Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The really weird thing about the caddie doing that is that the sand at Bandon is pretty much the same everywhere on the course, so to do it on the 18th hole is just incredibly dumb. The entire property is one massive sand dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dr. Capco posted:

The really weird thing about the caddie doing that is that the sand at Bandon is pretty much the same everywhere on the course, so to do it on the 18th hole is just incredibly dumb. The entire property is one massive sand dune.

As an Oregonian no other course infuriates me more than Bandon Dunes. gently caress that course - give me Pacific Dunes or Old Macdonald any day over it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Daric posted:

Buddy from another golf forum sent me an attachment for my ClicGear that holds a stand bag better so it won't rotate on the push cart. Works great. I'm excited to take it out soon.

Also ordered the True OG Feel's today so I'll let y'all know how they fit and feel when I get them in.

Take a pic of said attachment, please. I've been looking for a similar solution.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Kameh posted:

Take a pic of said attachment, please. I've been looking for a similar solution.

It's this:
https://www.clicgearusa.com/products/clicgear-bag-cozy

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Picked up my retip/regrip. The putter grip is reasonably good—the upper half is aligned perfectly but the lower half slightly closed.

My bigger concern is that the replacement OEM Titleist adapter was SIXTY DOLLARS. :wtc: If I had known that, I never would have tried pulling the tip from my broken shaft since that screwed it up. It’s structurally fine but the anodization is hosed up. I “painted” over the section with the numbers with sharpie loool :suicide:

At least the putter felt good on their in-store putting green.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 17, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Jesus, CBS has to be banned from golf coverage. Watching them with the camera on the clubhouse leader laughing at his nerves as he waits the only guys who can tie him to force a playoff, you'd think they were in the eighth grade.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

The US Amateur is kind of nuts right now. They can’t get a distance on their range finders through the fog and no one except the top tracer knows where the ball is going

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Douchebag posted:

The US Amateur is kind of nuts right now. They can’t get a distance on their range finders through the fog and no one except the top tracer knows where the ball is going

Man, the 15th ate the lunch of those guys yesterday.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Man, the 15th ate the lunch of those guys yesterday.

It wasn’t pretty today either, but it was fun to watch

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Douchebag posted:

It wasn’t pretty today either, but it was fun to watch

Sometimes, when I'm kidding myself, I see players play a hole badly and think about how I could have played the hole for par. I watched how that hole played and the slope on that green and thought, if I played it as my regular course, I'd just play it for bogey and hope.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Sometimes, when I'm kidding myself, I see players play a hole badly and think about how I could have played the hole for par. I watched how that hole played and the slope on that green and thought, if I played it as my regular course, I'd just play it for bogey and hope.

That course was nasty though. Fun nasty.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
After 2 consecutive 89 rounds, feeling good about my game, I got absolutely humbled in front of total strangers on a very links-style course. This game is brutal.

Can't wait to do it again

Carl Winslow
Sep 1, 2004
donut
With 2020 in the shitter, no better time to dive into this hobby. I've got a set of hand-me-down clubs that are probably 15ish years old but I can't imagine they are my limiting factor at this point. I've got my first lesson/swing evaluation scheduled for Weds, but wondering if anyone has any beginner drills/youtubes to recommend that I can work on throughout the workday.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Carl Winslow posted:

With 2020 in the shitter, no better time to dive into this hobby. I've got a set of hand-me-down clubs that are probably 15ish years old but I can't imagine they are my limiting factor at this point. I've got my first lesson/swing evaluation scheduled for Weds, but wondering if anyone has any beginner drills/youtubes to recommend that I can work on throughout the workday.

There are some good basics on YouTube, but no one should point you just yet. Your instructor/evaluator may have some specific things he wants you to look to first. Lots of contradictory advice out there...I'd wait until you see him to start looking at online tutorials.

Carl Winslow
Sep 1, 2004
donut

torgeaux posted:

There are some good basics on YouTube, but no one should point you just yet. Your instructor/evaluator may have some specific things he wants you to look to first. Lots of contradictory advice out there...I'd wait until you see him to start looking at online tutorials.

Good point - might as well wait until Weds and roll with that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah just wait for the first in person lesson. I get the excitement of something new but you're gonna be best off in the long run to let that lesson you scheduled be your foundation.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i found some clubs in a garbage and one of the woods is actually made out of wood lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

old persimmon woods own and make the most satisfying sound when struck well

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
My dad has probably half a dozen persimmons but they're all so old and not taken care of that they've cracked

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guys, I did it.

I bought the Cobra F9 One Length Irons

I am history's greatest monster.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I looked back three pages and didn't see anything mentioning this but if it was posted already my apologies.

Some woman got a 100 yard hole in one on Sheep Ranch at Bandon Dunes with her putter:

https://twitter.com/Todleonardsd/status/1294767941137776640?s=20

Golf digest has a write up as well:
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/sheep-ranch-ace-with-putter
Awesome.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Just got done playing nine holes with one length irons. It took some getting used to but I remembered why I loved them at the club. I am bombing that five iron.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Went back to the course tonight and flew the drone around while they were about to close.

This is Jersey Meadow Golf Course in Houston.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rewatching the US Amateur coverage from the weekend. Nobody told me we had a Yellow Jacket in the final! That’s 2 years in a row for GT.

The winner had a Cameron 009. No chance of me ever paying up for one of those secondhand. The Odyssey Toulon Austin is really close and the Byron DH89 is a straight up copy but those are $400+.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 18, 2020

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Lost my old clubs in a garage fire a year ago (RIP my beloved odyssey dual force rossie II) and haven't played since. The urge has arisen again, so it's time to shop. Last time I bought an iron set was years ago at Costco haha, what's the cool best way to buy clubs these days? I have a Golf Galaxy close by; since I'm 6'3" would it be worth going down and actually getting fitted? I was kind of planning on doing that for the driver and certainly for choosing a putter anyway, and then waiting for a good deal on irons/wedges online.

I'm by no means a good player (usually hovering around mid 90s), so I'm not under any illusions that spending a ton of time/money shopping will improve my game in a large way. At the same time, definitely starting anew here with 100% new gear so I'd like to do it somewhat right.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Lost my old clubs in a garage fire a year ago (RIP my beloved odyssey dual force rossie II) and haven't played since. The urge has arisen again, so it's time to shop. Last time I bought an iron set was years ago at Costco haha, what's the cool best way to buy clubs these days? I have a Golf Galaxy close by; since I'm 6'3" would it be worth going down and actually getting fitted? I was kind of planning on doing that for the driver and certainly for choosing a putter anyway, and then waiting for a good deal on irons/wedges online.

I'm by no means a good player (usually hovering around mid 90s), so I'm not under any illusions that spending a ton of time/money shopping will improve my game in a large way. At the same time, definitely starting anew here with 100% new gear so I'd like to do it somewhat right.

You can find used clubs that are 1-3 years old for fairly cheap. That's the route I'd go. Check Callaway Preowned and Second Swing.

Every manufacturer releases new clubs every year and there's not really that big a difference in the technologies. I'm actually going to get a driver pretty soon and since Callaway just announced a new one this morning, I'm betting the used Epics are going to go down in price quick.

Edit: Also wanted to clarify that your height should be fine. Unless you're 6'6" or taller, the standard club length will be fine for your height and skill level. If you're regularly shooting in the 70s it would probably be worth getting fitted to adjust lie angle and maybe club length.

Daric fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 18, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is there such a thing as a one length fairway wood? Asking for a friend.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

With a hacksaw and some patience, any club can be a one length club :v:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played at Grand Lakes Golf Course this morning.

The good? 8500 feet elevation, so even longer shots than my normal 5600 or so courses. Beautifully kept, great views. Played the tips at around 6500 yards.

The bad? The tips are about 6500, I'm not sure how it got a 71/129 rating since the little water and sand we're not in play for most shots and the trees were minimally in play. The course is defenseless, but for smallish greens.

I played pretty conservatively on the front 9, following the score card's advice on the holes. Shot 40, which was just failure on course knowledge (playing solo). Shot 38 on the back.

The score card advice was bad. Overly conservative mostly, and almost never the best, or even safest tee shot.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Daric posted:

Went back to the course tonight and flew the drone around while they were about to close.

This is Jersey Meadow Golf Course in Houston.

Are you based in Houston? I live and play around Pearland/South Houston, but I've played JM a number of times.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Daric posted:

You can find used clubs that are 1-3 years old for fairly cheap. That's the route I'd go. Check Callaway Preowned and Second Swing.

Every manufacturer releases new clubs every year and there's not really that big a difference in the technologies. I'm actually going to get a driver pretty soon and since Callaway just announced a new one this morning, I'm betting the used Epics are going to go down in price quick.

Edit: Also wanted to clarify that your height should be fine. Unless you're 6'6" or taller, the standard club length will be fine for your height and skill level. If you're regularly shooting in the 70s it would probably be worth getting fitted to adjust lie angle and maybe club length.

Spent a considerable amount of company time today looking at those two sites, thank you.

I figured as much with club length/fitting; I've always done "fine" with standard irons but have also always been mildly curious if I was missing something.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Kameh posted:

Are you based in Houston? I live and play around Pearland/South Houston, but I've played JM a number of times.

I am! I’m about 10 minutes from Jersey Meadow but I play all over.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric about to spend 18 holes getting his ear talked off about Sergio :munch:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Kameh and I have been posting around each other for years between UH football and the golf threads but as long as he doesn't damage greens like Sergio, we'll be alright.

I started a new position at work back in March which allows me a lot more freedom in my schedule so I'm trying to play more. I also have a "Ryder Cup" event in December with my friends so I need to practice a lot more.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Spent a considerable amount of company time today looking at those two sites, thank you.

I've been pretty unhappy with my driver lately (it's a 10+ year old Taylormade Rocketballz and not even the adjustable version) so I went on to Callaway Preowned and fell into a Epic Flash Sub Zero which is 1 year old for $300 off the new price. And if I don't like it, I can just return it.

I've bought a few things off there, mostly Mack Daddy wedges which I love, and they've all been basically new. Great site.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Daric posted:

I am! I’m about 10 minutes from Jersey Meadow but I play all over.

Sick. Is Heron Lakes open?

DJExile posted:

Daric about to spend 18 holes getting his ear talked off about Sergio :munch:

Listen here, you little poo poo.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Kameh posted:

Sick. Is Heron Lakes open?

Listen here, you little poo poo.

Pretty sure they closed Heron Lakes forever. Last time I drove by the weeds were six feet tall.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

Last time I drove by the weeds were six feet tall.

Next US Open course found

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

I've been pretty unhappy with my driver lately (it's a 10+ year old Taylormade Rocketballz and not even the adjustable version) so I went on to Callaway Preowned and fell into a Epic Flash Sub Zero which is 1 year old for $300 off the new price. And if I don't like it, I can just return it.

I've bought a few things off there, mostly Mack Daddy wedges which I love, and they've all been basically new. Great site.

Yeah, I picked up my driver, 3W, 5W, and a SW from there. The only thing I've gotten from there that I didn't care for was a 3H that I never felt comfortable with, and was too close to what I hit my 5W at anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Just want to reiterate how great Callaway Preowned is. I ordered that driver yesterday morning and paid for the 4-7 business day delivery. It immediately got picked, shipped, and is out for delivery now. I live in Houston and it's coming from Austin so that helps but that's great service. Hopefully it'll be here in time for my round this evening.