Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ho ho ho, it's saint nicholbolas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Holy poo poo the dude has literally seven posts that aren't complaining about planeswalkers. :stare:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Aw man he's in trouble now.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I just encountered something that confused me last game. I played the adventure ability of Murderous Rider to try and kill a creature. My opponent used Witch's Cauldron to sac that creature; OK, fine. But then instead of being exiled with an option to play it as a creature, my Murderous Rider then ended up in the graveyard.

Why did this happen? Is it because the adventure technically couldn't be "completed"?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yes, if the Adventure spell fizzles (or gets countered) then it goes to the grave and you don't get to cast the other side from exile.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

I just encountered something that confused me last game. I played the adventure ability of Murderous Rider to try and kill a creature. My opponent used Witch's Cauldron to sac that creature; OK, fine. But then instead of being exiled with an option to play it as a creature, my Murderous Rider then ended up in the graveyard.

Why did this happen? Is it because the adventure technically couldn't be "completed"?

Sort of. The card goes into exile as part of the Adventure half resolving, so when the target was sacrificed, the spell couldn't resolve and as a result fizzled. When that happens, as a rule it just goes to the graveyard.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

fadam posted:

Of the many things SA has done wrong since it started, imo one of the worst is normalizing posting dozens of times in threads about something you hate.

At some point, you gotta let the hate go and move on.

i will never stop complaining about the homogenization of the art

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If you ever play an adventure deck with lucky clover, this is really important to be aware of as frequently you'd be in the position of having only one valid target for the original adventure card + its copy, and since the copy resolves first you'd be forced to make the original fizzle (when it doesn't say "up to one" like murderous rider)

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

Sort of. The card goes into exile as part of the Adventure half resolving, so when the target was sacrificed, the spell couldn't resolve and as a result fizzled. When that happens, as a rule it just goes to the graveyard.

Got it, thanks.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Magic Underwear posted:

The perspective is all hosed up. But what annoys me is isn't amonkhet based on ancient egypt? So why are we getting an overhead view of what appears to be ancient egyptian ruins? Presumably the story of amonkhet took place in a living society not ancient ruins. They should be showing us an egyptian village scene, or something.

I think it’s supposed to be set while Amonkhet is getting Hour of Devastated because at the bottom the river is running with blood, in which case the ruins are story-appropriate, although also extremely non ancient

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah, by the end of Hour of Devastation the city is mostly ruins. Though I think there are also ruins in the desert past the force field, which implies that there used to be other cities. Not sure if Bolas had anything to do with those though. I think Bolas took over a plane that was already self-destructing through a zombie apocalypse

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

Of the many things SA has done wrong since it started, imo one of the worst is normalizing posting dozens of times in threads about something you hate.

At some point, you gotta let the hate go and move on.

If only you could just ignore the opinions you don't agree with and move on.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
How do you deal with Brash Taunter?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

just ignore him and try to be the bigger person

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Exile it
Counter it
Beat them before it comes down
Don’t play creatures

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

-x/-x spells

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Priest of Forgotten Gods deals with him pretty well.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Exile it
Counter it
Beat them before it comes down
Don’t play creatures

go wide, swing through him

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
If you're playing limited, concede then whiskey.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Steal it, then kill them with it

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008

MisterZimbu posted:

If you're playing limited, concede then whiskey.

Having played against Brash Taunter several times in limited, and having nearly the same experience each time...I feel ya on that.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Shadowspear also negates the fight damage and removes indestructible.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2020/08/prime-slime-secret-lair-features-5-full-art-ooze-cards-for-30/

Love this art.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Holy poo poo they figured out that they shouldn't print these things in foil

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
That Voidslime flavor text is pretty great. Also, love the art; it's got a real '90s-era MTV animation feel to it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

odiv posted:

I think it has, yeah.

Speaking of Arena, I haven't updated in a while because I'm using my bandwidth for other stuff, but how bad is this?
https://twitter.com/themanaleek/status/1294285871835996166

I guess I'm off to find some streams to find out.

I have issues with motion sickness in a lot of games, but this didn't do that to me, though admittedly I wasn't staring intently at the background or anything. It's my least favorite background either way though for sure.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

God drat those are cool :homebrew:

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1295382604192120832

wotc is doing a survey for double masters. now is your time to tell them how much they suck. or not.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

About time they printed 5 of my invitational cards

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Secret Lair: Ethics in Game Journalism

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Reminds me a lot of Superjail.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

boo_radley posted:

Reminds me a lot of Superjail.

or Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
maro’s state of design for the past year, including oko and companions:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/state-design-2020-08-17

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How do we reconcile the game being kinda lovely for most of the past year while simultaneously selling better than ever despite a pandemic getting in the way?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i think game has actually been great. there were a bunch of cool sets and cards, and also i just unironically love casting oko and uro

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

fadam posted:

How do we reconcile the game being kinda lovely for most of the past year while simultaneously selling better than ever despite a pandemic getting in the way?

As an exclusively casual player, I’d guess because Arena makes it much easier to play casually a lot with your silly fun decks that aren’t good, and this last year hasn’t been so bad for those

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fadam posted:

same way i reconcile a sponge being dry, despite it having just released a bunch of water when i squeezed it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AlphaKeny1 posted:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1295382604192120832

wotc is doing a survey for double masters. now is your time to tell them how much they suck. or not.

thanks

I thought it was interesting that the survey understood "I can't afford it" but did not differentiate or offer an option of "it's too expensive", which are not identical concepts.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

fadam posted:

People are stuck in the house, so great time for Arena to shine, and it seems like people ordered a lot of stuff because they wanted to support their local store.

The game feels fine now, as far as Historic and Standard go. Historic feels a little worse since the bans, because everything is Field, Sac Variants, or Mono-R so hopefully the fall set will shake things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

little munchkin posted:

same way i reconcile a sponge being dry, despite it having just released a bunch of water when i squeezed it

You show me a sponge that’s completely dry after just squeezing a bunch of water out of it and I’ll give you a million bucks