Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if henri cartier-bresson can make do with a 50/2 so can you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:eyepop:

I'll give it a shot. Thanks everyone!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

gschmidl posted:

Understood, but as I don't really care for dragging 10 kilos of lenses with me on vacation, something's gotta give somewhere.

I did this once, and yeah, it sucked. Now I've got an RX100 for that reason.

BambooTelegraph
Jan 19, 2010
I hope this is the right place for this question.

I’ve been thinking about getting into cameras, to learn a new skill. I saw a listing for a Canon T6 for about 150 with two lenses. Is there anything I should know about the T6 before I buy it?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
The T# line (without the i at the end) are pretty low end DSLR's that lag a generation or two behind the T#i line from what I've seen. That said, for $150 including lenses it's a very low stakes way to dip your toes into digital photography. It will still take good photos and have the ability to take very good ones with some decent glass.

What are the lenses? I'm guessing the two lenses that were bundled with it as a kit, likely a 18-50mm and 75-300mm?

BambooTelegraph
Jan 19, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The T# line (without the i at the end) are pretty low end DSLR's that lag a generation or two behind the T#i line from what I've seen. That said, for $150 including lenses it's a very low stakes way to dip your toes into digital photography. It will still take good photos and have the ability to take very good ones with some decent glass.

What are the lenses? I'm guessing the two lenses that were bundled with it as a kit, likely a 18-50mm and 75-300mm?

Got it in one. Are they any good?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BambooTelegraph posted:

They're good starter lenses. They'll let you explore photography and figure out where you want to spend money on lenses in the future. Their biggest weakness is probably that they have a fairly small aperture (the number after "F", larger means less light let through), which means you'll have to increase your shutter speed and/or your ISO when you're working with less light. They'll allow you to explore what you like to shoot and how so that when you decide to buy more glass you know what you want to be looking for.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BambooTelegraph posted:

Good is a relative term, you can certainly take great photos with them, are they as 'good' a lens as say an EF 400mm f/2.8L III that costs $10k no.

You can however pick up a 50mm f/1.8 STM (nifty fifty) for cheap and this will give you a lens that will deliver sharp photos and allow for that smooth background effect that people want from DSLRs. On a "crop" body like the T6 it's a bit tight (as in you can fit less things in frame) but it's good for portraits and headshots.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BambooTelegraph posted:

Certainly they are $150 including camera good. You'll come out ahead of you want to upgrade at least.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The low level stuff is what I'd recommend to tide you over until the good mirrorless tech trickles down to make a leap to a decent platform, should you want to upgrade. Canon is very much in an all or nothing transitioning period right now.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Wondering if the difference between:
-Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 DI VC USD (IS, USM) for $800 used
and
-Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II at $1200 used
or
-Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 DI VC USD G2 at $1200
or
-Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 Sports at $1200

Is worth the 50% greater price? Money is a concern, $1200 is out of budget but could be stretched to.
Main goals; First, better low-light performance (indoor sporting events) and second, better sharpness.
Current lens: Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3
on a 7D

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For me it's the Canon because buying used Canon glass is like a free, indefinite, rental.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Both the Sigma and the Tamron G2 test better than the Canon. It's super slight and only pixel peepers will notice, so I only bring it up to point out that they are excellent pieces of gear.

I don't know anything about the non-G2 Tamron.

If the Canon, Sigma, and Tamron G2 are all really the same price I'd get the Canon because of the value retention like excuse me said. But if one is cheaper, or you really want non-used, get the others.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I wouldn't buy a non-G2 tamron tbh, but the G2's are solid and on equal footing with Canon glass. I have that 70-200 G2 and it's my favorite lens.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

Wondering if the difference between:
-Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 DI VC USD (IS, USM) for $800 used
and
-Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II at $1200 used
or
or
-Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 Sports at $1200

Is worth the 50% greater price? Money is a concern, $1200 is out of budget but could be stretched to.
Main goals; First, better low-light performance (indoor sporting events) and second, better sharpness.
Current lens: Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3
on a 7D

I see the Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 II used for $1000-$1100 very frequently, so keep your eyes open. I'd probably go with that one just based on what Um Excuse Me said. Looking back at Fred Miranda sales, the G2 and Sigma Sports have sold for < $800 used a few times, but they don't come on the market very often.

The Canon and the Tamron G2 are 300 grams lighter than the Sigma Sports, for what that's worth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

I wouldn't buy a non-G2 tamron tbh, but the G2's are solid and on equal footing with Canon glass. I have that 70-200 G2 and it's my favorite lens.

The stabilization on it is bonkers. Some might hate how sticky it is, it lags hard if you try to pan, but if you're actually trying to hold steady the 5 stops they claim it gives you feels conservative.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The G2 70-200 would be my favorite lens if I didn't have the Sigma 18-35/1.8.

BambooTelegraph
Jan 19, 2010

um excuse me posted:

The low level stuff is what I'd recommend to tide you over until the good mirrorless tech trickles down to make a leap to a decent platform, should you want to upgrade. Canon is very much in an all or nothing transitioning period right now.

Sadly they sold it of to someone else. I’m not sure what to get at this point, or just wait until I can afford a mirrorless :(

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

There's a G2 that just went up on Fred Miranda for $875 if you want to pull the trigger now.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1659818

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

There's a G2 that just went up on Fred Miranda for $875 if you want to pull the trigger now.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1659818

Thank you so much!

Any suggestions/warnings for a Luddite on buying expensive stuff person-to-person over the internet via paypal?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

Thank you so much!

Any suggestions/warnings for a Luddite on buying expensive stuff person-to-person over the internet via paypal?

That person has a pretty extensive feedback history and Paypal theoretically insures you against scams, so I wouldn't be too worried on that end. If you have a new FredMiranda account you may have a harder time getting them to trust you, so you may need to figure that out.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

That person has a pretty extensive feedback history and Paypal theoretically insures you against scams, so I wouldn't be too worried on that end. If you have a new FredMiranda account you may have a harder time getting them to trust you, so you may need to figure that out.

Yes, their reviews allayed my concerns. After that and some reading up on Paypal, I'll have a new lens in a few days. :dance: Thanks again for the heads up.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

Yes, their reviews allayed my concerns. After that and some reading up on Paypal, I'll have a new lens in a few days. :dance: Thanks again for the heads up.

Nice! Glad it worked out for you.

I bought the EF-S 55-250mm STM to go with my new M50. Man, for $100 used that lens is such a steal. Fits great on a M body with the adapter as well. Wish I could say the same for my 150-600mm :negative:

BambooTelegraph
Jan 19, 2010
At this point, I’m not really sure what to get, but a beginner camera that will allow me to learn might be good. If it is able to shoot 720p that would be perfect. What would you recommend?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm looking to upgrade my camera, but on somewhat of a budget. Currently using an entry level Rebel T6, and I'm looking at used 5D mark iis. Is roughly 500 dollars a reasonable expectation?

I mostly shoot landscapes but I'm also starting to get into astro.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

BambooTelegraph posted:

At this point, I’m not really sure what to get, but a beginner camera that will allow me to learn might be good. If it is able to shoot 720p that would be perfect. What would you recommend?

Is there a reason you'd like to go dslr? What would you like to take pictures of? What is your budget? And can you achieve the same with just a smartphone?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Big McHuge posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my camera, but on somewhat of a budget. Currently using an entry level Rebel T6, and I'm looking at used 5D mark iis. Is roughly 500 dollars a reasonable expectation?

I mostly shoot landscapes but I'm also starting to get into astro.

That price sounds about right to me. A used 6D typically goes for a fairly similar price, but seems like it has a better sensor, which would definitely benefit you doing astro stuff? You're also getting kinda close to the price point a used RP might go for if mirrorless interested you.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

That price sounds about right to me. A used 6D typically goes for a fairly similar price, but seems like it has a better sensor, which would definitely benefit you doing astro stuff? You're also getting kinda close to the price point a used RP might go for if mirrorless interested you.

Huh, thanks for the info. It does seem to be around the same price, I wonder why the 5D mark ii isn't cheaper.

Also, I would love to eventually go mirrorless, but I don't want to swap lens systems and I recall there being battery usage issues with older mirrorless systems.

BambooTelegraph
Jan 19, 2010

starbucks hermit posted:

Is there a reason you'd like to go dslr? What would you like to take pictures of? What is your budget? And can you achieve the same with just a smartphone?

I know that mirrorless is the future, but I figure it would be good to learn on something that's been around for ages. Ideally, I would like to take photos of my kiddo and doggo.

Probably 200ish. I had hoped to pick up that t6 for 150, but it looks like it wasn't meant to be. I could achieve the same with a smartphone, but I guess I would eventually like to learn photography due to nobody else in my family having that background skill.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

BambooTelegraph posted:

I know that mirrorless is the future, but I figure it would be good to learn on something that's been around for ages. Ideally, I would like to take photos of my kiddo and doggo.

Probably 200ish. I had hoped to pick up that t6 for 150, but it looks like it wasn't meant to be. I could achieve the same with a smartphone, but I guess I would eventually like to learn photography due to nobody else in my family having that background skill.

I bet there are a lot of other rebel kits out there for that much. Maybe not as new as a T6 but certainly a T5 and a lens is realistic.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Local sales pages like Fb marketplace, Craigslist, etc, are always full of entry level DSLRs because someone bought one to take pictures of their dog or their kids, realised that it was much bigger and bulkier than their phone, and just left it on a shelf every time they went out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

Local sales pages like Fb marketplace, Craigslist, etc, are always full of entry level DSLRs because someone bought one to take pictures of their dog or their kids, realised that it was much bigger and bulkier than their phone, and just left it on a shelf every time they went out.

Just be aware that people who buy entry-level gear new have no idea what its actual value on the used market is and will often try to sell used gear for $50 less than they paid for it 5 years ago. Checking eBay prices for recently sold gear is probably the best way to get an idea of reasonable prices.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://www.eoshd.com/8k/removing-internal-battery-resets-eos-r5-overheat-timer-are-canons-pants-now-completely-down/

It seems that the cool down turn off in the r5 is entirely software based and has no relation to the hardware temps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That person seems very angry.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

xzzy posted:

That person seems very angry.

I think he shouldn't have dropped $4000 on something he was suspicious of in the first place but I think it'd be good for Canon to explain why they designed it this way.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 21, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, Canon are clearly being assholes (and their marketing is worse for bragging about the 8k so heavily) but I just can't be mad about it. We've known since day one this thing was crippled and people are still buying it (and it's backordered two months).

But I'm super biased because I don't give a single poo poo about taking video.

I guess the upside is is that since the camera obviously isn't cooking itself to death Canon could eventually be all "oopsie our bad" and disable the limit in firmware. Or maybe magic lantern can hack it at some point.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I mean.. its still a great photo camera. We can all agree that Canon marketed it wrong.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
People have found a (super awkward) work around for the timer now - https://www.eoshd.com/news/this-is-my-canon-eos-r5-recording-8k-video-50-minutes-straight-until-empty-battery-video-evidence/

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This angry baby is getting tiresome. "We pay the money. We decide what is appropriate behaviour from Canon"

Yes, I'm sure this company valued at 228 billion yen is in desperate need of your $4500 and continued patronage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
They are making assumptions that this setup is not for a valid technical reason. Potentially Canon identified complex thermal issues with recording video and determined that temperature sensors alone could not be always be relied on, maybe they made a call that the timer was needed to protect people's hardware and cards from damage or data from corruption, it would be worse for Canon if for example people's video was corrupted or cameras/CFExpress cards were damaged.

There are potentially multiple sources of heat/issues with recording high bitrate video, the sensor, CPU+RAM and the CFExpress cards which throttle on overheating possibly below the speed required for certain video types. It could be a bit of hack because the thermal management algorithms were not yet fully developed to determine all the factors but release was coming up. Given the fuss and accusations Canon may feel they need to make a statement now though.