Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
https://twitter.com/kittynouveau/status/1295726083342508033?s=20

What kind of loving idiot disrespects Dolly Parton...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yestermoment posted:

As someone with a german background, married to someone who is ethnically Finnish but raised in and learned Swedish almost exclusively, allow me to weigh in on this discussion of lingustics in the meme thread:

Hallojaa, koira puhelimessa!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Unfortunately the loving main VA for Squidbillies, who genuinely thought he could come for Dolly fuckin Parton. Like I love the show but between that and the David Allan Coe poo poo it’s...it’s fine to just let it go.

anyway death to America
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pig-rPUi6Y0

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How the gently caress are they still making squidbillies? I honestly thought it got cancelled after the first 13 episodes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does the rest of his face look like "what if someone turned the forehead slider all the way up in Seth McFarlane Simulator 2020?" too?

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah. Y2K baby.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

imagine having some kind of semi-high-profile dream job that definitely requires you to keep your loving opinions to yourself, and you just can't do that. LOL

Oh poo poo, Squidbillies...wtf I thought that whole show was dunking on right wing chuds...this sucks.

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Aug 18, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Count me in as astounded that they're still making Squidbillies. They're not even cancelling it now! They're recasting Early and doing a thirteenth season. From the few minutes of it I watched probably a decade ago, it really struck me as a sort of generic Adult Swim project that would run for a few seasons before making way for the next thing. I am astounded that it's been dragged out to now.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the ones I've seen have been regularly funny, but I haven't watched in a while.

he got shitcanned immediately, for what it's worth.

also, there's a whole loving epidode about the squids being prejudiced against white people, to the point that the son is shocked to learn he's half white.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

OwlFancier posted:

That might be my dialect loving it up then because bird and word are pronounced the same way. But then dialects also gently caress up trying to describe any sort of pronunciation.

You go not to far from me and there's people who will say bird with the vowel sound from the word "air"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndz86gVm71Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gc4QTqslN4

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It's remarkable that people still don't understand Twitter. Do they think it's a private conversation? They're literally spewing their worst opinions out into the open and then get upset and frustrated when people react to it. They are so dumb

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
greetings from the futuristic year 2000:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol they just turned him into Billy Dee Williams

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

The Bloop posted:

lol they just turned him into Billy Dee Williams

That jacket/tie combo are on point tho.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

That jacket/tie combo are on point tho.

that's a belt

they also turned him into David Carradine

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Squidbillies is such pitch perfect satire that I'm genuinely surprised he's a real life chud. Every joke makes fun of racist white trash so well I just assumed the people involved had some self awareness.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
The writers maybe- hes just a va for it as far as I knew.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the show definitely will not work without him

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Good loving riddance.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

It's like finding out that Jefferson artist is a chud, it's like wtf.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Trashmen had a real problem with making one song repeatedly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBqEfBI29So

You'll like these two songs where they stole it from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edYQiZxyw0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQrQjNNZCAo

A Grand Egg has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Aug 18, 2020

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Folks,

I love they Always do that weird random capitalization Thing that boomers of Age or boomers of mindset Love to DO!

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Fartbox posted:

It's remarkable that people still don't understand Twitter. Do they think it's a private conversation? They're literally spewing their worst opinions out into the open and then get upset and frustrated when people react to it. They are so dumb

I think he posted it on facebook, based on the screenshots. If he's like most of the old chuddy shitheads, his facebook scroll is probably 99% racist chud qanon crap. Information bubbles are great, until they pop unexpectedly.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Nucular Carmul posted:

Squidbillies is such pitch perfect satire that I'm genuinely surprised he's a real life chud. Every joke makes fun of racist white trash so well I just assumed the people involved had some self awareness.

Southern white trash don't all fit into the same stereotype you see in media. There are tiers, and rich and educated Southern racists most definitely poo poo on poor Southern racists and call them hicks, rednecks, etc, while also holding pretty much exactly the same worldview as them on anyone who isn't white. Even poor white Southerners poo poo on anyone else who fits the redneck stereotypeore more closely than they do.

Also, most racist assholes haven't accepted how other people see them. They may even think they're perfectly accepting of other races as long as 'those people' don't 'act up' or ever make themselves seen in a way that makes white people uncomfortable.

So it's actually not surprising at all that a racist, conservative rear end in a top hat who hates BLM was part of a show making fun of redneck stereotypes for years and even thought he was in on the joke while being almost indistinguishable from what he parodied.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

the show definitely will not work without him

They're recasting Early. They can probably find someone who will work.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I think he posted it on facebook, based on the screenshots. If he's like most of the old chuddy shitheads, his facebook scroll is probably 99% racist chud qanon crap. Information bubbles are great, until they pop unexpectedly.

It's so tempting and easy to look at people like him going "you've all ruined my life over nothing, this is everybody's fault but mine" and just say they're stupid. But there's got to be some systemic reason in social networks like Facebook that lead otherwise logical and intelligent people to believe that they should not expect any kind of consequences for being loud unapologetic shitheads, because it just .. keeps .. happening.

Someday someone's going to figure out what kind of reality distortion field these things project on people and we as a species will be like "Well ... hmm. poo poo. That sure was stupid of us" like how we currently look at using lead in gasoline and paint

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It's so tempting and easy to look at people like him going "you've all ruined my life over nothing, this is everybody's fault but mine" and just say they're stupid. But there's got to be some systemic reason in social networks like Facebook that lead otherwise logical and intelligent people to believe that they should not expect any kind of consequences for being loud unapologetic shitheads, because it just .. keeps .. happening.

Someday someone's going to figure out what kind of reality distortion field these things project on people and we as a species will be like "Well ... hmm. poo poo. That sure was stupid of us" like how we currently look at using lead in gasoline and paint

Those studies are already starting to come out and boy does social media gently caress people up. Even this very forum has probably done irreparable damage to my already soft brain but I'll never know!

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Data Graham posted:

The internet was a mistake

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I think One More Far Nerd already hit it on the head - it's not much of a mystery. Facebook just unfortunately makes it really, really easy for users to create their own realities, where they can surround themselves with like-minded friends and family, super-biased news sources, and so that it can be a genuine surprise for some folks when their little world suddenly comes crashing down around them and it turns out not everyone is a shithead like them.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

redgubbinz posted:

Those studies are already starting to come out and boy does social media gently caress people up. Even this very forum has probably done irreparable damage to my already soft brain but I'll never know!

Are you permabanned poster N*****stomper58?

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Data Graham posted:

They live in communities that agree with them or at least let them be lovely and ignore it, sometimes that's "well hes free to say that..." with zero consequence, sometimes its "dont antagonise the prick, he will leave soon", sometimes its an element of fame. Often its actually people agree with them.

His posts seem to be on Facebook, personal account. He probably has said heaps of poo poo stuff, and as above his people let it pass for whatever reason, but some rando bothered to look.

A Grand Egg has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Aug 18, 2020

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry for causing that god awful Scandinavian letter derail, guys. :v:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

It is genuinely shocking to see people that have anything other than disdain for Squidbillies. Also shocking to learn that's one of the shows they choose to keep on the air.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I've seen the first four seasons and they're funny as hell, can't imagine it's still good though

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lodin posted:

Sorry for causing that god awful Scandinavian letter derail, guys. :v:

At least it wasn't German letter derail. Those are the wurst.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Elfface posted:

Are you permabanned poster N*****stomper58?

No, I can only dream of achieving such a legendary posting status

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

hawowanlawow posted:

I've seen the first four seasons and they're funny as hell, can't imagine it's still good though

There are hits and misses but it held up pretty well. Seasons 11 is one the show's strongest, imo.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Watching other people break societal rules/norms and not have any consequences makes people way more comfortable with breaking said rules/norms. Theres been lots of studies on it. Its why theres no such thing as "one bad apple" in a police department.

Dude's feed is almost certainly full of gray haired racists posting the same or worse than that dude did every day, and as far as he knows they've still all got jobs, etc.

Unchecked, social media is absolutely poisonous and any functional future society that retains information age capabilities is going to have far tighter controls on it than we do.

(Lol there is no future society)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

I'm amazed Squidbillies is still going. I remember trying to find :filez: of it back on the early dodgy streaming sites when Adult Swim was just filtering into my awareness.