit] Oh, it doesn't come with any fans already installed? Bummer.

[edit 2] I want the aluminum sidepanel version, but Amazon doesn't have it. God. Damnit.
No fans, and it only has a dust filter on the front intake. Bottom fans aren't filtered. I ordered this magnetic 2x120mm filter for the bottom, I'll report back on fitment when it arrives. I imagine the corners might need to be trimmed a bit to fit with the case feet, but I think it should work. Newegg usually has the aluminum sidepanel in stock btw.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Splinter posted:

No fans, and it only has a dust filter on the front intake. Bottom fans aren't filtered. I ordered this magnetic 2x120mm filter for the bottom, I'll report back on fitment when it arrives. I imagine the corners might need to be trimmed a bit to fit with the case feet, but I think it should work. Newegg usually has the aluminum sidepanel in stock btw.

Are fans on GPUs typically intake or exhaust? I'm going to install a 3-slot EVGA GTX 1660 Ti that has a single fan, and because of the thickness of the card's heatsink + fan shroud, I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit even slim 120mm fans on the bottom of the TU150. Also yeah, I ordered the silver TU150 from Newegg with the aluminum side panel for $113 after tax; not bad! Also ordered 2x 120mm Noctua P12 redux 1700 RPM fans for front intake and rear exhaust.

[edit] I'll be installing an older processor/mobo (Core i7 4770, MSI H81I) and will be using this to cool the CPU https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=691 so hoping thermals will be ok.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 17, 2020

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

teagone posted:

Are fans on GPUs typically intake or exhaust? I'm going to install a 3-slot EVGA GTX 1660 Ti that has a single fan, and because of the thickness of the card's heatsink + fan shroud, I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit even slim 120mm fans on the bottom of the TU150. Also yeah, I ordered the silver TU150 from Newegg with the aluminum side panel for $113 after tax; not bad! Also ordered 2x 120mm Noctua P12 redux 1700 RPM fans for front intake and rear exhaust.

Intake.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guess I'll look into getting a magnetic filter for the bottom of the TU150 too then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Splinter posted:

Looks like that site has a filter fitted for the bottom of the TU150 https://www.demcifilter.com/c1395-267mm-x-147mm-lian-li-tu150-mini-itx-desktop-case-model-tu150x-bottom-filter

[edit] They also have a filter for the aluminum side panel https://www.demcifilter.com/c1397-310mm-x-80mm-an-li-tu150-mini-itx-desktop-case-model-tu150x-gpu-filter

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 17, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Are fans on GPUs typically intake or exhaust? I'm going to install a 3-slot EVGA GTX 1660 Ti that has a single fan, and because of the thickness of the card's heatsink + fan shroud, I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit even slim 120mm fans on the bottom of the TU150.

Is it a real 3 slot card or like 2.5?

I had a Red Devil 5700XT in there and fit two slim Noctua fans at the bottom with no issue.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

teagone posted:

Are fans on GPUs typically intake or exhaust? I'm going to install a 3-slot EVGA GTX 1660 Ti that has a single fan, and because of the thickness of the card's heatsink + fan shroud, I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit even slim 120mm fans on the bottom of the TU150.

I have a tu150 and now have the noctua slim fans at the bottom as intake. Works well with my FE 2070super. You shouldn't need to worry about adding fans to the bottom with just the 1660ti since it's tdp isn't that high. But you could also go with removing the shroud and connecting the bottom fans onto the GPU fan header.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUaZVpN51Po

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Romes128 posted:

Is it a real 3 slot card or like 2.5?

I had a Red Devil 5700XT in there and fit two slim Noctua fans at the bottom with no issue.

2.75 slot. This card specifically: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1261-KR

ughhhh posted:

I have a tu150 and now have the noctua slim fans at the bottom as intake. Works well with my FE 2070super. You shouldn't need to worry about adding fans to the bottom with just the 1660ti since it's tdp isn't that high. But you could also go with removing the shroud and connecting the bottom fans onto the GPU fan header.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUaZVpN51Po

I actually just watched this video last night, haha. Unfortunately, after looking at the card, I'd have to either file or bend down the metal tabs that stick up after removing the shroud and fan. Not something I'm keen on doing.

[edit] And yeah, I'm going to install my setup with no bottom intakes or any additional filters first to see how thermals are. I'm thinking I should be ok with just the front and rear exhaust fans since my component setup is rather modest.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 17, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

teagone posted:

They are typically intake. It's possible there are situations where exhaust may work better, but I haven't seen anyone try that with the TU150 yet. Specifically though, on the NCase M1 if you deshroud your GPU (so there are no GPU fans, only the bottom case fans) and have a large GPU heatsink (to the point where it almost reaches the bottom fans), it can sometimes be better for thermals to run the bottom fans as exhaust (gets the hot air coming off the GPU heatsink out of the case ASAP). That's a different case though, and not something you'd typically experiment with unless you're having thermal issues with them as intake. If you're leaving your GPU fans on, you definitely want to run them as intake. If your GPU shroud/fan are so big that you can't fit bottom intakes, that's fine, your GPU fan will just act as the bottom intake since it will be so close to the bottom of the case anyway. In that case though, deshrouding and going with 2 full size bottom intakes (or even replacing the stock heatsink with something like an Accelero Xtreme III, using either its stock fans or deshrouding it and using bottom intakes) would probably be better for noise and thermals (especially if you can get an adapter to hook the PWM up to the GPU itself), but I wouldn't go that route unless you're having noise/temp issues with the stock cooler.

That's annoying as these aren't listed in their section that shows which Lian Li cases they have filters for. Also I had done this research when I got the case a couple months ago and I don't think anyone had done this yet at that point. The interesting thing is the length and width dimensions of the one I posted and the custom TU150 one are exactly the same, so I wonder if there's actually a difference. All I can think is maybe the frame thins out in certain spots to better fit under the case feet, but looking at the custom filter order form it doesn't look like you can customize the frame thickness.

As far as that side vent filter goes, that might not be necessary. If you're running 2 bottom intakes, 1 front intake and only 1 rear exhaust, the pressure in the case in theory is forcing air out of those vents (helps get that hot GPU air out of the case) rather than pulling air in through those vents. If that's the case then dust won't really be entering through those vents. However, if you're relying on the GPU fans only for bottom intake (no bottom case fans), then they will likely pull some air through those vents (in addition to the bottom vents). It's also possible if your GPU fans are strong enough that even with bottom intakes they'll pull a tad bit of air though the side as well, but I'm not sure exactly how that would play out (and in theory the bottom fans are doing the heavy lifting while the GPU fan speed stays low). If you're running bottom intakes, I'd try it without the side filter first (as filters restrict airflow) and see if you get any dust build up in the case. Couldn't hurt to have it on hand just in case if you're already paying for shipping for 1 filter though. Amazon stocks some of their stuff, which typically is a little cheaper once you consider shipping, but they didn't have that particular 2x120mm ID in stock. They did have some made for the NCase M1 bottom and top panels, which are similar in size to the 2x120mm ID, but not exactly the same (they are a bit bigger IIRC, which would make fitment more of a question).

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

2.75 slot. This card specifically: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1261-KR

I actually just watched this video last night, haha. Unfortunately, after looking at the card, I'd have to either file or bend down the metal tabs that stick up after removing the shroud and fan. Not something I'm keen on doing.

[edit] And yeah, I'm going to install my setup with no bottom intakes or any additional filters first to see how thermals are. I'm thinking I should be ok with just the front and rear exhaust fans since my component setup is rather modest.

drat that's a thicc rear end card. It's a whole inch thicker than the Red Devil which is something.

I don't think you'll be able to fit even slim fans under it. Only way to tell is fitting the card in first though.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I am sure alot of us would pay a premium for just a gpu with bare heatsink with a proper 4pin PWM connector. I already am eagerly awaiting the new rijintek morpheus 8057 and dont mind paying for it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Romes128 posted:

drat that's a thicc rear end card. It's a whole inch thicker than the Red Devil which is something.

I don't think you'll be able to fit even slim fans under it. Only way to tell is fitting the card in first though.

Yeah, it's a chonker lmao. I bought it on impulse because it was so cheap (~$150 shipped from EVGA B-Stock), and didn't realize how THICC of a card it was. It threw my original plan of using a Silverstone SG13 I had already bought for this i7 4770 SFF build I've been planning out the window. That why I ended up pre-ordering the NR200, but RIP its availability, so with the TU150 I now go!

Splinter posted:

They are typically intake. It's possible there are situations where exhaust may work better, but I haven't seen anyone try that with the TU150 yet. Specifically though, on the NCase M1 if you deshroud your GPU (so there are no GPU fans, only the bottom case fans) and have a large GPU heatsink (to the point where it almost reaches the bottom fans), it can sometimes be better for thermals to run the bottom fans as exhaust (gets the hot air coming off the GPU heatsink out of the case ASAP). That's a different case though, and not something you'd typically experiment with unless you're having thermal issues with them as intake. If you're leaving your GPU fans on, you definitely want to run them as intake. If your GPU shroud/fan are so big that you can't fit bottom intakes, that's fine, your GPU fan will just act as the bottom intake since it will be so close to the bottom of the case anyway. In that case though, deshrouding and going with 2 full size bottom intakes (or even replacing the stock heatsink with something like an Accelero Xtreme III, using either its stock fans or deshrouding it and using bottom intakes) would probably be better for noise and thermals (especially if you can get an adapter to hook the PWM up to the GPU itself), but I wouldn't go that route unless you're having noise/temp issues with the stock cooler.

As far as that side vent filter goes, that might not be necessary. If you're running 2 bottom intakes, 1 front intake and only 1 rear exhaust, the pressure in the case in theory is forcing air out of those vents (helps get that hot GPU air out of the case) rather than pulling air in through those vents. If that's the case then dust won't really be entering through those vents. However, if you're relying on the GPU fans only for bottom intake (no bottom case fans), then they will likely pull some air through those vents (in addition to the bottom vents). It's also possible if your GPU fans are strong enough that even with bottom intakes they'll pull a tad bit of air though the side as well, but I'm not sure exactly how that would play out (and in theory the bottom fans are doing the heavy lifting while the GPU fan speed stays low). If you're running bottom intakes, I'd try it without the side filter first (as filters restrict airflow) and see if you get any dust build up in the case. Couldn't hurt to have it on hand just in case if you're already paying for shipping for 1 filter though. Amazon stocks some of their stuff, which typically is a little cheaper once you consider shipping, but they didn't have that particular 2x120mm ID in stock. They did have some made for the NCase M1 bottom and top panels, which are similar in size to the 2x120mm ID, but not exactly the same (they are a bit bigger IIRC, which would make fitment more of a question).

Thanks for the info! And yeah, first thing I'm gonna do is just get the build up and running to see its thermal performance. After which I'll look into getting any dust filters, possible bottom intake fans (if they can fit!), and whatnot.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

teagone posted:

Guess I'll look into getting a magnetic filter for the bottom of the TU150 too then.

I just went with two of the Silverstone 120mm magnetic ones and slapped them on the bottom - seems like it's doing the trick thus far. A two-pack wasn't too pricey on amazon and shipped fast, which was good enough for me. Fits right over the two fans I mounted:

Also, Splinter, I ended up stealing your technique for routing the pci-e power cable over the front intake fan. This is what my completed build looks like in the TU-150:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
For those looking for SFX PSUs

Newegg has the SF750 on backorder atm
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-sf750-cp-9020186-na-750w/p/N82E16817139080

And some other good SFXs in stock
https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-fd-psu-ion-sfx-500g-bk-500w/p/N82E16817580025
https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-fd-psu-ion-sfx-650g-bk-650w/p/N82E16817580026

Picked up the 650 in preparation for a Zen 3 rebuild. Currently running an ATX (the classic Seasonic X series) in an NCASE which has amusingly ended up as the primary exhaust, which required a short GPU (mini 1070) when I put it together 4 years (!?) ago.

Basically lol gently caress GPU prices over the last 4 years. Hope AMD got their poo poo together on the GPU side as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kikuchiyo posted:

I just went with two of the Silverstone 120mm magnetic ones and slapped them on the bottom - seems like it's doing the trick thus far. A two-pack wasn't too pricey on amazon and shipped fast, which was good enough for me. Fits right over the two fans I mounted:

Oh sweet! Thanks for the tip. Might just end up doing this :)

[edit] Amazon actually has the 267mm x 147mm filters made by DEMCifilter for $17 shipped. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IABXZXO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Got one of those :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Someday, somehow, there will be a video review of the NR200 that actually shows what the gently caress it looks like with sata drives installed - people still use these things folks