Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Oh, I missed getting Quake 2. They should have just given them all away at the same time.

Double check, I think you should just automatically get it if you have a Bethesda account. When I logged in it was just there in my games list, not something I had to authenticate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

FanaticalMilk posted:

Double check, I think you should just automatically get it if you have a Bethesda account. When I logged in it was just there in my games list, not something I had to authenticate.

well i missed quake 1, and it wants me to pay (i've had an account since the 76 beta)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FanaticalMilk posted:

You had to log in during the time they were giving it away and my launcher conveniently logged itself out.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

You had to log in during the time they were giving it away and my launcher conveniently logged itself out.

Oh drat, that's loving devious. Sorry to get people's hopes up.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Genuine question: I figure the first two Doom titles and the first two Quake titles are ubiquitous on the same level as 2009 The Orange Box.

Is this a case of just extending ownership to another platform or people actually not owning the games? They're regularly on sale for a fiver so I'm moderately surprised to see enthusiastic response to the free Quake titles on Bethesda's service.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Genuine question: I figure the first two Doom titles and the first two Quake titles are ubiquitous on the same level as 2009 The Orange Box.

Is this a case of just extending ownership to another platform or people actually not owning the games? They're regularly on sale for a fiver so I'm moderately surprised to see enthusiastic response to the free Quake titles on Bethesda's service.

I've just never owned them. I didn't really get into FPS' until I bought HL1 in like 2001 or 2002, so I never played them.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Has Quake stood the test of time in the same way as Doom, or would we forget it if it hadn't been by the same people?

My Quake trivia is that in the original Doom design doc, it was Doomguy's name. I guess it stuck around as a name to use elsewhere, like George Lucas did with Mace Windu before eventually giving it to Samuel L.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's just that getting new things is satisfying, and it's free. Who cares if it's pointless and I already have it? Not like I play other free games I get.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'll have you know I played that Ryza Roads game that was linked earlier today. It's pretty cool like a super low budget Forza Horizon.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have the original disks buried in the closet somewhere, but it's a lot easier to download it than it is to try to install them from the disks and then mess around with the patches and/or 3rd party ports to get them working correctly. My newest computer doesn't even have a dvd drive in it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Elfface posted:

Has Quake stood the test of time in the same way as Doom, or would we forget it if it hadn't been by the same people?

My Quake trivia is that in the original Doom design doc, it was Doomguy's name. I guess it stuck around as a name to use elsewhere, like George Lucas did with Mace Windu before eventually giving it to Samuel L.

yes and no. yes insofar as quake is still updated to run on pretty much anything and is still plenty fun to pull up and play. no insofar as it hasn't aged nearly as well and there's nowhere near as big of a community making fan content to this day.

doom has the benefit of being the flagship of a technological era. doom is what amounts to a 2d shooter with how it's presented and executed, and it did it extremely well and flexibly. nobody really cares about wolfenstein 3d, not really, and even fewer people care about blake stone. both of these games exist alongside doom in the halls of history, and neither of them encapsulate the era and the genre better than doom.

quake is a different era. it's a fully 3d shooter, the first gen 3d shooter. and there's a lot of other games of the era that do what it did better, and the era also grew really far from quake's initial foundation. unreal goes wayyyyy further than quake in pretty much every front, to say nothing of thief (which added an entirely new dimension of stealth mechanics), unreal tournament (which really tripled down on multiplayer in a way no other game had), or half-life (which doubled down on scripted events and storytelling).

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Doom really holds up by way of simplicity. Not to say Quake is complex, but its rudimentary and new 3D saw some ideas that work and some that didn't. It does, however, still hold up very well and is very fun, but it definitely not on the same level as "still good" as the original two Doom titles.

A large part of that is its split personality owing to troubled development and the fact that it was just trying new stuff out. Either way, I one thousand times say that both of the first two Doom titles and the first two Quake titles are still amazing and fun and well worth owning, even if you have to drop fifteen bucks in a sale.

I just didn't realize that they were still so widely not in peoples' libraries due to their synonymity with the genre and PC gaming, as well as their wide and cheap availability.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I got the first 3 quakes for less than 20 bucks in a steam sale.

Same with the first 3 dooms.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Coolguye posted:

nobody really cares about wolfenstein 3d
I mean, it got more sequels than doom. All media considered in aggregate, it's probably higher quality than the Doom franchies.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Xander77 posted:

I mean, it got more sequels than doom. All media considered in aggregate, it's probably higher quality than the Doom franchies.

i'm referring to the game itself, not any of its successors. i thought that was clear.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Next time I play ioquake3 my conscience will be salved knowing that my pak0.pk3 is Legit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I love Arena Shooters and wish they would come back, but I'm not playing Diabolitical. It's visually repulsive. It could be the greatest shooter ever but if I just hate looking at it I'm not going to enjoy it. Same reason why I don't like Warcraft 3 or Binding of Isaac.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My shameful confession is I've never played the original Doom.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Waffleman_ posted:

It holds up still. I was just playing it modded the other day. I was inspired mostly by this guys video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnYhjpMkGA

Tell me with a straight face that that doesn't look fun as gently caress

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The free demo is the best episode in Doom 1.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Actually the various bigass mods are the best episode of Doom

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Waffleman_ posted:

My shameful confession is that I haven't played an FPS game since the original Doom.

FPS games usually give me violent motion sickness (splitting headaches and gut-wrenching nausea within about five minutes), so it was probably the last FPS game I've played for more than a few minutes. Never played Half-Life, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike, etc. Doing the exact same stuff in third-person, like say in GTA games, is completely fine, weirdly, and I can play those for hours on end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

webmeister posted:

My shameful confession is that I haven't played an FPS game since the original Doom.

FPS games usually give me violent motion sickness (splitting headaches and gut-wrenching nausea within about five minutes), so it was probably the last FPS game I've played for more than a few minutes. Never played Half-Life, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike, etc. Doing the exact same stuff in third-person, like say in GTA games, is completely fine, weirdly, and I can play those for hours on end.

I think Quake lets play in third person.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The free demo is the best episode in Doom 1.

The dirty secret of old school shareware. They put the most effort into the part designed to convince you to give them money.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

As opposed to modern games, which put all the effort into the front few hours so you won't ungive them money.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ponzicar posted:

I have the original disks buried in the closet somewhere, but it's a lot easier to download it than it is to try to install them from the disks and then mess around with the patches and/or 3rd party ports to get them working correctly. My newest computer doesn't even have a dvd drive in it.

funnily enough i'm getting a crash to desktop straight away when i try running bethesda's quake 2

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

funnily enough i'm getting a crash to desktop straight away when i try running bethesda's quake 2

steam forums to the rescue!

e:sort of

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 18, 2020

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
This is best version of Doom ever made right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9qSuQapFY

Be sure to turn on subtitles for maximum effect.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coolguye posted:

and there's nowhere near as big of a community making fan content to this day.
The stuff that does get made, though, holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obf2At8XkYw

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

webmeister posted:

Dunno if you've ever bothered to experiment over the years at all (I can definitely understand why you wouldn't; I get the same kind of nightmarish motion sickness on occasion :barf:), but nowadays there's a lot of known strategies and settings to reduce motion sickness in games. Unfortunately there's still no universal settings for it, but in a lot of games if you can generally turn off stuff like the horribleness that is weapon bob (very relevant for Doom) and mess with the FOV and that can make all the difference.

Also due to not being true 3D spaces, older shooters like Doom or its contemporaries generally made the motion sickness even worse. (To say nothing if your machine couldn't even run them at a nice silky framerate.) So more modern stuff might not be as instantly gut-churning as those could be.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

webmeister posted:

I'm pretty sure Unreal Tournament 2004 lets you play in third person too, if you were curious

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

John Murdoch posted:

Dunno if you've ever bothered to experiment over the years at all (I can definitely understand why you wouldn't; I get the same kind of nightmarish motion sickness on occasion :barf:), but nowadays there's a lot of known strategies and settings to reduce motion sickness in games. Unfortunately there's still no universal settings for it, but in a lot of games if you can generally turn off stuff like the horribleness that is weapon bob (very relevant for Doom) and mess with the FOV and that can make all the difference.

Also due to not being true 3D spaces, older shooters like Doom or its contemporaries generally made the motion sickness even worse. (To say nothing if your machine couldn't even run them at a nice silky framerate.) So more modern stuff might not be as instantly gut-churning as those could be.

Yeah I’ve tried a few of those like changing FOV and weapon bob, but nothing has really worked unfortunately. I tried several times but never even made it through the cart ride scene in Half-Life. Weirdly enough I managed to struggle through Portal okay, but that’s been basically it.

Back in the golden era of FPS games it kinda sucked but I’m at peace with it these days. I don’t really feel like I’ve missed out on that much - endless COD retreads, Far Cry and Overwatch seems like about it

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's not a shameful thing at all mind you. I'm sure, based off your last post, that you've gone out of your way to see if there's any way to reduce it and I'm glad you've been able to make peace with it and get through one of the best puzzle games ever made.

One completely left field notion is that I saw a video of some girl who couldn't play VR without getting violently ill within five minutes. Turns out a CAT or MRI or something finally revealed that her sinuses in her head had been formed abnormally and it caused the issue, not just inner ear/etc. Yes it was a presumably expensive surgery to fix and I would bet that surgery money that you don't have anything similar, but I found it a fascinating cause.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Original Doom is still worth playing in 2020. It holds up in a way very few classic games do, it's close to Super Mario World in that regard. The level design is just so perfect and does an amazing job of teaching you without having an explicit tutorial.

Also, new Indiegala freebie: Theatre of War 2: Centauro

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 18, 2020

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

webmeister posted:

Yeah I’ve tried a few of those like changing FOV and weapon bob, but nothing has really worked unfortunately. I tried several times but never even made it through the cart ride scene in Half-Life. Weirdly enough I managed to struggle through Portal okay, but that’s been basically it.
I don't know what you've played, but as someone who gets motion sickness only on some games, Half Life is one of the worst and has poo poo for meaningful options to alleviate it. Portal is almost as bad and only worked because it's a puzzle game so I can play it in short bits and can choose to look away. There are a lot of other games I've had no issue with, though. I never had an issue with Thief or Dishonored or Far Cry or playing Skyrim in first person, for example. On the flipside, Rime is the only 3rd person game to give me motion sickness and I still don't know how that's possible.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

The Kins posted:

The stuff that does get made, though, holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obf2At8XkYw

flowinprose posted:

This is best version of Doom ever made right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9qSuQapFY

Be sure to turn on subtitles for maximum effect.

Holy smokes! at both of these.

E: Brutal DOOM is pretty fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't know what you've played, but as someone who gets motion sickness only on some games, Half Life is one of the worst and has poo poo for meaningful options to alleviate it. Portal is almost as bad and only worked because it's a puzzle game so I can play it in short bits and can choose to look away. There are a lot of other games I've had no issue with, though. I never had an issue with Thief or Dishonored or Far Cry or playing Skyrim in first person, for example. On the flipside, Rime is the only 3rd person game to give me motion sickness and I still don't know how that's possible.

Is it possibly an FOV thing? Do you know what about the game it is that makes you sick? Also, Rime runs notoriously poorly on everything. Bad framerate can cause headaches for me sometimes.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cojawfee posted:

Is it possibly an FOV thing? Do you know what about the game it is that makes you sick? Also, Rime runs notoriously poorly on everything. Bad framerate can cause headaches for me sometimes.
In general FOV seems to be the thing that helps in most games, along with disabling camera bob and motion blur. For Rime I think I decided it was something about the way the camera follows the character. It wasn't a framerate thing, it was something specific about how the camera acts in relation to character movement that there was no setting for. I still got through the game, but I enjoyed it much less than I might have otherwise.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jamfrost posted:

E: Brutal DOOM is pretty fun.

I believe Project Brutality is considered Brutal DOOM but better so if you're still in the mood check that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’ve only gotten full on motion sickness when I was a teen from playing the original Descent when it came out. I think I eventually worked out that sitting too close to the screen didn’t help, but to this day I’ve avoided all of the Descent games as it had that big of an impact.

Oddly enough I got that feeling just last week when I was trying to find the right FOV for Vermintude 2 after I noticed how narrow it was (65). I tried putting I up to 90 and everything was slightly distorted. It does some weird vertical FOV poo poo and made it look like I was in a bubble.

edit: anecdote: my bro also has struggled with FPS due to motion sickness, but recently he tried my curved monitor and experienced no symptoms. he's wondering if it's got to do with a flat screen monitors corners being further away from eyes but still rendering flat? or some poo poo like that.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 18, 2020