Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Love my steel toed tabi

Who knew there was a market for the Ninja Turtles to have footwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Platystemon posted:

Brass flange. It’s soldered on.

Here’s someone doing it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL7aL0idBjU

So you have to be gordon freeman to replace a toilet flange, got it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do you wear a helmet at all times, too?

If I had a comfortable hard hat? Why not.

But generally your feet are at risk more than your head in most environments.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Love my steel toed tabi

Y'all joke but I knew this guy in college.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DiHK posted:

Pretty sure we all did. There's always one.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DiHK posted:

From 2016 to 2018, there was one dude on my campus that would wear this full sleeve of leather armor every day, along with some variation of punk outfit that absolutely betrayed his soft, bougie origins because it was always clean, new looking clothes. Like he was ready at any given moment for either a dainty little mosh pit if someone put Green Day on a radio, or a spontaneous SCA event.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

You all genuinely joke but in Japan most craftsman still wear Jika-tabi as a combination of pride and convieniance. You probably won’t find them on a high rise construction site but on a timber job they’ll all be wearing them. I’ve seen first hand a Japanese wind turbine assembly gang wearing them too which was kinda surreal.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Spotted across the alley at work.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think that's standard (assuming you're posting the ladder on the wires) Assuming that's similar to how it is near me, the lower lines are all cable lines, the power are further up. It is still a massive rats nest though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DiHK posted:

ngl if i was a field marine biologist i would probably own at least one pair of these. but otherwise no deal

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/TheLotusYeeter/status/1295092853647974400

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

5er posted:

From 2016 to 2018, there was one dude on my campus that would wear this full sleeve of leather armor every day

I see a guy at the bus stop on occasion wearing a full chainmail shirt under his 7-11 uniform. I'm not sure if he's a huge nerd, or just really worried about getting stabbed.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 18, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Drone_Fragger posted:

You all genuinely joke but in Japan most craftsman still wear Jika-tabi as a combination of pride and convieniance. You probably won’t find them on a high rise construction site but on a timber job they’ll all be wearing them. I’ve seen first hand a Japanese wind turbine assembly gang wearing them too which was kinda surreal.

They wore them when doing shipyard work when i was stationed out there, too.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/r3h6MKD.mp4

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 18, 2020

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I see a guy at the bus stop on occasion wearing a full chainmail shirt under his 7-11 uniform. I'm not sure if he's a huge nerd, or just really worried about getting stabbed.

The answer to that question is, yes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/MuHFeRl.mp4

Note the 25 second mark. I’m sure it was very important for him to be there! And he’s wearing his vest so you know it’s safe.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

0/10 didn't even hit once

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bad Munki posted:

https://i.imgur.com/MuHFeRl.mp4

Note the 25 second mark. I’m sure it was very important for him to be there! And he’s wearing his vest so you know it’s safe.

Someone went "it'll buff out" but they took it seriously

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
I would not have guessed that railroad tracks are that flexible, like god drat thats some thick rear end iron being casually bent around.

here's a link to the video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRDVxS66sM8&t=439s

Some pretty cool machinery is used to straighten railway, makes one wonder what the tools were for this kind thing before.

(It's going to be tons of burly dudes with crowbars and shovels.)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I can't imagine that'd do wonders for the integrity of the track.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Zernach posted:

Some pretty cool machinery is used to straighten railway, makes one wonder what the tools were for this kind thing before.

(It's going to be tons of burly dudes with crowbars and shovels.)

I'm also interested this because of a dumb video game thing. In Fallout NV the New California Republic is rebuilding the railway after a nuclear war and 200 years of neglect. I always wondered that exactly would look like and how long it might take.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

PinheadSlim posted:

I'm also interested this because of a dumb video game thing. In Fallout NV the New California Republic is rebuilding the railway after a nuclear war and 200 years of neglect. I always wondered that exactly would look like and how long it might take.

American railways already have the neglect part down. Just wait for a nuclear war and about 40 years and you'll be able to see it with your own eyes.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

5er
Jun 1, 2000

पुलिस को बकवास करो

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The White Dragon posted:

so the general message im getting from this thread is, there's an untapped market for crocs with the structural integrity of steel toed boots

Steel toe sandals
are a thing. I worked at a place that sold safety footwear for a while last year, and the Keen rep was talking these up like crazy. Apparently they're big in Europe.

They're also ugly as sin.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

5er posted:

पुलिस को बकवास करो

सभी पुलिस वाले कमीने हैं

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Friendship with Police: ENDED

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Now ELECTROCUTION is my best friend

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Billups neon crossing signal

quote:

Back when personal automobiles were still relatively new, and railroad crossing warning devices had not yet been fully standardized, a Mississippi inventor by the name of Alonzo Billups, concerned with the number of accidents at a particular railroad crossing, took it upon himself to design a special signal to warn drivers of approaching train traffic.

As you can see, he didn’t gently caress around.

In addition to the standard double flashing red lights, the skull and crossbones logo, and the admonishment “STOP - DEATH - STOP” Billups also connected his crossing signal to an air raid siren.

The skull and crossbones and “STOP - DEATH - STOP” were both lighted with neon for extra night time viability.

The Billups neon crossing signal, as it became known, was intended as a prototype for future crossing signals of its kind, but war time neon shortages, coupled with continual maintenance problems meant that it was never reproduced.

One of the reported maintenance problems was that the air raid siren would go on and not go off until a signal maintainer crew could arrive to fix it.

The Billups crossing signal was built in mid 30s and was finally dismantled in 1970. Very few pictures exist of it online, and unfortunately none of it in action after dark, but someone created a computer simulation (headphone users beware):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGhFHKtDhns

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Holy poo poo what a :krad: warning

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

So rare they survive to maturity

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Fat Loser posted:

American railways already have the neglect part down. Just wait for a nuclear war and about 40 years and you'll be able to see it with your own eyes.

There's a big IF you are missing there...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
More truck fuckling

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
tag your gore

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Azhais posted:

tag your gore

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Steel toe sandals
are a thing. I worked at a place that sold safety footwear for a while last year, and the Keen rep was talking these up like crazy. Apparently they're big in Europe.

They're also ugly as sin.

I wear Keens for like 9 months of the year, and wish I could wear these on installations. Unfortunately I drill metal and a shaving falling in my shoe sounds like a bad time.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Nocheez posted:

I wear Keens for like 9 months of the year, and wish I could wear these on installations. Unfortunately I drill metal and a shaving falling in my shoe sounds like a bad time.

How do they hold up? I’ve had redwings for two years now, but they’re sweatboxes in the summer.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

More truck fuckling

More info: https://kmox.radio.com/articles/news/missouri-bridge-collapses-due-to-overweight-truck

This is the bridge the truck tried to cross:

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yeah but he was coming from the other side, he thought it was fine