Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Harsh, but fair.

I think once she sees that color in person she might change her mind. I've seen it in the flesh and it's spectacular (in LA sunsight anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://mart.pca.org/ads/45811

This is kind of tempting, and on the right side of the country.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

https://mart.pca.org/ads/45811

This is kind of tempting, and on the right side of the country.

"A/C original, but condenser and compressor removed for a cleaner look."

:thunk:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

"A/C original, but condenser and compressor removed for a cleaner look."

:thunk:

They do claim the air conditioning was working, but :sigh: yeah, you're probably right.

I should really wait to get the car I want (green over brown) instead of settling like I have in the past.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I should really wait to get the car I want (green over brown) instead of settling like I have in the past.

Have you seen a properly good shape and waxed garnet red metallic car in person before? It doesn't photograph well, but it looks pretty great in person.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Have you seen a properly good shape and waxed garnet red metallic car in person before? It doesn't photograph well, but it looks pretty great in person.

Oh yeah, they look fantastic, I'm just wondering if I'll regret not getting the car I really want (green) when one inevitably shows up a week after I buy something.

And there's also the question of whether I should hold out for a 3.2/G50 car, although this one seems to be pretty well maintained with a recent complete rebuild.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I found a markedly less beat up 996 cab that's even closer to me today on fb marketplace. What's the take on this one?

Owner has pretty much no records beyond the IMS. Claims the clutch is good, no accidents, and number of owners unknown. "No issues with brakes or suspension. Convertible top itself is in pretty good condition with the exception of some separation to passenger side top corner."

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Guy contacted me about a 996 turbo in Forest green over brown leather. 45k miles, asking 50-55k. I've played with the idea of a 996TT for a while. Looks great in pictures, although this one also has a tune/exhaust.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 17, 2020

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Residency Evil posted:

Guy contacted me about a 996 turbo in Forest green over brown leather. 45k miles, asking 50-55k. I've played with the idea of a 996TT for a while. Looks great in pictures, although this one also has a tune/exhaust.

From what everyone is saying the 996 turbo is the best value buy 911 at the moment. Could get this while you wait for the dream 993 or 964?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't know which color I like more, that or that dark blue I've seen a few TTs in. Really nice.

willroc7 posted:

I found a markedly less beat up 996 cab that's even closer to me today on fb marketplace. What's the take on this one?

Owner has pretty much no records beyond the IMS. Claims the clutch is good, no accidents, and number of owners unknown. "No issues with brakes or suspension. Convertible top itself is in pretty good condition with the exception of some separation to passenger side top corner."
Take a look?

I'm personally not scared of not having tons of records, BUT, there are tons of maintenance which can be costly, or at the very least a royal pain in the rear end, if they haven't been done so it would be nice to have some assurance if only receipts for parts if the guy was a competent wrencher.

Water pump & associated isn't bad to do if you're reasonably handy, but the AOS and the like are a royal pain in the rear end without dropping the motor.. .and things like that are a total wear item that will very likely need to be done if they haven't been in the last 10-ish years. Maybe less.

E: I think you are the guy that has a bit of a hard on for cabs, which is cool if they float your boat, but be super anal on the functioning of the top and condition, and hopefully he has a proper hard top for it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 17, 2020

dema
Aug 13, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Plasti Dip looking wheels are always a red flag in my book.

Do love my 996 though.

dema fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 17, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Thanks for the replies. I would actually prefer a coupe, or better yet, a targa, but these are just the ones I’m finding nearby in my price range.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Red_Fred posted:

From what everyone is saying the 996 turbo is the best value buy 911 at the moment. Could get this while you wait for the dream 993 or 964?

Sure, although realistically I can only have one fun car at a time. I've never had a 911, and that green over brown looks incredible, so I might hang on to it and miss out if an air-cooled car comes along.

Man does it look great though. You wouldn't even feel bad driving it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Residency Evil posted:

That's one hell of a lot of car for that money. How something like that is selling for at or below what the run-of-the-mill '88 Cab is going for on BAT just doesn't make any sense to me. I know depreciation curve, nostalgia bump, all that, but a 996 Turbo with 45k miles for $50k is a screaming buy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

That's one hell of a lot of car for that money. How something like that is selling for at or below what the run-of-the-mill '88 Cab is going for on BAT just doesn't make any sense to me. I know depreciation curve, nostalgia bump, all that, but a 996 Turbo with 45k miles for $50k is a screaming buy.

Ok ok I'm emailing him for more information jeez.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah buy that one if you refuse to put together a powerpoint deck to show your wife how awesome the brown one actually is (that metallic bronze-brown color looks so amazing in SoCal light anyhow.) That green one is a hell of a car for that price. And you don't even have to look at the headlights if you are inside it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That color is loving beautiful, do it. Do it now.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

makegreengreatagain

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

You wouldn't even feel bad driving it.
Don't buy a car you'd feel bad about putting miles on.

Also another vote for the green Turbo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
or buy a green miata and a rack to store it on top of. Just sayin.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Hell yeah, especially in a non-silver color. I'd also be more worried if it was unmodded at this point because there's some incredible stuff out there that's very cost effective compared to the car itself and they're really tough to hurt. Join ussss.

We just finally got around to getting ours inspected after having to remove the PO's windshield tint so I'm dying to cruise around again after having it sit for almost 8 months from :effort: and the roni

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jymmybob posted:

Hell yeah, especially in a non-silver color. I'd also be more worried if it was unmodded at this point because there's some incredible stuff out there that's very cost effective compared to the car itself and they're really tough to hurt. Join ussss.

We just finally got around to getting ours inspected after having to remove the PO's windshield tint so I'm dying to cruise around again after having it sit for almost 8 months from :effort: and the roni

Going to check this car out on Saturday! Anything to look out for in particular on a 996? If I do end up buying it, I'll obviously get a real PPI beforehand.

981 Cayman S -> 987 Spyder -> 996 Turbo?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 18, 2020

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Going to check this car out on Saturday! Anything to look out for in particular on a 996? If I do end up buying it, I'll obviously get a real PPI beforehand.

996 turbos don't really have a list of weak points so it's more just condition and signs of abuse. A list of the mods would be convenient but it can also be fun to figure out what's been done. I bought mine sight unseen through Ebay with only a Porsche dealer PPI that was a complete waste and it turned out fine. I knew it supposedly had an AWE 700R kit but other than that I got to find out the other stuff like a Europipe stage 2 exhaust and GT2/GT3 parts scattered around. The big spender PO spent a ton of money but kept it looking stock and didn't mess with the suspension which is perfect because I'm not planning to track it.

The only other specific thing I can think of would be pinned coolant lines but that's mostly a track thing.

Today was the first day I took it out in 2020 :toot:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Please give me your car

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Apart from the obvious coolant line thing, I have read here and there about 2nd-gear pop-out on abused gearboxes. Doubt that's the case on this one but it may be worth testing yourself, esp when the car is cold

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

got off on a technicality posted:

Apart from the obvious coolant line thing, I have read here and there about 2nd-gear pop-out on abused gearboxes. Doubt that's the case on this one but it may be worth testing yourself, esp when the car is cold

I forgot about that and even have a GBox detent sitting around :cripes:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

He says the coolant lines haven't been pinned, but that sounds like it's ok?

As far as the second gear pop-out issue, do you primarily see that under acceleration?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

He says the coolant lines haven't been pinned, but that sounds like it's ok?

As far as the second gear pop-out issue, do you primarily see that under acceleration?

Get on and off the gas in a very jerky manner in 2nd gear to load/unload the transmission, or just accelerate decently in 2nd and come fully off the gas quickly. It'll happen off throttle.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Yup. The other way is engine brake going downhill but same idea.

Pinned lines are a bonus but irrelevant unless you're planning to track or otherwise run it so hard that the adhesive holding the lines in breaks down. Not an issue for anything possible or remotely legal on roads.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1...d_other_bidders

lol and it might go even higher

edit: this is also calling my name: https://mart.pca.org/ads/45894

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 20, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

quote:

Sold For $81,000 On 8/20/20

(Looks like BAT had some server issues and multiple people had bids at $81k that didn't register, so it may have gone even higher. That seems way too high for a non-original-paint car with an accident history.)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 20, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1...d_other_bidders

lol and it might go even higher

edit: this is also calling my name: https://mart.pca.org/ads/45894

Ppi scheduled. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ended up driving the Green 996 Turbo. Missed being in a coupe. The car looks to be in great shape. Everything works: no issues with the transmission, the rear spoiler goes up/down without a problem, the paint's in great shape (Dark Green over Tan interior), and clearly the guy has taken care of the car over the past few years. 44k miles, and he pretty willingly said we could do 52k, pending nothing major on a PPI. I was pretty honest and told him I was looking at an air cooled car as well, but man am I tempted by the Turbo. I could definitely drive it for a while and be happy, although it's not the air cooled car I was looking for.

Out of curiosity, how hard/easy is it to get at least bluetooth audio in these cars? This car had PCM with old Navigation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I could definitely drive it for a while and be happy, although it's not the air cooled car I was looking for.

Out of curiosity, how hard/easy is it to get at least bluetooth audio in these cars? This car had PCM with old Navigation.

I don't think you're going to lose money on a clean 996 Turbo like that for what he's asking.

And yeah, the old PCMs are bad. I've replaced mine with an android radio. It works great, fits well. I just checked the place I got mine from (Seicane) and they don't have any for the 996, but I'm sure one of the many other rebrands of these roockchip PX5's will. Should be able to do it for under $600. $750 if the current system is Bose (bose is optical out, so you need a MOST adapter for audio). You can even throw on a rear camera and/or a dash cam.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

I don't think you're going to lose money on a clean 996 Turbo like that for what he's asking.

And yeah, the old PCMs are bad. I've replaced mine with an android radio. It works great, fits well. I just checked the place I got mine from (Seicane) and they don't have any for the 996, but I'm sure one of the many other rebrands of these roockchip PX5's will. Should be able to do it for under $600. $750 if the current system is Bose (bose is optical out, so you need a MOST adapter for audio). You can even throw on a rear camera and/or a dash cam.

Yeah, it's definitely a clean/great looking car. Somewhat raw/old enough to be really fun, and the Turbos seem to look better than the regular cars for whatever reason.

I honestly don't care THAT much about the radio: a way to even get just the audio in would be fine. The system in the car I checked out was Bose. Ideally, there'd be some solution that would just plug in to the CD changer.

Or I guess I could get that Porsche system put in.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
If you like it then get that one and never look back because you're unlikely to find a nicer example unless you specifically want an x50 or some option set. Out of curiosity, what mods were done to it and did you drive with the windows open to listen to the whooshy noises?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jymmybob posted:

If you like it then get that one and never look back because you're unlikely to find a nicer example unless you specifically want an x50 or some option set. Out of curiosity, what mods were done to it and did you drive with the windows open to listen to the whooshy noises?

Obviously x50 would be great, but this has:

1. UMW Tune
2. Upgraded GT2 clutch
3. FVD Exhaust
4. Extra pair of rimzzz (997 TT)

gently caress it's nice. 52k honestly doesn't seem like a bad deal for everything, especially since it's a relative unicorn color wise.

edit: vvv It has the double DIN PCM (v2.1, i think) from 2004.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 22, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Residency Evil posted:

Ended up driving the Green 996 Turbo. Missed being in a coupe. The car looks to be in great shape. Everything works: no issues with the transmission, the rear spoiler goes up/down without a problem, the paint's in great shape (Dark Green over Tan interior), and clearly the guy has taken care of the car over the past few years. 44k miles, and he pretty willingly said we could do 52k, pending nothing major on a PPI. I was pretty honest and told him I was looking at an air cooled car as well, but man am I tempted by the Turbo. I could definitely drive it for a while and be happy, although it's not the air cooled car I was looking for.

Just buy it. If it were close to me I'd personally be looking at it as I've wanted a 996TT, although I'd prefer a :canada: or Euro spec.

If you dislike the Porsche audio, there are plug and play kits available depending on what it has for factory equipment.

If it's single DIN, Continental, while not common in North America (although available) fits in about perfect and a great color match.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/products/car-audio.html?limit=30

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, +1 to the Conti head units. Looks like it belongs in my 996 and the Bluetooth works perfectly with my iPhones.

Below photo is from a while back. I've changed some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You can get a unit that plugs into the aux port on the OEM headunits as long as you don’t have or don’t want to use the optional CD changer.