Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Honestly, just following roads or landmarks from the nearest airport.

My buddy wanted to see his wife’s old house, which I had only visited once, and I managed to track it down by starting at a nearby airport, navigating to an easy to identify highway, then just spotting/counting turns in the neighborhood.

I did some drone camera stuff and obviously “street level” is pretty rough around the edges but man if you pull back even 1500ft into the air and catch the right angle, a small town can look photoreal.

Now I’m praying that our afternoon T storms materialize here to see if the real weather catches them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I don't have the game yet but it's probably possible to program your house's coordinates into the GPS.

Otherwise you can try to navigate by following roads.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Look at a map

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

androo posted:

How are you all navigating to your houses, etc? I'd love to make a quick flight plan of a tour of my home state. Does the HUD show any of these points on the ground?

e: Steam noob / US citizen, so I don't have it yet, sorry if it's obvious.

I literally clicked on my town and was over my house in 1 minute, got lucky I guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Unfortunately the world map is super low-res and doesn't have any details other than airports and a few pins for large cities. I think it's kinda dumb that with all the Bing Maps stuff they didn't put in a simple street map overlay since that's what most people will recognize.

I suspect that will be easy enough to mod in if people want it, though. It would be especially cool if you could overlay sectional charts

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Getting a crash to desktop on launch now, I might as well just wait another 10 hours. Christ.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Zero One posted:

I don't have the game yet but it's probably possible to program your house's coordinates into the GPS.

Otherwise you can try to navigate by following roads.

Squirrel just posted a kinda hacky text edit method to import coordinates into the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AjspC0Acfo

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

androo posted:

Really? What time zone?
The twilight zone!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

new people shoudl check out https://www.skyvector.com for some basic vfr map action, it has terrain, navaids, markers for obstacles, weather, metars... it's good, and meant for real aviation i guess. you can type flight plans into it.

following roads is the easiest thing to do to confirm you are, but also identifying bodies of water is another great way. also power lines

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 17, 2020

sum
Nov 15, 2010

androo posted:

How are you all navigating to your houses, etc? I'd love to make a quick flight plan of a tour of my home state. Does the HUD show any of these points on the ground?

There's undoubtedly many ways but in other flight sims my general way of finding specific places is

1. Go to https://x-plane.cleverest.eu/
2. Find the place of interest
3. Make a note of a nearby airport (should be one within a few miles pretty much anywhere in the US) and generally what direction the POI is from it
4. Figure out landmarks that will be easy to find in the air in the sim (major roads, rivers, hills, downtown areas, whatever -- for your own house you definitely know several already)
5. Load into your local airport, takeoff, orient yourself with your landmarks and fly to the place

Assuming you know your local geography it'll probably be a lot easier than you think.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Was flying around my town when I heard rain outside of my real life window. So I looked behind me in the game and saw dark clouds above the area where my house is. Game owns, 10/10.

You have no idea how wild of a feeling that is.

edit: Also, was getting 25 - 30 FPS in downtown Detroit on ultra settings on a Radeon 5700 XT. I can tolerate 30FPS flight, so I'm really pleased that ultra settings run so well in a lot of places on my computer. I'm sure that framerate will tank when I use planes with complex avionics and in denser cities, so the graphics settings are definitely something I'll have to constantly tweak depending on where I'm flying.

Also, still can't use my premium planes. Dunno what gives. Anyone with the deluxe versions able to use theirs?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 17, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

http://www.openflightmaps.org is a good source for VFR maps in Europe

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also, still can't use my premium planes. Dunno what gives. Anyone with the deluxe versions able to use theirs?

They probably wont' be available until tomorrow.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
How do I change what monitor the game launches on? I got it through gamepass, and it's currently launching on my 4k monitor instead of my 1440p monitor which I game on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Romes128 posted:

How do I change what monitor the game launches on? I got it through gamepass, and it's currently launching on my 4k monitor instead of my 1440p monitor which I game on.

I think it picks whichever monitor is set as your primary in your desktop settings. You can just change that whenever you're playing the game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo these fspackage files are taking forever to download. I'm still only about 1/3 of the way through the 90GB total download. Is it worth trying to restart this or is this about what everyone else is seeing? I'm also scared that I won't be able to reconnect if I close the window.. But at this rate it's not going to be done for another 5 hours.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think it picks whichever monitor is set as your primary in your desktop settings. You can just change that whenever you're playing the game.

Yea I had my 1440p as my main monitor already. There’s no in game setting to change monitors. I ended up changing to windowed mode and dragging it over then putting it back at full screen.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo these fspackage files are taking forever to download. I'm still only about 1/3 of the way through the 90GB total download. Is it worth trying to restart this or is this about what everyone else is seeing? I'm also scared that I won't be able to reconnect if I close the window.. But at this rate it's not going to be done for another 5 hours.

it kinda picks up a bit in the second half because the files are bigger

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

fuf posted:

it kinda picks up a bit in the second half because the files are bigger

Okay cool, I did actually just notice that it's been going through multiple packages so it's doing more than nothing which is good.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I did the tutorial at medium setting, maybe a bit too low, but wanted to get a baseline for how the game will run. I am getting 60 FPS solid at 3440x1440 with a 1080ti and 3900x so not as bad as I expected.

Edit: about 50 FPS at high, great.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 17, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Romes128 posted:

Yea I had my 1440p as my main monitor already. There’s no in game setting to change monitors. I ended up changing to windowed mode and dragging it over then putting it back at full screen.

shift+windows key+arrow keys will let you shift which screen a program is fullscreened on

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/svnewsalerts/status/1295364391559405568?s=21

Okay, which one of you was this, fess up

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Ridiculously, this is playing for me on an old 670 and 8gb of ram. It's not great, but it's running on low.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

gently caress's sake, I know they put a ton of effort into the cloud/skies because you'll be looking at it a lot but this looks real.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vando posted:

shift+windows key+arrow keys will let you shift which screen a program is fullscreened on

Didn't know that. Thanks!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Am I seriously going to have to map every single joystick motion on my X52?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Welp, turns out every lake in my area is elevated 50m above the surrounding terrain. It looks really weird and alien-ish. What's the easiest way to screenshot a Game Pass game?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

androo posted:

Get your coordinates from google maps, paste them into the world map’s search field, and it’ll drop a pin, which you can add to your flight plan.

Then to make it really easy, turn on markers in the difficulty settings, so you can see it in the world.

I tried following roads, but everything in my city is under a ridiculous forest canopy that shouldn’t be there, so it was impossible.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I finally got everything downloaded and fired it up. There's a few disappointments so far such as monster trees hiding my house and the lack of fire lookouts at the top of mountains that have them, but it looks great and runs great on a 3GB 1060 so far.

Anyone seen a cheat sheet for the default keyboard commands? I'm so lost and keep hitting commands which gently caress everything up.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

ymgve posted:

Welp, turns out every lake in my area is elevated 50m above the surrounding terrain. It looks really weird and alien-ish. What's the easiest way to screenshot a Game Pass game?

Just hit the printscreen key to bring up the snip & sketch tool and hit the full screen option. or you could bring up the XBOX™ FOR WINDOWS™ GAMEBAR® thing if you got it installed, might be installed by default these days? I dunno, but it's winkey+g or if you're using an xbox controller the xbox button and there's screen capture stuff in there including setting shortcuts and poo poo.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ymgve posted:

Windows key + alt + printscreen will save it in a folder called Captures

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Anyone seen a cheat sheet for the default keyboard commands? I'm so lost and keep hitting commands which gently caress everything up.

Back in the yonder days of the beta someone on the forum made this PDF with all the default keys. some might of changed idk. http://www.mediafire.com/file/3mxklezko33ywym/file

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Did someone post a while back that you can use a WMR headset as TrackIR?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

Am I seriously going to have to map every single joystick motion on my X52?

It worked right out of the box for me. What are you seeing?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Of course, now that it's nearing midnight, Steam becomes unreachable here. I guess that's for joking about the Install button.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Are there any options for sensitivity for the controller? As someone else pointed out, it's way too sensitive. Also I am not sure I understand the trim part of the tutorial. It says to hit Y + UP on the xbox controller to set trim level, but when I release the left stick the plane just dives. Looks and runs great so far, found my house after taking off from PDX.

Edit: I think I got the trim issue resolved.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 17, 2020

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Get your coordinates from google maps, paste them into the world map’s search field, and it’ll drop a pin, which you can add to your flight plan.

Then to make it really easy, turn on markers in the difficulty settings, so you can see it in the world.

I tried following roads, but everything in my city is under a ridiculous forest canopy that shouldn’t be there, so it was impossible.

Good to know! I have some friends interested in me streaming some stuff in our Discord, and we're all from the same hometown, so I was hoping I could drop some pins when they think of stuff to check out.

I figured it had to be something simple like that.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Rusty posted:

Are there any options for sensitivity for the controller?

yeah the options for controller sensitivity are in the options menu for controller sensitivity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I had a lovely trip up from Gibraltar to Seville which unfortunately ended in tragedy as the engine cut (I think I was out of fuel, although it said it has 30% left). My fault I guess but I'm wondering if the map could do with a range info that tells you if the plane you have chosen is capable from a fuel perspective.

Absolutely amazing scenery though. drat near photorealistic.