Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Just actually killing someone seems like it'd be a better solution than trapping them in a time warp thingie where the can also interfere with your plans before you even thought of them. But what the gently caress do I know?

Edit: Best snipe ever for a comic book forum so I'm not adding any context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The "plan" was to have him build up energy as he travelled through time and then return to the present as a bomb.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Whats the best way to support DC?

Im in the UK and its either Amazon, or Comixology(Which is Amazon)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

*consults rest of internet*
It would seem that the Tetris method of "erase their accomplishments and pile up their failures" is the only recognized form of discourse for DC.

Seriously though, the traditional tier list of supporting comics publishers has been Pre-Order Floppies At A Shop > Order Trades > Digital. DC's supposedly shifting priorities to more digital-first series, though it appears to be in pursuit of customers who'll double or triple dip on physical copies of a series that they first read piecemeal from week to week (Injustice set a pretty high bar for this strategy).

If DC Universe ever expands access internationally, that would help writers and artists, as talent has confirmed comics royalties come out of the reading activity on there.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Yeah to clarify:

Bruce Wayne survived the Batman R.I.P. storyline despite the name, though he is presumed dead by many villains/the general public.

He is "killed" in Final Crisis #6, published January 2009. It's revealed at the end of Final Crisis #7 (published two weeks later) that he was sent into the distant past, not disintegrated by Darkseid.

Next comes BATTLE FOR THE COWL, a mini-series not unlike Final Crisis in that if you just read all of Grant Morrison's work from Batman to Final Crisis to Batman & Robin, Dick Grayson is unambiguously taking over as Batman. That didn't stop DC from printing a three issue mini-series written and drawn by Tony Daniel and multiple one-shots that suggest that perhaps the new Batman could be Jason Todd, or Man-Bat, or Azrael, or Bane, or etc.

All of those comics are politely ignored by Morrison and Dick Grayson is Batman when Batman & Robin #1 comes out in June 2009, and continues to be The Batman until early 2011, at which point Bruce Wayne returns to the present day. But Dick continues to be Batman alongside Bruce for most of Batman Incorporated.

So depending on how you count it, Bruce was 'dead' for about two weeks publication time, Dick "replaced" Bruce for a little under a year and a half, but Dickbats exists for like three or four years.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Didn't Darkseid say he was gonna hit Batman with "THE DEATH THAT IS LIFE" when he zapped him into the past, or was that retroactively added in the trade?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

No, the "Omega Sanction, The Death That is Life, The Life Trap" was always in the comics. But Final Crisis #6 cut from Batman getting zapped by the Omega Sanction (which Morrison introduced in Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle) and the next time we see that setting Superman is holding the skeleton/charred husk of Batman.

I guess this is one of those "hiding in plain sight" things, in that while the Omega Sanction looks like Darkseid's traditional "Omega Beams" that just destroy things, he does explicitly call out what he's doing to Batman as the "Omega SANCTION'. Though the only other time the sanction had been mentioned/used it didn't send Mister Miracle back in time, it just trapped him in a synthetic reality where he lived out his life over and over in terrible circumstances in an attempt to break his spirit. The time travel thing was new.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The time travel aspect was shown (as the "Omega Effect") in Jack Kirby's Forever People issues 6 and 7 (6 the Forever People and Sonny Sumo get hit with it and are thought dead, 7 reveals they got shunted through time), and in Final Crisis Sonny Sumo references that story, so it's not completely new.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Omega effect has a large number of powers. Teleporting, causing pain. creating copies of Darkseid.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

catlord posted:

The time travel aspect was shown (as the "Omega Effect") in Jack Kirby's Forever People issues 6 and 7 (6 the Forever People and Sonny Sumo get hit with it and are thought dead, 7 reveals they got shunted through time), and in Final Crisis Sonny Sumo references that story, so it's not completely new.
I forgot about that, thanks for the correction.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It takes a village to read Final Crisis.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Open Marriage Night posted:

It takes a village to read Final Crisis.

We have not even touched the Superman mini that makes the ending comprehensible!

radlum
May 13, 2013
Which TPB edition of Final Crisis should I get? There's a sale on Comixology and there are 2 options, the New Edition and the DC Essentials edition; they seem to have the same content, but the Essentials one is more expensive and has more pages. Does anyone know what else does the Essentials have?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It looks like they have the same comics, but the Essentials one has a bunch of extra content (art, script pages). Definitely not worth the extra fifteen bucks or whatever.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I'm always up for more Taylor!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Out of fear that DC will never print another trade again I ordered a copy of Batman: Creature of the Night hardcover, despite disliking hardcovers. If DC does actually print the softcover next year I might have to double dip.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Out of fear that DC will never print another trade again I ordered a copy of Batman: Creature of the Night hardcover, despite disliking hardcovers. If DC does actually print the softcover next year I might have to double dip.

I'll buy the HC from you if it happens.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I'll buy the HC from you if it happens.

Sweet. Deal.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm always up for more Taylor!

To answer that last question, his index and middle finger like a proper Brit.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I enjoyed the Death Metal Guidebook purely on the basis that it has a really nice variety of art styles. It really makes me crave for more DC books that don't just look like the Jim Lee house style.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wonder Woman is having another one of those weeks.

The main series under Mariko Tamaki right now is doing okay with the two issues so far. The art under Mikel Janin is fantastic and the setup is fine.
What's weird about it is that, well, Max Lord is a huge part of the story and um. Like, we know Max Lord has been back ever since the New 52. But the New 52 operated under the premise that we're in a whole new timeline and so, accordingly, the OMAC Project never happened. But we're well deep into Rebirth by now, bordering on 5G (if it ever comes). And the premise here is that...Max Lord is a bad evil liar guy who's been locked up for...some reason? And Diana really doesn't like him. But it's never explained why because like...did he kill Ted Kord in this new timeline? Did he infiltrate Checkmate? Did Diana fuckin snap dat necc? If she did, did he and Ted get resurrected? Like is everyone actually aware by now, Lois-style, that Infinite Crisis happened and then got reset? Is it like the Conner Kent thing where everyone just forgot him, except the people who didn't forget him, and now people remember even though the stuff they remember doesn't make sense to their present timeline? We don't know! It's literally never touched on and I don't think it will be! So we're left in this weird continuity limbo party where the only thing we're allowed to know is that Diana and Max Lord just have *~A Bad History!~* with each other, somehow, and now we get to, somehow, tell a meaningful new story about the two of them without actually ever knowing what happened before. It's just...I dunno, weird. I dunno how it comes across to a new reader who's not that aware of what went on with them in the past, but I just reread the OMAC Project the other day so this just feels weird.

Which is gonna make talking about Steve Orlando's WW Annual this week kinda weird as well. Because this is a story that absolutely reinforces WW continuity from Rebirth up until now, serving very much as a capstone and maybe even an endpoint for this era of the character.
If we have to summarize Rebirth comics WW as a coherent storyline, then it basically has three central arcs, three major writers* who crafted the most important elements of the overall followable story up until now: Rucka, who threw out New 52 like the rubbish it is and laid the groundwork for the truer and better aspects of WW to return; G Willow Wilson, who concluded all of Rucka's hanging threads into a cohesive (if tonally-clashing) narrative; and Orlando, whose ran actually began before Wilson's but caps off after she leaves.
And of the three, it might actually be Orlando who leaves the most lasting effects on this mythos. He basically takes advantage of what I can only assume was looser editorial restrictions during his tenure to hard-shove as much of silver and bronze age WW concepts back into play as he can, while also working roughly within the confines of what both Diana and the DCU has become, because the same weird continuity limbo party that makes it impossible to say just what the heck Diana and Max Lord actually did to each other in this timeline also makes it possible to bring back other things that shouldn't make sense anymore but are gonna be here anyway. So we basically have post-Crisis Wonder Woman back now, but if anything it's almost a little bit more streamlined and more ripe for exploration.
And it actually feels like a good place to end the story. I have hopes for Tamaki's run of course, but I admit there's also a part of me that's so relieved and also strangely proud that WW's status quo is finally, after all this time of it having been ruined, in a good place again and don't wanna run the risk of losing that to another bulldozing writer. Wanting to preserve your favored status quo in exquisite amber forever is a silly notion of course, what with the nature of comic books being what it is. But then again, with the state of DC Comics being what it is :smith:...maybe it's not all that silly.
And hey, then again maybe even better things will come as well. Maybe Tamaki, or whoever else, can make the WW mythos even better than ever. Maybe we'll finally get the epic storyline that ends with Diana in a polyamorous relationship with a dude and a woman, Moulton-Marston styles. Then the series can end. :buddy:

*Honorable mention has to go out to Tynion as well for writing some great Diana stuff in the really great Justice League Dark series, especially in regards to Circe, even if it doesn't impact the actual Rebirth mythos all that much.
*Okay fine, dishonorable mention also goes to Robinson for at least...sticking it out.

Oh and then in WW Dead Earth this week Diana gets to beat some mutant Amazons with Superman's spine so that was also a thing.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 20, 2020

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

BrianWilly posted:

stuff stuff stuff...
But it's never explained why because like...did he kill Ted Kord in this new timeline?

Well, no, because in Suicide Squad, Ted Kord is currently the villain because he's been picked as 'random-rear end businessman trying to take over task force x'

E: oh which somehow also doesn't conflict with "Was never actually on the justice league and just mentored Jaime for a while in his series" somehow because

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 20, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KaosMachina posted:

Well, no, because in Suicide Squad, Ted Kord is currently the villain because he's been picked as 'random-rear end businessman trying to take over task force x'

E: oh which somehow also doesn't conflict with "Was never actually on the justice league and just mentored Jaime for a while in his series" somehow because

It's not even been all that developed as to why Ted Kord of all people is doing this as opposed to some other character so who the hell knows

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's just funny because, for all purposes, right now Diana's mad at Max for...nothing?...and he's been in jail for...no reason.

Also he's got like, Dr. Psycho-tier mind-control now 'cuz he's basically a Wondy villain at this point so he's gotta be able to do something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BrianWilly posted:

It's just funny because, for all purposes, right now Diana's mad at Max for...nothing?...and he's been in jail for...no reason.

Also he's got like, Dr. Psycho-tier mind-control now 'cuz he's basically a Wondy villain at this point so he's gotta be able to do something.
But Dr Psycho is a Wondy villain. Why not just use him if you want someone with Mind Control powers.

KaosMachina posted:

Wait Kord was just hanging out with Booster Gold in a recent story. The hell.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MonsterEnvy posted:

But Dr Psycho is a Wondy villain. Why not just use him if you want someone with Mind Control powers.

He is not in the movie that is coming out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/_gabrielpicolo/status/1296869195829989384

I'm not the right age to be 'eee my ship is sailing' but Picolo's art is pretty dope.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
DCeased is still good and I'm glad Detective Chimp is getting some more face time.

Got some new back story on the Revolutionaries in Suicide Squad and the possibility that the Ted Kord behind this isn't really him shot up a lot and is the sort of thing they should've done when Batman got his fortunes stolen or impersonated.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I swear the comic character I've ever gotten remotely sniffly about is Krypto.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OscarDiggs posted:

Whats the best way to support DC?

Im in the UK and its either Amazon, or Comixology(Which is Amazon)

Similar but in a tiny arse mountain town in the Canadian Rockies. I'd also wouldn't mind supporting local shops but Calgary is a bit away and not easy to get to.

So question about comics. I haven't really followed DC since the New 52 came about. Was a giant fan of DC from my childhood starting with Young Justice (loved this series so much especially Bart, Conner and Tim), Teen Titans, Starman (my personal favourite), Robin, Superboy, Hitman, Batman, JSA and my dad's Vertigo titles like Sandman, Hellblazer and the Invisibles (though I didn't get most of the Invisibles at that age - still a big influence). I really enjoyed the whole legacy aspect of DC (this was when Hal, Barry and Oliver were dead and others carried their legacy) and the new 52 started undoing all of that and it just killed my interest. I did keep up with Batman as I really dug both Morrisons run on Bats as well as Damian Wayne. Dunno why I liked that bastard but I did, especially with Dick's run as Batman. They killed him off and I literally stopped reading the last of DC. So that's what I was into.

Someone gave me the Doomsday Clock two trades and I really enjoyed it. A week later we get the DC comics is cancelled news. I have always had terrible timing and me liking something is normally a harbinger of doom but... would me buying comics even help at this point? Reading this thread sounds like some things are dreck and some of the better ones were cancelled. You guys got any recommendations for a really lapsed fan now in his 30s? Like everyone, I like the Bats but prefer his family like Dick Grayson and Damian. Anything like the 90s Young Justice, Hitman or Starman? I've been rereading those and they still hold up. Love Starman as much now if not more. Miss my Dad. Geoff John's Flash and JSA were among ones I enjoyed but I've read online he is terrible now. I've also got a weird like of Ollie Queen but not really the Arrow era Ollie Queen. My dad's old GA's were also one of the staples of my childhood and I liked how he went from well meaning idealist to eco terrorist...even if it was less than expertly handled. I'm probably the only person to like the fall and death of Hal Jordan. Any Vertigo titles I should check out? Thanks in advance goons but I'd trust your opinions more than randos on the interwebs.
edit 2: Is Damian Wayne in anything good and is he still a prick? I'm hoping so. Watched a ton of DC Animated movies and really reminded me that I miss reading about him and Dick Grayson. Wish he had been Batman longer.

edit:

Dawgstar posted:

I swear the comic character I've ever gotten remotely sniffly about is Krypto.
Dude.... anything with Krypto on it turns me into a 5 year old. I watched the show Titans and I got ANGERED about any possible mistreatment of the puppers. Anything cute and I was weepy and aww. It's sad.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 25, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
DC reboots itself way too much so the character you might have read in the past will have a passing resemblance to the character you read now (unless is Superman, Batman or weirdly enough Green Lantern).
I would say keep buying comics as it will support your local comic shop who will keep ordering DC comics (the ones still in print) for you.

As for Vertigo, they no longer exist but if you want stuff that isn't the original classics check out Y: The Last Man, Scalped, 100 Bullets, Sheriff of Babylon.
If you want some Dick Grayson stuff check out Grayson which was a spy comic with...Dick Grayson.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

DogsInSpace! posted:

Similar but in a tiny arse mountain town in the Canadian Rockies. I'd also wouldn't mind supporting local shops but Calgary is a bit away and not easy to get to.

I do mail order through Big B Comics in Hamilton. Live in a community with no local comic shop and have been a customer of theirs for years. They’ll order anything you need and ship once monthly for free if your order reaches a certain threshold.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you dug Sandman and Hellblazer check out the DC Black Label (the sorta replacement for Vertigo) comics published under "The Dreaming" banner. It's stuff sorta set in that Universe. The new Hellblazer has been really good, but it's already been announced it's ending at issue 12 so you might just wait on the trades for that. The writer has said he was only initially guaranteed 12 issues and so i expect it will have som sort of proper ending.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Three Jokers was pretty lame. It also just goes to show how messy DC's continuity really is. It doesn't even feel connected to what's going on in Batman with Joker War.

radlum
May 13, 2013
It was really basic; except for a couple of moments with Jason, I felt I was reading a mediocre Joker story from a forgettable run. Art wasn’t bad though.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I do mail order through Big B Comics in Hamilton. Live in a community with no local comic shop and have been a customer of theirs for years. They’ll order anything you need and ship once monthly for free if your order reaches a certain threshold.
Thank you sir. I'd like to support cool people. As long as they don't mind shipping way out west then I am good.

Madkal posted:

DC reboots itself way too much so the character you might have read in the past will have a passing resemblance to the character you read now (unless is Superman, Batman or weirdly enough Green Lantern).
I would say keep buying comics as it will support your local comic shop who will keep ordering DC comics (the ones still in print) for you.

As for Vertigo, they no longer exist but if you want stuff that isn't the original classics check out Y: The Last Man, Scalped, 100 Bullets, Sheriff of Babylon.
If you want some Dick Grayson stuff check out Grayson which was a spy comic with...Dick Grayson.
Grayson? Spy comic with ol Dickie? If it's even a fourth like the Liberty Files then it will be my jam. Hopefully Damian stops by.

Oh man... bummer on Vertigo but, then again, its been like 15 years since I looked. I remember liking Y, Ex Machina and 100 Bullets but haven't read Scalped or Sheriff of Babylon. Thanks for the reco]

I heard you guys say Young Justice wasn't that great but how was the title with Damian Wayne and Superman's kid? That sounds like something kid me might have really been into.

Skwirl posted:

If you dug Sandman and Hellblazer check out the DC Black Label (the sorta replacement for Vertigo) comics published under "The Dreaming" banner. It's stuff sorta set in that Universe. The new Hellblazer has been really good, but it's already been announced it's ending at issue 12 so you might just wait on the trades for that. The writer has said he was only initially guaranteed 12 issues and so i expect it will have some sort of proper ending.

Definitely will check out Hellblazer even if its dying. Hellblazer was one of those I read probably younger than one should normally read. The Garth Ennis run was among those comics that even though I didn't fully understand it affected me somehow. That and picturing my Dad smoking cigarettes while grinning like a kid reading it. I remember thinking the art on Sandman's the Wake and the World's End Inn was just beautiful. Started me drawing and painting which I still keep up.

Thanks for the recommendations. Feel free to toss out more. Looking forward to reading physical comics again. There was a goon named Edge and Christian that had this Flex Mentallo quote that I always liked in regards to comics. Love these silly stories.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I enjoyed Three Jokers. Definitely prefer this to whatever is going on with Joker War and Punchline. Reads and looks like a prestige format graphic novel.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I was really blown away by Three Jokers. It isn't the best thing I have ever ready by any stretch, but it was very good. The art is fantastic, and honestly it being a three issue mini and not a sprawling miniseries with a bunch of tie ins really makes me like it more.

I have been so burnt out on the Joker for a while, but if every Batman story was this good I would feel a lot better about the future of the company.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

sorry if this is asked like five times a day, but I just got DC Universe (pretty much only to watch Batman: TAS and the family of shows that came from it) and realized it lets me read comics, too.

if I'm primarily interested in reading Batman and associated stories, where do I jump in? since different lines are published at the same time and are interconnected, I should be reading them in order, right? is there anywhere that lays out what to read and when in a sane way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

If you’re not buying monthly comics, just find a run or some stories that interest you, and jump in. The only thing that really changes in Batman comics is his costume, and who his sidekick is.

The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, and Long Halloween are always worth a read if you haven’t read them yet.

I don’t know how much comic content DCU has, but maybe just look around and see what catches your eye. We can always steer you in the right direction if you have more questions.