Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Motronic posted:

While of course that's true, there's the mentioned room size thing as well as the height of the mantle/tv. It shouldn't be a default "always put a tv there", but it's a logical place that often works just fine without having to make some odd choices about what direction furniture faces.

Also, some people just don't watch all that much TV to find this problematic.
I've also read about how heat and soot can be a problem for the TV, but at least around here, most people use their fireplaces maybe once or twice a year, if that. I was really surprised when I learned about how fireplaces have the net effect of cooling the house down, instead of warming it up.

The previous homeowners installed a TV mount over the brick fireplace- at some point I'm going to have to remove it and find a way to fill it. Some point being the key word. Maybe I can just mount a picture frame on that thing can call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I have zero TVs in my house and three daughters, fight me.

FAKE EDIT: Actually, this seriously fucks up my father when he comes to visit since he is a boomer that has existed with TVs his whole life, and he actually finds my house bizarre and unsettling because the rooms are arranged in a way that does not involve the furniture all facing a TV. One of my rooms has a big clock on the wall and he always sits facing that clock because he, "needs something to look at if I'm sitting here." He's not the only person that has commented on apparently being unsettled by rooms with no TVs, and its actually kind of funny that apparently as Americans we are conditioned to center ourselves on the TV when we enter a room, and then work outward from there.

EDIT: I actually have no TVs not because of some crunchy protest against TVs but because we basically sold all our TVs when we moved to Europe (can't plug them in there), never watched TV in Switzerland because it was all in another language, and by the time we moved back 75% of the girls' life was without a TV and didn't see any reason to bring them back in the house at that point.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I have zero TVs in my house and three daughters, fight me.

FAKE EDIT: Actually, this seriously fucks up my father when he comes to visit since he is a boomer that has existed with TVs his whole life, and he actually finds my house bizarre and unsettling because the rooms are arranged in a way that does not involve the furniture all facing a TV. One of my rooms has a big clock on the wall and he always sits facing that clock because he, "needs something to look at if I'm sitting here." He's not the only person that has commented on apparently being unsettled by rooms with no TVs, and its actually kind of funny that apparently as Americans we are conditioned to center ourselves on the TV when we enter a room, and then work outward from there.

EDIT: I actually have no TVs not because of some crunchy protest against TVs but because we basically sold all our TVs when we moved to Europe (can't plug them in there), never watched TV in Switzerland because it was all in another language, and by the time we moved back 75% of the girls' life was without a TV and didn't see any reason to bring them back in the house at that point.

Yeah, ok, thanks.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Post the living room that's totally normal and for some reason everyone but you thinks is weird!!!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

He's not the only person that has commented on apparently being unsettled by rooms with no TVs, and its actually kind of funny that apparently as Americans we are conditioned to center ourselves on the TV when we enter a room, and then work outward from there.

It's not really weird to need a focal point of a room, particularly a common room that's used for entertaining. I don't think it's about the TV (or lack thereof).

I mean, replace TV with a fireplace and think about it. It's the focal point, people are going to gravitate towards it, and it'd be weird to arrange the couch/chairs facing away from it.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 17, 2020

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

DaveSauce posted:

It's not really weird to need a focal point of a room, particularly a common room that's used for entertaining. I don't think it's about the TV (or lack thereof).

I mean, replace TV with a fireplace and think about it. It's the focal point, people are going to gravitate towards it, and it'd be weird to arrange the couch/chairs facing away from it.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not saying a TV is the only thing a room focuses around, but it tends to be what most people lay their rooms around nowadays. Obviously older homes built before TV will have fireplaces or other structural designs that focus the eye, but I'd actually argue that a lot of newer homes do not. I can clearly picture one of the houses I grew up in, which was built in the 90's and if you were to remove the furniture and TVs from the rooms that had them, I'd actually be baffled by what was supposed to draw the eye. The windows maybe? There weren't fire places, or obvious differences in the walls that would draw the eye until you slap an entertainment system down. There was obviously longer walls where you were expected to put an entertainment system, and the rooms were obviously shaped as if you were supposed to be looking at those walls, but if there wasn't a TV there would be nothing remarkable about those walls.

As for people being weirded out by my living room, it's not like people are throwing shitfits (except my father, who has no idea what to do with himself without a TV), but I can't count the number of times someone has asked, "Where's your TV?" the first time they visit us. It's apparently very disconcerting for people to walk into living or family rooms and not immediately see a TV, enough that they'll make some kind of comment about it. I'm not trying to make a value judgement, it's just been my experience. TVs are cool, I'm not telling you to throw out your TVs.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Who the gently caress asks where your tv is when they visit your house? What the gently caress is that?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I feel like agents on either side aren't too keen on those. After all if you are reserving the right to increase your bid then everyone else gets to as well and then it's just an auction again.

Personally I'd just do a strong offer but only make it good for 24 hours or until end of day (say there's an equally good house you want to make an offer on and that's why you need a fast response on this one). That at least separates out motivated sellers from those who want to take their sweet time for the highest offer they can squeeze out.
I appreciate the insight. We ended up not adding on the escalation clause. My galaxy brain thinking was a seller is just going to get annoyed if he knows a buyer is willing to go up to a certain price only with a verified competing offer. That's probably dumb but whatever.

Anyways, we finally have an offer accepted. Straight 5% over ask, standard contingencies. :toot:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

The previous homeowners installed a TV mount over the brick fireplace

Oofff. Yeah. That's gonna be easier to cover than patch convincingly. (assuming you're talking about into and exposed brick chimney)

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Who the gently caress asks where your tv is when they visit your house? What the gently caress is that?

You know how you can tell someone doesn't have any tvs in their house? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The real pro move is to have a TV and then talk about how it gathers dust because you never ever ever watch it. :colbert:

quote:

I dunno... I get the impression that people judge me for facing all the chairs toward the giant statue of Ganesh sitting where the TV would otherwise be in my living room. They're like "but you're Catholic" and I'm like "religion is a spectrum, it's 2020 dude." And then I point the remote at Ganesh and pretend I'm watching something really hilarious.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

my seller has agreed to fix my inspection items and let my inspector reinspect. :toot:

and tvs gather dust even when you do watch them! :colbert:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My TV gathers dust even though I use it all the time because I don't move the drat TV in order to use it

Also because I'm lazy and don't dust

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Sundae posted:

The real pro move is to have a TV and then talk about how it gathers dust because you never ever ever watch it. :colbert:

I bought the most expensive 3D TV made and I only ever watch 3D movies and shows. IMO this is the peak of entertainment and I will not subject myself to inferior entertainment options.

Sundae posted:

I dunno... I get the impression that people judge me for facing all the chairs toward the giant statue of Ganesh sitting where the TV would otherwise be in my living room. They're like "but you're Catholic" and I'm like "religion is a spectrum, it's 2020 dude." And then I point the remote at Ganesh and pretend I'm watching something really hilarious.

My living room consists of a dozen folding chairs, all facing the center of the room. The walls are blank and there is no other furniture.

When you enter, you don't know if you're about to be part of an intervention, or if you're waiting for me to call, "next" at my new home-based dentistry business.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

I bought the most expensive 3D TV made and I only ever watch 3D movies and shows. IMO this is the peak of entertainment and I will not subject myself to inferior entertainment options.

My living room consists of a dozen folding chairs, all facing the center of the room. The walls are blank and there is no other furniture.

When you enter, you don't know if you're about to be part of an intervention, or if you're waiting for me to call, "next" at my new home-based dentistry business.

MLM Dentistry business where you make money by getting more amateur home dentists working under you selling home dental kits.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

all those people with no TVs are just watching shows on their tablets and phones and computers

no tv-having families were way more impressive back in like 1991 when monitors had 256 colors and didn't have cd-roms yet and your 14.4k modem sure as hell couldn't stream video anyway, not that the world wide web had videos on it; and if you didn't have a tv that meant you could not actually watch shows, ever.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Serious-post: I have no idea when I would ever watch TV anymore with an infant. The TV literally just gathers dust, not due to lack of interest, but that I lack the necessary 72 hours in a day required to entertain both myself and a baby. To make it housing relate, though: I despised the occasional houses I saw where the living room was built around a TV concept, particularly 70s/80s homes pre-flatscreen. They all had these deep, narrow pre-planned TV nooks for huge CRT televisions, which ended up being wasted space or an accent lamp at best. I also don't like being forced to design my living room layout around one specific plan, which modern houses seem to do too. Insets in walls to define where a wall-mounted big-screen should go, etc etc. No thanks - just give me the standard rectangular bones and I'll do the rest myself.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sundae posted:

Serious-post: I have no idea when I would ever watch TV anymore with an infant. The TV literally just gathers dust, not due to lack of interest, but that I lack the necessary 72 hours in a day required to entertain both myself and a baby.

Give it two years.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz

Vice President posted:

Do I need a new real estate agent? Maybe I still don't exactly understand what they are supposed to be doing since I'm looking to buy my first home, but I feel like they aren't very helpful. They came recommended by the mortgage broker I was working with, and all they really did after the "hi nice to meet you" chat was take my maximum price limits and the zip codes of where I initially started looking for and put them into some automated RMLS thing so I get emails as listings pop up. Except, I get maybe three emails a day from that, meanwhile I get dozens of Redfin emails a day covering the exact same areas. I email them the redfin listing with some questions and they usually just forward me the RMLS listing for the site which has exactly the same info as Redfin's listing except it has their company name at the top of the report. I'll ask some questions and then by the time we do all that the listing gets updated to pending and I start over the next night looking to see what else pops up on the Redfin search map.

I guess I thought I would give them a big list of things I am/am not interested in, and they would use that to start sending me things I should be looking at.

Yeah it really depends on how much hands on interaction you want. We were looking for a new house, and my wife and realtor checked out 20 places over two weeks and was able to have our realtor pair down what we were looking for to a good group of houses. I got to look, and we got lucky with a decent overoffer and best of all the realtor helped keep the loan officer and all the other parts in line.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Closing on my refi at noon. It's 8:50. The wiring instructions are wrong (incorrect routing number, special characters in the special instructions that Ally won't allow, etc.).

I don't think this is happening today

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

Serious-post: I have no idea when I would ever watch TV anymore with an infant.

You down with LBB? Yeah you know me.

The answer is (or was) at 1am, 3am, 7am with headphones. Or when they have a sleep regression and refuse to be put into their crib for the entire first season of Narcos.

Omne posted:

Closing on my refi at noon. It's 8:50. The wiring instructions are wrong (incorrect routing number, special characters in the special instructions that Ally won't allow, etc.).

Incorrect routing information is terrifying and you would be rightfully mad at them. You could have sent that money to literally anyone at that other bank.

Special characters whatever, those special instructions are more of an art than a science. (Doesn't that make you feel better? My last wire I needed to be routed from some main branch of a small regional bank in South Dakota to the local branch in bumfuck nowhere South Dakota. The process did not inspire confidence. I was mostly hoping the main branch recognized the account and knew what to do.)

Deviant posted:

my seller has agreed to fix my inspection items and let my inspector reinspect. :toot:

:ohdear: this might actually happen.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Omne posted:

I don't think this is happening today

Have you been socially engineered?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Have you been socially engineered?

This is a legit question. Wouldn't be the first time someone got tricked in to wiring money for a real estate transaction to a scammer.

Double and triple check everything. Wires can't be reversed.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Naw we figured it out. Their PDF-software was sending me the code to pull information rather than the information itself. We got it all cleared up, I called the lender to confirm the details and we're good to go. The notary came and we closed in 35 minutes.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Good to hear it worked out. When I closed on our refinance earlier this year I was thankful that we had a verification contact person well ahead of time in case we got fraudulent information. I was terrified about that happening.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Surely this will impact the housing market at some point...?

https://twitter.com/thebondfreak/status/1295360906398924802?s=21

We live in insane times.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

as soon as banks can start forclosing the housing market's going to fall through the floor.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Surely this will impact the housing market at some point...?

https://twitter.com/thebondfreak/status/1295360906398924802?s=21

We live in insane times.

maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that largely due to people just taking advantage of the forbearance offered in the CARES act?
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/coronavirus/mortgage-and-housing-assistance/cares-act-mortgage-forbearance-what-you-need-know/

so, a lot of those mortgages may be fully caught up once forbearance ends. but certainly not all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes. There's also some question as to whether those banks want to foreclose, given that a big wave of foreclosures has proven to crash housing prices and crashing housing prices would crush the value of the real estate portfolios those same banks are holding.
In 2008, banks had to foreclose because they were already facing a crisis and were looking at insolvency. Even then, it sometimes took them a year to go through with a given foreclosure. I think a big part of the industry is holding its breath and hoping that we rapidly shoot out of the covid-19 crisis without banks facing insolvency and being forced to liquidate their mortgage assets for whatever they can get for them. The actions of the government to prop up banks with massive injections of capital earlier this summer has probably helped, too. Neither party wants to allow a sudden mortgage crisis to develop right before the election.

But this is guesswork on my part, and hardly a professional analysis, and that chart is still really scary.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah if the vaccines end up being a bust and the economy continues to limp along through next summer things may fall apart very quickly and you're looking at an L shaped recovery

If vaccine production ramps up it's possible that the economy may begin to rebound as early as next spring

The informal analysis I did was that the restaurant/hospitality industry makes up about 13% of the population, but only contributes about 4% to the GDP, and it's that group which has been impacted the hardest. It's very possible that they will start to take down sattelite industries if this goes on past next summer

My guess is for a U shaped recovery if vaccine research continues to be successful, but if not will crater the housing market

It's kind of looking like covid is going to permanently murder about 50% of chain retail, which was already struggling, but either most of those people in corporate have transitioned to something else, or the wage slaves* in the shops we always too poor to own a house anyways so I don't think brick and mortar dying is going to have an outsized impact on housing

*speaking as a former retail wage slave

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Something like 30M people are unemployed but surely that won't have broader consequences outside their specific sectors of our consumer-based economy!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bad time to be gearing up for an early or spring 2021 purchase? Guess you'd need a crystal ball to answer my question but I'm certainly eyeing the numbers pretty hard.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

just got a telemarketer trying to buy my house for cash so SOMEONE is trying to buy in this market

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Inner Light posted:

Bad time to be gearing up for an early or spring 2021 purchase? Guess you'd need a crystal ball to answer my question but I'm certainly eyeing the numbers pretty hard.

I mean, why wait (assuming USA). Have you SEEN 30-year fixed mortgage rates? COVID isn't gonna tank the economy for 30 years. Or even three.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah don't conflate "what would make sense" with "what is actually happening"

Houses in my metro are going pending in under 48 hours from listing at ~5% premiums from a year ago. It's a seller's market today, but of course nobody knows what tomorrow will be like.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

pmchem posted:

I mean, why wait (assuming USA). Have you SEEN 30-year fixed mortgage rates? COVID isn't gonna tank the economy for 30 years. Or even three.

The answer is I need to save up more for a down payment. My thinking is I have enough for around 5% now but I'm not looking to lock myself into high monthly payments for 30 years. I'm anticipating having maybe 15% down depending on what I choose by early 2021. I don't currently own.

Tunicate posted:

just got a telemarketer trying to buy my house for cash so SOMEONE is trying to buy in this market

I assume those are all horrible scams of some kind

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Yeah those offers are always in assumption that your house is in need of a flip and are hoping you are behind on payments. I asked one of them for a quote on my house, which shocker they didn't know the address of so I read off a fake one I pulled from Zillow. $400k easy house on zillow they offered me like $300k for, I don''t remember the numbers but it was insultingly low.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Inner Light posted:

The answer is I need to save up more for a down payment. My thinking is I have enough for around 5% now but I'm not looking to lock myself into high monthly payments for 30 years. I'm anticipating having maybe 15% down depending on what I choose by early 2021. I don't currently own.

yeah, downpayment is a pain. plus you’ll need money for inevitable repairs. buy a smaller or cheaper house, if you can. good luck. been there.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I’m buying in this market! Is it dumb? Maybe. Maybe not. People been predicting doom for as long as I’ve been politically/news aware. Everyone is just guessing. I definitely agree with the logical arguments people are making and yet this market just keeps on chugging. Goes to show you it’s not well understood.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inner Light posted:

I assume those are all horrible scams of some kind

They gave me a valid url, so I'm gonna see if I can shake $500 out of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Something like 30M people are unemployed but surely that won't have broader consequences outside their specific sectors of our consumer-based economy!

We're basically at the unemployment rate (10%) we saw at the peak of the last recession in October of 2009, and that number is falling fast. August numbers aren't out yet, but if it drops another percent or two, it will be pretty clear we're headed in the right direction. For comparison, it was 3.6% in January of this year, so 10% isn't as world-ending as it sounds.

Meanwhile, the Baby Boomer wealth transfer (stock market bounced to a record high today) to Millennials and Gen X is still in full swing. Anyone betting on a massive, systemic housing crash is taking the wrong bet. That's not to say there won't be shifts: I can't see super HCOL areas in cities doing so well. WFH, oppressive taxes, and civil unrest has pushed a lot of that money into (once) cheaper areas.