Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Last time I came to this thread y’all didn’t lead me down a wrong road, so I come again asking for recommendations for the mood I am in:

Something sci-fi that’s more story-based/adventure-based. Caveat: I don’t like adventure game logic so it can’t have much of that. I don’t want to play the game with a guide open because the puzzles are so obtuse. A little bit of combat is fine but would prefer it isn’t the main aspect of the game.

Also my computer runs like poo poo and I’m poor and can’t get a new one, so no games that are technically demanding.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Gunpoint
Heaven's Vault
The Swapper

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Last time I came to this thread y’all didn’t lead me down a wrong road, so I come again asking for recommendations for the mood I am in:

Something sci-fi that’s more story-based/adventure-based. Caveat: I don’t like adventure game logic so it can’t have much of that. I don’t want to play the game with a guide open because the puzzles are so obtuse. A little bit of combat is fine but would prefer it isn’t the main aspect of the game.

Also my computer runs like poo poo and I’m poor and can’t get a new one, so no games that are technically demanding.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Look into Heaven's Vault. I haven't played it but I read some reviews when it came out last year and it might be up your alley.

e: ^^^

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This thread hasn't steared me wrong so far so here goes.

I'm looking for an arcade style flight sim ala Ace Combat that i can play on switch. So far I've played the Air Conflict games and while they're fine they don't quite scratch the same itch (the planes in those games are much slower and don't allow for the Macross style missile shenanigans seen in ace combat).

If anyone has any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nyeehg posted:

This thread hasn't steared me wrong so far so here goes.

I'm looking for an arcade style flight sim ala Ace Combat that i can play on switch. So far I've played the Air Conflict games and while they're fine they don't quite scratch the same itch (the planes in those games are much slower and don't allow for the Macross style missile shenanigans seen in ace combat).

If anyone has any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sky Rogue is probably your best shot. It's a roguelike Ace Combat style game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Sky Rogue is probably your best shot. It's a roguelike Ace Combat style game.

Seconding this recommendation. Sky Rogue is good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Everspace is another arcadey one, space shooter with the roguelike structure. Pretty fun, and looks good too.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I really like Sky Rogue but keep in mind the flight model is much jankier than Ace Combat, and doesn't ever really convey the same sense of speed and agility.

We've long passed the date Project Wingman was supposed to come out, but the 2 man dev team is apparently still working on it. Try the demo, it's got a powerful AC5 energy

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Same controls as Gothic 2? I really liked that game, although I hosed around with the controls until it worked (sort of) with mouse and keyboard. Don't think I ever tried playing it keyboard only :v:

I'm pretty sure the controls are worse and less customizable, and a lot of stuff that should be simple like opening a chest requires multiple keys be held down. It's weird, but once I got over the initial hump I found it super easy to get into a flow state of exploring, finding quests and leveling up despite the odd controls, I think I even started to like them a little bit...?

There are mods and tweaks that aim to de-clunk the controls and make it closer to Gothic 2 but I never tried them.

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 18, 2020

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Thanks in advance!!!!

Hwurmp posted:

Gunpoint
Heaven's Vault
The Swapper

Gunpoint is really, really good. Fun puzzles, an interesting story, and because of the stealth aspect, the difficulty is really up to you and how strictly you want to ghost levels. My only complaint is that it's too short, I think most people beat it in like 4 hours.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 18, 2020

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm looking for suggestions for some sort of modern point and click adventure game for PC on Steam, Humble or GOG. I guess I'd get Epic if I had to.

For background, I bought Kathy Rain a few days ago without knowing anything about it. It was pretty decent, especially for three bux. The puzzles were almost always reasonable, and it was well produced for an indie title. I also recently played Thimbleweed Park, which was quite a bit more moon-logic based, but the comedy buoyed it a bit. This search for these games essentially started in the before times when I played the first three Phoenix Wright games together with my girlfriend, and those games were great. The issue is that: 1: no other PW games are on Steam, and 2 when I try to look for 'point and click' on Steam, I get huge swathes of stuff that doesn't match the mold I'm looking for, like those iPad hidden object games for babby.

I'm looking for something that has the 'shape' of Monkey Island 1-4 / Teen Agent / Gabriel Knight 3 / Ripley's Believe It or Not: The Riddle of Master Lu, etc. Go around, talk to people, rub items on them in logical ways, etc. The theme and setting (sci-fi, fantasy, modern, comedy, drama) don't really matter unless the game is extremely heavy or incredibly graphically violent, in which case I am less interested. (Like, I think I heard The Cat Lady was good but I am looking for something lighter than vantablack.) By 'modern' I just mean 'released some point after The Daedalus Encounter' so even if it's 5-10 years old, I probably have never heard of it so lay it on me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for some sort of modern point and click adventure game for PC on Steam, Humble or GOG. I guess I'd get Epic if I had to.

For background, I bought Kathy Rain a few days ago without knowing anything about it. It was pretty decent, especially for three bux. The puzzles were almost always reasonable, and it was well produced for an indie title. I also recently played Thimbleweed Park, which was quite a bit more moon-logic based, but the comedy buoyed it a bit. This search for these games essentially started in the before times when I played the first three Phoenix Wright games together with my girlfriend, and those games were great. The issue is that: 1: no other PW games are on Steam, and 2 when I try to look for 'point and click' on Steam, I get huge swathes of stuff that doesn't match the mold I'm looking for, like those iPad hidden object games for babby.

I'm looking for something that has the 'shape' of Monkey Island 1-4 / Teen Agent / Gabriel Knight 3 / Ripley's Believe It or Not: The Riddle of Master Lu, etc. Go around, talk to people, rub items on them in logical ways, etc. The theme and setting (sci-fi, fantasy, modern, comedy, drama) don't really matter unless the game is extremely heavy or incredibly graphically violent, in which case I am less interested. (Like, I think I heard The Cat Lady was good but I am looking for something lighter than vantablack.) By 'modern' I just mean 'released some point after The Daedalus Encounter' so even if it's 5-10 years old, I probably have never heard of it so lay it on me.

Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Sam & Max if you never played those
Unavowed
Dropsy
Memoria
Machinarium
Whispers of a Machine
Later Alligator
The Fall
Disco Elysium

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 18, 2020

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

The Fall

The only game I could find by that name was this one. Is this the one you mean?

Added the others to my wishlist. (I am waiting for DE to go on sale, but I've heard it is loving terrific so maybe I'll just bite the bullet.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes, that's the one. The Fall and its sequel have keyboard controls and a few half-assed combat sections, but are otherwise very good adventure games.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 18, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Magnetic North posted:

I know you said "modern games" but have you played Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Indiana Jones and the secret of Atlantis, The Dig, Sam and Max hit the Road or Beneath a Steel Sky? They are true classics that you have to try at least once and haven't aged much. Otherwise if you played those already, have you tried the Telltale games? (Walking Dead, Tales from the Borderland, Fable, Batman, Sam & Max, etc...). More modern games: Technobabylon, Primordia, Zero Escape series, Machinarium

e: and of course buy Disco Elysium

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think you mean The Wolf Among Us. The Fable games are something totally different, and...harder to recommend. :v:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Hwurmp posted:

I think you mean The Wolf Among Us. The Fable games are something totally different, and...harder to recommend. :v:

Ahah yes :sweatdrop: Sorry. Brain fart

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

Chzo Mythos games. Not "modern", but they are basically horror Monkey Island and real good

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Magnetic North posted:

This steam guide goes into detail on how to continue the Phoenix Wright saga legally on PC.

I'd also like to suggest Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human. The first two are good, but kinda janky in a way that some may find unappealing, but Detroit: Become Human is just a flat out good game that I would recommend to anyone.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks for all the responses.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I know you said "modern games" but have you played Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Indiana Jones and the secret of Atlantis, The Dig, Sam and Max hit the Road or Beneath a Steel Sky? They are true classics that you have to try at least once and haven't aged much. Otherwise if you played those already, have you tried the Telltale games? (Walking Dead, Tales from the Borderland, Fable, Batman, Sam & Max, etc...). More modern games: Technobabylon, Primordia, Zero Escape series, Machinarium

We tried to play Maniac Mansion before DotT, which was a huge mistake because that game is obtuse as gently caress. That combined with being pretty disappointed by the back nine of Thimbleweed Park really sapped our desire to go back that far.

As for the others, basically never played them. (Like, I played The Dig for like 20 minutes when I was in 9th grade?) I loved Grim Fandango back in the day "Look out pigeons! It's Robert Frost!", and still really liked it playing the remaster, though that game has its flaws. Are Full Throttle / the original Sam and Max comparable to GF?

As for Telltale games, I played Season 1 of the 'recent' Sam and Max (the one with the cool soundtrack and where episode 4 is Abe Lincoln Must Die!) about ten years ago, and liked it okay. I saw the Tales of Monkey Island go by in my searching, but considering how it went down with Telltale, I was trying to decide if I felt it is morally okay to purchase them. (I admit, I don't think an answer exists for that question, but it's part of why I didn't just buy it on spec.) Beyond that, I don't really care about any of the licenses they had.

FWIW, I always thought the Walking Dead looked like complete poo poo. (Key word there: looked. I never played it, so I'm probably wrong.) Like, the quick-time event stuff to kick a zombie in the face does absolutely nothing for me, especially now that I'm trying to find something to play at whatever pace I want. I think that was published when people were big into offering moral choices in games and all that, but honestly, I just want a nice story that will engage my logical mind. Do the other games such as The Wolf Among Us have that QTE garbage in it or are they more traditional?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This steam guide goes into detail on how to continue the Phoenix Wright saga legally on PC.

I'd also like to suggest Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human. The first two are good, but kinda janky in a way that some may find unappealing, but Detroit: Become Human is just a flat out good game that I would recommend to anyone.

I guess I should have added that part of the reason I'm looking is because modern actions games have started to make me motion sick as I get older, so I don't think I could play the David Cage games. (Like, I managed to play a little of the rebooted Tomb Raider but could not do the new Hitman, much to my dismay.) As I typed all this up, I also remembered playing the Sherlock Holmes game Crime and Punishments on Xbox forever ago. I heard the sequel sucked, but something in that vein might be a good choice. That specific game is in first person so maybe I couldn't play it for the same reason, but it was a decent puzzler and it was interesting that it would let you make the incorrect conclusion.

I appreciate the inclusion of the Phoenix Wright info, but I also heard that the rest of the series isn't as good as the first three anyway? Are they worth it? I see people streaming some later Game Boy ones sometimes, but can never grok what is happening.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

e: and of course buy Disco Elysium

Yeah... maybe I should just spring for it and and not be 10 years behind for once.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Whenever someone recommends The Fall, I can only think of The Fall:Last Days of Gaia from 2004.
Kickass old Fallouty game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfVbFVpT3CY

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Magnetic North posted:

Thanks for all the responses.

We tried to play Maniac Mansion before DotT, which was a huge mistake because that game is obtuse as gently caress. That combined with being pretty disappointed by the back nine of Thimbleweed Park really sapped our desire to go back that far.

As for the others, basically never played them. (Like, I played The Dig for like 20 minutes when I was in 9th grade?) I loved Grim Fandango back in the day "Look out pigeons! It's Robert Frost!", and still really liked it playing the remaster, though that game has its flaws. Are Full Throttle / the original Sam and Max comparable to GF?

As for Telltale games, I played Season 1 of the 'recent' Sam and Max (the one with the cool soundtrack and where episode 4 is Abe Lincoln Must Die!) about ten years ago, and liked it okay. I saw the Tales of Monkey Island go by in my searching, but considering how it went down with Telltale, I was trying to decide if I felt it is morally okay to purchase them. (I admit, I don't think an answer exists for that question, but it's part of why I didn't just buy it on spec.) Beyond that, I don't really care about any of the licenses they had.

FWIW, I always thought the Walking Dead looked like complete poo poo. (Key word there: looked. I never played it, so I'm probably wrong.) Like, the quick-time event stuff to kick a zombie in the face does absolutely nothing for me, especially now that I'm trying to find something to play at whatever pace I want. I think that was published when people were big into offering moral choices in games and all that, but honestly, I just want a nice story that will engage my logical mind. Do the other games such as The Wolf Among Us have that QTE garbage in it or are they more traditional?

I guess I should have added that part of the reason I'm looking is because modern actions games have started to make me motion sick as I get older, so I don't think I could play the David Cage games. (Like, I managed to play a little of the rebooted Tomb Raider but could not do the new Hitman, much to my dismay.) As I typed all this up, I also remembered playing the Sherlock Holmes game Crime and Punishments on Xbox forever ago. I heard the sequel sucked, but something in that vein might be a good choice. That specific game is in first person so maybe I couldn't play it for the same reason, but it was a decent puzzler and it was interesting that it would let you make the incorrect conclusion.

I appreciate the inclusion of the Phoenix Wright info, but I also heard that the rest of the series isn't as good as the first three anyway? Are they worth it? I see people streaming some later Game Boy ones sometimes, but can never grok what is happening.

Yeah... maybe I should just spring for it and and not be 10 years behind for once.

Based on this my recommendations are: play Day of the Tentacle, it's nothing like Maniac Mansion or Thimbleweed Park. It's on par with Monkey Island 2. The Dig and Full Throttle are less funny games but still excellent adventures. Ignore the recent Telltale games if you are allergic to QTE. If you think Telltale's Sam & Max was OK, you have to try the Lucasart's original one, there's just no comparison. I don't think any studio has ever come close to Lucasart's mastery in adventure games. They are true classics that will never get old (just keep a walkthrough nearby if you ever get stuck)

e: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is really good too

e2: more recomemendations you might like: Life is Strange (that one might be too much motion sickness inducing) and The Darkside Detective

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 18, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Magnetic North posted:

The Blackwell Series, Unavowed, and whatever else from that developer.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

The Blackwell Series, Unavowed, and whatever else from that developer.

Oh, those people did The Shivah. Watched an LP of that back in the day. It seemed excellent, if maybe a bit short. I had no idea it was a real studio and not just some individual.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I never liked adventure games and still don’t, but I played Shivah and Technobabylon to the end. Technobabylon has a good soundtrack. I still don’t think they’re amazing game experiences, but they’re very solid and I enjoyed playing them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tales of Monkey Island was before the company went off the deep end and was still a team of people all working together to bring back adventure games just because they loved adventure games so much. They didn't get uncomfortable until after they made Walking Dead and decided to make every game exactly like that. There is no moral aspect to purchasing games produced by the company because the company literally no longer exists. I'm not even entirely sure how many of their games you can actually still buy, because their sudden demise left a lot of rights up in the air.

Each Telltale Sam & Max season is geometrically better than the last, but if you're worried about Season 2 dragging you down, Season 3: The Devil's Toybox is amazing and probably the best thing Telltale's ever did. It's fantastic.

There's also Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People if you like Homestar Runner, and Puzzle Agent 1 & 2 are real neat games I can't fully describe. It's sort of like Professor Layton but creepy?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Shout-out for the Chzo recommendation.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Ok but anyway is there anything modern that feels like heydey Ultima games? Like the kinda 5/6/7 era?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Funktor posted:

Ok but anyway is there anything modern that feels like heydey Ultima games? Like the kinda 5/6/7 era?

Spiderweb Software games maybe.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Looking for a PS4/Switch game my wife and I can play when we are drunk/high/both.

For the most part we'd been loving with the Clubhouse Games collection on Switch, Mario Party 8 on Switch, and those lovely hidden objects games by Artifex Mundi on PS4/Switch.

We're looking for something that's fun and simple, with little to no story to get in the way. Something that's for two people only (not looking for online multiplayer).

Any good recs?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Re: adventure games. I wanna put in a word for the endless Nancy Drew games on Steam. Their budget and relative jankiness tend to vary some, but they are legit mystery adventure games.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for a PS4/Switch game my wife and I can play when we are drunk/high/both.

For the most part we'd been loving with the Clubhouse Games collection on Switch, Mario Party 8 on Switch, and those lovely hidden objects games by Artifex Mundi on PS4/Switch.

We're looking for something that's fun and simple, with little to no story to get in the way. Something that's for two people only (not looking for online multiplayer).

Any good recs?

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Overcooked
The Jackbox packs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Overcooked
The Jackbox packs

Have all those already, unfortunately.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Mordiceius posted:

Have all those already, unfortunately.

In order of recommendation (some I played on PC, can't say to their PS4/Switch performance)
Moving Out is solid couch coop chaos on PS4, probably the best game in the genre that's not Overcooked.
Catastronauts is great if you just want more Overcooked.
Out of Space has very little content, but is fun enough for a few hours.
Tools Up! has way too much content, but is fun enough until it gets repetitive.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magnetic North posted:

It's not modern but beneath a steel sky

It just got a sequel, too

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Mordiceius posted:

Any good recs?

Moving Out on the Switch. Overcooked level simple bit more chill and fun imo.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I'm about to graduate college and I have some free time in the evenings and weekends now. I'm looking for a single player focused adventure/story/~experience~ PC game. Last SP game I played to completion was RDR2 on PC and wow, it's hard to top that. It doesn't help that I loved RDR1 but together I think they're the greatest game of all time for me. Before that I put about 100 hours into Fallout 4 and I enjoyed it well enough even though the Bethesda-ness of the whole franchise is really grating now, overall I'd say I got my moneys worth but the game sucked.

I tried Divinity: Original Sin 2 a few weeks back and though I felt it was a good game I just couldn't get into it. I enjoyed the combat and played plenty of NWN/Baldurs Gate/Planescape back in the day, so I like the genre, it just didn't click. I also played halfway through Witcher 1 and maybe 10 hours into Witcher 2, with the same experience, that I felt it was a good game that had aspects I enjoyed, but I just didn't care to go back to it.

The game doesn't need to be an RPG, it can be a shooter or whatever, I'm just looking for an immersive story experience. Any ideas?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Death Stranding!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I'm about to graduate college and I have some free time in the evenings and weekends now. I'm looking for a single player focused adventure/story/~experience~ PC game. Last SP game I played to completion was RDR2 on PC and wow, it's hard to top that. It doesn't help that I loved RDR1 but together I think they're the greatest game of all time for me. Before that I put about 100 hours into Fallout 4 and I enjoyed it well enough even though the Bethesda-ness of the whole franchise is really grating now, overall I'd say I got my moneys worth but the game sucked.

I tried Divinity: Original Sin 2 a few weeks back and though I felt it was a good game I just couldn't get into it. I enjoyed the combat and played plenty of NWN/Baldurs Gate/Planescape back in the day, so I like the genre, it just didn't click. I also played halfway through Witcher 1 and maybe 10 hours into Witcher 2, with the same experience, that I felt it was a good game that had aspects I enjoyed, but I just didn't care to go back to it.

The game doesn't need to be an RPG, it can be a shooter or whatever, I'm just looking for an immersive story experience. Any ideas?

Witcher 1/2 never clicked with me neither, but Witcher 3 did. Some of the quests are extremely well written.

And of course, Disco Elysium :D

e: Subnautica is pretty immersive too :downsrim:

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 19, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

If you want a truly immersive story experience, Hellblade is an unforgettable 6-8 hours. 100% must play with headphones.

I'd also recommend Horizon Zero Dawn here if you're one of the few who don't have problems running it on PC. Really surprising and intelligently written story for a game whose core concept is robot dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Hard to top the rec for death stranding, that fits your needs to a T

e: disregard the rec, missed the PC requirement

nachos fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 19, 2020