Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah 4E moves away from ticky-tack encounters you can resolve in 5 minutes and do on the fly. Regardless of what us 4E people say, 4E is not a great game on the fly. What it does do is ask you the DM to have involved, at least fairly well-planned encounters that are balanced to be challenging and not "the table says 2d6 goblins appear." 4E is also terrible without significant terrain details; if you play it lazily on a flat plane it just doesn't work, that will actually break certain characters' builds.

If the DM accepts this responsibility it allows them to budget out an interesting "adventuring day" and not accidentally over-extend characters or give them hopeless encounters. The trade-off to all this planning is that in a four-hour session you're probably going to run at most two, maybe three fights, so you if you're running your own adventure you don't to meticulously plan too far ahead.

I think that's why I'm still all :allears: about 4E. I was lucky to fall in with a great GM and group of players. Interesting story, great combats/set pieces, we rolled with the system updates, and wonderful inclusion of our characters' histories in the arc. We finished around Level 20 due to people moving away but it was one hell of an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I have just discovered Wild Soul barbarians. I take back every complaint I had about melee classes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Also, Belt of Fire Giant Strength seems hilariously overpowered all the way to level 20.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mordiceius posted:

Also, Belt of Fire Giant Strength seems hilariously overpowered all the way to level 20.

Fixed stat items are dumb as hell and were a plague on Organized Play until they started phasing them out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Fixed stat items are dumb as hell and were a plague on Organized Play until they started phasing them out.

Yeah basically at character creation you could go "lol I'll just dump STR knowing I'll get my Belt of Absolute Unity" and when that "came online" you would pretty much trash any character who built something less min/maxed

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
At the start of my last session I absentmindedly searched Spotify for 'dungeon music' and couldn't understand why all the Dungeons and Dragons playlists had BDSM in their titles :downs:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I got to say, I'm really enjoying my new character who is an Aasimar who constantly makes accidental double entandres.

Fighter is generally pretty dull but I took the arcane archer arch type so that I can grab beguiling arrow and be a literal cherub.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Not to rehash edition wars, but why was there such a large kickback against 4e? From what I gather, combat was changed up significantly but that can't be the only reason?

4e brought back Dark Sun, so it can't be all bad

I talked about it some in a previous post too. The petty, grog shithead ":hurr: IT'S AN MMO YOU GUYS" saying is a lovely meme, but there are some things about it that can be examined through that scope. The way gear and stats and feats interacted coupled with the way higher level enemies scaled created a *huge* incentive to CharOp the poo poo out of your character to keep up with the scaling curve. Feats weren't fun or dynamic, there were a million billion of them, but because of the aggressive charop needed to be able to keep up into mid/endgame, there were like 3-4 mandatory feats, 2-3 niche feats specifically for your build, and everything else was the hottest garbage. Gear was similarly atomized - typically there was one or two sorts of magic weapon/armor/ect that your character would want, and when you upgraded, you upgraded to the +2/+3/ect version of that same item. If you didn't do the extensive research to figure out exactly how to best-in-slot all your equipment for your level (or if your DM was playing a low magic campaign and didn't know to account for everyone being behind in gearing) it became incredibly difficult to function. IMO I wasn't as big on 4e At-Will powers at a certain point on the melee characters because in a lot of cases it was just "Basically an auto attack but you can move 5 feet/mark target/gain temporary hp/make someone else attack for you because you are lazy". I also really lost the thread of 4e character building around the time PHB 3 came out, especially when so much of those books were dedicated to page after page of all the power descriptions. Doubly so with regards to class overlap - Is a Seeker really so appreciably different from a Ranger that they needed it's own class? 5e handled a lot of those things a lot more gracefully, basically rolling classes back together and handling the differentiation through Archetype selection.

The Genius of 5e was that they did a fantastic job flattening the scaling curve. All the flat +attack/hp/resist feats are out. Stats are capped at 20, and you get 3 attunable magic item slots so you have to actively make choices about what your gearing priorities are. There are plenty of gripes to be had in the transition, namely the loss of like fighter/Rogue encounter powers, the loss of Warlords as the best class in the game, ect. However, in terms of general gameplay flow - I still like 5e WAY WAY more than I ever did 4e. There's also a certain genius behind the UA system and releasing new archetypes and such for free on the internet, If I want to try something new, I just find the 3ish page PDF online and send it to the DM for approval.

Warlord aside - the only thing I really want to try again from 4e that doesn't have a close approximation in 5e is like an Avenger. You can kind of jimmy things with like a Celestial Pact Blade Warlock, but I think it would probably be better if there was a Divine equivalent of a Arcane Trickster.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Splicer posted:

Sorry dude, the ASIs and HP go ups are a class feature, and as such only apply from class levels not character levels. Like how the battle master says you get new dice at 7th level, it means 7th level in the class not level of your character. If your GM doesn't care then yeah go nuts go fighter.

I went back and double checked and although the language is kind of confusing, the general consensus is that you're right. UA stuff is apparently not balanced for multiclassing either

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

change my name posted:

I went back and double checked and although the language is kind of confusing, the general consensus is that you're right. UA stuff is apparently not balanced for multiclassing either
It might not have come across in text well but that "sorry dude" was sincere, I hit the same problem with my UA beast master when I was thinking of splashing Rogue. Do talk to your GM about it, they may not care. Fighter may be a hard sell because you'd eventually be getting extra ASIs but on the other hand you'd have the inherent downgrade of being a Fighter.

e: if you're playing a module with an obvious theme GFE is pretty nice though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 18, 2020

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

DisposableHero posted:

Had my very first session this Saturday. I'm doing a hybrid thing where I've created my own setting and inciting event that's going to segue in to Dragons of Icespire peak (with some names changed). My group has 5 folks only two of which have ever played D&D at all (and none in 5e). First session was reviewed pretty well so I'm encouraged going forward. For the following it's relevant that we're playing fully remote thanks to social distancing.

The biggest obstacle to fun was actually more to do with fighting with roll20. It's really nice to be able to click on a character sheet and have it execute the right rolls but map management feels really clunky. Does anyone have a preferred tutorial video? I've viewed the ones on roll20 itself but honestly found them not amazing. I feel like I want to watch something made by someone not affiliated with roll20 who might give tips on common Roll20 gotchas.

Also, my wife made an interesting observation. Since we're playing remotely there are times (particularly during improvised scenes) that the players are kinda left staring at nothing. She mentioned it might be nice to have some generic fantasy art I can put up. The inside of a shop, a field or castle, a bustling town and the like that I can slide in as just something to help set the mood. Obviously I can't just pre-prep for every random tangent my party goes on but I could pre-load some more obvious stuff.

yeah, thats what i do. remember to use music and ambience to your advantage as well, i tend to go overboard on this aspect but just taking like a 1 hour dungeon ambience thing helps quite a bit. generic fantasy art is nice as well, i honestly just run a search for creative commons stuff approximately 5 minutes before i think its relevant(second monitor ftw) on the off chance that any extended improv thing would happen. roll20 is actually just clunky though. you have to get used to it.

for battlemaps what you can do is just make a lot of battlemaps you think will come up, and leave blank spaces. dont write a giant sign saying "THE DRAGON DUNGEON TAVERN" or something because then if the party leaves that town the map is useless. instead, just narrate that the sign says this. or, if they leave the town, next time they have a barfight you have this convenient(albeit dusty) battlemap that you can whip out of seemingly nowhere. as long as they never got into the first barfight, its brand new to them

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Splicer posted:

It might not have come across in text well but that "sorry dude" was sincere, I hit the same problem with my UA beast master when I was thinking of splashing Rogue. Do talk to your GM about it, they may not care. Fighter may be a hard sell because you'd eventually be getting extra ASIs but on the other hand you'd have the inherent downgrade of being a Fighter.

e: if you're playing a module with an obvious theme GFE is pretty nice though.

No worries, it's fine. We're playing through a bunch of converted Eberron modules from 3.5 (Forgotten Forge and a few others up to 6) and we're mainly fighting cultists, warforged, and undead at this point, so I'll have to think carefully about that.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

While I won't mourn the loss of 4E's feat taxes,

DeathSandwich posted:

All the flat +attack/hp/resist feats are out.
isn't quite right. Dual Wielder, Resilient and Tough exist. Resilient is definitely worth a look for classes that don't get both Dex and Wis saves. IMO Tough isn't enough to justify not taking +2 Con instead, but I would consider Dual Wielder an ok pick. Heavy Armor Master might qualify too, even though it has the weird place of being too good at low level and not good enough when you get higher.

I'm not sure they designed for not having flat bonuses so much as they acted on the backlash over the particular flat bonuses the feat taxes were providing and then forgot about it when making the above feats.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

change my name posted:

No worries, it's fine. We're playing through a bunch of converted Eberron modules from 3.5 (Forgotten Forge and a few others up to 6) and we're mainly fighting cultists, warforged, and undead at this point, so I'll have to think carefully about that.
Warforged fall under Constructs, and you also get a free language with it. It's also completely in character logic that your guy would be getting better at dealing with them.

From a "getting new stuff" point of view, battlemaster wouldn't kick in until level 8 and level 9 is when a ranger gets to pick up woodland friends

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SilverMike posted:

While I won't mourn the loss of 4E's feat taxes,

isn't quite right. Dual Wielder, Resilient and Tough exist. Resilient is definitely worth a look for classes that don't get both Dex and Wis saves. IMO Tough isn't enough to justify not taking +2 Con instead, but I would consider Dual Wielder an ok pick. Heavy Armor Master might qualify too, even though it has the weird place of being too good at low level and not good enough when you get higher.

I'm not sure they designed for not having flat bonuses so much as they acted on the backlash over the particular flat bonuses the feat taxes were providing and then forgot about it when making the above feats.
Feats in 5e are one of the areas where they were clearly reacting to rather than learning from 4e. It's also a constant crushing reminder of the pillars letdown.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

pog boyfriend posted:

yeah, thats what i do. remember to use music and ambience to your advantage as well, i tend to go overboard on this aspect but just taking like a 1 hour dungeon ambience thing helps quite a bit. generic fantasy art is nice as well, i honestly just run a search for creative commons stuff approximately 5 minutes before i think its relevant(second monitor ftw) on the off chance that any extended improv thing would happen. roll20 is actually just clunky though. you have to get used to it.

for battlemaps what you can do is just make a lot of battlemaps you think will come up, and leave blank spaces. dont write a giant sign saying "THE DRAGON DUNGEON TAVERN" or something because then if the party leaves that town the map is useless. instead, just narrate that the sign says this. or, if they leave the town, next time they have a barfight you have this convenient(albeit dusty) battlemap that you can whip out of seemingly nowhere. as long as they never got into the first barfight, its brand new to them

Thanks. I'll give this a try next session. And I guess for roll20 that'll just be practice. I'll set up a player client on a spare machine and play with the GM tools so I can be more confident on what is visible or not.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

If you go to the settings tab once you launch a session, there's an option to join the session as a player.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah 4E moves away from ticky-tack encounters you can resolve in 5 minutes and do on the fly. Regardless of what us 4E people say, 4E is not a great game on the fly. What it does do is ask you the DM to have involved, at least fairly well-planned encounters that are balanced to be challenging and not "the table says 2d6 goblins appear." 4E is also terrible without significant terrain details; if you play it lazily on a flat plane it just doesn't work, that will actually break certain characters' builds.

If the DM accepts this responsibility it allows them to budget out an interesting "adventuring day" and not accidentally over-extend characters or give them hopeless encounters. The trade-off to all this planning is that in a four-hour session you're probably going to run at most two, maybe three fights, so you if you're running your own adventure you don't to meticulously plan too far ahead.

I'm also pretty sure all the 4E adventures are terrible, at least all the ones I've played. They're in my experience on rails, where the most choice you have is in what order you do the setpieces. I remember several descending into grinds as you described. The further starter adventures via Encounters were all very cookie cutter until late in the development cycle and I didn't care for Murder at Baldur's Gate, the big changeup, at all, because it moved back to the tried and true FR trope of a bunch of unkillable DMPCs and you got to decide who you served.

I'm going to disagree hard about 4e as a game on the fly - or more accurately I'm going to say that 4e is the best version of D&D to improvise with even if it's no Apocalypse World or Blades in the Dark. This is because an improvised fight using three monster types with different roles just plucked out of Monster Vault on the spur of the moment and the excellent 4e Challenge Rating system or even literally created on the fly using the MM3 on a business card math plus some cover and two pieces of interactive terrain like stairs to push the enemies down and a fireplace is going to be mechanically as much fun as that big epic setpiece you spent hours getting ready in any other edition - and that if that setpiece even works rather than fails (as they sometimes do). It normally won't have the emotional weight behind it of a good capstone - after all you haven't spent the last half dozen sessions trying to run that scumbag to the ground. But mechanically it will probably be better.

Also the 4e skill challenge rules as an improv tool need talking about - they are extremely badly explained and the math did not work at launch. On the other hand the basic principle of "Three strikes and you're out" and some numerical benchmarks for number of successes needed and the XP reward is one of the best systems for handling Off The Wall Improvised PC Plans I'm aware of in literally any RPG. Which is absolutely the hardest thing for a new GM to handle.

As for 4e adventures, the two people normally liked were The Slaying Stone and Madness at Gardmore Abbey, with some respect for Thunderspire Labrynth. Also ENWorld's Zeitgeist: the Gears of Revolution. But honestly if you wanted something pre-written it was quicker and easier to prep and run Pathfinder adventure paths in 4e than Pathfinder - and they tended to run better there as well.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A while ago I played a 4E game literally run out of a 3E dungeon - straight up "you open the door. there are two goblins in there. they roll initiative." - and it was great. Fights often took place in little rooms with no interesting terrain to speak of and were open in a round or two, but each one represented a miniature optimization challenge: how cleanly can you dispatch this gaggle of monsters? Can you do it without spending any dailies OR losing any hit points that healing surges will have to make up for? It was actually pretty exciting to roll the dice and see if my big encounter attack that left my barbarian open would hit, and then if the enemy counterstrike would miss, or whatever, because we were gambling with real stakes each and every fight - just relatively small stakes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
4e definitely favors big setpieces over smaller encounters though I wonder if you could do the latter as the former, in a way.

Like, instead of 6 rooms with two or three goblins in them, you've got a group of goblin bandits. They've set up a little fort inside the dungeon, you can approach it from different rooms, and if you're clever enough you can separate them and pick them off one at a time, but if they're all alerted they'll try to fight as a group, but with forced movement you can try and separate some or set up your own good defense point that they can't assault as much. Basically the whole group of goblins is an encounter, maybe scaled to be more challenging than average, but with good strategy the PCs can make it easy, or even talk their way through it or just demoralize the goblins enough to send them fleeing.

D&D tends to end up sort of abstracting things to one room = one encounter, which is understandable, that's the easiest way to do it, but "zooming out" can create some interesting situations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

For anyone that's run Avernus, is it appropriate to do a lore dump somewhere about the difference between devils and demons, the basics of the Blood War, etc?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Nehru the Damaja posted:

For anyone that's run Avernus, is it appropriate to do a lore dump somewhere about the difference between devils and demons, the basics of the Blood War, etc?

Probably will come up somewhere around the graveyard encounter so you could have the NPC there do it. Everyone is still gonna confuse the two constantly regardless

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Candlekeep is a good spot to let you loredump that kind of stuff; you could also just give your players a bit of homework and have them read the MM entries on them if you want to keep the pace going. I made sure the session would end not too long after they had that opportunity (I stopped right after meeting the wizard who ports them over so I could start Avernus proper in a new session) so that they could read it during downtime and not worry about applying that stuff to combat right away.

If your players really don't care and just wanna know how to kill them faster, just tell them they're both fiends and call it a day

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 18, 2020

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

here is the rawest advice anyone can ever give you: you can info dump anytime, any where, if the scene is funny

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
devils are lawful evil, demons are chaotic evil, and they loving hate each other

that’s all they need to know

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Maxwell Lord posted:

4e definitely favors big setpieces over smaller encounters though I wonder if you could do the latter as the former, in a way.

Like, instead of 6 rooms with two or three goblins in them, you've got a group of goblin bandits. They've set up a little fort inside the dungeon, you can approach it from different rooms, and if you're clever enough you can separate them and pick them off one at a time, but if they're all alerted they'll try to fight as a group, but with forced movement you can try and separate some or set up your own good defense point that they can't assault as much. Basically the whole group of goblins is an encounter, maybe scaled to be more challenging than average, but with good strategy the PCs can make it easy, or even talk their way through it or just demoralize the goblins enough to send them fleeing.

D&D tends to end up sort of abstracting things to one room = one encounter, which is understandable, that's the easiest way to do it, but "zooming out" can create some interesting situations.

I think a lot of people built encounters in 4E like this. I did. I ran some pretty classic dungeon crawling in 4E where the dungeons were keyed by area and each contained an encounter. Sometimes the party used the layout to short rest before completing an encounter and had an easy time of things. Other times the party would enter a new encounter area before short resting and find themselves in some trouble. It all balanced out overall and led to the sessions that had me comparing 4E to my fond memories of BECMI.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Maxwell Lord posted:

This reminds me of the Against the Giants mods from late 4e, which we played the LFR versions of. Mostly you just got given a HUGE map, and you could take it slowly and quietly and try to avoid proccing too much at once, or you could just Leroy Jenkins the whole thing and probably die - or sometimes, you could hole up in a little sniper nest and pepper half the map with arrows whilst they tried to find you, and so forth.

It's a pretty interesting way to play IME, and one I kind of miss.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

edit: nevermind

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 19, 2020

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
How exactly does the shadowfell and feywild work? I know they’re reflections of the material plane, like a shadowfell ruin where a castle would be in the material plane, but is that a constant thing? If a town settles in the material plane, will a shadow version start construction in the shadowfell or will there just be a flat plot of land there?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I always treat the Feywild as being weird as gently caress with some bits being straight up copies, other places run on concepts etc. Having the Fay be terrifying, weird and capricious with entire areas based on seasons that sort of thing.

Shadowfell has a bit less to draw on thematically in my opinion.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqicWlixyLw

This hasn't been discussed here, so posting it now.

-Early access starts on september 30th
-5 recruitable companions: Human warlock, A Cleric, a vampire (I think he's rogue), Githyanki warrior, human wizard
-Early access should be about 20 hours of content, up to level 4

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VaultAggie posted:

How exactly does the shadowfell and feywild work? I know they’re reflections of the material plane, like a shadowfell ruin where a castle would be in the material plane, but is that a constant thing? If a town settles in the material plane, will a shadow version start construction in the shadowfell or will there just be a flat plot of land there?
Whatever best suits the story you want to tell for that town. Which seems like a cop out answer but really it is the answer. Maybe a town springs up. Maybe it's something just town-adjacent, like some particularly weird wolves. Maybe the nature of the town affects the shadowfell version, so if the mayor is corrupted by greed there's an encampment of shades worshipping their corpulant god. Maybe the only reason the town exists at all is because a bunch of shadowfell denizens or people trapped in the shadowfell have gathered there which called out to the material plane to create a real town to match the reflection.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just realized that, RAW, a Goliath PC with 18 strength and a block and tackle can lift 4,320 pounds, or 2.15 tons.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
With the right setup so could you. The problem is finding pulleys and mounting points strong enough to handle the actual weight.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Splicer posted:

Whatever best suits the story you want to tell for that town. Which seems like a cop out answer but really it is the answer. Maybe a town springs up. Maybe it's something just town-adjacent, like some particularly weird wolves. Maybe the nature of the town affects the shadowfell version, so if the mayor is corrupted by greed there's an encampment of shades worshipping their corpulant god. Maybe the only reason the town exists at all is because a bunch of shadowfell denizens or people trapped in the shadowfell have gathered there which called out to the material plane to create a real town to match the reflection.

This is usually how I set things up, and then the feywild is just full of totally capricious and borderline manic fey + jovial animals that have gotten trapped there by accident and can now walk and talk and wear clothing.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The strength limits are weird, I assume because encumbrance is literally the worst thing ever . A 10 strength person (average) has no problem walking around all day with 150 extra pounds, but can only deadlift 300.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Used to play with a group of friends that lived near the client site, since I'm not working on that project anymore and COVID logitical concerns I've unfortunately have to drop out of my current party.

What's the best way to find a goon party and play remotely nowadays?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

xilni posted:

Used to play with a group of friends that lived near the client site, since I'm not working on that project anymore and COVID logitical concerns I've unfortunately have to drop out of my current party.

If you're a DM? Just advertise. They always come to you.

If you're a player? I have no idea. Try /r/lfg maybe.

---------

Quick question-- for a Rogue's "Uncanny Dodge" ability which means 1/2 damage on one attack against them as a reaction, does that include a spell attack or anything that induces a saving throw? My Rogue strikes me as the type of guy who will try to claim it for everything, and I kind-of only want it to be for physical attacks. I don't think he'd Rules Lawyer me on it, but knowing what RAI versus RAW is in this case would help a lot.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xilni posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=103
Also bug the tg chat thread for discord invites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

If you're a DM? Just advertise. They always come to you.

If you're a player? I have no idea. Try /r/lfg maybe.

---------

Quick question-- for a Rogue's "Uncanny Dodge" ability which means 1/2 damage on one attack against them as a reaction, does that include a spell attack or anything that induces a saving throw? My Rogue strikes me as the type of guy who will try to claim it for everything, and I kind-of only want it to be for physical attacks. I don't think he'd Rules Lawyer me on it, but knowing what RAI versus RAW is in this case would help a lot.

Spell attack yes, so long as they can see it. Saving throw no, because that's the perview of Evasion. I think RAW it would not be considered an Attack formally but someone with better knowledge of the actual words should confirm that.