Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't they drop off a dead homeless guy dressed up as a british officer with papers saying "we're definitely going to attack calais" specifically to make him think that?
Along with the greatest double-agent ever

quote:

Operation FORTITUDE

In January 1944 the Germans told Pujol that they believed that the Allies were preparing for a large-scale invasion of Europe and that they looked to him to keep them informed of developments. This prepared the way for what was to be GARBO's greatest coup.

The German High Command's assessment of the Allies' intentions was correct. Under the codename OVERLORD, British and American plans for an invasion of Occupied Europe were indeed under way. What the Germans did not know, however, was that part of the plan involved a massive piece of deception - in the form of Operation FORTITUDE, in which GARBO was to play a leading role.

Between January 1944 and D-Day over 500 radio messages (four transmissions a day) passed between GARBO and Madrid who in turn re-transmitted them direct to Berlin. The reports, which came from all parts of the GARBO network, disguised the status of the OVERLORD preparations, but also served another important purpose.

During the early invasion planning stages it was decided that if the landings were to be given the best chance of success the German High Command would need to be misled over where precisely they would take place. Once the actual point of attack - the Normandy beaches - was decided upon, the next move was to persuade the Germans that the invasion force would actually land much further to the north, in the area of the Pas de Calais (which Hitler had thought was the most likely arrival point all along).

What is more, the Allied planners believed that this fiction could be maintained even after the landings had taken place. GARBO's agents would report authoritatively that the Normandy landings were no more than a ruse and that the main attack was still to come in the Pas de Calais.

To support this objective the Security Service agents and their case officers were carefully primed to convey information, often in mere snippets, all designed to point in one direction. Like an elaborate jigsaw puzzle, each piece would contribute to a picture, the full significance of which was only confirmed when it was complete.

At the heart of the deception plan was an entire "ghost" army, the First US Army Group (FUSAG). This supposedly comprised 11 non-existent divisions (150,000 men) under the command of General George S. Patton, renowned as one of the Allies' best tank commanders. The FUSAG was seemingly poised in Kent and Essex ready to join the invasion - well away from the real invasion force massing to the west. Other Security Service agents were used to substantiate the deception plan. They were so successful that German Intelligence, and, more importantly, the German High Command believed the false story completely.

To encourage them into believing that the Normandy landings were a mere diversion and that the main thrust was still to come in the Calais area, it was arranged that on 5 June GARBO would warn them to stand by for an urgent message at 03:00 on 6 June (the day of the landings). At this point he would report from an "agent" he had acquired in an assembly camp in Southampton that things were on the move, troops were being issued with embarkation kit, including vomit bags, and all signs were that the invasion force was about to leave for France.

Unaccountably, however, the German radio operator failed to keep the scheduled appointment on air. The full significance of the missed message dawned on German Intelligence the day after the invasion, earning GARBO additional credit for reliability. To rub salt in the wound, GARBO told his German contacts of his disgust at not being heard on air the previous day: "I cannot accept excuses or negligence. Were it not for my ideals I would abandon the work".

On June 9, D-Day +3, GARBO sent perhaps his most important message of all. It was very long and reported a meeting that he had had with his agents that day. GARBO asked that it be conveyed urgently to the German High Command. Pointing out that the First US Army Group under Patton had not yet moved from South East England, GARBO reported authoritatively that the purpose of the "diversionary" Normandy landings was to help ensure the success of the forthcoming assault on the Pas de Calais.

The Germans accepted this claim, the culmination of Operation FORTITUDE, as accurate. It deceived them so completely that throughout July and August, they kept two armoured divisions and 19 infantry divisions in the Pas de Calais in anticipation of an invasion. This gave the Allies precious time to establish their bridgehead.

The German Commander-in-Chief, Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt, was one of those taken in, even to the extent of overruling a proposal from General Erwin Rommel that his divisions should move from the Pas de Calais to assist the defence in Normandy. As the Official History of British Intelligence in WW2 comments, their "intervention in the Normandy battle really might have tipped the balance".

Ironically, GARBO's reputation among the Germans was enhanced by the whole D-Day affair. On 29 July 1944 he was informed that he had been awarded the Iron Cross by the Führer himself, for his "extraordinary services" to Germany. By return message Pujol and Harris expressed GARBO's "humble thanks" for such an honour, for which he was truly "unworthy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I love that the Allies made fake bases, inflatable tanks, and decommissioned airplanes to make the ruse look real. They really went all out.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Wrong campaign. Mincemeat was a misdirection away from the invasion of Sicily, and it was absolutely batshit crazy at every step. This book tells the tale in all its mad glory.

Not to take away from the equally mad psyops run before D-Day, mind. Jasper Maskelyne was a legit professional illusionist who may have pulled off the greatest magic trick in history.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/programs/ghost-army-combat-con-artists-world-war-ii

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Aug 17, 2020

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Wrong campaign. Mincemeat was a misdirection away from the invasion of Sicily, and it was absolutely batshit crazy at every step. This book tells the tale in all its mad glory.

I picked up that book on a whim from a used book store a year or so ago, it's great. The best part about it is that it mainly works because the body fell into the hands (by design) of a nazi intelligence golden boy who was taken very seriously but was a credulous idiot who would believe pretty much anything. Also the fact that Hitler's favorite analyst was secretly an anti-nazi and had been fudging intelligence for ages (and then was executed in the round up following von Stauffenberg's bomb).

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SavageMessiah posted:

I picked up that book on a whim from a used book store a year or so ago, it's great. The best part about it is that it mainly works because the body fell into the hands (by design) of a nazi intelligence golden boy who was taken very seriously but was a credulous idiot who would believe pretty much anything. Also the fact that Hitler's favorite analyst was secretly an anti-nazi and had been fudging intelligence for ages (and then was executed in the round up following von Stauffenberg's bomb).

Yeah, that sabotaging intel guy was an amazing twist. "This is obviously bullshit but gently caress these guys anyway, pass it up the chain."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Doc Hawkins posted:

tbf, how long did it take for us to notice Hillary's thoughts on having house slaves in her book?

Forgive me if I am missing a joke here.

But what did she say about house slaves? Coz I would imagine the Republicans using that to attack her instead of "She's a woman! BOO Something something emails! BOO" etc.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

But what did she say about house slaves? Coz I would imagine the Republicans using that to attack her instead of "She's a woman! BOO Something something emails! BOO" etc.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/06/the-clintons-had-slaves

it's legal to enslave a prisoner, and while in the arkansas governor's mansion, bill and hillary continued the tradition of using those prisoners as household labor: "In It Takes a Village, Hillary Clinton writes that the residence was staffed with “African-American men in their thirties,” since “using prison labor at the governor’s mansion was a longstanding tradition, which kept down costs.”"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1295144074803126272

Why do I think the thing they're most offended by is the free lawyer?
Wait, if they need a lawyer, then doesn't that mean they haven't actually been convicted yet? So these are all just things she's accused of?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nobody is innocent to The Sun.

Except the cops who allowed a whole bunch of soccer fans to get crushed to death. gently caress The Sun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you don't have money to pay for it do you not get legal representation in the UK when accused of a serious crime?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BrigadierSensible posted:

In order to criticize Hillary for using state slaves at the governor's Manson, Republicans (or anyone really) would have to take the stance that state/carceral slavery is wrong.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Only leftists cared about the prison slaves.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Bill Clinton also did a ‘92 campaign event at Stone Mountain in front of prisoners.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

something something Personal Responsibility

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

What did he actually do to get cancelled?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Inceltown posted:

Misogynist rant about Dolly Parton bc she expressed support for BLM

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

aw man

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Inceltown posted:

Somebody screencapped the posts. It's not great.

https://twitter.com/brutalcountry/status/1294114031968694277

Welp, this was a lovely thing to find out tonight. I really like Squidbilles and it seemed like Baker/Unknown Hinson was in on the joke and pretty fun. Comedy option that he should have just said he was working on a bit as Early and seen if it stuck.

I guess Early's getting taken out to the Sheriff's cloning fields at the start of the season.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Legit including telling "Liberal fans" to "unfollow me, please. Because I don’t want you UN-AMERICANS around!… HAVE FUN forsaking your own race, culture and heritage."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Skwirl posted:

If you don't have money to pay for it do you not get legal representation in the UK when accused of a serious crime?

Not sure but that article’s about Pennsylvania despite being from the Sun.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well they did just find him in a bar in Georgia

how did he not know they were making fun of him all these years?

well I guess I answered my own question

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Come on, man, even I know you can't take a swing at Dolly Parton and win.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

well they did just find him in a bar in Georgia

how did he not know they were making fun of him all these years?

well I guess I answered my own question

So, it's weird to me because from what I'd read in the past, he played the Unknown Hinson character for a while before the show. It was basically just Early in a different form, a violent, creepy, misogynist Southern Pride idiot. He did local access shows and did song parodies that I actually thought were kind of catchy and funny, even if at least one didn't age great. They were over the top stupid and misogynistic to poke fun at a really dumb subset of country music and that was supposed to be the joke...or so I thought.

I'm wondering if it was another case of using irony as an outlet for the real thing, or some "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be" poo poo.

Parakeet vs. Phone has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Aug 18, 2020

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

https://twitter.com/geraldinreverse/status/1045907408474664961

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

So, it's weird to me because from what I'd read in the past, he played the Unknown Hinson character for a while before the show. It was basically just Early in a different form, a violent, creepy, misogynist Southern Pride idiot. He did local access shows and did song parodies that I actually thought were kind of catchy and funny, even if at least one didn't age great. They were over the top stupid and misogynistic to poke fun at a really dumb subset of country music and that was supposed to be the joke...or so I thought.

I'm wondering if it was another case of using irony as an outlet for the real thing, or some "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be" poo poo.

Another case of “thought it was a parody...oh no. It’s real.”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dewgy posted:

Not sure but that article’s about Pennsylvania despite being from the Sun.

I know that, I was just surprised that they were acting incredulous at the concept of a court appointed attorney so I wondered if it was different in the UK.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

edit: Oh sorry, someone already got it. This will save a click into twitter for anyone who skipped it.

This guy.

Zesty has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Aug 18, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zesty posted:

edit: Oh sorry, someone already got it. This will save a click into twitter for anyone who skipped it.

This guy.

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=20

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Ambien claims another one

Otherwise how do you just one day decide to post that and act surprised after?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Frankly I'm surprised he knows what an Eloi is

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I choose instead to be pleasantly surprised by Dolly Parton.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Headline: "Working from home might change the way cities work, and how people live."
Most people: "Sounds good"
One guy, with no elaboration: "Agenda 21"

Click on his profile, first couple of posts in -
"BLM protesters are mindless zombies" *posts a gif from the move Machete*

Simplified plot snyopsis of the movie 'Machete':
An ex-army veteran nicknamed Machete is hired to assassinate a right wing senator, but is double crossed by the people who hired him as a way to gain votes against minority groups. The senator is funding the construction of an electrified border wall to keep out illegal immigrants.

Machete survives and gathers a force of people to stand against the corrupt government who used him as a pawn against his own people. The scene of Machete rallying the people to fight against the government is where the picture at the bottom comes from.

Bonus idiot points - the guy lists his job as an independent film maker and writer. He has no loving idea what the movie is about, but going a bit further down his feed it's clear that he loves Mexican films and actors.

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Aug 18, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TheMostFrench posted:

Headline: "Working from home might change the way cities work, and how people live."
Most people: "Sounds good"
One guy, with no elaboration: "Agenda 21"

Agenda 21 is a conspiracy theory that pops up whenever the trigger word "cities" is mentioned to a conspiracist, the idea is that the UN is going to ban suburbs or something. there's not much more to it than that, there's a whole theology about how it's supposed to work but it's very boring

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

luxury handset posted:

the idea is that the UN is going to ban suburbs or something.
:swoon:

:sigh:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1295144074803126272

Why do I think the thing they're most offended by is the free lawyer?

they elected a PM that's a pig fucker, they're fine with animal loving.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the squidboy calling Dolly Parton a "BLM-lover" really hammers home that it's just the n word to some folks

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Can someone help me find an older tweet? I don't remember who it was, but it was someone (perhaps D list celebrity/pundit) arguing some weird sexist point thing and they basically say that they have never seen a woman turned on, or have an orgasm, or some other such, that the backlash was so swift because the nature of the tweet would imply that the person tweeting is terrible with women/sex? Sorry for the vague description.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Can someone help me find an older tweet? I don't remember who it was, but it was someone (perhaps D list celebrity/pundit) arguing some weird sexist point thing and they basically say that they have never seen a woman turned on, or have an orgasm, or some other such, that the backlash was so swift because the nature of the tweet would imply that the person tweeting is terrible with women/sex? Sorry for the vague description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thank you so much, this is exactly it!