Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Shibawanko posted:

i hate when in movies, they need blood for something, so they just loving cut the palm of their hand across with a big knife instead of just lightly pricking their finger or extracting it properly with a needle in the elbow

the pain is part of the sacrifice? obviously more theatrical too but that’s my guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

the pain is part of the sacrifice? obviously more theatrical too but that’s my guess

Yeah it works fine if it's for some dark magic or it's Klingons doing it but there are times when it's just done for looks without any regard for how bad an idea it would actually be.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, there are a ton of important nerves there. It wouldn't just give you a cool looking scar, it would cause permanent nerve damage to a very important part of your body.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dip Viscous posted:

The ability of some people to stand in front of the exact drawer you need in the kitchen at all times is eerie. It's like a super specific, super worthless sixth sense. It has nothing to do with whether or not they're your wife or whatever, it's just a superpower some people have.

My roommate manages to stay out of the kitchen most of the time when I'm working in there, but every single time when I'm about to do something intensive, she has to get into the refrigerator. It wouldn't be so bad if she just went in there and did it, because by that time I've gotten everything out of the refrigerator, but she has to ask about it, and break my concentration.

Same thing with throwing something in the trash can. We have the repurposed clothes bin in the kitchen, but there's about 5 smaller waste bins around the apartment she can just throw the dryer lint in. I think really the only exception to this would be if it was chicken bones, because the cats will steal them out of anything but the big one in the kitchen, but if I'm cooking, she shouldn't have chicken bones yet.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when americans try to do poor man's impressions of the average german person. "schadenfreude lol" "gesellschaft XD"

germans are ridiculous but not because of why you think. only europeans get to make fun of them, except the british of course

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think people talking about schadenfreude (an English word that, like all English words, was stolen from another language) are trying to do impressions of German people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have never seen any american do that and I spend a lot of time around them

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shibawanko posted:

when americans try to do poor man's impressions of the average german person. "schadenfreude lol" "gesellschaft XD"

germans are ridiculous but not because of why you think. only europeans get to make fun of them, except the british of course

My roommate grew up in Germany, and said "bis morgen" to me one night as I was headed to bed, which to my uncultured ears sounded like "piss morgen," so now it's kind of an inside joke :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shibawanko posted:

Du hast to lighten up a bit

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Brawnfire posted:

Agreed, I don't mind if we're both working on the meal, but if my wife just has her rear end against the silverware drawer and then moves out of the way when I ask and now she's in front of the oven so I'm like oh I need to get back there and oh ok now you're in front of the fridge I was just about to grab some butter, really it's like standing in the middle of a solo ballet you don't want to be there

My wife does that all the time. She's always standing in front of something while I'm cooking.

We both worked as cooks for years together. She knows how to do the dance when you cook together. She just chooses to be in the way.

I just shoulder check her when I'm cooking. I don't have time to say excuse me because she just feels like standing in front of silverware drawer. I don't understand. We worked side by side for years without this being a problem. Now she just stands in weird places. She's not working on anything, she's just getting a spoon. You don't need to stand in front of the drawer for 10 minutes to get a spoon. Just get the stupid spoon.

I blame the Internet. The interesting thing is, at Thanksgiving, she does the kitchen dance with the best of them. We can work side by side without issue. But if she makes frozen chicken nuggets for the kids, a less than 1 minute process, she can somehow just constantly be in the way while I'm cooking. I stay out of her way when she cooks, why can't she stay out of mine?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My German impression:
Ver ist mein handy, Doktor Jones?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Shibawanko posted:

i hate when in movies, they need blood for something, so they just loving cut the palm of their hand across with a big knife instead of just lightly pricking their finger or extracting it properly with a needle in the elbow

Wish I could find it on YouTube, but It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia did a great take on this joke a few years ago. Mac tries to pledge his loyalty in a blood oath by cutting his hand and immediately starts yelling in pain, horrifying everyone else around him, wondering why he'd even do something like that. They then one-up it by saying it was probably the bar's lime knife, and that the citrus residue is burning him even more.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Our idiot neighbors, who have a rich history of bad outside decisions, have just brought in a crew to cut the two perfectly lovely, mature ornamental trees flanking their house right down to the ground. :( The birds loved the tree on our side; I'll miss it, too. I had a hard time taking down two absolutely dead/dangerous trees in our own backyard; to see these go down for no apparent reason is sad. I just do not get it.

If there's a bright side (:haw:), it's that a very small portion of our front yard is no longer dead-rear end shady.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
On the first ever day of my first ever proper job, like ten years ago, I accidentally took a dump in the ladies toilets, thinking it was the men's. I was just sat there in the cubicle, heard some ladies come in and talk, waited til they left and then got out of there asafp. No one saw me, so no harm done.

However, to this day, whenever I need to take a dump in a public toilet, I always get a flash of paranoia that I have repeated my mistake, even though I literally never have.

That is my pet peeve.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
People who somehow can’t tell you they’re gonna be late for something when they’re already late.

It’s 7:15, friend asked if we could online game at 7. I had to text him where he was and he was like “oh I have to do this thing and I’m running late, I’ll be home in 10 min.”

Okay, well why at 7 did you not text me and go “hey that thing I asked you to do with me? I’m gonna be late for it. Go do something else so you’re not sitting waiting for me.” The cherry on top is after he told me he would be back in 10 minutes he texts me again after 30 minutes to say he has to cancel the plans. Just cancel them the minute you knew it was gonna be a while, I killed an hour out of my day just waiting around. Why can’t people give notifications for being late anymore? Just give people a heads up, it’s common courtesy and they can do things so they’re not waiting for your rear end to show up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Perfect Element posted:

On the first ever day of my first ever proper job, like ten years ago, I accidentally took a dump in the ladies toilets, thinking it was the men's. I was just sat there in the cubicle, heard some ladies come in and talk, waited til they left and then got out of there asafp. No one saw me, so no harm done.

However, to this day, whenever I need to take a dump in a public toilet, I always get a flash of paranoia that I have repeated my mistake, even though I literally never have.

That is my pet peeve.

It's not really a pet peeve of mine, but I have a story.

A few years back I was road tripping on the way home, and had to take a huge dump. I barely made it to the rest stop, and rushed into the nearest poorly marked bathroom. It was completely empty, so I ran into a stall and went to town.

I'm hearing people shuffle in and out, but it's otherwise fairly quiet. So when I'm done I walk out of the stall, and I see 3 women washing their hands, they just sort of look at me. I sorta look at them, eschew washing my hands, and zip on back out to my car and leave as fast as I can.

Now you're probably asking why I didn't find it suspicious that there were no urinals. The bathroom was laid out with two entrances, and a partition down the middle with the sinks and mirrors, and logically I assumed the urinals were in the other half.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
When the ice cubes won't pop out of the fuckin tray.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

It's not really a pet peeve of mine, but I have a story.

A few years back I was road tripping on the way home, and had to take a huge dump. I barely made it to the rest stop, and rushed into the nearest poorly marked bathroom. It was completely empty, so I ran into a stall and went to town.

I'm hearing people shuffle in and out, but it's otherwise fairly quiet. So when I'm done I walk out of the stall, and I see 3 women washing their hands, they just sort of look at me. I sorta look at them, eschew washing my hands, and zip on back out to my car and leave as fast as I can.

Now you're probably asking why I didn't find it suspicious that there were no urinals. The bathroom was laid out with two entrances, and a partition down the middle with the sinks and mirrors, and logically I assumed the urinals were in the other half.

You could’ve at least washed your hands in the men’s room!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really do not like leaving important things in other people's hands. My doctor apparently left the clinic I visit (which I got no warning about) so now it's up to me to find a new doctor. Okay fine, but in the meantime I need my medicine that I take to not die in agony. I call the refill line someone has to manually check, and after the weekend the order still has not been sent to the pharmacy. I call the main desk and ask what's going on, and am told that I can't get my refills until I have a new doctor. So I set up an appointment with one of the other doctors and the woman at the desk says she'll get the medicine sent over to the pharmacy same-day. Unsurprisingly, it was not sent. This is not the first time this has happened and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Just

do it.

It's not hard. Just do it. It takes 30 seconds. When you hang up the phone, the next thing you should do is the thing you said you were going to do. There should be no possibility of it slipping your mind because it's gonna be the first thing you do when the phone leaves your hands. If you tell someone you're gonna do something and voluntarily put that burden on your own shoulders, it's up to you to follow through with it, but so many United States Healthcare Professionals just don't seem to understand or care about that.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Aug 19, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Henchman of Santa posted:

You could’ve at least washed your hands in the men’s room!

Yeah, I really have no excuse for that, other than it was not a situation I had prepared for.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The Chem/Bio building at my college had two floors with an identical layout in every respect except that the male/female bathrooms were switched. Guess what every bio/chem major did at some point or another?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cried?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

CJacobs posted:

I really do not like leaving important things in other people's hands. My doctor apparently left the clinic I visit (which I got no warning about) so now it's up to me to find a new doctor. Okay fine, but in the meantime I need my medicine that I take to not die in agony. I call the refill line someone has to manually check, and after the weekend the order still has not been sent to the pharmacy. I call the main desk and ask what's going on, and am told that I can't get my refills until I have a new doctor. So I set up an appointment with one of the other doctors and the woman at the desk says she'll get the medicine sent over to the pharmacy same-day. Unsurprisingly, it was not sent. This is not the first time this has happened and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Just

do it.

It's not hard. Just do it. It takes 30 seconds. When you hang up the phone, the next thing you should do is the thing you said you were going to do. There should be no possibility of it slipping your mind because it's gonna be the first thing you do when the phone leaves your hands. If you tell someone you're gonna do something and voluntarily put that burden on your own shoulders, it's up to you to follow through with it, but so many United States Healthcare Professionals just don't seem to understand or care about that.

Oh my god this makes me furious. I was almost killed by seizures because of this exact poo poo. My doctor retired and it was like pulling teeth to continue getting my prescription from a new doctor. You call and call and nothing ever gets sent or communicated between doctors/pharmacies. What do they even do? Sit around with their thumbs up their asses while people are begging for medical aid? Once, I was calling again because I was really about to run out of pills, and a nurse had the gall to tell me, "Well, that's why you should try to get more medication BEFORE you're about to run out..." despite the fact that I had been bugging them for weeks. And then, "Actually, we can't transfer your prescription until you come see your new doctor in person." Of course, I couldn't get in until after I would be out of pills. I wanted to flip out but I just cried at her instead. Like, WHY didn't anyone tell me that at the start? :bang:

And don't even get me started on health insurance companies. Any time my money or health is in strangers' hands, the powerlessness will easily send me into a rage.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's heartbreaking to me that practically everyone I know with repeat or chronic illness has more stress, unhappiness, and fear around insurance and the medical establishment than the illness itself. Like they could easily live day-to-day managing themselves if they weren't getting jerked around, bilked, lied to, and ignored as a matter of course. (I'm American if that isn't abundantly obvious)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Seeing someone play a video game and use the same save slot every time. You're just trusting that you're never going to want to revert to an earlier save? That you're never going to accidentally overwrite it? That, however unlikely it may be, the save won't get corrupted? I'm getting stressed watching you do this; how is it not bothering you?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Seeing someone play a video game and use the same save slot every time. You're just trusting that you're never going to want to revert to an earlier save? That you're never going to accidentally overwrite it? That, however unlikely it may be, the save won't get corrupted? I'm getting stressed watching you do this; how is it not bothering you?

If you lose that save it's fine. You think you deserved to get to that point in the game? gently caress you, it's someone else's turn now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

Some people enjoy Iron Man mode

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brawnfire posted:

It's heartbreaking to me that practically everyone I know with repeat or chronic illness has more stress, unhappiness, and fear around insurance and the medical establishment than the illness itself. Like they could easily live day-to-day managing themselves if they weren't getting jerked around, bilked, lied to, and ignored as a matter of course. (I'm American if that isn't abundantly obvious)

Honestly this is unfortunately spot on. I rely on my medicine to function whenever I have a pain flare up, and it really sucks that my ability to live my life is completely out of my hands for 3 or 4 days every month. Will my medicine be refilled by the time I run out, even though I called a week in advance? Will my insurance randomly deny coverage and delay it by a week again? Will the staff actually check the refill line like they're supposed to?? So many aspects of it are totally in the hands of other, equally fallible humans. Once it reaches the insurance level there's not even a number to call, nobody to talk to. Only my doctor or the pharmacy can contact my insurance like a proxy.

edit: Just wait till you hear the number of times my insurance has required me to schedule a visit to the doctor just to make sure I still need my medicine for my lifelong condition that doesn't just magically go away. I've had so many endoscopies and colonoscopies just because my insurance required an "up to date" one before they would shell out for any treatment.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Aug 21, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Oh my god this makes me furious. I was almost killed by seizures because of this exact poo poo. My doctor retired and it was like pulling teeth to continue getting my prescription from a new doctor. You call and call and nothing ever gets sent or communicated between doctors/pharmacies. What do they even do? Sit around with their thumbs up their asses while people are begging for medical aid? Once, I was calling again because I was really about to run out of pills, and a nurse had the gall to tell me, "Well, that's why you should try to get more medication BEFORE you're about to run out..." despite the fact that I had been bugging them for weeks. And then, "Actually, we can't transfer your prescription until you come see your new doctor in person." Of course, I couldn't get in until after I would be out of pills. I wanted to flip out but I just cried at her instead. Like, WHY didn't anyone tell me that at the start? :bang:

And don't even get me started on health insurance companies. Any time my money or health is in strangers' hands, the powerlessness will easily send me into a rage.

My friend I feel your pain, I really do. It is truly miserable business sometimes.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

The behaviour you're describing is how I and everyone I know uses save slots? The other save slots are for the people you're sharing the game with

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

The behaviour you're describing is how I and everyone I know uses save slots? The other save slots are for the people you're sharing the game with

Also in most modern games there are a bunch of autosave slots you can go back to if you get stuck somewhere.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

I think they mean in games where you can save to multiple/arbitrary amounts of save files.
Not one of those games where you have a small handful of save slots, and each one auto-saves/saves over itself. Where they're intended to be different users/profiles.

Peeve:
I go through a lot of effort to turn off the utter loving avalanche of ads that is modern social media, and it doesn't matter because some people I follow on for example twitter just constantly retweet ads for things they're interested in.
Why the gently caress do you feel the need to retweet a 'yay this drawing program has now been released on mobile!`/ got an update' video for the nth time? Same for someone else who seems to retweet almost every social media post the Warframe people make.

I really wish I could just filter some accounts to only show their original/self-uploaded media.
The same goes for people you follow that just loving puke out tweets at a furious pace, drowning out so much else.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
"the Rona"

Just say "COVID". It's one syllable shorter and doesn't make you sound like a tool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SubNat posted:

I think they mean in games where you can save to multiple/arbitrary amounts of save files.
Not one of those games where you have a small handful of save slots, and each one auto-saves/saves over itself. Where they're intended to be different users/profiles.

Peeve:
I go through a lot of effort to turn off the utter loving avalanche of ads that is modern social media, and it doesn't matter because some people I follow on for example twitter just constantly retweet ads for things they're interested in.
Why the gently caress do you feel the need to retweet a 'yay this drawing program has now been released on mobile!`/ got an update' video for the nth time? Same for someone else who seems to retweet almost every social media post the Warframe people make.

I really wish I could just filter some accounts to only show their original/self-uploaded media.
The same goes for people you follow that just loving puke out tweets at a furious pace, drowning out so much else.

You can do that on twitter at least. Go to their profile and the drop down next to their avatar will have an option to mute retweets from them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SubNat posted:

Yeah, not talking about games that only have autosaves. I don't like it when games only have autosaves, but that's not something the player can change. I mean where you manually save and you can create multiple save files for the one playthrough. If you're sharing a computer/console then you might not be able to use all of them (although I also don't like that games put any limit on that other than actual space available on the storage medium), but if there's ten slots and you're sharing with two other people then you can still use three of them. And you should. Because realising half a second too late that you saved over the wrong slot and lost all your progress or hitting quicksave instead of quickload seconds before you die and having no manual save to go back to is the worst thing that can ever happen in a video game. So still pretty low stakes, but so easily avoided.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rabbit Hill posted:

"the Rona"

Just say "COVID". It's one syllable shorter and doesn't make you sound like a tool.

Ok grandpa

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CJacobs posted:

Honestly this is unfortunately spot on. I rely on my medicine to function whenever I have a pain flare up, and it really sucks that my ability to live my life is completely out of my hands for 3 or 4 days every month. Will my medicine be refilled by the time I run out, even though I called a week in advance? Will my insurance randomly deny coverage and delay it by a week again? Will the staff actually check the refill line like they're supposed to?? So many aspects of it are totally in the hands of other, equally fallible humans. Once it reaches the insurance level there's not even a number to call, nobody to talk to. Only my doctor or the pharmacy can contact my insurance like a proxy.

edit: Just wait till you hear the number of times my insurance has required me to schedule a visit to the doctor just to make sure I still need my medicine for my lifelong condition that doesn't just magically go away. I've had so many endoscopies and colonoscopies just because my insurance required an "up to date" one before they would shell out for any treatment.

Ugh, I can understand your pain, my roommate had a severe asthma attack in May, because her doctor decided to give her an apparently more appropriate inhaler. Unfortunately the insurance didn't cover it, and it was the weekend, so she couldn't get her old inhaler re-prescribed.

One collapse, ambulance ride, and four nights in the hospital, the insurance made an exception.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Well, you should be getting a colonoscopy every few years with Crohn's anyway since there's an elevated cancer risk associated with it so at least it's not for nothing

Colonoscopies do suck though

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

CJacobs posted:

You can do that on twitter at least. Go to their profile and the drop down next to their avatar will have an option to mute retweets from them.

I mean the issue is more that not all their retweets are bad, only a significant chunk of them.
But thanks! I'll probably do that to save some of my sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iron Crowned posted:

One collapse, ambulance ride, and four nights in the hospital, the insurance made an exception.

"Hmm, I guess you aren't a thieving malingerer, probably." *toggles "allow pittance" checkbox*