Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bonnen called Beckley “disgusting “ or something on The Tape and talked about ousting her this year. Guess not.

Bonnen also said Trump was “killing us in the suburbs”. Guess so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I parsed the tusks as googly eyes before i resized the drat thing.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The real war crime is that flattop hair cut.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

lmao

i'm trying to think of what they could do. just drop off a bunch of texas state guard surplus on the APD doorstep

Probably something more punitive, like any cuts to law enforcement must be matched by 150% cuts to social services, or by a mandatory "self defense" tax credit on homes valued over $1M so they can put up walls topped with razor wire, automatic gun turrets, and security gates.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/_stevensorozco/status/1295458094038818816?s=21

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

If Texas is even remotely close you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a constant barrage of USPS drop off boxes yeeted into Town Lake.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And thousands of Lime scooters, one hopes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jsmccullou/status/1295769128507256833

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

as a homeowner, i love it

lol

abbott is a fucker though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1295772175039963145

Yes very interesting

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Logical result: cites from now on never, ever, raise the police budget again because you can't undo any increases.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 18, 2020

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
so how many special sessions is that gonna cause? at least 2?

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
In that case, I would move my sanitation department under the police department, so they can really clean up this town.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TropicalCoke posted:

If the house flips they'll be in session until 2022

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

TropicalCoke posted:

Apparently we are going to have at least one special session by default because of redistricting, so might as well get in some extra fights while you're there.

Seconding Zoux's comment, we'll never get out of special session if the House flips. There will be some txlege staffer job security right there, but everyone will also be divorced by 2023.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

Logical result: cites from now on never, ever, raise the police budget again because you can't undo any increases.

I don't think any politician would take money away from the police due to the optics of being soft on crime. If anything they'll continue as normal by raising property taxes and also raising police budgets.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

poemdexter posted:

I don't think any politician would take money away from the police due to the optics of being soft on crime. If anything they'll continue as normal by raising property taxes and also raising police budgets.

Austin literally just took money away from police that’s what prompted this whole thing

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Badger of Basra posted:

Austin literally just took money away from police that’s what prompted this whole thing

Somehow I totally forgot that happened. :gonk:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh well, its not like all that excess spending could have gone into things like the roads, the fire department, mental health, or any of a million things more useful than military grade apcs.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh well, its not like all that excess spending could have gone into things like the roads, the fire department, mental health, or any of a million things more useful than military grade apcs.

How on earth do you expect cops to play combat soldier without APCs in a threat environment like Austin?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

Apologies for the non-Texas content, but I've been following the UNC news because I'm a fan of another longtime ACC stalwart (Notre Dame) that went all-in on going back to in-person education for reasons that were definitely, completely, TOTALLY unrelated to football... and after one week down, has racked up new positive cases in almost exactly the same proportion (relative to student body size) as what UNC just saw, and has soaring positivity rates even worse than what UNC is reporting. So, uh, my condolences to fans of any other school that tries to plow ahead and save their football season on the insane belief that college students will act like anything other than college students.

(Also, whoever made that dumb rear end post a page or two back about the rust belt having good weather? What the gently caress are you talking about)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Anthony/status/1295828516014039041

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Only for two weeks though. I'm sure this'll be well under control by then!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Only for two weeks though. I'm sure this'll be well under control by then!

Confirmed cases already equivalent to 1.7% of the undergrad population, *average* positivity rate to date of 19%, no real enforcement powers to keep dorm residents on campus, absolutely no ability to keep off-campus students in their apartments/houses,

... but that's two more weeks of kicking the can before we have to decide if the football players are regular ol' student students, or special students!

jesus loving christ

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
I’m sure UT will be different

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

I honestly don't understsnd why universities are hedging on going full online this semester? Like, UHD has been saying two weeks online (but also maybe in person) and then reassessing the situation on the 7th, and it seems every major university here is following that same trend. Do they expect the virus to just pop out of existence after Labor Day? I don't get the reasoning.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

devildragon777 posted:

I honestly don't understsnd why universities are hedging on going full online this semester? Like, UHD has been saying two weeks online (but also maybe in person) and then reassessing the situation on the 7th, and it seems every major university here is following that same trend. Do they expect the virus to just pop out of existence after Labor Day? I don't get the reasoning.

People won't pay full tuition for purely online classes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lemniscate Blue posted:

yeah, "people", right

*gazes into mirror*

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think a big part of it is housing and dining contracts. They pull in a lot of revenue for universities. I did a little napkin math talking about this with a coworker, and I figure UT is probably losing out on about $40 million at its current half capacity in the dorms (from weak demand, not restricting to half capacity).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Nobody should pay full tuition for online classes. Especially if that includes student activity fees.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

I think a big part of it is housing and dining contracts. They pull in a lot of revenue for universities. I did a little napkin math talking about this with a coworker, and I figure UT is probably losing out on about $40 million at its current half capacity in the dorms (from weak demand, not restricting to half capacity).

what percent of the endowment is that

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

what percent of the endowment is that

1%

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

This is a big reason for it, but football is a factor too, for schools like ND and UT. If they go full online classes and close the dorms, they can’t tell football players that they have to stay on campus while everyone else goes home, not without giving up the lie about amateurism and putting the current structure of college athletics in jeopardy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/dailytarheel/status/1295452926362746885?s=21

What are the unis doing in-person here, and when do they start

Rice starts classes Monday and they're on campus.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blotto_Otter posted:

This is a big reason for it, but football is a factor too, for schools like ND and UT. If they go full online classes and close the dorms, they can’t tell football players that they have to stay on campus while everyone else goes home, not without giving up the lie about amateurism and putting the current structure of college athletics in jeopardy.

Clearly it’s time for NCAA-sanctioned esports.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

The solution to that is extremely simple, but also completely unacceptable to the people in charge.

It may end up happening either way.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Spacebump posted:

Nobody should pay full tuition for online classes. Especially if that includes student activity fees.

I didn't say they were wrong to refuse to pay it.

And yeah, housing fees and football are also a big part of the equation, thanks all.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

high school football starts in ten days

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Spacebump posted:

...They decided to cut "International Student Education" fees ($5) alongside the $30 gym fee, and did half price on parking, but they still have lab fees and are charging full-price tuition for my fully online classes because they're pretending we can choose in-person/hybrid versions of the course =/

It feels like a scam.

Blotto_Otter posted:

...Wait, they have the authority to keep football/sports scholarship students at campus? That seems weird. Y'all have talked about college athletics being a scam becuase the university pockets proceeds that should go to the students participating in games, but how big/awful is the scope of college athletics, exactly?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

devildragon777 posted:

...They decided to cut "International Student Education" fees ($5) alongside the $30 gym fee, and did half price on parking, but they still have lab fees and are charging full-price tuition for my fully online classes because they're pretending we can choose in-person/hybrid versions of the course =/

It feels like a scam.

...Wait, they have the authority to keep football/sports scholarship students at campus? That seems weird. Y'all have talked about college athletics being a scam becuase the university pockets proceeds that should go to the students participating in games, but how big/awful is the scope of college athletics, exactly?

If they dont stay on campus and play football they cant be on the team. If they're not on the team, the school stops paying their tuition. In other words, yes they can literally hold the athletes over a barrel for profits the athletes don't see a dime of. It's always been this way which is why its controversial, the pandemic is just exposing to a lot of people just how hosed up it all really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

devildragon777 posted:

"Authority" here is a bit murky, this situation gets at some fundamental and unresolved issues about the nature of power in American college sports. The universities control whether or not the players get to play and keep their scholarships, which in turn impacts their ability to possibly play for the NFL one day, which gives them a considerable degree of power over the athletes. As long as school is in session in some form, they can tell the students where they need to be in order to practice and compete. The problem is, if they tell the athletes to stay on campus while other students can go home, will that expose them to legal or political challenges of the universities' power over athletes? The universities are desperately trying to avoid that situation not because they think they lack the immediate authority in this situation, but because they think exercising their authority in that way will reopen the debate over whether or not football players are just students or something else, whether or not they're truly amateurs or if they're actually professionals in disguise with their earnings illegally capped by an anticompetitive wage-fixing cartel.

To give an idea of the scope of the problem in college football: the biggest college football schools generate hundreds of millions of dollars annually because of the play of their football teams. Their top coaches get paid millions of dollars a year, many other administrators and assistant coaches make hundreds of thousands to millions a year. The athletes themselves get little more than the cost of tuition, room, and board. They are not allowed to make money on the side: if they sign any sponsorship deals or take money from a fan, they get the boot. If they don't like this but still want to play professionally some day, tough poo poo: there is no viable alternative to getting to the NFL except to do this for a minimum of two years.

Top players like Trevor Lawrence (QB at Clemson) are effectively capped at earning the equivalent of $60-70k right now (whatever the value of tuition, room, and board is at Clemson plus a few fringe benefits), and none of that compensation is in cash that he could use to help his parents pay rent or buy a car. This time next year, he'll likely making millions and millions of dollars in the NFL. Very little will have changed about his ability to play football that would explain such a dramatic shift in his earnings.