Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

azflyboy posted:

Those aren't necessarily deal-breakers for flying, depending on how close to 20/20 your corrected vision is, and how severe the colorblindness is.

My uncorrected vision is terrible (my medical certificate actually requires me to wear glasses or contacts when I fly), and I'm slightly red/green colorblind, but I'm currently an airline captain, so the "must have perfect vision to be a pilot" thing hasn't been true in quite a while.

Glad to hear that! My vision isn't that bad, my prescription hasn't changed in years and it was never terrible to begin with and in the Navy they told me I was "color deficient" I failed the hidden number book test but I could pass a "lantern test" which is red/green/white lights vertically aligned in varying orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yes, flight simulators always have zillions of additional planes (first- and third-party) and airports and stuff. I'm sure the store will start filling up with stuff soon. I don't know whether you'll be able to buy specific planes from the deluxe packs individually or not.

three03
Mar 8, 2006
A few complaints on the Steam discussion boards about peripherals not being detected. My somewhat old CH flight yoke and brand new Logitech pedals are not being detected at all.

Add in that the deluxe/premium content isn't showing up for Steam users, I'm going to give up for the night. If the alpha was any indicator I fully expect a 40GB patch download tomorrow addressing these two issues and breaking all autopilots in the game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah I see what happened, it mapped the wrong axis for rudders. Now I’m stuck waiting on updating the rolling cache, which is a massive pain in the rear end

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

While the speed of the download is absolutely abysmal whoever thought it was a good idea to have music looping in the background for the whole loving download is a moron. Why yes, I don't want to enjoy anything else while this giant game downloads.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Ok I did some training flights and I can take off and land while breaking probably dozens of FAA regulations. Where are the goons at?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Has anyone had any success getting live weather going? I had it for my first flight and at the start of my second flight, but partway through that the weather spontaneously went to all clear skies. It hasn't changed since, no matter where I'm flying.

I have also yet to see another player, despite having that option turned on.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Flying around Manhattan at night and seeing all the different pilots flying around for the first time was a treat. We were all buzzing one another and it was really something else, I can’t wait for a goon group - hopefully Bush flying or something.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So is VATSIM built-in at this point?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

While the speed of the download is absolutely abysmal whoever thought it was a good idea to have music looping in the background for the whole loving download is a moron. Why yes, I don't want to enjoy anything else while this giant game downloads.

Right click on the sound icon > open volume mixer > mute flight sim. Remember to unmute it when you actually play the game. I ended up watching some movies while it downloaded.

In case anyone was wondering about specs to run this, I'm getting 60fps running medium settings. Ryzen 3700X, 16Gb ram, 5700XT. Getting about 40fps at JFK and Toronto though. 1440p resolution. I think I might end up getting some more ram cause this thing is pegging my ram at 80-90%.

Some larger buildings look like absolute rear end up close, even at high settings. So I just pretend I'm flying around some post apocalypse city.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Played for about an hour and a half and a few things I noticed. I'm a complete flight sim noob as I stated a few pages ago but I am ready to go all in on this and this may even be my gateway from casual flight fan to hardcore simmer + gateway to maybe getting licensed way down the line.

Right off the top the game suggested I use Medium settings. I have an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32 GB of Ram, but the weak link is most definitely the Geforce GTX 960 in there. Which is totally fine. I threw this system together pretty quick and a friend was willing to just give me that graphics card to get things started and to be honest medium looks totally fine and to be honest I'm impressed that a 5 year old card is managing as well as it is. However I'm definitely going to upgrade that ASAP.

Secondly, I plugged in the Honeycomb Yoke and it mapped everything immediately and pretty intelligently as far as I can tell at first glance. No issues at all. The only thing I didn't notice was the first thing I did was start a tutorial and during that you have a co-pilot who is piloting the plane but once it hands it over to you for your lesson my plane kept losing speed and I didn't realize that the ignition switch was set to off. Since the lessons just throws you in to a thing you didn't have to go through startup situation so my plane kept losing altitude fast and it took me a few minutes to figure it out. Otherwise though so far so good with that yoke. However, the one thing the yoke did expose is that I now desperately want a throttle quadrant and pedals because it would just make everything 9000 times easier than toggling between the keyboard, zooming in on things, and jumping back. What I'm saying is I've got the bug and I'm sure I'm going to spend a lot over the next six months.

Lastly, its a lot of fun to fly around and just look at pretty things. I basically flew a low altitude flight of what my commute home would be from the west side of LA to my home and it was pretty interesting even at low altitudes (sub 1000) what the interpolation stuff did and how generally accurate it was. As others have pointed out though it has a tendency to think every green/empty space will have massive voluminous trees...which in particular about Los Angeles is a thing that just simply doesn't exist.

I've definitely got the bug but I need to go to bed right now or I'll be up all night.

Of course i had to quickly zip by my neighborhood and scope out the dog park.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Did my first takeoff and landing and somehow didn't crash. I kept getting a message that said incorrect heading vector. I was following the purple line so not sure what I'm doing wrong. Probably everything. It's crazy how easy it is to end up going in a completely different direction when you are flying through clouds. Good times, will play more tomorrow.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

sigher posted:

I can't even get the MS store version to download at all. I've tried uninstalling and restarting the game, but it just hangs in the content manager apparently doing nothing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Flying over Tokyo now and holy poo poo I forgot how loving massive this city is, the number of buildings is just incredible

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Currently flying in real-time weather and lighting from Scotland to the Faroe Islands, this is crazy. Originally tried in a Cub but that wasn't going to work, so I got in the fastest thing that was not a jumbo jet, which seems to be some sort of Cessna private jet.

I just heard ATC talking to another plane that exists IRL at this position.

Edit: Also the stereotypes are true, this area is just fog and clouds. I have no idea how to fly by instruments so I just flew up above the clouds and am cruising up there.

Edit2: What is "ITT"? It flashes in red and beeps periodically and it stops if I reduce my throttle. I guess overspeed or something?

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 18, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

*looks outside his window*

Yeah, I would not be flying in that weather, it's incredibly foggy.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
what would you guys recommend as a good plane to stick with at the start to learn things and slowly start turning some of the easy mode stuff off?

I am ashamed of how hard I'm finding it to adjust trim using the xbox controller. Whatever I do the vertical speed ping pongs wildly between positive and negative (even when I'm not adjusting anything!) and I can never get a stable horizontal flight.

I'll repost this for the people that are just installing: if you're using a non-C drive don't forget to change the cache location in the data settings (not the same thing as the package location when installing).

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is there an "invert" toggle somewhere for the camera controls on an Xbox controller or do I really have to go through the binding menu to change that?

I reversed all of the external camera ones manually. I'm sure the defaults make sense but it was annoying me how the internal and external left/right camera were the opposite of each other.

fuf fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 18, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
poo poo's downloading, yayyy. I ordered a VKB Gladiator to tide me over until VR support arrives, as my simpit doesn't have a monitor anymore, and I'm too lazy to unmount my HOTAS/pedals from it and move that poo poo over to my desk. Probably gonna gently caress around with an Xbox controller tomorrow, which I expect will feel weird. But if this sim gamepads serviceably, then I could see myself kicking back on the couch and playing via Steamlink when I don't feel like VR'ing. Man, I'm excited to gently caress with this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Arsonide posted:

Edit2: What is "ITT"? It flashes in red and beeps periodically and it stops if I reduce my throttle. I guess overspeed or something?

Interstage turbine temperature. You're running your engines too hard and need to throttle back a bit. Keep an eye on the EICAS (engine gauges) and make sure you aren't running them constantly in the red zones.

Most airplane engines are not designed to run at 100% throttle in cruise. Those power settings would only be used for takeoff and steep climbs.

fuf posted:

what would you guys recommend as a good plane to stick with at the start to learn things and slowly start turning some of the easy mode stuff off?

There's a reason the C152 is the one they use in the tutorial, and it's definitely the one I would suggest, but the 172, DA40 and DR400 are also good places to start if you like their looks better.

I personally think people should learn to fly with the traditional round gauges, but glass cockpits are the future so go for the planes with those if you prefer. All the same data is there, just in a different format.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 18, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

cool new Metroid game posted:

It does this on the world flight planner map. after you select a departure airport it'll darken the map and show a brighter circular region around the departure airport which is the range of your currently selected plane (I guess at optimum cruise settings)

examples:
no departure airport selected:

KLAX with pitts special:

KLAX selected with C208B:

KLAX with a320 selected:

and the range ring will change depending on how much fuel you select. also some planes you have to switch what fuel tank you use instead of it just using all your tanks at the same time.

Strange...i'm not seeing any of this.

Thank you for the information anyway!

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 18, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Romes128 posted:

Right click on the sound icon > open volume mixer > mute flight sim. Remember to unmute it when you actually play the game. I ended up watching some movies while it downloaded.

God bless.

I still have 30GBs left, the game's been running for 2 hours. :psyduck:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh drat, the Standard Version of the game is on Xbox Game Pass for PC, in case anyone out there doesn't want to drop 70 (or even more...) on a game that they aren't sure they'll enjoy.

Treating the Game Pass one as a demo I guess until I decide which of the more expensive versions to buy / until the Steam poo poo gets fixed.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Started using a custom arcade stick I use for Tekken as a button panel. Works pretty well and I can label stuff easily so I don't have to remember my HOTAS buttons.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

One thing I looked into years ago was using MIDI controllers as game controllers.
Something like the below controller would be perfect for simming. Too bad all the solutions were way too labour intensive or the ready made solutions were too expensive for my tastes. I hope a simple solution will appear some day. Maybe it already has, I haven't looked again.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

The resolution on the Faroe Islands isn't too great (understandably) and I had to crash land because my plane was out of fuel and the Faroe Island airport isn't part of the database it seems...but all in all I think for such a remote location the machine learning AI poo poo is doing a decent job. Interested in flying over the Seychelles now!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

game owns

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

lol, this game is a launch day disaster right now

if you were on the fence maybe wait a couple weeks

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

One thing I looked into years ago was using MIDI controllers as game controllers.
Something like the below controller would be perfect for simming. Too bad all the solutions were way too labour intensive or the ready made solutions were too expensive for my tastes. I hope a simple solution will appear some day. Maybe it already has, I haven't looked again.

Have you checked Midi bindings for AutoHotkey?

Drone posted:

So is VATSIM built-in at this point?

Not built in, but was featured to be compatible with the vatsim client able to work properly with MSFS from day one, with the VATSIM team working with asobo to ensure it worked.

Unfortunately, the final release broke a bunch of SimConnect functions so it's all borked. :shrug:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly it'll probably be fine by the weekend.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Soy Division posted:

lol, this game is a launch day disaster right now

if you were on the fence maybe wait a couple weeks

or don't because it's literally a dollar. I downloaded it and have been playing without issue all day today.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arsonide posted:

The resolution on the Faroe Islands isn't too great (understandably) and I had to crash land because my plane was out of fuel and the Faroe Island airport isn't part of the database it seems...but all in all I think for such a remote location the machine learning AI poo poo is doing a decent job. Interested in flying over the Seychelles now!

It really makes me wonder what the game might've been like if Asobo had been working with the generally much higher resolution and far more 3D-modelled google maps dataset.

Damnit, microsoft, hurry up and buy better photos.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

This installation process is certainly... a thing.

So the Xbox app lets you download the... launcher, I guess, at like 1 GB. As with everything else on my Xbox app, it installs to my D: drive which I use for games and which actually has space.

The launcher opens and asks me for accessibility options, which is great. Then I get an eternal loading screen after that. Several minutes later and no loading bar progress, I Alt-F4 and relaunch the launcher. This time it loads something, and I'm told that the game recommends I have the US English language package installed (keyword: package, which I'll come to in a sec). On this same screen it tells me to select a package install directory and that it's going to update a package. Logically I assume it's going to update the language package, right? After all, we are on the screen where it's telling me about language packages. So I go with the default directory, some %appdata% link on my C: drive, which doesn't have nearly enough free space for the entire game itself. And even though the path is on my C: drive, it shows my total available drive space as being 350 GB, which is what I have free on my D: drive. Hmm, okay. So I start the update.

And nope, it's trying to install the entire game to C:, which doesn't have enough free space for the game. There is no cancel button. I restart the app, and get an eternal loading screen again. I uninstall the launcher and reinstall it. I'm on an eternal loading screen again. I'm considering giving up and waiting a few weeks.

Edit: like, you tell me if this isn't counterintuitive. At any rate, I changed the drive path despite the confusing language and now it seems to be working fine, if just extremely slow.

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 18, 2020

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Drone posted:

This installation process is certainly... a thing.

In one of their interviews they said they are using PlayFab for this. I've used PlayFab in another project, for a very similar purpose albeit on a much smaller scale. So basically the way it works, is you make an HTTP request to PlayFab to download a thing, then they respond with a URL that you then use to do an HTTP download of said content.

So for each of these packages, you are basically downloading them as if you were using a web browser, then decompressing them locally. Obviously much slower than if you just got the data straight from Steam, but I imagine they did it this way to make the game more extensible. They are future-proofing it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went to the trouble of rebinding my Warthog HOTAS and am barely using any buttons on my throttle, ha

Also managed to find my childhood home! Fuckin hell its crazy how accurate the auto gen stuff is.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arsonide posted:

In one of their interviews they said they are using PlayFab for this. I've used PlayFab in another project, for a very similar purpose albeit on a much smaller scale. So basically the way it works, is you make an HTTP request to PlayFab to download a thing, then they respond with a URL that you then use to do an HTTP download of said content.

So for each of these packages, you are basically downloading them as if you were using a web browser, then decompressing them locally. Obviously much slower than if you just got the data straight from Steam, but I imagine they did it this way to make the game more extensible. They are future-proofing it.

People are comparing a lot about how the MS store experience sucks, but to be honest a lot of this is more complicated and unreliable because they aren't using the MS store for the main data loader but rolled their own independent thing out of Playfab, presumably for steam support. If this had been an MS store exclusive and they designed around distributing the data using the Windows Package Manager it probably would've ended up smoother.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Also managed to find my childhood home! Fuckin hell its crazy how accurate the auto gen stuff is.

My house is in a photogrammetry area and looks like poo poo. I actually kind of wish it was in an auto-gen area. The accuracy of auto-gen areas isn't perfect, but the texture resolution and UV mapping isn't terrible at close range in auto-gen areas.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Squirrel has put up a tutorial on not only how to find your house, but also how to add it into the game as a marker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AjspC0Acfo

Pretty neat!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Communist Bear posted:

Squirrel has put up a tutorial on not only how to find your house, but also how to add it into the game as a marker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AjspC0Acfo

Pretty neat!

Asobo, just commission squirrel to make tutorial videos that can be played ingame. You can just buy the first five already.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Arsonide posted:

I'm confused as to why this is better than just using Steam to deliver all of the same content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

sigher posted:

I'm confused as to why this is better than just using Steam to deliver all of the same content.

PlayFab works on every platform, for one. It also gives them a lot of dev ops poo poo they can use for social stuff like events. I'm not sure why they made the decision to use it for the entire game to be honest. It's meant for things like sharing custom skins or maps. I'd put my money on it being a cross-platform decision though.