Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that's actually supposed to be Japan? That's what showed up when I searched for "Zipangri".

I have seen detached california a lot though. Not hard to imagine why European explorers might've just assumed that the gulf of california would just open up at some point and not spend an extra few months making sure.

Ah I guess that isn't supposed to be California there then. But here's what I was thinking of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_of_California

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Which river is the mississippi and what's the other? I assume the forking one?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

I have to admit Terra Florida is a awesome name. It should have stayed that way, instead of using the name just for the peninsula.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Which river is the mississippi and what's the other? I assume the forking one?
Given the general accuracy of that map they're probably both the Mississippi, just drawn from different information.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Given the general accuracy of that map they're probably both the Mississippi, just drawn from different information.

If one is being generous, maybe one is Mobile Bay?

Pretty sure the river dividing the yellow and green areas is the Rio Grande.
VVV

Geshtal fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 13, 2020

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'd say the forked one is the Mississippi-Missouri.

Maybe the other is the Rio Grande?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
I would say the river could be the Sabine River, which currently flows between Texas and Louisiana. It was important enough to be the international boundary between Spain and the USA, then Mexico and the USA, and finally Texas and the USA.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I'm more concerned about the 2000 mile long boat in the pacific.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

a map of anglo-saxon China ( or the Cyngedom of Mideland)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PawParole posted:

Are we sure Blackdrake Rush isn't a WoW dungeon

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PawParole posted:

There's definitely some liberties taken with this

Pakled posted:

Are we sure Blackdrake Rush isn't a WoW dungeon

The literal translation of that region is "Black Dragon River"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like some of the talk about how native americans just didn't understand the concept of sovereignty over land veers a lot towards the whole "noble savage" thing.

Yeah it's not noble savage poo poo, it's that the modern nation-state that can be painted on a map with hard borders is a very specifically european idea from the recent past.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah it's not noble savage poo poo, it's that the modern nation-state that can be painted on a map with hard borders is a very specifically european idea from the recent past.

That's patently false. Yes the lack of good surveying techniques and incomplete information made it exceedingly difficult to figure out what was where and in what shape, but States of all sorts have been finding ways to say "This is our poo poo and that is your poo poo and no one crosses this abstract line." since the Bronze Age on the Middle East. It is in no way a European idea. And Native Americans sure as hell had functioning states equivalent to european ones made of sedentary agricultural peoples. Aztecs, Inca's, Mayans, and others operated in the same ways old world states did. The idea they didn't is exactly the kinda "Noble Savage" myth meant to justify treating them as lesser.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There seem to be a lot of these weird semi-myths about American natives. They were and are human beings, and they did all of the things that humans do. Many of the North American tribes were not nomadic, or only partly, and they did not 'live in harmony with nature'. There are quite a few examples of them overexploiting the environment. It is now even believed that the 'pristine' pre-Columbian Amazon rainforest was actually already shaped by human activity to a large extent.

e: btw, I'm in 66,700th place right now. #journeyto5000

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 14, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

That's patently false. Yes the lack of good surveying techniques and incomplete information made it exceedingly difficult to figure out what was where and in what shape, but States of all sorts have been finding ways to say "This is our poo poo and that is your poo poo and no one crosses this abstract line." since the Bronze Age on the Middle East. It is in no way a European idea. And Native Americans sure as hell had functioning states equivalent to european ones made of sedentary agricultural peoples. Aztecs, Inca's, Mayans, and others operated in the same ways old world states did. The idea they didn't is exactly the kinda "Noble Savage" myth meant to justify treating them as lesser.

I feel like you're not getting my point, but it's late and I'm extraordinarily high so imma drop it. Like I agree with y'all. As recompense, I don't have a map, but I do have the greatest song ever written: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmHsKdpPTPk

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

PawParole posted:

This is definitely not a China thing but I always wish that Imperial Japanese ships in WW2 could have their names translated in histories and it always pisses me off that they aren't.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Like I want "Hiryu" called "Flying Dragon" and such and such.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Spazzle posted:

I'm more concerned about the 2000 mile long boat in the pacific.

Zipango :D

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jehde posted:

Thanks, I hate them.

Seriously, any other hypothetical map is fine, but once your start cutting and pasting coastlines, my brain goes:

https://twitter.com/eyeballslicer/status/1294001807614717959

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

No irregular coastlines, s'fine.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I don't remember if somebody posted this already

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Weird the countries that they left out. Oman, Qatar, Libya, Turkey, Pakistan, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Afghanistan, and Pakistan aren't the middle east I guess.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Oops, I posted that in the charts thread instead of here.

Also note the map takes Sudan's side in its territorial dispute with Egypt.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Weird the countries that they left out. Oman, Qatar, Libya, Turkey, Pakistan, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Afghanistan, and Pakistan aren't the middle east I guess.

Libya is in Africa. Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia in Transcaucasia. Afghanistan and Pakistan in South Asia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If anywhere is part of the "middle east", Bir Tawil is.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Turkey and the three ex-Soviet countries (plus Cyprus) sometimes get put into Europe.
And Afghanistan is the Missouri of Asia, hard to choose where it best belongs (Middle East? Central Asia? South Asia??)
Pakistan though is firmly South Asia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Leaving out Oman and the gulf states is bizarre tho.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

To be fair if you include too much territory the printed map is going to be really small, and difficult to draw on

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've always liked this map from Wikipedia, which shows the common "core" territories and other overlapping regions.

It's pretty hard to say Armenia or Afghanistan is part of the Middle East, but for various reasons they're often included in the same discussions.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

It's not hard at all to argue that Armenia is in the Middle East.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the middle east is quantum, and exists everywhere until you look.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

double nine posted:

the U.S. Midwest is quantum, and exists everywhere until you look.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I'm always confused as to why Pakistan is considered a part of the Middle East. The culture, language cuisine etc is almost exactly the same as North India.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What's really fucky is the "Near East." Somehow, all of the Near East is also part of the Middle East by most definitions, and by some definitions, they're the same.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

ToxicAcne posted:

I'm always confused as to why Pakistan is considered a part of the Middle East. The culture, language cuisine etc is almost exactly the same as North India.

They're muslim

Edit. I don't agree with it but that's probably why people think of them as ME

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Count Roland posted:

I've always liked this map from Wikipedia, which shows the common "core" territories and other overlapping regions.

It's pretty hard to say Armenia or Afghanistan is part of the Middle East, but for various reasons they're often included in the same discussions.

That's just a map of Muslim majority countries minus Southeastern Asia plus the Caucasus for some reason.

Grouping Central Asia with the Levant is a bit farfetched.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Fader Movitz posted:

They're muslims

To be fair, so is Bangladesh and Indonesia.

e: f,b

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's just a map of Muslim majority countries minus Southeastern Asia plus the Caucasus for some reason.

This is extremely wrong in both the sense that everything colored is majority Muslim, and that anything not colored isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Georgia is about 10% Muslim and is colored as is Armenia which is almost entirely Christian.