Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've been using all the extra free time from work being closed to get back into reading books.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm having a lot of trouble keeping track of what's actually happening in the book. Is that normal for someone who hasn't really read books all that consistently in years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

yeah it comes back with practice. But it also can get harder as you get older so weeee

Don't sweat it, just let the book take you where it will

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Roth posted:

I've been using all the extra free time from work being closed to get back into reading books.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm having a lot of trouble keeping track of what's actually happening in the book. Is that normal for someone who hasn't really read books all that consistently in years?

It helps to load up on some caffeine or a Ritalin, improves your focus

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Roth posted:

I’m old and seemingly forgot how to read anything longer than a tweet.

Practice is helping but I still find myself putting the book down constantly.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Roth posted:

try reading at a slower pace, you might be reading slightly faster than what you need to keep track of things, which is pretty normal. start at a subvocalising pace, and just slowly build up from there on, if you find yourself forgetting what you just read and having to reread a page, slow down a bit again.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s all about finding the correct balance, you don’t want to read too fast, but you also don’t want to read too slowly

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I found that breaking from fiction to nonfiction for a bit has reinvigorated my reading habits but now I’m having trouble getting motivated going back to fiction even though savage detectives did come in and is just sitting right there

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

nut posted:

I found that breaking from fiction to nonfiction for a bit has reinvigorated my reading habits but now I’m having trouble getting motivated going back to fiction even though savage detectives did come in and is just sitting right there

I've been going from fiction to nonfiction for years unless I'm just buzzing through a terrible potboiler series where there's five pages of actual plot per each hundred pages of book and every installment ends on "and everything worked out just fine for our main character... for now"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The excellent Northwestern University Press has been having a 40% sale this month on all of their books (including their brilliant European Classics series). I forgot to post about it here and not just in the TBB Discord server, but that's all right because they just extended it through August 9. Pretty good!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao ban anglophones from the Internet.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao ban anglophones from the Internet.

Also francophones. Then everything would be fine.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I know this comes up a lot but thought I’d ask: What’s the best Gravity’s Rainbow companion guide?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Is there a specific thread for audio books?

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

KingColliwog posted:

Is there a specific thread for audio books?

Yep. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3127942

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
There is also a thread for e-readers. I bring this up cause I posted some about them here before I found the thread in IYG.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366619

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

TheAardvark posted:

There is also a thread for e-readers. I bring this up cause I posted some about them here before I found the thread in IYG.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366619

Cool thanks, now I know there’s color e-readers!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

FYI a couple of us just started a read through/readalong of Ulysses, feel free to join in the James Joyce thread. We are only into the 4th episode.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Also, we're still looking for more people for the Gideon the Ninth whodunnit readalong. We'll be moving on to the second segment this Friday. Please join us for necromantic Agatha Christie in space!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

that sounds good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My biggest literary mistake was believing someone when they said Aaronovitch is good despite being crime cum wizards so rather hesitant.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, we're still looking for more people for the Gideon the Ninth whodunnit readalong. We'll be moving on to the second segment this Friday. Please join us for necromantic Agatha Christie in space!

Dang I've read it so I can't really participate but I encourage anyone interested to do so, it really is a fantastic read.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My biggest literary mistake was believing someone when they said Aaronovitch is good despite being crime cum wizards so rather hesitant.

Aren’t we all crime cum wizards when you really think about it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowy posted:

My monitor is on tyvm

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Snowy posted:

Someone's been reading some James Ellroy

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
feeling very attacked rn

edit: if you click the link to read the rest of the thread which is pretty funny imo please be aware it is in fyad and they have NSFW flags, sorry theaardvark

HolePisser1982 posted:

reading mostly tech specs and industry stuff about the book printing machines themselves. which ones are loving fail. going nuts when penguin books switches to a bad machine type or company, but also, celebrrating the glorious trainwrecks lmfao. and basically alienating myself from everyone but the worst possible freaks

cda fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 21, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I once sold off a book because the typeface was atrocious and I didn't want that curse in my bookcase.

It was actually hard to read.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The plus side of 2020 is that students finally have time to read the classics. tumblr, for example, recently discovered moby-dick (really).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who does that :psyduck:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loving love it. This teenager's margin note literally made my average comprehension of the words in that book go down. I understand Moby-Dick better than this contemporary teenager's commentary about it. I love that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pick posted:

I loving love it. This teenager's margin note literally made my average comprehension of the words in that book go down. I understand Moby-Dick better than this contemporary teenager's commentary about it. I love that.

Yeah sure whatever but in pen?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Pick posted:

The plus side of 2020 is that students finally have time to read the classics. tumblr, for example, recently discovered moby-dick (really).

thank you I loled at both the margin note and the rainbow highlight

will say for the rest of those reading, I am boldly dippin' right now

nut
Jul 30, 2019

e: didn't mean 2 b rude

nut fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 24, 2020

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

tbf to that teen, melville was low-key as gently caress, so it's kinda cute to see tumblr cue on to how gay Dick is

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://twitter.com/TheHyyyype/status/1290838558517993472

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pick posted:

That meme in the second picture is incredibly racist.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I didn't know what it was, so I googled it just now (sad to spoil the magic), and the only thing that comes up is Dippin Dots.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i still believe bartleby the scrivener is melville's greatest gay love story

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Smokin Queequeg all day

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i would prefer not to be a racist

fauna fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

No really don't do "oh lawd" memes because they are genuinely racist.