Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I like the video where he tries to show how incompetent Best Buy is at repairs, so he burns out some cap on a MacBook motherboard. He has an undercover guy take it to get fixed, except it works just fine when the Geek Squad powers it on.

Then he takes the laptop and shorts out some other poo poo, breaking it for sure, but the Geek Squad sends it back from repair as 'fixed' and he can't believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuxpRtojAHw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Rossmann does nothing but component level repair; if your problem is software, he will 1) blame Apple, then 2) scream at you to take it somewhere else.

He is just lucky that Apple doesn't have the time or resources to hire legions of component level repair technicians.. just people capable of swapping out the offending module (if possible) and call it a day. They have procedures for each part; defective parts most always get sent back to Apple (there is a class of parts that Apple doesn't want back, but Apple gives them a special part prefix so you know it's not possible to get a trade-in on them.)

Meanwhile Apple slowly builds an inventory of returned janky parts that somebody just as competent as Rossmann works on, swapping out the same components Rossmann does, and these components either go into refurbs or are offered as replacement parts.

He considers himself Mister HotShot Businessman because his business was growing so much that he was able to recently upgrade to a bigger piece of real estate for him to conduct his screaming business from.

Meanwhile, in non-Rossmann chat, Apple has just announced that due to the pandemic they're going back to the old 'you can wait until up to a year after purchase' to buy AppleCare+.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 17, 2020

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ratbert90 posted:

Rossmann is a guy who learned to use a soldering iron, read a schematic, and use a multimeter. Because of these amazing abilities he thinks he’s an expert on everything electronic and business related. He’s a boring blowhard at the best of times, and draconian at the worst.

absolutely wild how he considers that people who have the money to buy laptops every 2-4 years are, in fact, common and not some kind of idiot that would desire to entrust their machine to a strange NYC independent repair shop

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

IMHO Rossmann would not survive in any city except NYC, where hubris and using Macs are literally ingrained into segments of local industry.

BTW, anyone picked up a Logitech mouse lately? I just got an M585, and it's got a unique feature provided by some auxiliary software called Flow; it allows you to move a mouse cursor from one laptop to another, which is especially dandy as it's platform independent; I regularly move my mouse between a Mac and a PC, with the Mac having their Unifying receiver installed and the PC laptop having Bluetooth activated.

This way, you never have to hit a button to switch, although the mouse I bought has dedicated buttons so I can jump instantly to the other machine if I don't feel like dragging.

The transition from Mac > PC is flawless, going the other way is a little sticky but I believe that will go away if I buy another Unifying receiver for the PC.

Flow also lets you do cut and paste between Mac and PC, also mighty handy.

The only caveat is that the two laptops have to be on the same WiFi network. Not bad for free software they're giving away..

Flow also lets you save your settings to the cloud (you have to register for a free Logitech account to retrieve them though..)

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Sounds like synergy, which has been doing all that since the early 2000s. Used to use it a bunch and it’s incredibly handy if you’re using multiple machines in one spot.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

I just got a logitech mouse and remember reading about the Flow feature. I've not tried it yet, to be honest. I generally just use my work laptop for most things and don't do too much on my aging linux/windows 10 dual boot Dell laptop. The thing has a physical CD-rom for cripes sake lol, but it's not so bad with an ssd now.

I think when my new desk comes in next week, I'll have enough space to have it comfortably set up ainside my work macbook. I'll probably give Flow a try then and report back with the results.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, pretty much the same as Synergy but with cloud storable settings, both claim secure transmission using SSL/AES-256, but Synergy works on Linux too, Flow is only for Mac/Win and works with Logitech branded keyboards and mice only (and only newer ones..)

But it's nice that it's being offered as a freely downloadable add-on to those who don't know about or want to use Synergy.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Spime Wrangler posted:

Sounds like synergy, which has been doing all that since the early 2000s. Used to use it a bunch and it’s incredibly handy if you’re using multiple machines in one spot.

Didn't Synergy go closed source at some point? I went to install it a while back and remember being disappointed.

Edit: Yeah, looks like it's $29 now. Might be worth it, but if Flow comes with Logitech stuff then i'll give that a try first. https://members.symless.com/purchase

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You can still download the open source Synergy and configure it manually as far as I know: https://github.com/symless/synergy-core

Same with the Textual IRC client, by the way, in case someone missed it: https://github.com/Codeux-Software/Textual
It's pretty easy to turn off the license check and just build the whole thing from source. They bank on people not knowing how to and not wanting to do that.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Synergy is absolutely worth the license if you have the use case for it though. Supposedly they're working on a long term project to majorly overhaul it, last I heard.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Flow works great, I use it constantly. Even switches over a keyboard. Was good on bluetooth but now I have a second dongle and it's pretty much perfect there.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah I have to accept Bluetooth sucks and pony up $12 for another Unifying doodad. That momentary pause is driving me up the wall.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah I have to accept Bluetooth sucks and pony up $12 for another Unifying doodad. That momentary pause is driving me up the wall.

Except for low latency gaming, it's fine? BLE made a huge difference

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Synergy is absolutely worth the license if you have the use case for it though. Supposedly they're working on a long term project to majorly overhaul it, last I heard.

Hell yes it is. I’m using it right now to control 2 Pcs and a Mac. It’s great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Binary Badger posted:

I called Logitech support a couple years ago and said I lost the usb key thing and they said no problem and mailed me one in an envelope for free.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crunchy Black posted:

When I used it with Windows 10 as the host and macOS as a client there would be a delay in response after letting the mouse sit for a second or two. Opening a terminal window and pinging localhost would fix it, so it was probably some power saving thing with macOS networking. Has anybody here used it this way and encountered that problem?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fallom posted:

When I used it with Windows 10 as the host and macOS as a client there would be a delay in response after letting the mouse sit for a second or two. Opening a terminal window and pinging localhost would fix it, so it was probably some power saving thing with macOS networking. Has anybody here used it this way and encountered that problem?

I’m using it right now and I don’t have that issue. Maybe it was a bug in another version?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Fallom posted:

Hm, no. Even using my win10 gaming machine as the host with MacPro 3,1 and MacBook Pro 2018 as clients simultaneously.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So after enjoying the form factor of a free ewaste 11inch MacBook Air so much, I grabbed a 8gb 2015 off of eBay. And threw in a 13" Apple SSD in it. Which drat near tripled the read/write speeds.

It's an amazing little machine for doing little computer-y things. I highly recommend it to anyone doing any sort of on-call computer work as it's so easy to keep with you. Uber reliable. Snappy. And really portable. And it has easily replaceable batteries so it will probably last forever? I hope it gets OS support for 2-3 more years. Since it has basically the same (if not better) performance/hardware than the 12 inch MacBook.

It's running the Big Sur beta really really well. It's pretty nice having something this portable that can run 3 OSes without much fuss.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ziploc posted:

So after enjoying the form factor of a free ewaste 11inch MacBook Air so much, I grabbed a 8gb 2015 off of eBay. And threw in a 13" Apple SSD in it. Which drat near tripled the read/write speeds.

It's an amazing little machine for doing little computer-y things. I highly recommend it to anyone doing any sort of on-call computer work as it's so easy to keep with you. Uber reliable. Snappy. And really portable. And it has easily replaceable batteries so it will probably last forever? I hope it gets OS support for 2-3 more years. Since it has basically the same (if not better) performance/hardware than the 12 inch MacBook.

It's running the Big Sur beta really really well. It's pretty nice having something this portable that can run 3 OSes without much fuss.

If you can live with the drat 1366x768 screen... I was a long-time Air user and loved the 12" Retina screen because I could run 'looks like 1440x900'.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bob Morales posted:

If you can live with the drat 1366x768 screen... I was a long-time Air user and loved the 12" Retina screen because I could run 'looks like 1440x900'.

It's pretty easy when you hide the menu and dock. This is not a content creation screen.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It'd be great if there were room for more WiFi antennas on it, but it only has room for 2x2 MIMO antennas so it'll never do better than an 867 Mb connection. That said though, it's a good tradeoff for the size factor.

I'm always pissed that they never got around to stuffing 16 GB in this model, but then it wouldn't be an Air, blah blah power restrictions.

Best you can do is go the ridiculous route and shove in a 1 TB SSD with a Sintech adapter and hope the huge size VM you can have makes up for lack of RAM..

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dipping my toes into serious Bootcamp gaming for the first time. Using a pretty beefy iMac and things are running surprisingly well. Can I trust Windows to monitor the temps accordingly and not let my internal components get melted? I'm not usually one to baby a system or check temps but I have noticed that macOS like to keep it at around 65-70 before revving up the fans, whereas monitoring in Windows temps regularly exceed 85-90 before the fans kick in.

I know 100 is a pretty normal temp for a CPU under load but I'm just kinda worried that running it at those temps for extended periods of time will cause some other sort of damage because of how tightly everything is packed in there.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

LOL if you think Apple will let BootCamp drivers have the power management flexibility reserved for their own OS in Windows.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That doesn't really answer my question.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Not sure about CPU, but I want to say that the GPU drivers are unique to Apple hardware in order to prevent overheating, hence if you use third party GPU drivers you may be voiding your warranty/frying the GPU.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Whenever I run BootCamp on my rMBP, battery life goes out the door, so I'd bet good money Apple doesn't do dick poo poo about power management / temps if it's not running on macOS.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ziploc posted:

I really really love my 2013 11" MBA and sing its praises every chance you get and concur 100% about it being amazing if you have any sort of on call obligations, I have put out a lot of fires via its tiny terminal! I am sad that I'll have to get this current 13" to replace it but it's lived a long well served life. I regret getting a baseline model a lot in hindsight, the lack of memory really hurts as a tab addict.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, anything under 16gb of RAM right now is no good. that's just the way of the web. bloated poo poo everywhere

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The web can work ok on 8 gigs if you use uBlock and privacy badger to block everything

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I had a 2GB/64GB 2010 11” Air and loved it :unsmith:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The web can work ok on 8 gigs if you use uBlock and privacy badger to block everything

Not really. Not when most websites are turning into bloated javascript web apps, regardless of them having ads or not.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
hopefully the rumors are true and we get a <$900 12” MacBook

I really wanted that computer to make sense and be good.

Back when I had an Air I went with 13” but I always gave those rare 11” ones the eye whenever I saw them.

They were the 12” PowerBooks of their day for sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, anything under 16gb of RAM right now is no good. that's just the way of the web. bloated poo poo everywhere

I'll be upgrading it to 16GB (or maybe 32 if the price goes down a bit), but my new 8GB Mini always has a bunch of tabs open (and I just realized I haven't installed any Extensions to deal with poo poo) plus a bunch of apps/services open and the memory pressure is usually fine unless I'm doing a ton of active work. Better than my older 2012 machine would handle things it feels. The speed of the SSD just helps a ton I'm sure.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ok Comboomer posted:

hopefully the rumors are true and we get a <$900 12” MacBook

I really wanted that computer to make sense and be good.

Back when I had an Air I went with 13” but I always gave those rare 11” ones the eye whenever I saw them.

They were the 12” PowerBooks of their day for sure.

Love my 11-inch. Really love that 12. There’s no way it doesn’t come back. Honestly, it’s just too good not to.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my fantasy is a 1984 macintosh style reveal where they show off that its unbelievably loving fast with apple silicon

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

my fantasy is a 1984 macintosh style reveal where they show off that its unbelievably loving fast with apple silicon

I’d take no bootcamp way better if Apple wasn’t being such a poo poo about third party game streaming.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d take no bootcamp way better if Apple wasn’t being such a poo poo about third party game streaming.

I’ve used Parsec for years without issue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

I’ve used Parsec for years without issue.

I was thinking more about how they’ve been treating it on iOS with the fear that those sorts of restrictions might make their way to MacOS more easily with Apple Silicon.

Also Parsec requires you to have a gaming PC around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

When they shrink the bezels, instead of making a 14” screen in a 13” form factor they should make a 13” screen in a 12” form factor :getin: