Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Map generation seems like it got thrown off a lot by Blazing Deserts, like the amount of water was significantly reduced or the sand of the desert is taking up the place of water. Most seeds I'm testing have anywhere from 0-2 coastal cities with ports, I've found a few with 4 but in those cases it tends to be 3 clustered up in one part of the map and then one set aside about 1/4 of the map away.

A lot of map seeds have exactly one port which makes it rather useless.

This is the only seed I've found where boats actually make sense as a fast travel method, it has 1 port roughly in the center, one in the bottom left corner, and one in the bottom right:
VDVMBHWYSN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I gave up on ironman on this game a long time ago after playing a ton of the new XCOMs on ironman. Ultimately this game is not as pliable as XCOM is - in XCOM you can completely squad wipe on a combat mission and still recover your campaign. You can bomb a mission objective and still keep your playthrough on track. Battle brothers just isn't built in the same way. After having dozens of campaigns fall apart due to forest ambushes or checking my phone while traveling or just poo poo terrain generation I decided it's just better to not worry about it and play on my terms, which is pretty similar to what you described. I'm still ending campaigns with dozens of dudes in the graveyard so it's not like I'm painstaking reloading each bad roll

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Map generation seems like it got thrown off a lot by Blazing Deserts, like the amount of water was significantly reduced or the sand of the desert is taking up the place of water. Most seeds I'm testing have anywhere from 0-2 coastal cities with ports, I've found a few with 4 but in those cases it tends to be 3 clustered up in one part of the map and then one set aside about 1/4 of the map away.

This is the only seed I've found where boats actually make sense as a fast travel method, it has 1 port roughly in the center, one in the bottom left corner, and one in the bottom right:
VDVMBHWYSN

every map i've seen has been like 2/3rds not desert and basically zero port cities.

at this point i think the overland map just needs to get expanded. I don't even think i've seen a map with a southern desert with more than 3 city states, and if that's actually a default or something, then it's kind of a problem imo

e: the only mod i have is the cheat mod from pre-DLC when i was using it to test late game bro configs (which helped massively with figuring out what worked and what didn't, btw). no mods at all map-related

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 18, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

So playing Gladiators or Lone Wolf locks you out of the Paymaster retinue guy right?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have never had a retinue member before but I'm going for the doctor or surgeon guy. Is there a best one? Or a best first one?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

VDVMBHWYSN

I've definitely been disappointed with new mapgen, everything seems more spread out and full of dead space then before. Here is my old seed:

While the ports weren't anything special the cities were literally all on one big circular road and the cities in the North and Northeast had everything you'd want; hunter lodges, lots of weapon/armorsmiths, kennels, taverns, etc. More importantly it was like a day, maybe 2, between each and every city so it didn't feel like a lot of dead time while travelling the roads. You had to venture way out East to get to the high end camps but it actually felt very coherently put together. There's a few more cities to the south that were less accessible by road but all 4-5 had ports you could access from Angeln there.

I haven't found anything remotely as good as that seed so far, it's depressing. You find a few decent cluster of cities but otherwise it's like 3-4 days of forest or mountains in between them and one way roads off to one city in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, rinse and repeat.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 18, 2020

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

redreader posted:

Decided I'm sick of dying and starting from scratch. I'm now saving before fights and it's a more-fun game, and I'm getting further. I just lost a guy though, I'm not into minmaxing so if I lose someone, lesson learned. It seems like this game is just too hard to be played like xcom? I suppose my main issue and the thing that kills me is, I don't know what to expect exactly from each enemy when it comes to their build, like 'is enemy x high damage, or high armour?'. Like I think it went from brigands-> raiders (or the other way 'round) and suddenly they were wearing mail. Also with the southern guys, IDK what all of those enemy types are, and I just got my entire party destroyed by a couple of southern guys I just could not even hit, and a whip guy.

The guys you couldn't hit are probably Nomads, they have dodge and can make things very difficult.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i am enjoying the game a lot less now that its devolved into hitting guys on their shield forever and hoping i get a lucky hit before they get lucky hits on my guys

You can use a flail to get around the shield - flails are a good intermediate weapon once your guys outgrow spears but don’t have a high enough matk yet to consistently bypass shields. Also make sure you’re hiring guys that are good enough - even your shield bros should be able to get above 80 matk.

Breaking shields tends to be a trap because if you can’t kill them on the same turn you end up buffing their damage.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ive been given a mission to clear out a bandit camp that has some wildly strong boys i seem to have no hope of defeating. it is very annoying as i've been owning hordes of undead and desert beasts but these regular rear end dudes are kicking my rear end. all their attacks hit and none of mine do.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Sometimes you get turbofucked by the rng and that's why you savescum. More than 3 tries though and you're probably chasing bad odds.

What are the ramifications of bailing on a bad contract? I know that in Battle tech you can ditch a bad mission every so often and easily repair the rep damage, not sure if bb is as forgiving. I get there feeling that you're always one bad contract away from game over even if you retreat in good order and walk away from it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

You can use a flail to get around the shield - flails are a good intermediate weapon once your guys outgrow spears but don’t have a high enough matk yet to consistently bypass shields. Also make sure you’re hiring guys that are good enough - even your shield bros should be able to get above 80 matk.

Breaking shields tends to be a trap because if you can’t kill them on the same turn you end up buffing their damage.

Yeah, a big moment in me realizing how not to absurdly suck at this game was figuring out the distorted and often bizarre progression involving teaching you how to deal with heavily armored enemies by throwing a ton of shields at you first (brutally) and the answer to both in reverse order is swords/cleavers paired with flails and then hammers or axes paired with hammers and anything else high damage respectively. Once I figured out the jacked up progression and combined arms intent the rest of the schema sorta kinda fell into place? Or got somewhere I could finally grapple with it enough to feel like I was starting to get it finally anyway.

Game is brutally hard, it's almost accidental that it somewhat mostly works out in favor of the intended design

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

rideANDxORdie posted:

I've played around with the fire lances in the early game but have not nutted up the 3k-4k for a handgonne just yet. People who have, what's the strategy? Are you unloading with them from the get go, or is it something you bring out later after the battle lines have met for a few turns? Do you need multiple guys with them for it to really pop? I remembered the dev video saying the guns weren't super hot against high armor targets.

It's crazy how tight money feels now that there's so much more to spend on. Retinue members, throwables, firearms. Every time I have 3k-4k spare gold to spend, there's always at least three things I want to spend it on as opposed to pretty much just grinding out reinforced mail in the mid game. I'm rolling with the blacksmith and the scout so far, I have two more slots open but the retinue peeps I want (paymaster esp) aren't available just yet. Can't say I ever see myself using a cook though. Or a surgeon, really, since I don't play ironman. Which retinue are you guys rolling with?

Handgonnes:

I bought two of them as soon as I could afford it - around day 40-50. I put them in my back line, not right on the outer edge but not right in the middle either (peasant army so my back line is 7). Unlike the fire lance; handgonnes are reloadable (they function just like crossbows once you have the mastery; without the mastery it takes an entire turn to reload and you fire every other turn). They're best either early on; or you can use them throughout the entire combat if your setup/the type of fight is one where you maintain solid lines. Because of the awkward diamond cone; in fights where your men are all over the place they're less effective. They have minimal armour penetration, but they do an ok job of stripping away armour, especially considering you're doing it to several targets at once.

At the moment my guns are just doing damage but as the gunners level up I'll be adding overwhelm and fearsome for the debuffs.

I'll give a breakdown of different fights:

Against large groups of beasts (wolves, hyenas, serpents, nachzehrers, spiders) They are insane. I noticed early on that compared to the previous expansion beasts like that were appearing in larger groups much sooner, and others have also commented on how difficult the new beasts are - I think guns are the reason why. They shred them to pieces and cause routs very readily. I haven't fought Ifrits yet so not sure on that one.

Against small numbers of more individually dangerous beasts (unholds; lindwurms, schrats) you don't want them because you tend not to fight in solid lines and it's too hard to target them.

Against humans they also do really well - the less armour they have, the better they are; but even vs raiders they're really effective. It remains to be seen if they'll do well vs heavily armoured humans - I haven't fought in a noble war yet. but noble wars tend to feature really lopsided battles; so I feel like if you can hold your line; you can get really good value out of their AOE. Plus there's the armour stripping effect and the benefit of mass applications of fearsome and overwhelm.

Against barbarians; they are brilliant vs thralls, good vs reavers. I'm not sure about chosen - I've only fought them once this game and there were only 2 of them. The mass debuffs and gradual chipping away at armour are nice; but I'm not convinced you wouldn't be better off with javelins and polearms for dealing with chosen.

Against both undead and ancient dead they are really good. They shred zombies (I've had fights with a necromancer and no archer on my side, and they were super easy) and they're effective at clearing out the ancient pikemen.

Against Orcs - they do very well against orc young and beserkers; since they don't push you around, but my one fight so far against warriors they were pretty bad because the warriors throw you around and disrupt your lines then you end up not being able to fire them much of the time because you'd end up hitting your own guys.

I like the idea of applying mass debuffs to orcs though; and I suspect it would be possible to craft a new anti orc strat that makes use of the guns - right now the accepted strategy for fighting orcs is to have every second person in the front line take one step forward and use either shield wall or indom to absorb the first charge, then the rest of the line (usually your 2handers) step into the gaps to start doing damage. It makes targeting of guns awkward from the get go because they can't hang back out of the way like archers can. But you could build a party around guns - ditch the 2handers altogether, have a front line of just shield bros with indom; and a back line of swordlances and guns. Not sure if that's better than the current strat though.

I haven't fought goblins yet this game; but I don't see myself taking guns to a goblin fight.

As for retinue:

I think the surgeon is very valuable. There are lots of fights in the game that are incredibly difficult to beat without casualties; to the point where you'd need to reload a dozen times or more. With a surgeon you could accept a couple of permanent injuries and move on, particularly since you have a decent chance of them being relatively benign (missing ear, missing eye, etc). But also you heal regular injuries faster which is a big deal.

That being said, I think the first retinue member should always be the drill sergeant. It's trivially easy to meet the criteria for hiring him - all you have to do is hire a random bro with the survivor trait (preferably a beggar or something cheap) and get him killed the next fight. Then you've suddenly got a big boost to your leveling speed to help get ahead of the curve. Once you've got your endgame company sorted you can always replace him with someone else.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

VDVMBHWYSN

I've mentioned this before but the seed Legolas has a number of ports including top left, bottom left and bottom right.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Re: handgunners against heavily armored enemies, I did take two of them (level 6 ish and 7 or 8?) up against some undead legionnaires as well as some gladiators and they weren't exactly effective at all, so either they're weighted towards late game when you can load them up with proc based skills on top of crazy ratk stats I'm not sure they're better than specialized beast mob sweepers

Edit: definitely misremembered the levels

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I've mentioned this before but the seed Legolas has a number of ports including top left, bottom left and bottom right.

I tried that and neither of those cities were ports and one in fact was a stupidly landlocked one that made you wade across two islands to get to it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

I tried that and neither of those cities were ports and one in fact was a stupidly landlocked one that made you wade across two islands to get to it

Did you capitalise the first letter (and only the first letter?) Seeds are case sensitive. Legolas has 5 ports. One in the top left, 3 clustered in the bottom left and one at bottom right.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 18, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Is there a trick to looting heavy throwing weapons from barbarians? I've fought them several times, seen them use them, and not had any to loot at the end of the fight. Do you need to kill them while they are holding the throwing weapon?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yeah, a big moment in me realizing how not to absurdly suck at this game was figuring out the distorted and often bizarre progression involving teaching you how to deal with heavily armored enemies by throwing a ton of shields at you first (brutally) and the answer to both in reverse order is swords/cleavers paired with flails and then hammers or axes paired with hammers and anything else high damage respectively. Once I figured out the jacked up progression and combined arms intent the rest of the schema sorta kinda fell into place? Or got somewhere I could finally grapple with it enough to feel like I was starting to get it finally anyway.

Game is brutally hard, it's almost accidental that it somewhat mostly works out in favor of the intended design

The two best bits of advice I could give to anyone just starting this game would be unless you know you have a good reason to do it, don't break shields, and make sure you don't play too defensively. A guy wearing padded armour and a 2handing a falchion is a complete bad rear end at low levels as long as you don't get him mobbed, not everyone needs a shield.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

RabidWeasel posted:

The two best bits of advice I could give to anyone just starting this game would be unless you know you have a good reason to do it, don't break shields, and make sure you don't play too defensively. A guy wearing padded armour and a 2handing a falchion is a complete bad rear end at low levels as long as you don't get him mobbed, not everyone needs a shield.

I just realised, if you form a corner in your line such that one of your guys has someone above him and someone bottom-right of him, he can only have one enemy next to him. I have never used a 2-hander so far in this game and I suppose if I form my line in the way I mentioned, I could use one with a lower risk. I suppose he has to have the heaviest armor.

Also: I took 'brawny' with someone and there as no change at all to his fatigue. Is it bugged or do I have to leave the screen and come back before it gets shown?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
My current game I am experimenting with almost all 1h and 2h maces, with a 2h scimitar and the regular mix of polearms and ranged. It has been quite solid though it does lack the fun AoE kills. I think one thing that has made a big difference is focusing on mdef, my shield Bros at levels 8/9 have 40+ mdef and are tough as nails, 2h ranging from mid 20s to 30s. Seconding how incredible the handgonne is in almost every situation. To add to it's awesomeness, it gains range when shooting downhill and you get another hex of targeting, which makes it far better.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

redreader posted:

Also: I took 'brawny' with someone and there as no change at all to his fatigue. Is it bugged or do I have to leave the screen and come back before it gets shown?

AFAIK it’s not bugged, only thing I can think of is that your guy was wearing extremely light armour

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Is there a trick to looting heavy throwing weapons from barbarians? I've fought them several times, seen them use them, and not had any to loot at the end of the fight. Do you need to kill them while they are holding the throwing weapon?

The trick is keep fighting reavers and hope that rng smiles on you, heavy throwns seem rare to drop to me aswell. On unrelated, if anyones looking for a peasant militia seed give LECELHNOMP a try, south of map has a good cluster of settlements and decent trade(you start in north tho) and there´s north- south port connection. One of the starter bros i´d rank "breddy gud".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

redreader posted:

Decided I'm sick of dying and starting from scratch. I'm now saving before fights and it's a more-fun game, and I'm getting further. I just lost a guy though, I'm not into minmaxing so if I lose someone, lesson learned. It seems like this game is just too hard to be played like xcom? I suppose my main issue and the thing that kills me is, I don't know what to expect exactly from each enemy when it comes to their build, like 'is enemy x high damage, or high armour?'. Like I think it went from brigands-> raiders (or the other way 'round) and suddenly they were wearing mail. Also with the southern guys, IDK what all of those enemy types are, and I just got my entire party destroyed by a couple of southern guys I just could not even hit, and a whip guy.

I'd recommend everyone save scum until they really know the game, to be honest. Otherwise you lose your company to every new gimmick and it's hours to get back to where you were.

Ironman is for people who literally never get distracted on the map and dont mind hitting retreat.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Radical handgonne advice

That being said, I think the first retinue member should always be the drill sergeant. It's trivially easy to meet the criteria for hiring him - all you have to do is hire a random bro with the survivor trait (preferably a beggar or something cheap) and get him killed the next fight. Then you've suddenly got a big boost to your leveling speed to help get ahead of the curve. Once you've got your endgame company sorted you can always replace him with someone else.

Holy gently caress I can't believe I didn't think about this - definitely doing this next go round

Also IDK how much cross-pollination there is between the two games but I was playing Ghost of Tsushima a little bit today and the higher level Mongolian brutes use handgonnes that look identical to the ones in Battle Brothers and make quite a statement when they pop off too

I'm about done with a 100-day gladiator run on map seed revachol. It's been a blast but ultimately, just like lone wolf, the 12 man cap drives me insane and I can't deal with it. It's also the origin in most dire need of the paymaster but is ineligible to ever get it. The gladiators being big gay bros is hilarious though. The arena giving resolve buffs is awesome because it ultimately means more points in other, more core stats on your best brothers. I'm thinking I'll do southern mercs next and try and get a few early handgonnes before making a trip up north to shape the company.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

germlin posted:

The trick is keep fighting reavers and hope that rng smiles on you, heavy throwns seem rare to drop to me aswell. On unrelated, if anyones looking for a peasant militia seed give LECELHNOMP a try, south of map has a good cluster of settlements and decent trade(you start in north tho) and there´s north- south port connection. One of the starter bros i´d rank "breddy gud".

Legolas has 6 endgame worthy starter bros with peasants.

I think it’s worth in any game putting your guys through the arena - 5 wins each. The 5 resolve buff is very nice as is the xp gain. Doing it for 16 men would take forever but it’s a good way to buff the resolve of your farmers if they need a hand.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 18, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
There isn't anything past 12 arena battles, so don't bother taking a bro past that.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

How do you enter the Holy War? It kicked off 40+ days ago, I chose the ambition to end it, but I have no idea how to get involved. I thought it might be missions, but either the RNG isn’t cooperating or there is something else that I am missing

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I feel like the changes to fearsome makes it even more important to have high resolve. For example ancient dead will now do a 12 (auxillary) - 20 (honour Guard) point resolve debuff when they damage you. Fallen heroes do 20; Orc Warlords do 18 and enemy gunners do 14.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

I think it’s worth in any game putting your guys through the arena - 5 wins each. The 5 resolve buff is very nice as is the xp gain. Doing it for 16 men would take forever but it’s a good way to buff the resolve of your farmers if they need a hand.

Has anyone figured out the calculation for arena difficulty? Tried it with my Lone Wolf and that was just ridiculous. 10 snakes on level 8, while 5 snakes on the map is a high paying 3 skull quest. This was expert/expert if that matters. Difficulty seemed to hike up rather fast on gladiators too, couldn't get past the third, probably because it was hard to find new weapons and armour that was decent.
EDIT: Single Lone Wolf guy, with no friends tagging along, forgot to mention.

The Lord Bude posted:

I feel like the changes to fearsome makes it even more important to have high resolve. For example ancient dead will now do a 12 (auxillary) - 20 (honour Guard) point resolve debuff when they damage you. Fallen heroes do 20; Orc Warlords do 18 and enemy gunners do 14.
Ah yea. I thought the dead lads was doing my guys an extra scare this run.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 18, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wonder if there's anything interesting in this small village's weaponsm-

:stare:

Of course this happens early on before I have cash to blow on uniques

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I gave the indepted start a try, and it seems like an interesting one. Feels like it could be really strong early on, but might taper off later.
The buff you can give to the indebted starts off with like +10 to almost every skill for 2 rounds, and it says it gets better as the guy giving the buff gains higher levels. Really putting a focus on that whole "army of fodder with a few elites" part of the scenario.
Not really sure if I like it, gotta try it out a bit more first. The incredibly low wages for a full company is nice though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It feels pretty bad late game where you start to really miss those last four perk points. It's also very easy to get carried away "recruiting" from bandit parties, spiking your difficulty before you really should.

That said, a level 11 brother is going to be giving a recruit +21 to attack and can do it to two recruits a turn, so it does a lot to make your guys hit harder than they really should.

My indebted campaign is easily my bloodiest, as I truly do not give a poo poo throwing a level 1 guy with a 2h at something dangerous to save a brother with better stats. I had a guy who had picked up a woodman's axe from a bandit he killed earlier and I buffed him before throwing him at a raider who was about to kill my star. Did his damage and tanked the retaliation hit.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 18, 2020

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Give it a try you´ll see what I mean. I had a sour first impression with arena when first battle pitted my day30 bros against 2 t2 and a t3 nacho. Crap like that can drive a man from bloodsports for good!

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Arena gen is borked, I've been playing a decent lone wolf seed and the arena has multiple times been just three hyenas or 4 serpents. Then it throws like a hedge Knight or a sword master at me and that's tough, but otherwise it hasn't been terribly challenging.

I've played other starts before where the arena was insanely brutal though so I dunno what the formula is. Since you're bringing as many men as you have collars.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

do whips use melee attack or ranged attack? Also, how do Handgonnes roll?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

Whips use melee; handgonnes use ranged. Handgonnes also ignore cover and have a +10% accuracy bonus but -10 per hex of distance - I’m guessing that’s calculated for each hex it’s trying to reach; so the closer enemies in the cone have a higher chance of getting hit.

Arena has been pretty kind to me. 3 spiders; 3 hyenas; small groups of nomads. It’s strange.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

The Lord Bude posted:

Alright man, you've been talkin' up this Legolas seed for 2 pages and I'm giving it a shot. I haven't played since before the North DLC came out. Would welcome any tips on the starting crew to make my reentry into the game as easy as possible.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Arena seems very random, if it gives you a fight that's too hard just don't do that one. I'm around day 100 and putting in max or nearly max level bros and sometimes it gives me two gladiators (huge challenge) or two nomads and a blade dancer (also a big challenge but not fatal), but sometimes it gives me 6 webknechts or 4 hyenas, both of which are absurdly easy. There's obviously some scaling to your level, but the scaling is far from absolute.

punishedkissinger posted:

Melee attack for whips. Handgonnes are ranged and they're awesome.

Beefeater1980 posted:

How do you enter the Holy War? It kicked off 40+ days ago, I chose the ambition to end it, but I have no idea how to get involved. I thought it might be missions, but either the RNG isn’t cooperating or there is something else that I am missing

It's contracts. Once you pick a contract for one side or the other, it'll mean you've picked a side and the other side will become hostile to you for the rest of the crisis.

Worth mentioning that the northernmost noble house doesn't join the holy war, so if you're up north you won't see the contracts to join in. Head south and check lots of settlements for contracts and I'm sure you'll find one. For mine I only saw one contract from a noble house, but once I got to the city-states there were pretty reliably holy war contracts available to go obliterate noble armies with my handgonne.

El Spamo posted:

Sometimes you get turbofucked by the rng and that's why you savescum. More than 3 tries though and you're probably chasing bad odds.

What are the ramifications of bailing on a bad contract? I know that in Battle tech you can ditch a bad mission every so often and easily repair the rep damage, not sure if bb is as forgiving. I get there feeling that you're always one bad contract away from game over even if you retreat in good order and walk away from it.

I rarely cancel a contract but iirc the penalties aren't overly harsh. You take a reputation hit with whoever gave you the contract (so, better to bail on contracts for individual towns than for whole noble houses), the hit is bigger if you took payment up front, and every now and then there's an event related to having canceled a contract, like a town can hire bounty hunters and send them after you for it. I'd avoid doing it if at all possible but if it's a choice between a company wipe against an impossible enemy and canceling a contract then that's no choice at all.

Realistically though, just savescum. Save in town before accepting a contract, go do the fight, and if half your company dies then reload the town save and don't take the contract this time.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

Whips use melee; handgonnes use ranged. Handgonnes also ignore cover and have a +10% accuracy bonus but -10 per hex of distance - I’m guessing that’s calculated for each hex it’s trying to reach; so the closer enemies in the cone have a higher chance of getting hit.

Arena has been pretty kind to me. 3 spiders; 3 hyenas; small groups of nomads. It’s strange.

Thanks!

I gotta say, my enjoyment of this game has improved immensely now that I've shut off Ironman. I still let my dudes die but if I get a really lovely starting position that will kill someone I might reload, or if I forget to equip something it's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bruxism posted:

Alright man, you've been talkin' up this Legolas seed for 2 pages and I'm giving it a shot. I haven't played since before the North DLC came out. Would welcome any tips on the starting crew to make my reentry into the game as easy as possible.

Assuming you’re playing peasants; Keep the good ones; fire the bad ones. Stay out of the city states until you’re in raider mail at least.