Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The "idol culture" part factors in with hololive consistently handling this stuff poorly, but a lot of it is standard online harassment. I've heard of multiple vtubers where this stuff had been following them from their prior online presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

That's really sad, virtual tubers are wonderful and that dragon one aloe looked promising. :( (She was a succubus in training, aaaah! The wasted potential.)

She's not fired yet, just on a two week hiatus, but if Hololive/Cover don't feel like she's worth the trouble they'll get rid of her. I feel like Cover (the management company) is in over their head/bad at their jobs/both. Mio is on a month hiatus because they let her account get copyright struck twice, which she had to apologize for (what a useful management company). Also, Towa had to go on a two week break a while back because people heard a male voice at the end of one of her videos. It's all kinds of hosed up and they should stop pandering to these elements of their fanbase.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly 'management company' when it comes to streamers feels like the most useless and predatory thing there could be

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Here's a 3D model we paid a couple grand for and an app we downloaded off the app store, that'll be 30% of your income forever please.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Also if you get stalked we'll do gently caress all about it for a while.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Captain Cappy posted:

Can an expert tell me why Aloe is getting cancelled? The western fans are all saying it is because someone found out she had/has a boyfriend and toxic idol fan culture took its course. The Japanese fans are all saying it is because she did a test stream she did not delete, which is a contract breach (who the gently caress cares), and because after cyberstalking her everywhere they found out she said Chitose at Nijisanji was fired/quit because someone doxxed her. Honestly seems like western fans are right and the people making a fuss are just trying to come up with post-hoc reasons to hate on her. gently caress the police.

From my understanding, someone managed to find Nene's personal twitter by cross referencing pictures she drew and posted on her vtuber twitter with pixiv accounts until they found one with a similar artstyle. They then found the rest of gen 5 by looking at who she followed. Aloe had a bunch of posts about how she liked having sex with different men and this is a cardinal sin in the eyes of idol fans. They then somehow found a test stream with 3 views from May which was privated but had her Hololive character in the thumbnail, and also a stream under a different persona where she talked about how she was going to join a vtuber group and would have to delete her account because they don't let you interact with men on voice chat or have a boyfriend. She also talked about how Chitose quit because she was doxxed and a stalker came to her house. So the Japanese fans say that it's because she was revealing company secrets, which might be why Cover suspended her, but i can't imagine anyone giving a poo poo about that without already having a reason to hate on her.

So you can pick your narrative between Cover being pissed that she talked about the restrictions they put on their talent, or not giving a poo poo and just using it as an excuse to punish her to try and appease the idol weirdos who make up their revenue stream.

Endorph posted:

frankly 'management company' when it comes to streamers feels like the most useless and predatory thing there could be

They seem totally incompetent what with deleting 2 years of archives because they were too dumb to sort out the legal side of their entire business model, but the new girls got 200k subscribers in their first week, so it's hard to deny they offer value to the streamers.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hrm...Methinks maybe idols are not "woke" after all.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

finally swearing off game streamers as a not-rewarding-enough timesink and getting back into anime instead only for all the anime nerds to suddenly get really into game streamers has been an interesting twist

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tales of Woe posted:

finally swearing off game streamers as a not-rewarding-enough timesink and getting back into anime instead only for all the anime nerds to suddenly get really into game streamers has been an interesting twist

Going to read manga to get away from both

gently caress

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
(Kaguya-sama spoilers) Shirogane Papa becoming a legitimately successful streamer has been a fun little story arc.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

CJ posted:

words

half of this is just untrue so really be careful about what you believe and spread when it comes to information that people tiptoe around due to it being dirt on someone's personal life and 'industry secrets'. digging into tabloid stuff and spreading it because you're righteously offended or w/e isn't less damaging than if you were an anti

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

half of this is just untrue so really be careful about what you believe and spread when it comes to information that people tiptoe around due to it being dirt on someone's personal life and 'industry secrets'. digging into tabloid stuff and spreading it because you're righteously offended or w/e isn't less damaging than if you were an anti

Wots the real story then

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I've seen the evidence of her twitcast and it's basically just her reading part of the Definition section on the Japanese Idol wikipedia page. The idea that she somehow leaked parts of her future contract with Hololive is laughable (not that you should give a gently caress anyways). At the end she mentions that Chitose quit because she got doxxed and didn't want it to escalate further; she did not even say anything about Nijisanji which is what people are harping about. In conclusion, Antis are dumb, throw rocks at them.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the main points that you can find on her video or on reddit and such are true. her rig and the comments on insider nijisanji stuff were in there. other stuff shouldn't be pried into deeply, but basically it was someone's private twitter, was horny a lot so that's super embarrassing to have put on a huge message board. also, not in their post: the inciting stuff that got 5ch to harass her was having found tweets about liking korea/koreans.

i don't like that the official statements make no effort to point out that this happened because of targeted harassment, they just soak up responsibility with stock responses. on the other hand, 2 weeks could be a necessary break for someone who is being harassed and doxxed and her tweets exposed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait did she have sex with korean dudes. is that what this is about

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
kind of wild that all of this fuss would be over someone whos vtuber persona is a succubus

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

wait did she have sex with korean dudes. is that what this is about

Probably.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Space Flower posted:

kind of wild that all of this fuss would be over someone whos vtuber persona is a succubus

Yeah nobody went after Uzaki when she was a vtuber.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

I just like collabs and utawakus, game streaming is still Fail, unless it's about anime girls living in a minecraft town

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

game streaming is win

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

snail watch me play undermine once i find an artoria rig

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I guess I "get" vtubers but whatever tech they are using to match up facial expressions without a buttload of sensors just isn't there yet and it annoys the crap out of me whenever I see a clip of them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Aurora posted:

snail watch me play undermine once i find an artoria rig
I understand maybe three words of this, but you have my support

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

is it 'snail' 'once' and 'artoria'

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

what's a "snail"

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

u r XD

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feldegast42 posted:

I guess I "get" vtubers but whatever tech they are using to match up facial expressions without a buttload of sensors just isn't there yet and it annoys the crap out of me whenever I see a clip of them

what tech to match up facial expressions, 90% of them just have expressions on a set of hotkeys

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
artoria twice, snail once

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some independent vtubers don't have a live2d at all, just a self-drawn 2d portrait. ichimi renge doing 3 hour long streams of her drawing lesbian maids with herself represented by a still image of an orange fox girl

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Feldegast42 posted:

I constantly bob around like a fighting game idle animation in an effort to look more realistic in my daily life.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Vtubers are good, generally

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I've watched some Korone highlights and they made me happy IMO

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

vtubers are good, but management is bad if maybe a necessary evil

nijisanji seems alright at least

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh theres plenty of independent vtubers who do alright for themselves

management is basically just a landlord class that managed to latch onto an emerging trend

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The management sucks extreme rear end, yeah. The whole situation with Aloe is kind of insane, and that's only the most recent problem with them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the weeks of cross promotion that hololive pulls in anticipation of new guys is hard to compete with, when people like botan can get up to 100k subs within an hour of even existing

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Colonel posted:

what tech to match up facial expressions, 90% of them just have expressions on a set of hotkeys

Oh, I thought that they had a camera or something to read their reactions and then it would transcribe it into anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean they have tracking but there are various different kinds and several of the popular vtubers go for a pretty simple one that just tracks simple mouth movements rather than trying to do something more complicated

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

The Colonel posted:

some independent vtubers don't have a live2d at all, just a self-drawn 2d portrait. ichimi renge doing 3 hour long streams of her drawing lesbian maids with herself represented by a still image of an orange fox girl

This one is the best avatar i've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN8ZiDH7ojY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
The big issues are in PR statements coupled with vtubing being a shaky and new territory and hololive are the biggest target. Bad management means holding your performers back from doing the best they can and want to do, yet the talent is massively successful. Despite all the "he wants to make them all IDOLS!!" jokes, Haato is operating at one shitpost a day and Coco is reading off reddit memes to Japan. Matsuri's constantly playing Apex with random tubers (boys and girls) and talking about getting pussy. Korone stays up all night playing games made 20 years ago.

There's a non-negligible amount of work that is being done for them with tech, rigging, brand support, etc. And rather than seeing them bleeding talent, we instead have people giving up the years they built up at the next biggest agencies to go work with hololive.