Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh it's a bug with feathers and wings.

:golfclap:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Microbrews really are just dream-catchers for dudes.

I can mostly find tattoos of the macros or I'd be on board with this statement

snipe edit:

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

OwlFancier posted:

Probably because we try to look for words in english that are spelled something like "oer" or whatever, bird does indeed have the sound in it but you never think of it having the sound in it, and you struggle to think of any words that are spelled like they should have the sound in it.

Also because the ‘er’ sound like in ‘perfect’ or even better ‘word’ works, too and is easier to visualize because ‘bird’ is already hosed from vowel shifts and linguistic evolution. The way you pronounce bird may actually be better to describe and spell as ‘byrd’, which is equally confusing in modern times.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Aug 18, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Empty Sandwich posted:

:golfclap:

I can mostly find tattoos of the macros or I'd be on board with this statement

If you're always holding said beer, does it not become an extension of your body?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You guys like maddening orthography huh? Are we getting mad about people who use accents and diacritics not to indicate pronunciation, but basically as decoration?

Explain to me what the gently caress they think they are accomplishing with this

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

LifeSunDeath posted:

If you're always holding said beer, does it not become an extension of your body?

I don't know, but it's all one beer once it's inside you

most mornings I have to take an acute p

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1295696740188917761?s=19

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OMG

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It has the windows!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonHair posted:

No it's not. You're trying to explain a set of sounds in several languages with reference to a specific dialect of English. The vowel in bird is close but not exactly the same as any of those sounds. The underlying problem is that most of what ö covers in Swedish, German and Finnish does not occur in English, much like the sounds represented by th in English does not occur in those languages.

Source: I have a master's degree in linguistics, and wrote my bachelor's thesis on the Danish ø-sounds. Also I looked up RP vowels to be sure.

Wow you must've gone to a really bad uni to be so wrong about this and still have graduated. The fact that Ö sounds vary in no way means that "the vowel sound in RP bird" isn't literally the best and simplest way to let Anglophones know what Ö sounds like. And "a specific dialect of English" is exactly what you want to give people whose native accents can vary vastly a reference point they will, in about 100% of cases, be familiar with - it's called RP and it's the specific dialect you can use in this manner.

If someone doesn't know what an automobile is, I can point a normal one out to them and they will know - superficially but well enough - what an automobile is without me needing to point out every kind of automobile there is.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Aug 18, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Omnitrix posted:

I work at a record store...you can blame Guaridans of the Galaxy. Kids wanna be star lord

Starlord, famously listening to vinyl records.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I can get behind the vinyl revival; the large format makes a good canvas for artwork, liner notes etc and yeah, there’s something about the background hiss that’s appealing, but why the gently caress would anyone want cassettes to come back?

It’s portable, easy to copy and gently caress with using analog equipment, and more importantly there’s a sense of romance to making and receiving tapes. The idea of making a mix tape for someone by pressing the record button at just the right time when the song plays on the radio, or syncing up the albums just right to get the songs from the original to the mix, to say nothing of picking out of a neat looking brand of tape and customizing it. Tapes are right at the crossroads of intimacy, self expression and nostalgia.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/A5hLsH0.gifv

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

Also because the ‘er’ sound like in ‘perfect’ or even better ‘word’ works, too and is easier to visualize because ‘bird’ is already hosed from vowel shifts and linguistic evolution. The way you pronounce bird may actually be better to describe and spell as ‘byrd’, which is equally confusing in modern times.

That might be my dialect loving it up then because bird and word are pronounced the same way. But then dialects also gently caress up trying to describe any sort of pronunciation.

You go not to far from me and there's people who will say bird with the vowel sound from the word "air"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndz86gVm71Y

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Aug 18, 2020

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

OwlFancier posted:

That might be my dialect loving it up then because bird and word are pronounced the same way. But then dialects also gently caress up trying to describe any sort of pronunciation.

You go not to far from me and there's people who will say bird with the vowel sound from the word "air"

I've never heard an American pronounce bird and word in a way that didn't rhyme, or pronounce any word that involves the ö sound that was posted in an earlier YouTube. I have heard that sound in English though, it's how Ann Reardon of How to Cook That (and probably other people from Melbourne) pronounces burn

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

most mornings I have to take an acute p

What about a cute d?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Omnitrix posted:

I work at a record store...you can blame Guaridans of the Galaxy. Kids wanna be star lord

Who?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I've never heard an American pronounce bird and word in a way that didn't rhyme, or pronounce any word that involves the ö sound that was posted in an earlier YouTube. I have heard that sound in English though, it's how Ann Reardon of How to Cook That (and probably other people from Melbourne) pronounces burn

americans dont speak rp english though its mostly a british and british commonwealth thing. rp english = royal pronunciation aka really bougie british people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Received Pronunciation" The queen doesn't actually speak it, because she's far too posh, she speaks some sort of weird horsefucker dialect.

Technically RP is just a relatively common southeastern accent but it does sound posh to most of the rest of the country.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I was almost always befuddled by ö until I saw an old Swedish Bible which had it (and ä) written in the old way, namely an o with a little e on top. And that's the sound y'make. A slurred o-e sound.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Oh gently caress yeah let’s have a wave of forums sovereignty memes

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

As someone with a german background, married to someone who is ethnically Finnish but raised in and learned Swedish almost exclusively, allow me to weigh in on this discussion of lingustics in the meme thread:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

How is it that I never see the images you post bb-coded in the thread, but if I copy/paste their URL into a new tab they load fine?

Is it a Chrome thing or a forums thing or a user error thing?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Data Graham posted:

You guys like maddening orthography huh? Are we getting mad about people who use accents and diacritics not to indicate pronunciation, but basically as decoration?

Explain to me what the gently caress they think they are accomplishing with this

Feels good, man.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
buncha friggin nörds itt

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dewgy posted:

buncha friggin nörds itt

Skÿrim bëlöngs tö thë Nörds!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Trabant posted:

How is it that I never see the images you post bb-coded in the thread, but if I copy/paste their URL into a new tab they load fine?

Is it a Chrome thing or a forums thing or a user error thing?

It's bullshit and I hate it!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Star-Lord, man. Legendary marvel character? Goons?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Guillermus posted:

What about a cute d?
:dance:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Samovar posted:

I was almost always befuddled by ö until I saw an old Swedish Bible which had it (and ä) written in the old way, namely an o with a little e on top. And that's the sound y'make. A slurred o-e sound.

Oh! So like the second O in 'motor'!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Byzantine posted:

Skÿrim bëlöngs tö thë Nörds!

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Morpheus posted:

Star-Lord, man. Legendary marvel character? Goons?

This is beautiful, this is too much, i quake with chuckles

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Incorrect, we simply choose not to ban people until the sale goes through to discourage people having to buy things from the forums. 11-year probations are still very much on the menu.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Starlord, famously listening to vinyl records.

The question being answered was literally "why are cassettes popular again?" you dingus.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Joke's on you, I never stopped listening to my Woody Guthrie 8-tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007