Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Halloween Jack posted:

I was really befuddled at how Ninja III had the money for all those special effects, but the magic ninja sword looks like cardboard.

I liked how the main character and her apartment seemed to be lifted directly from Flashdance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Between this and last year's Godzilla collection, it's nice to see Criterion finally tackle good movies.

ZeroPrimal
Feb 24, 2010

The slave becomes the master.
Heroes of the East is weird but entertaining. I know the 36th Chamber gets a lot of love in this (dead) thread, but Martial Style has some really great fight scenes, especially the alleyway scenes at the end.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The thread may be dead, but it's still great.

Recently I came across the OST of Wheels on Meals and it's actually quite good, I love how it alternates between epic and corny songs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question that maybe someone here can answer. Hero has the Miramax subtitles for English, right? I recall seeing somewhere a long time ago that there is another subtitle job done that isn't by Miramax, and from what I remember seeing of it, the localization might have been a bit closer to the original script. A google search isn't helping me but that might be because I'm not using the right keywords. Does anyone here know if there is a second english translation of Hero available or is it only the Miramax edition?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Question that maybe someone here can answer. Hero has the Miramax subtitles for English, right? I recall seeing somewhere a long time ago that there is another subtitle job done that isn't by Miramax, and from what I remember seeing of it, the localization might have been a bit closer to the original script. A google search isn't helping me but that might be because I'm not using the right keywords. Does anyone here know if there is a second english translation of Hero available or is it only the Miramax edition?

I have no other information except that I remember the subtitles used in the theatrical release differ from the ones on my DVD copy. Notably, they translate the word "tianxia" differently at the end, presumably fearing political controversy. I don't know if the theatrical translation ever got a home release.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bongo Bill posted:

I have no other information except that I remember the subtitles used in the theatrical release differ from the ones on my DVD copy. Notably, they translate the word "tianxia" differently at the end, presumably fearing political controversy. I don't know if the theatrical translation ever got a home release.

drat. I remember I saw one version that the subtitles when Flying Snow and Nameless defend the calligraphy school were significantly different from the Miramax localization. Really though I just think that translating tianxia as "our land" is incredibly reductive.

Edit

Digging a bit it appears that a Belgian release of the film translates Tianxia as "all under heaven" but I can't tell if it refers to an English translation released in Belgium or if it is in French, Dutch or German.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 23, 2020

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
The only versions of Hero I have only ever seen have used "all under heaven" in the subtitles, but I've also only ever seen the one hour and fifty minute "Director's Cut" version (aka "the regular movie") which is about 10 minutes longer than the version most commonly sold and streaming in the US. This made my guest appearance on an Asian cinema podcast a little tricky, since the hosts had only ever seen the Weinstein cut and I'd have to explain "oh, in the version I saw there's a whole scene where Moon appeals to Nameless to heed her master's words and attempts to take her own life but he stops her" during the discussions of why Nameless had his change of heart, and they'd say "that scene doesn't exist at all in the version we saw!"

That Hero review starts about 45 minutes in, in the event anyone's curious to hear it. At the very least I got to point out the terrible Photoshop job done for the US cover where the Chinese swords so integral to the story were replaced with katana instead held at positions which may exceed the standard range of movement the human wrist is capable of. You can never un-see that once you know it's there.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i thought "Our Land" conveyed the modern nationalist subtext that informs the story and which a more literal translation would not, at least not to general audiences

ZeroPrimal
Feb 24, 2010

The slave becomes the master.
Just watched Ten Tigers of Kwangtung for the first time, it’s a venom mob all-stars movie! I actually did lol at that guy getting his head kicked off at the end.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

So I finally bought and went through EUREKA!'s box set of the Once Upon a Time in China trilogy and wow, the first 2 are masterpieces. And the 3rd one... has a lot of lion dancing I guess. It also has Once Upon a Time in China and America as a bonus feature, but I'm tracking down parts 4 & 5 first because I'm a completionist.

FYI, the box set is Region B only.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
OUATIC&A was a lot of fun, iirc... Compare and contrast with Shanghai Noon

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

i thought "Our Land" conveyed the modern nationalist subtext that informs the story and which a more literal translation would not, at least not to general audiences

Speaking of nationalism, I watched Five Element Ninjas on Netflix the other day and thought it was funny how there's a whole bit about how actually the Chinese invented ninjutsu.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
According to chinese nationalists, China has invented everything, including hamburgers.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My girlfriend and I both love Kung Fu movies. We just discovered this about each other about a month ago, so now we’re doing a kung fu movie night once a week.

We love both the high budget, well choreographed kind and the cheesy as gently caress old ones. Last week was Five Elements Ninjas, which I picked based on this thread. It was so amazingly bad it instantly became our new favorite.

Next week is my next choice (she has this week).

Hit me with some recommendations, preferably streaming on Prime, Netflix, or HBO.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Prime has a pretty good selection but it is a crapshoot as to whether it is in bad English or subtitled Chinese. Recommendations on that: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, Come Drink with Me and since you liked Five Element Ninjas you should definitely watch The Five Venoms.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ConfusedUs posted:

My girlfriend and I both love Kung Fu movies. We just discovered this about each other about a month ago, so now we’re doing a kung fu movie night once a week.

We love both the high budget, well choreographed kind and the cheesy as gently caress old ones. Last week was Five Elements Ninjas, which I picked based on this thread. It was so amazingly bad it instantly became our new favorite.

Hit me with some recommendations, preferably streaming on Prime, Netflix, or HBO.

It sounds like you might have already seen it but 36th Chamber of Shaolin is a must for any fan of the genre. Looks like it's on Netflix. The sequel is also great and there's an early twist with how it works as a sequel.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ConfusedUs posted:

There's only ever one recommendation and it's Crippled Avengers

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

multiple recommendations posted:

36th Chamber of Shaolin

Sold.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

muscles like this! posted:

Prime has a pretty good selection but it is a crapshoot as to whether it is in bad English or subtitled Chinese. Recommendations on that: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, Come Drink with Me and since you liked Five Element Ninjas you should definitely watch The Five Venoms.

Come drink with me is a particularly bad dub and a pretty lovely transfer too. Unfortunately it’s a real hassle to see it in any better format in the US. 88films has a newish blu that I’m assuming is the same one I saw in theatres summer last, and if so it’s beautiful

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

For a long time I’ve mulled over getting an av of either Bruce Campbell putting on his robot arm in army of darkness with the subtitle “also, it shoots darts!” Or Lu Feng putting on his in Crippled Avengers with the text “...Groovy.” But im very lazy

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is the correct answer FYI. Many movies may try, this movie does.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Howdy thread!

I recently found this bit of horrendously dubbed kung fu on an old super8 reel and was hoping to find more info on it. Not sure if it's from an actual film or just a stunt guy's demo.

https://youtu.be/2cz_epv1crk

The guy in the sunglasses and the guy at the end look real familiar, but I'm not super knowledgeable about the genre.

The fighting itself is alright, but the bus driver kick is worth the price of admission alone.

Appreciate any leads!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Lizard Combatant posted:

Howdy thread!

I recently found this bit of horrendously dubbed kung fu on an old super8 reel and was hoping to find more info on it. Not sure if it's from an actual film or just a stunt guy's demo.

https://youtu.be/2cz_epv1crk

The guy in the sunglasses and the guy at the end look real familiar, but I'm not super knowledgeable about the genre.

The fighting itself is alright, but the bus driver kick is worth the price of admission alone.

Appreciate any leads!

I'm pretty sure the meaty guy with the sunglasses that shows up at 0:27 is Bolo Yeung.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

G-III posted:

I'm pretty sure the meaty guy with the sunglasses is Bolo Yeung.

Yeah, someone else suggested that to me too and it certainly looks a lot like him.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB0Tu8X2BRs

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Amazing, well done!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm so mad that the only copy I can find of this with english subtitles is on VCD while there's an HD version out with only german and cantonese subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7drDmrQ8f8

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

G-III posted:

I'm so mad that the only copy I can find of this with english subtitles is on VCD while there's an HD version out with only german and cantonese subs.

Goddamn, I saw that on VHS, it’s tragic, like The Godfather with Kung-Fu, and crap I forgot how great the fighting was.

Also Goddamn film is amazing, so glad somebody saved a print.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Love this exchange from the beginning of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

G-III posted:

Is there any way to double check the German version? Not optimistic but there's a few German releases of late 80s/early 90s genre flicks not from the US that don't have English subtitles listed because they weren't added as an option but are hard subtitles on the transfer itself or they're just like there and unlisted for some reason.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 10, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Weird question but is there an available copy of The Tongfather that doesn't look like a broken VHS? I got this book recently, "The Ultimate Guide to Martial Arts Movies of the 1970s" and the author's remarks got me curious about watching it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Has there been any talk about a martial arts streaming service? Ideally one that is good, there's been a few sketchy ones primarily consisting of public domain stuff and Brucesploitation

Like maybe a Dragon Dynasty one, they seem to own a fair bit of rights

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Check out Hi-Ya!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Looks like Warner Archive is putting out a new 2K scan of Drunken Master II with the original Cantonese language track.

https://youtu.be/2JPHM5jnGqs

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Hello HK thread,

Does anyone know if the Twilight Time Blu of Snake in Eagle's Shadow has the original cantonese track with the Jean Michele Jarre and Bond movie score?

Also, anyone with Amazon Prime should check out Kuei Chih-Hung's Killer Constable.

To me this movie seemed to have a very japanese sensibility, like an early pulpy seijun suzuki flick or something. A HK movie where swords hurt and everyone is a shithead. Directed by the guy who did Bewitched and Boxer's Omen.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Ok, I can't for the life of me remember which kung fu movie it's from or what the weapon actually was but I remember a guy referring to his weapon as "Capitol Chopper". Does that ring any bells for anyone?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The other day I remembered watching a presumably Japanese martial arts movie that has swastikas EVERYWHERE, on the uniforms (karate style) the temple floor and walls, everywhere. Yeah these were the good guys. I saw it on TV in the early 80’s. Ring a bell for anybody?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Swastikas are not that uncommon in old martial arts movies, you might need more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Master of the Flying Guillotine features a swastika as part of the main baddie's outfit, maybe you're thinking of that?

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 7, 2021