Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha what do you think Bowsette smells like LOL
This poll is closed.
Lilac 12 3.96%
Gooseberries 8 2.64%
Turtle soup 11 3.63%
Your favourite Doritos flavor (please specify) 14 4.62%
Gamer girl bath water 54 17.82%
Stop it 158 52.15%
A Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza (Pepperoni) 33 10.89%
get stick bugged lol 12 3.96%
tomato pizza 1 0.33%
Total: 303 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chev posted:

Sounds like you weren't there for the really heated parts of the Nintendo-vs-Sega or Nintendo-vs-everything-CD wars.
at least those arguments were about which games were better, and not how much money nintendo makes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

at least those arguments were about which games were better, and not how much money nintendo makes

They were about blast processing, mode 7, and if Mario was too kiddie and you know it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

thats all capitalists, capitalism is inherently rentier. all companies extract excess value from the people actually providing things. and also beyond that epic literally are a marketplace owner themselves who seek a percentage off of games they had no hand in making, and they also specifically engage in incredibly aggressive marketing to limit those games to their own store where they can make their cut, so even if you want to disagree that all capitalists are rentiers and so the term landlord should be kept for literal Land Lords, epic are a landlord as well by your definition.

yeah both of them both extract excess value from their employees and rent seek on storefronts when looked at holistically, you're not wrong. All that I really meant is that if Epic is saying "yo it's hosed up that Apple is taking 30% of everything, they didn't do poo poo", Epic is not wrong in that, even if they're doing the exact same poo poo

in conclusion, there are no good guys but there may be a legal outcome that results in a slightly less hellish hellworld

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I only remember ever arguing about whether mario or sonic was better, or telling people how good shenmue is

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah its more that when its epic saying it when all they want is to be in that position themselves across every platform at once, and theyre doing it in the stupidest way possible that might end up harming their own legal case over just going to court normally, its very funny and tim sweeney is a manchild who is currently endlessly melting down about it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don’t inject politics into my video game distribution platforms

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I bravely defended the wii when the other kids in my class were saying it was gay + for kids

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Imagine I made a Sweeney Todd joke but with Sweeney Tim

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i remember arguing over whether or not megaman 8 or megaman x4 was better because a friend had 8 and i had x4. we both had not played the other and were shittalking from nowhere. then after a temporary trade of games a truce was declared as megaman at that point was still pretty good actually

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Help Im Alive posted:

I bravely defended the wii when the other kids in my class were saying it was gay + for kids

I was in college so I bravely made jackoff motions a lot

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

yeah its more that when its epic saying it when all they want is to be in that position themselves across every platform at once, and theyre doing it in the stupidest way possible that might end up harming their own legal case over just going to court normally, its very funny and tim sweeney is a manchild who is currently endlessly melting down about it
yeah idk why anyone is optimistic about it, the only people that will benefit will either be apple or epic. no one is gonna be helped by epic making their own worse version of the app store

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm an android man so I'm content to watch the judicial slap fight

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only console warring I’ve experienced irl was from my Dad who really wanted a PS2 and tried to convince me to ask for one for my birthday instead of a GameCube.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

hatty posted:

The only console warring I’ve experienced irl was from my Dad who really wanted a PS2 and tried to convince me to ask for one for my birthday instead of a GameCube.

omg

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i got all the beads in okami on the wii

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mario and sonic are both epic

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sharrrk posted:

mario and sonic are both epic
wrong... dead wrong

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sega kids were always looked down upon in my neighbourhood, but with pity more than anything

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/gamespot/status/1295465501624111104?s=12

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just when I thought the Trump family couldn't be involved in more shady businesses.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:stare: it probably would have been best to keep quiet about this considering his brother is the most hated person in the world and for good reason.

Anywho, any dead Trumps is a net positive gain for the world.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it wasn't some big secret

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The "sega does what nintendon't" feuds seem quaint in the era of the dystopian megacorps fighting over billion-dollar IP flows

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

like that fuckin freefortnite commercial riffing on another commercial and being targeted to children, but then roping in idiots like Geoff Keighley... this is what cyberpunk was intended to satirize

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Rinkles posted:

it wasn't some big secret

Yeah, but if they hadn't mentioned it at all, nobody would have remembered or cared.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

exquisite tea posted:

My proudest recent gaming achievement was probably getting all S-Ranks on Mania in SOR4, which you can actually see pop up at the very end of this Y Tower capture. I don't know how much of this is communicated by the gameplay, but Mania in general and Y Tower in particular is really fuckin' hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upqsfNj4jXg

shoutout to this - SOR4 rules but I don't know if I have the patience to figure out how to line up all the huge combos per stage

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Arzaac posted:

Good luck getting this one fuckers, it's the rarest achievement in the game and you can't play it anymore

(Chronicle: Runescape Legends)

Lol I can't believe imagine else played that

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Stux posted:

their legal case is not being harmed. apple using all of their third party developers that happen to use unreal engine as collateral in this dispute tremendously strengthens an anti-trust case against them. i'm sorry.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

danbo posted:

their legal case is not being harmed. apple using all of their third party developers that happen to use unreal engine as collateral in this dispute tremendously strengthens an anti-trust case against them. i'm sorry.

I could see their original provocation harming them. But that seems immaterial to the larger case.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

danbo posted:

revoking developer access from a company that has massively breached its developer contract is not going to harm them one bit, its completely within their rights to do, its not going to do anything but hurt epic and them kicking off their legal proceedings by flagrantly and pointlessly breaching contract instead of just... bringing a case is one of the stupidest approaches you could possibly take. just bring forward your case. you are not going to score points because you breached contract in full knowledge of what you were doing and what those repercussions are. theyre not using anything as collateral, theyre doing the exact same thing they always have done since the app store has existed to any developer who has breached contract. when they did this to facebook after facebook was found to be stealing massive amounts of user data in violation of app store policies no one was saying it was wrong. there were no cases being brought forward to say it was illegal to block developer access to a developer who broke contract. this is no different, its just a situation where who is right and wrong in their reasoning for why they broke contract isnt so obviously clear as facebook stealing personal info.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if anything its epic using all of the developers that rely on their engine as collateral, because they 1000% knew this would be the exact outcome because they have read and understand their contractual agreement with apple. they were willing to throw all ue reliant apps under the bus with them as leverage for fortnite and egs.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Stux posted:

if anything its epic using all of the developers that rely on their engine as collateral, because they 1000% knew this would be the exact outcome because they have read and understand their contractual agreement with apple. they were willing to throw all ue reliant apps under the bus with them as leverage for fortnite and egs.

this is only the case if you believe their case against apple is spurious, which it is not. they are a complete anti-competitive monopoly. someone has to fight them, and they can't be held responsible if apple decides to use unrelated third parties as human shields.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

danbo posted:

this is only the case if you believe their case against apple is spurious, which it is not. they are a complete anti-competitive monopoly. someone has to fight them, and they can't be held responsible if apple decides to use unrelated third parties as human shields.

But the smart move in that case is still to bring a case and not start out by flipping the bird and making a public spectacle. This is why there is no good side in this: both parties are being as lovely as possible within their power for spectacle rather than coming at this in a very bland court battle over overreach and monopoly, and because of the way this began, Apple is actually further in the right by just sticking to enforcement.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not a lawyer but I think you typically only have a case when bad things have happened to you, not when they might hypothetically happen to you in the future

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

But the smart move in that case is still to bring a case and not start out by flipping the bird and making a public spectacle. This is why there is no good side in this: both parties are being as lovely as possible within their power for spectacle rather than coming at this in a very bland court battle over overreach and monopoly, and because of the way this began, Apple is actually further in the right by just sticking to enforcement.

by resorting to this enforcement, they have perfectly demonstrated the completely insane, anti-competitive power they wield over their platform and the brutal, capricious way they can wield it with no regard for third parties. how you can look at what they just did, how it potentially affects a lot of small developers who rely on targetting iOS to make a living, and conclude that they are somehow in the right is just silly.

i'm not going to hem and haw about what some theoretical perfect case would look like. these platforms must become more open, the apple/google duopoly must be dismantled. this is the fight being had, and it is worth having.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
There is a cute animated series on Youtube about Ten Little Kirbies but there's always something about it that makes me stop and think, "....Is this a fetish thing?"

https://twitter.com/KimiOmega/status/1291953059162193921

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know there's important news here...

But I'm over in the corner thinking about how in an American election year Square released a story about a villain who weaponizes Hope and youthful activist energy and twists it in service of a secretive cabal of decrepit corrupt old men

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I hope Epic retaliates by suspending the Fortnite accounts of every Apple employee and their kids. :munch:

Maybe they'll make another video about it. Love to watch brands propagandize anti-capitalist reform (that directly benefits them).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Relax Or DIE posted:

shoutout to this - SOR4 rules but I don't know if I have the patience to figure out how to line up all the huge combos per stage

TY but I actually hosed up the beginning. You're supposed to get an OOTW combo from the first two screens but those slippery Kevins broke my streak. Had a really good elevator screen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

danbo posted:

epic are actively throwing anyone using their engine into the firing line for literally no reason but PR they did not need to be kicked off the app store to bring forward this case, at all. their own filing barely mentions it except when opening and when discussing payment processors, however their actual argument they bring forward would be just as legitimate without doing this. it is marketing and it sucks really badly to watch people fall for the classic thing where a rich guy who has specifically done the things hes claiming are bad acts like hes good because he said the word "freedom".

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I think you typically only have a case when bad things have happened to you, not when they might hypothetically happen to you in the future

their case alleges bad things had already happened to them and not because of this specific instance, this is pure PR. its very much worth reading both the apple and google filings to see what theyre actually arguing and why if you are at all interested, because it makes it extremely clear what they are doing.

danbo posted:

by resorting to this enforcement, they have perfectly demonstrated the completely insane, anti-competitive power they wield over their platform and the brutal, capricious way they can wield it with no regard for third parties. how you can look at what they just did, how it potentially affects a lot of small developers who rely on targetting iOS to make a living, and conclude that they are somehow in the right is just silly.

i'm not going to hem and haw about what some theoretical perfect case would look like. these platforms must become more open, the apple/google duopoly must be dismantled. this is the fight being had, and it is worth having.

at what point is a closed platform illegal. is it once its big or are all closed platforms de facto illegal? are the ps4, xbox one and switch illegal? should they be forced into an open platform? is a closed platform fine until the point its successful and then its not allowed?

it isnt the fight being had, epic has at every possible oppurtunity so far railed against open platforms and open distribution. they have never had any interest in supporting open platforms, they do not want open platforms at all. they want platforms where they can run a store and that is their entire aim and its beyond foolish to think theyre going to do anything other than that. you are being fooled by a rich company who is pulling a marketing stunt and actively putting devs who rely on their engine in the firing line for PR while advertising to kids in their game to do corporate activism for them. apple being bad does not make anyone who says theyre bad magically good or well intentioned.